What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

New Year's Day - what is your protocol? I've got black-eyed peas and cabbage on the menu for good luck? Anything else I should add to improve my 2015 fortunes?

Details:

Cabbage = coleslaw. Real simple - chopped cabbage, purple onion, red bell with shredded carrot mixed with a little sugar, salt, olive oil and cider vinegar. Already mellowing in the fridge.

Black-eyed peas - I will give them the beans and rice treatment. Soak then drain; then simmer until soft adding bacon, chopped serrano and onion along the way. Will serve over a bed of rice.

Other considerations: Got fresh beets, portobellos and avocados that are not gonna eat themselves. Will definitely serve the beet greens alongside the black-eyed peas and coleslaw. Also have instant corn masa for making fresh corn tortillas. This sounds crazy (not drunk, yet), but I'm thinking about roasting the beets and topping tortillas with mashed beets and avocados, like a psychedelic veggie taco. Not sure how I will season/spice, but hopefully I can come up with something that ties everything together.

Made this last night. Got it from theKitchn.com, wonderful website, great recipes.

Braised French Onion Chicken with Gruyère

serves 4 to 6

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pounds onions, sliced into thin half-moons
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 small sprigs thyme, leaves only
4-inch sprig rosemary
2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely grated or shaved (about 1 cup)

Melt the butter in a deep 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted completely and foams up, add the onions. They will fill the pan to the top, at this point. Stir as you add the onions to coat them in the butter. Sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Cook the onions for about 40 minutes over low or medium heat, stirring occasionally.

When the onions have developed an evenly light beige color throughout, add the garlic, thyme leaves, and whole rosemary sprig, and cook for a few minutes more, stirring frequently. Turn the heat up to high and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently. You want dark, slightly burnt spots to appear on the onions, and for them to develop a rich mahogany color. When the onions get quite dark, add 1 cup of the beef or chicken broth. Add it slowly, stirring and scraping the pan vigorously to scrape up any burnt or stuck-on bits. When the liquid has been added, bring it back up to a simmer and simmer lightly for 5 minutes, or until it is somewhat reduced.

Take the onions off the heat and pour them into a 3-quart oven-safe dish with a lid. (If you don't have a Dutch oven or another oven-safe dish with a lid, you can use a 9x13-inch baking dish. Just cover it tightly with a double layer of foil.)

Heat the oven to 325°F.

While the onions are cooking, brown the chicken. Heat another 10-inch or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken thighs dry and season lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.

When the skillet is hot, add the thighs and brown for about 3 minutes on each side, 6 minutes total. When they've developed a golden-brown crust, remove from the pan and set on top of the caramelized onions in the baking dish.

Add the remaining 1 cup broth to the pan. Stir vigorously, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Pour this sauce over the chicken and onions, and put the lid on the baking dish. The chicken and onions will look quite saucy; there will be plenty of liquid in the baking dish.

(At this point you can refrigerate the dish for up to 48 hours. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before baking, or else add about 5 minutes to the bake time.)

Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and turn the heat up to broil. Take the lid off the baking dish, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the chicken. When the broiler has heated up, return the dish to the oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden on top.
This was delicious, very easy to do, just required some time and attention. If you like French Onion Soup, this is right up your alley. Kids liked it even though they aren't big onion fans, just served them chicken and sauce without onions and they were fine! One key that I missed was to buy some french bread for dipping into the sauce, will do that next time!

Made this last night. Got it from theKitchn.com, wonderful website, great recipes.

serves 4 to 6

3 tablespoons unsalted butter2 pounds onions, sliced into thin half-moons

4 garlic cloves, sliced2 small sprigs thyme, leaves only4-inch sprig rosemary2 cups chicken broth, divided1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar2 tablespoons Dijon mustard3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs2 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely grated or shaved (about 1 cup)

Melt the butter in a deep 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted completely and foams up, add the onions. They will fill the pan to the top, at this point. Stir as you add the onions to coat them in the butter. Sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Cook the onions for about 40 minutes over low or medium heat, stirring occasionally.

