What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

DrJ said:
Nah, even if everyone in the country got it it would still be hard pressed to hit 2 million because it's simply not that dangerous.
330 million people x 50% infected x 1% death rate = 1.65M dead.

It's not really that crazy to get close to 2M dead with reasonable assumptions.

Politician Spock said:
Yes, the bigger the "dose" you initially catch, the harder it is for your immune system to beat. If an area has an issue with a lot of people sneezing directly into other people's mouths from 2 inches away, then they would see a higher death per case ratio than other areas. I've only been to NYC a few times, and never witnessed such behavior. Have I missed something?
Yes, the Subway.

DrJ said:
Yes, a radiologist.   A guy that went to medical school far longer than you, I'm sure.      And there are plenty of others...the guy that shared the article with me was also a radiologist for example.   

And one only needs a small measure of common sense to see through the crap you guys are spewing.
A radiologist.   Is the radiologist an infectious disease expert?  

My BIL is a rheumatologist.   One of his BFFs is a doctor who specializes in infectious disease.  Spent lots of time in the Congo.   My BIL has made it very clear that he doesn't know jack #### about COVID compared to his BFF.   But yeah, I'm going to take my direction from a random radiologist.

DrJ said:
There's plenty of doctors that say this was a ridiculous overreaction.     This one was written by a radiologist.     https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation?fbclid=IwAR0v3YF87K-upxDjJUNqte9KKrebXsHh3Mas7MxW_4o1Gazkj2AK-XWILKc

Stop acting like there's universal agreement.      A bunch of smart, educated people think most of you are lunatics.   I'm one of them.
That opinion piece isn’t wrong. It may not be perfect either, but it’s probably a decent premise to start from when considering slowly opening some things back up.

The NY Times piece on comorbidities is also really eye opening.

The data and statistics will help guide good decisions. Keep the testing going, ramp it up like crazy. Keep the science on the forefront.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
While I was there I would buy one of those weekly passes (maybe it was a monthly pass, but I was only there for a week at a time). Rode the subway a lot. Especially as I went sight seeing.

Never had anyone sneeze two inches from my mouth.
someone could have sneezed or coughed into their hands prior to boarding, then touched any number of surfaces (bannisters, handrails, straps, seats) to spread it - one doesn't need to literally blow into your mug. 

You're telling me this post came before mitigation?
Yes. The first government mitigation efforts in the US began around March 13th when,  for example, Ohio Governor DeWine announced schools would be closed starting March 16th. Then over the next 10 days or so the country started shutting down. It takes weeks to see the results of mitigation, and at the time areas, such as New York City, were sucking hard at the mitigation efforts.  There was absolutely no way on March 26 to factor in mitigation to any projection when mitigation efforts are a HUGE variable. 

• Love
someone could have sneezed or coughed into their hands prior to boarding, then touched any number of surfaces (bannisters, handrails, straps, seats) to spread it - one doesn't need to literally blow into your mug. 
I know. That's not what we're talking about.

We were talking about how receiving a larger dose of the virus would cause a more severe experience of the virus, and how someone sneezing two inches from your mouth would cause you to get a larger does than touching an infected surface. 

Yes. The first government mitigation efforts in the US began around March 13th when,  for example, Ohio Governor DeWine announced schools would be closed starting March 16th. Then over the next 10 days or so the country started shutting down. It takes weeks to see the results of mitigation, and at the time areas, such as New York City, were sucking hard at the mitigation efforts.  There was absolutely no way on March 26 to factor in mitigation to any projection when mitigation efforts are a HUGE variable. 
Ok nice spin job

While I was there I would buy one of those weekly passes (maybe it was a monthly pass, but I was only there for a week at a time). Rode the subway a lot. Especially as I went sight seeing.

Never had anyone sneeze two inches from my mouth.

Sneezing is also not one of the typical symptoms of COVID-19. 
I was being somewhat facetious. However, I'm convinced the subway system in NYC and surrounding areas is among the greatest reasons the spread has been so great there.

I haven't been on most mass-transit systems throughout the country but I've been on many, and NONE of them come close to the experience of the subways in NYC. Just packed, butts to nuts, much of the time. I can't think of a single other time in my life I was forced to be that 'intimate' with complete strangers, except for perhaps during Mardi Gras during my college days. It HAS to be a huge factor.

That opinion piece isn’t wrong. It may not be perfect either, but it’s probably a decent premise to start from when considering slowly opening some things back up.

The NY Times piece on comorbidities is also really eye opening.

The data and statistics will help guide good decisions. Keep the testing going, ramp it up like crazy. Keep the science on the forefront.
Matches up pretty well with the data out of italy. 

Eta: oh great i am the first post on this page. 

Link to study on comorbidities

Here is another link that was on last page. 

Another

Last edited by a moderator:
I was being somewhat facetious. However, I'm convinced the subway system in NYC and surrounding areas is among the greatest reasons the spread has been so great there.

I haven't been on most mass-transit systems throughout the country but I've been on many, and NONE of them come close to the experience of the subways in NYC. Just packed, butts to nuts, much of the time. I can't think of a single other time in my life I was forced to be that 'intimate' with complete strangers, except for perhaps during Mardi Gras during my college days. It HAS to be a huge factor.
I completely agree. The dynamics of NYC produced a rate of virus spread that no other area of the country could possibly reproduce. 

But once you are infected by it, the rate of spread it took to finally reach you has absolutely nothing to do with how your body experiences the infection.

Some people here are arguing that the deaths NYC is experiencing isn't applicable to other area because the virus won't spread there as fast. I disagree. IMHO yhey will experience the same amount of deaths. The slower spread the experience will just make it take longer to get there. If people were dying in NYC because people at risk of dying were being denied hospital care, then I would agree that areas with slower spread won't have that issue and would have less deaths. But that's not happening in NYC. Residents in NYC have just as much access to hospitalization as the rest of the US with slower rates of spread. 

And then some are arguing that people in NYC will die more from this because there is more pollution there, or they get bigger doses of the virus there, or other reasons. Basically they're just coming up with any reason possible to say what is happening in NYC is an outlier and should be ignored. 

I completely agree. The dynamics of NYC produced a rate of virus spread that no other area of the country could possibly reproduce. 

But once you are infected by it, the rate of spread it took to finally reach you has absolutely nothing to do with how your body experiences the infection.

Some people here are arguing that the deaths NYC is experiencing isn't applicable to other area because the virus won't spread there as fast. I disagree. IMHO yhey will experience the same amount of deaths. The slower spread the experience will just make it take longer to get there. If people were dying in NYC because people at risk of dying were being denied hospital care, then I would agree that areas with slower spread won't have that issue and would have less deaths. But that's not happening in NYC. Residents in NYC have just as much access to hospitalization as the rest of the US with slower rates of spread. 

And then some are arguing that people in NYC will die more from this because there is more pollution there, or they get bigger doses of the virus there, or other reasons. Basically they're just coming up with any reason possible to say what is happening in NYC is an outlier and should be ignored. 
Agree with all that. But, I would ask you or anyone else who might have an idea: is the fact that you are a subway rider for perhaps 20-30 minutes, breathing the same circulated air as dozens or hundreds of others, often with mouths 6-12 inches apart, sufficient to infect you with a 'high does' of viral load? I mean, nobody has to actually sneeze in your mouth for you to still be treated to a great amount of their viral shedding via their breath. Correct? And if so, the WAY in which New Yorkers are catching the virus could potentially make them sicker and thereby raise fatality rates.

Agree with all that. But, I would ask you or anyone else who might have an idea: is the fact that you are a subway rider for perhaps 20-30 minutes, breathing the same circulated air as dozens or hundreds of others, often with mouths 6-12 inches apart, sufficient to infect you with a 'high does' of viral load? I mean, nobody has to actually sneeze in your mouth for you to still be treated to a great amount of their viral shedding via their breath. Correct? And if so, the WAY in which New Yorkers are catching the virus could potentially make them sicker and thereby raise fatality rates.
I'm not sure. I don't need to be an infectious disease expert to know if someone sneezes 2 inches from your mouth to know you'll get a high dosage of whatever their sneeze has.

My understand is the virus rides in the air on droplets, and the droplets that come from ones mouth are contingent on what the person did to expel the droplet. For example, yelling will produce large droplets, whereas simply breathing produces small droplets. Small droplets would result in small dosages of infection. I would think an office where a lot of people shout at each other would be worse than a subway where people don't talk to each other, at least in regards to how bad the air is. The surface areas of a subway would be far worse than the office, but again, surfaces result in small dosages. But again, I'm not an infectious disease expert. It's just my opinion. 

• Smile
But the majority of people don't work in tech, and not everyone that does stopped working that early. I feel like the 10x discrepancy between NYC deaths and SF deaths per capita is not fully covered by that change, but maybe I am wrong. It just seems like there is still some missing puzzle piece, or the early exposure numbers need more analysis.
It's not just one thing. It's everything combined.