When the onions have developed an evenly light beige color throughout, add the garlic, thyme leaves, and whole rosemary sprig, and cook for a few minutes more, stirring frequently. Turn the heat up to high and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently. You want dark, slightly burnt spots to appear on the onions, and for them to develop a rich mahogany color. When the onions get quite dark, add 1 cup of the beef or chicken broth. Add it slowly, stirring and scraping the pan vigorously to scrape up any burnt or stuck-on bits. When the liquid has been added, bring it back up to a simmer and simmer lightly for 5 minutes, or until it is somewhat reduced.

Take the onions off the heat and pour them into a 3-quart oven-safe dish with a lid. (If you don't have a Dutch oven or another oven-safe dish with a lid, you can use a 9x13-inch baking dish. Just cover it tightly with a double layer of foil.)

Heat the oven to 325°F.

While the onions are cooking, brown the chicken. Heat another 10-inch or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken thighs dry and season lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.

When the skillet is hot, add the thighs and brown for about 3 minutes on each side, 6 minutes total. When they've developed a golden-brown crust, remove from the pan and set on top of the caramelized onions in the baking dish.

Add the remaining 1 cup broth to the pan. Stir vigorously, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Pour this sauce over the chicken and onions, and put the lid on the baking dish. The chicken and onions will look quite saucy; there will be plenty of liquid in the baking dish.

(At this point you can refrigerate the dish for up to 48 hours. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before baking, or else add about 5 minutes to the bake time.)

Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and turn the heat up to broil. Take the lid off the baking dish, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the chicken. When the broiler has heated up, return the dish to the oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden on top.
This was delicious, very easy to do, just required some time and attention. If you like French Onion Soup, this is right up your alley. Kids liked it even though they aren't big onion fans, just served them chicken and sauce without onions and they were fine! One key that I missed was to buy some french bread for dipping into the sauce, will do that next time!
That looks really good!

The recipe mentions to try and get the onions to a dark mahogany color. Does that mean to use red onions?

serves 4 to 6

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 pounds onions, sliced into thin half-moons

4 garlic cloves, sliced

2 small sprigs thyme, leaves only

4-inch sprig rosemary

2 cups chicken broth, divided

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs

2 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely grated or shaved (about 1 cup)

Heat the oven to 325°F.

That looks really good!

The recipe mentions to try and get the onions to a dark mahogany color. Does that mean to use red onions?
No, if you use yellow onions (I used Mayan - sweet, like Vidalia) and cook it for the 40 minutes like the recipe states, they will get dark; you are almost caramelizing them. I wouldn't worry about how dark they are, when you add the balsamic vinegar, the onions turn almost chocolaty-colored.

I want to grind steak for hamburgers and pork butt for sausages.

What recommendations do you have for what I should buy for this? I do not own a fancy mixer in case one of the recommendations is an attachment for a mixer.

I had an idea, Fried Chicken with chunks of bacon put into the batter. Anyone ever try it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up some awesome looking beef short ribs today.

I am probably just going to go with traditional braise (onions, celery, carrots, beef stock etc).

Any recommendations to try something different with these? (note that my Big Green Egg and gas grill are still snowed in)

RedmondLonghorn said:
NewlyRetired said:

I am probably just going to go with traditional braise (onions, celery, carrots, beef stock etc).

Any recommendations to try something different with these? (note that my Big Green Egg and gas grill are still snowed in)
I have not made it, but this recipe caught my eye the other day:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/02/dave-ls-braised-short-ribs/
I like that flavor profile but I can't make the chocolate part work in my head. I never cook savory dishes with chocolate so there is a built in ignorance/bias.

RedmondLonghorn said:
NewlyRetired said:

I like that flavor profile but I can't make the chocolate part work in my head. I never cook savory dishes with chocolate so there is a built in ignorance/bias.
Do you do chili with a bit of chocolate? Like Judge Smails'?

RedmondLonghorn said:
NewlyRetired said:

No, I never use any choco in savory dishes. I make a ton of different chili's but am afraid to experiment with chocolate for some reason :)

RedmondLonghorn said:
NewlyRetired said:

No, I never use any choco in savory dishes. I make a ton of different chili's but am afraid to experiment with chocolate for some reason :)
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it :D

anyone ever used a Himalayan Salt Block for cooking? Got one for xmas and looking for some advice
Fired this thing up last night. Threw some flank steak on there and it was perfectly flavored
really like this thing. does a great job :thumbup:
How much direct heat can that handle? It is very cool looking.
I do 20 minutes on the lowest setting, then 20 minutes on medium, then 20 minutes on high. That should be about 500 degrees give or take

What are the pro's and cons to braising in oven vs stove top?
I am not 100% sure, but I would assume braising in the oven results in lower odds of the stuff on the bottom getting scorched.
Exactly. In an oven, you get basically the entire environment - above, below, around the sides - at a steady temp. Say, 300F. There's no way for any spot on the vessel or in your food to get hotter than that.