The Bay Area isn't as dense. A lot of people commute in cars vs public transit. Large corporations had employees work from home earlier. The local government was encouraging people to stay home even before shelter in place. 

Rush hour tube in London, or subway in Tokyo is an experience of packedness tho don’t oft experience in NYC. I’ve been sardined in all of them, but more rare to literally have no space left in NYC, while common on the others.
Leaving Wrigley on the L after a game/show can be a treat as well. Nothing compared to those Indian trains tho 

I'm not sure. I don't need to be an infectious disease expert to know if someone sneezes 2 inches from your mouth to know you'll get a high dosage of whatever their sneeze has.

My understand is the virus rides in the air on droplets, and the droplets that come from ones mouth are contingent on what the person did to expel the droplet. For example, yelling will produce large droplets, whereas simply breathing produces small droplets. Small droplets would result in small dosages of infection. I would think an office where a lot of people shout at each other would be worse than a subway where people don't talk to each other, at least in regards to how bad the air is. The surface areas of a subway would be far worse than the office, but again, surfaces result in small dosages. But again, I'm not an infectious disease expert. It's just my opinion. 
IIRC, you said it will just take longer for less dense areas to spread, but the mortality rates of those infected will be similar, assuming equal care?  For example, 1000 people in NYC and 1000 people in Alaska get infected.  With access to the same health care, are you saying the death rates should be similar?

FWIW...it's been all the rage here in Florida from the beginning.  People seem to believe if we get to summer it's going to magically disappear.  This is all anecdotal and specific to Florida of course.  Don't know what local yokels are saying elsewhere.
There are Florida memes for a reason 

Or January.

The flu test is only about 50% accurate. So what people had, was most likely the flu
Contemporary flu testing is better than 50% accurate - it's PCR based, just like that used for COVID-19. The old antigen test was less accurate.

Regardless, there are many situations in medicine when a definitive diagnosis isn't made. Up until COVID, the protocol for flu-like illness was exclude influenza if the patient presented early enough, as Tamiflu and other flu medicines only are beneficial in the first couple days after symptoms' onset. There are other tests for respiratory viruses (including non-Covid coronaviruses, parainfluenza, rhinoviruses, etc.) but they are rarely done, because those viruses have no specific treatment and the tests cost hundreds of dollars.

Unless SARS-CoV-2 mutated early on to become more virulent (not evident on nextstrain.org), there's little reason to believe it was here much earlier than advertised. If it were, we'd have seen far more severe pneumonias and ARDS without an underlying etiology - a clustering of such illness would surely raise some eyebrows. As far as I can tell, the only new respiratory illness on the radar before Covid-19 was that associated with vaping.

ETA IMO, the fact that clinicians were on high alert through the fall and winter of 2019/20 for weird respiratory failure from vaping really makes it less likely early COVID would have escaped notice.

Justaflu bros won't ever be right. This is far more contagious than the flu. The problem is the "justaflu" label gets applied far too broadly. Justaflu bros are the extreme and low populated group of people who are congregating in the tens and hundreds demanding we open everything today and that this was all a hoax. A segment here and in other places wants to toss anyone who disagrees with them into that same bin. What's really funny and goes to your point is the fact that scientists and doctors have used the flu to compare and contrast from the start. Yet when anyone cited them, they drew the "justaflu" label from people here like everyone knows who. Now there are literally people from the CDC and the medical community admitting there is a likelihood many Covid-19 cases were mistaken as the flu. Just another example why painting others with broad strokes and "when in doubt - name call" is such a pathetic form of discussion.
Influenza-like illness (ILI) = fever + cough OR sore throat.

Influenza and Covid-19 both present as ILIs, as do a number of other (mostly viral) infections.

It's not wrong to compare Covid-19 to flu. They share many similarities. But it is wrong to say Covid-19 is just a flu.

Covid-19 is deadlier, spreads more easily and leads to far more hospitalizations than non-pandemic influenza. It also may cause more cardiac and pulmonary sequelae than flu, though this remains to be seen. And it might not be seasonal.

And part of that is because they've shut off access to medical care for people that need it.
You have any data to support this?

FTR, hospitals are still open for people with illnesses other than Covid-19. Elective procedures have been postponed, but it's unlikely those delays have led to many, if any deaths. But hospital finances are suffering from the lack of business. 

That completely ignores hospital capacity. It's indisputable that a person living in a place where the hospital isn't overrun stands a better chance to survive this than if that same person walked into a hospital bursting at the seams.  They simply won't receive the same level of treatment. Even Cuomo is saying as much.
Yep. And a hospital doesn't need to be 100%+ capacity to be overwhelmed. C-19 patients use a lot more resources than average patients, including the time of healthcare providers.