On the stove, you've got all of the heat directly below the vessel, and at a much higher temp (I'm seeing ~1700F for gas flame and 400-500F for an electric element). Even with air space, you're still exposing the bottom of the vessel to a higher temp and relying on the material to distribute the heat through the food evenly without getting the bottom too hot.

If you've got enough liquid to float everything else, you probably don't have to worry about burning anything, but any solids that rest on the bottom are in danger.

My wife refuses to eat store bought sausages so my mom told me when she gets back from Florida, she will teach me how to make them.

I think I want to use a boneless pork butt for the meat but I am completely clueless about what and where to buy the casings. Can I get them in a normal super market and what are the different choices?

The baby back ribs at Whole Foods looked great so I bought them.

I have almost zero options to prep them correctly though where I live (no smoker and never made them before).

I'm thinking I'm going to rub them in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and lite brown sugar. Place them on a bed of onions in my slow cooker. Cover the bottom with a can of coke so there is some liquid in there and cook on low for 8 hours.

Pull them out and glaze them with BBQ sauce and finish them on the grill for about 5-10 minutes until the BBQ sauce carmelizes.

Any issues with the above? It's easter, most stores aren't open, so if there any alternate suggestions, it's gotta be limited to stuff I have on hand.

ETA: I have liquid smoke too - will add some of that to the slow cooker

The baby back ribs at Whole Foods looked great so I bought them.

I have almost zero options to prep them correctly though where I live (no smoker and never made them before).

I'm thinking I'm going to rub them in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and lite brown sugar. Place them on a bed of onions in my slow cooker. Cover the bottom with a can of coke so there is some liquid in there and cook on low for 8 hours.

Pull them out and glaze them with BBQ sauce and finish them on the grill for about 5-10 minutes until the BBQ sauce carmelizes.

Any issues with the above? It's easter, most stores aren't open, so if there any alternate suggestions, it's gotta be limited to stuff I have on hand.

ETA: I have liquid smoke too - will add some of that to the slow cooker
Don't forget to remove the membrane before you add your spice rub.

http://youtu.be/uQVIMKDpZfg

I am making ribs today myself (on my Egg)

Serving 30 people today. Crown roast of pork with fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil rub and cornbread stuffing on the Egg. Also doing a beef tenderloin in the oven, served w Gorgonzola sauce (Ina Garten recipe). Someone else is bringing a lasagna, and another bringing ziti, chicken and broccoli. Bunch of other sides, veggie, apps etc.

Just back from a 7 mile run and starving but holding out until two...Happy Easter everyone

Serving 30 people today. Crown roast of pork with fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil rub and cornbread stuffing on the Egg. Also doing a beef tenderloin in the oven, served w Gorgonzola sauce (Ina Garten recipe). Someone else is bringing a lasagna, and another bringing ziti, chicken and broccoli. Bunch of other sides, veggie, apps etc.

Just back from a 7 mile run and starving but holding out until two...Happy Easter everyone
Yikes - 30! Menu sounds great though.

Ribeyes, hashbrown cheesy casserole with/crunchy topping, 7 layer salad, green beans roasted with bacon and cinnamon swirl butter cake.

Am on a shrimp ceviche kick and am now looking to master my own version.

Unlike traditional ceviche (which "cooks" the seafood with the lime/lemon juice, it seems many recipes for shrimp call for quick cooking then shocking the shrimp.

Eventually I'll move on to include whitefish as well. Anyone feel like they have this dish down. It's pretty simple stuff but always nice to get input.

ETA: for recipes that call for a lot of lime juice, the price of limes relative to bulk lime juice from Amazon (under $20 for a gallon) makes the juice a no brainer.

Made a 2 gallon batch of seafood gumbo today. I used 3 lbs of shrimp, 1.5 lbs of picked crab meat, and 1 lb of andouille sausage. Made stock with the crab and shrimp shells. I used a half pound less okra than I usually do, so the batch ended up smaller than then usual 2.5-3 gallons it usually makes. Not my best batch ever, but pretty damn good.

Before:

Http://i.imgur.com/45tWkgF.jpg

After:

http://i.imgur.com/GYlhy1O.jpg

I made the roux using the grease from 3 gourmet bacons I got as a gift (jalapeño, Cajun, black pepper). It gave it a nice kick.

Made a 2 gallon batch of seafood gumbo today. I used 3 lbs of shrimp, 1.5 lbs of picked crab meat, and 1 lb of andouille sausage. Made stock with the crab and shrimp shells. I used a half pound less okra than I usually do, so the batch ended up smaller than then usual 2.5-3 gallons it usually makes. Not my best batch ever, but pretty damn good.

Before:

Http://i.imgur.com/45tWkgF.jpg

After:

http://i.imgur.com/GYlhy1O.jpg

I made the roux using the grease from 3 gourmet bacons I got as a gift (jalapeño, Cajun, black pepper). It gave it a nice kick.
Looks awesome

Anyone cook anything good lately?

The taste isn't for everyone, but just a splash or two of Cream Sherry (found in most wine/liquor sections) can adds tons of flavor to items. I like it in things that contain tomato (marinara, stews, etc).

I am going to try empanadas this weekend. I am going to make the dough fresh (although dough is by far one of my weak spots as a cook).

I have been making a lot of fresh pasta lately. It has gone well except for one thing.

The one item I struggle with is getting the spaghetti from the machine to the drying rack. I feel like I have to spend a long time individually separating the strands on the rack so that they don't touch and adhere as they dry. I don't have this issue with fettuccine as the wider strands seems to fall and separate much easier on the rack.

Are there any tricks to getting spaghetti to lay nicer when first put on the rack?

I have been making a lot of fresh pasta lately. It has gone well except for one thing.

The one item I struggle with is getting the spaghetti from the machine to the drying rack. I feel like I have to spend a long time individually separating the strands on the rack so that they don't touch and adhere as they dry. I don't have this issue with fettuccine as the wider strands seems to fall and separate much easier on the rack.

Are there any tricks to getting spaghetti to lay nicer when first put on the rack?
How do you make fresh pasta? Any recipes for this?

How do you make fresh pasta? Any recipes for this?
There are many variations on the dough. It can be egg based or not.

The flour can be a mixture (again, many different varieties) of semolina, all purpose and durham.

Here is a basic short video to show the technique using the pasta machines that roll the dough into pasta sheets and then how you cut the sheets

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/homemade-pasta-0151120.html

I tried something very different the other day based on a recipe Eddie Jackson did from the Food Network Star show.

I started with some very nice squash and zucchini. Using a carrot peeler, I removed the skin and then thin sliced the vegetables into long ribbons.

On side I made a lemon, butter and chicken stock based sauce.

The vege noodles were then quickly sauteed and tossed in the sauce. Came out great, turning the veggies into pasta like noodles.

I tried something very different the other day based on a recipe Eddie Jackson did from the Food Network Star show.

I started with some very nice squash and zucchini. Using a carrot peeler, I removed the skin and then thin sliced the vegetables into long ribbons.

The vege noodles were then quickly sauteed and tossed in the sauce. Came out great, turning the veggies into pasta like noodles.
I have one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchen-Spiral-Shred-Vegetable-Fruit-Process-Device-Cutter-Slicer-Peeler-Tool-WW/161679677371?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D318373d0735b47359077ae135ecf7c58%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D261814791982

It actually makes it much more like pasta than just a vegetable peeler. I use it all the time.

I have one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchen-Spiral-Shred-Vegetable-Fruit-Process-Device-Cutter-Slicer-Peeler-Tool-WW/161679677371?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D318373d0735b47359077ae135ecf7c58%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D261814791982

It actually makes it much more like pasta than just a vegetable peeler. I use it all the time.
I like that!

But how does that work for veggies that are much bigger than the opening? The summer squash I used was probably 3 times that size in width. For this recipe I did, I was only suppose to peel down to the seed layer and no further.

I have one of these.

Purchased. Estimated shipping Aug 28 - Sept 30. oof

Users who are viewing this thread