IIRC, you said it will just take longer for less dense areas to spread, but the mortality rates of those infected will be similar, assuming equal care?  For example, 1000 people in NYC and 1000 people in Alaska get infected.  With access to the same health care, are you saying the death rates should be similar?
Yes

And FTR, the preferred term is infectious/infecting dose, or viral inoculum. Viral load usually refers to how much virus is present in the blood or bodily secretions after infection has occurred - it's used to monitor response to therapy for HIV and viral hepatitis, but has no role for COVID-19.

FWIW...it's been all the rage here in Florida from the beginning.  People seem to believe if we get to summer it's going to magically disappear.  This is all anecdotal and specific to Florida of course.  Don't know what local yokels are saying elsewhere.
Gotta disagree here. 

As a FL resident, I don't think I've heard a single person indicate they think this will go away once summer arrives.  Sure, some have said that the heat could help slow it down some....but not eliminate it completely.

Florida gets enough of a bad rap.  Let's not add to it please.

According to worldometers we have crossed over 50k deaths and there seems to be no downward trend of cases and deaths which seem just stuck at just under 30k and just over 2k, respectively. Sometimes for each are on other side of that line such as cases yesterday but generally those are our daily numbers. 

Really depressing to see these numbers, I had hoped the plateau would have start seen decreasing numbers by now given the social distancing we have all done but not apparent yet. 

Gotta disagree here. 

As a FL resident, I don't think I've heard a single person indicate they think this will go away once summer arrives.  Sure, some have said that the heat could help slow it down some....but not eliminate it completely.

It's been all over the place here in Central Florida :shrug:  

Guess I shouldn't have said "all the rage here in Florida"...rather "central Florida"?  And I made it clear these were anecdotes of what I've heard/observed.  Glad you haven't been exposed to them.  It's lunacy.  

Thought some of you would find this interesting.

I’m an industrial hygienist and our group at work is part of a task force engaged in the possible implementation of a large-scale cleaning/sanitization system and confirmatory testing. Our role in the task force was to test different cleaning and sanitization methodologies to determine their effectiveness.

Since there is no cheap quick response test for the human Coronavirus, we used a test called the ATP test. This test looks for Adenosine Triphosphate markers using bioluminescence. Adenosine Triphosphate is an energy molecule found in plant, animal, and microbial cells. It shows up in both living and dead cells. So while the test doesn’t actually show whether or not viruses are present, it’s likely a pretty good surrogate and we can be reasonably sure, especially if numbers are high, that the virus may still be present. If numbers are low, the virus is likely not present or present in much lower numbers.

The interesting results were that to truly come up with a sanitized surface, you really do need to follow the CDC guidelines exactly. If you don’t:

1) Clean with a cleaning solution (some kind of soap)

2) Wipe the surface with a one use synthetic fiber cloth

3) Spray the surface with an EPA approved sanitizer

4) Allow the sanitizer for sit for 10 minutes

5) Wipe the surface with a one use synthetic fiber cloth

then the surface isn’t truly sanitized and results came back with high to moderate numbers if any of the steps were skipped.

It was really pretty remarkable that we consistently found that skipping ANY of the steps gave poor results. We actually went in fairly skeptical but the data was pretty eye opening. We had some large state and federal agencies come observe that came away interested and to who we’re submitting our data to as well.

So the bottom line if you’re cleaning surfaces, if you want to do the best job you can, you need to follow those steps exactly. If you skip any steps, the reality is that your effort may be mostly wasted.

According to worldometers we have crossed over 50k deaths and there seems to be no downward trend of cases and deaths which seem just stuck at just under 30k and just over 2k, respectively. Sometimes for each are on other side of that line such as cases yesterday but generally those are our daily numbers. 

Really depressing to see these numbers, I had hoped the plateau would have start seen decreasing numbers by now given the social distancing we have all done but not apparent yet. 
While NY/NYC are declining, there are 20-25 states that aren’t. 

• Smile
Gotta disagree here. 

As a Florida resident, I haven’t seen another Florida resident in 6 weeks. Hope you are right. 

I agree in general, but I also didn't expect it to plateau and then 2-4 days later start a steep decline as some models seem to have inferred.  I think cases are increasing at a slower rate than expected with increased testing and deaths have plateaued and hopefully will start to decline soon.  A steeper decline will be reliant on an anti-viral or some other therapeutic treatment which takes the most effected out of ICU's quicker.  I'm cautiously optimistic here, and not depressed.  I think good news will be on the way sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread