What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

No. 

Previously he was railing that it is a government hoax and w/e.
Ah, not up on his particular stance.

But I would think any coherent argument for opening up would be in part to accept the risk of getting COVID.

I see it is hard for all sides to remain coherent.

Is that your argument?   Infect everyone?
No. Of course not?

:lmao:

The inability to converse people individually is a constant battle.

I have my own opinions and position.. I have been fairly consistent.  Shockingly I would tell you I lie in between the liberal and conservative extremes.

Looks like we may be going back to phase 1 in my county in Washington
You're Pierce, right?  We (Kitsap) had applied to go to Phase 3, but I don't see it happening.  We had as many new cases on June 22 alone as we had had in all of May.  Don't know if we'll go back to Phase 1 given the new mask requirements (though I've seen nearly 100% mask-wearing up to now anyway, so maybe not a big difference), but Phase 3 seems a pipe dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Of course not?

:lmao:

The inability to converse people individually is a constant battle.

I have my own opinions and position.. I have been fairly consistent.  Shockingly I would tell you I lie in between the liberal and conservative extremes.
Then JUST SPEAK FOR YOURSELF and these problems wont occur.

Connecticut still leading the way...

According to Johns Hopkins University, we are the only state to have higher than a 50% decrease in cases from week to week

According to Connecticut's COVID website - https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/COVID-19-Data-Tracker
- Our positivity has not only been under 2% for 10 straight days, but today we were under 1% (65/7922 = 0.82%)
- Our deaths in June have averaged 13 per day, down from 52 in May and 75 in April

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ we are:
- The #10 state in tests per capita
- The #17 state in positive cases (we were in the top 10 a little over a month ago)

According to https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/ we are:
- One of only 5 states in the green
- The #1 state in positive case decrease over the last 14 days (57%)
- The #1 state in doubling time (the number of days it will take to double the current amount of positives = 443)
- The #3 state in cases per capita per day (behind only Hawaii & Vermont)
- The #3 state in hospitalization discharge percentage over last 14 days 

According to https://rt.live/ we are:
- Currently the #2 state with .78 rate of transmission
- The #2 state 2 weeks ago at .77
- The #2 state 1 month ago at .75
- The #3 state 2 months ago at .70

You guys should head to the political forum.

I hate to admit it, but they are way way better at the dogpiling/shouting down differing thought game.

So...can I lighten the mood a bit? Anyone else taking to the trying to figure out who is the cutest female/male/whatever your attraction is underneath the mask? Find myself looking at eyes and necks and posture and other things. It's a new world and I am curious. Maybe I get the face covering tantalization aspect of muslim culture
I haven't seen enough masked people. I counted in one store last week 21 customers with 2 wearing masks, I was one of the two. 

Cool, what do you think about the detailed thoughts I laid out just moments ago?

I notice you don't respond to those posts.
Starting with your response to my post about the anti-masker type guy catching covid, I only saw you saying "some exposure has to be acceptable" which is as about as vague and minor as it can be. It really didn't need a response. However, it did not match what anti-masker + reOpner guy was pushing at all.

Starting with your response to my post about the anti-masker type guy catching covid, I only saw you saying "some exposure has to be acceptable" which is as about as vague and minor as it can be. It really didn't need a response. However, it did not match what anti-masker + reOpner guy was pushing at all.
Anti masker or reopening?

I didnt see a post from you about anti maskers.

Go on...

Every argument I've heard against them are pretty silly, imo...such as...."they are uncomfortable", "I can't hear people when they have one on", "they make me look like a wussie and I ain't no wussie!", etc.

What are the legitimate arguments against masks?
Some rural areas.

Also, I think a strong argument can be made to do less isolation and let this run it's course. that our current broken efforts are just prolonging the pain without actually saving a lot of lives in the longer term.

I've had Matsuki blocked forever but somehow people keep quoting him. 

Nice to see he's blown way past Tim (who I think rocks now) as the leading cause of threadcancer.  Some people shouldn't drink. 

The FFA has gone soft.

Again.. take a gander at the PSF when you want to make personal/passive aggressive efforts.  They have it down to a science.   :lmao:

I have given them so many times.

I realize I am drowned out by the conditioned response at this point.

Point blank... the mask you are wearing is questionable efficacy wise even assuming you are wearing it right.  And then assuming you switch it out often enough to not become worse than not wearing a mask at all.  The masks with proven efficacy (N95) require a fit test that you haven't done, and that a very significant % of people fail (one size doesn't fit all).  I know a couple people that don't have to lie to pass this test.

We switch out our masks between every patient.  How many of you are switching them out even on a daily basis?
I walk up to you holding a sign that reads "I have COVID".  Then I proceed to spit directly towards your mouth.  Would you rather I have no mask, or something/anything in between my mouth and yours?

I walk up to you holding a sign that reads "I have COVID".  Then I proceed to spit directly towards your mouth.  Would you rather I have no mask, or something/anything in between my mouth and yours?
This seems like an effort to misrepesent the argument.

I do put masks at #3.  Just a distant #3.  If someone spits in your face, mask may or may not protect you.  Best you keep your distance, or better yet not go out at all if you run into a lot of people spitting in your face.  Or if someone walking up and spitting in your face is even on the table for reasonable outcomes of an outing.

@TheWinz if you fear people spitting in your face, I would advise upgrading your mask to one with a shield for your eyes.  A normal mask won't protect you from these hypothetical face spitting attacks.

What if they pull your mask off before they spit in your face?

Probably better to avoid all together situations where you think it is likely to have someone spit in your face.  Of course this advice is not dependant on COVID.. just in general.

In short:

You are wearing it wrong.

Even if you are wearing it right (doubt it), distancing and hand washing are far more important.

Among the trifecta, masks are a distant distant 3rd place.
This only applies to medical-setting masks that (a) require fit testing and (b)that are strictly intended for self-protection from airborne pathogens.

Source-control face coverings for the general public in non-medical settings don’t have nearly the same specific requirements. No argument regarding maintenance of social distance and hand-washing — source-control face coverings function alongside those measures and not in place of them.

This seems like an effort to misrepesent the argument.

I do put masks at #3.  Just a distant #3.  If someone spits in your face, mask may or may not protect you.  Best you keep your distance, or better yet not go out at all if you run into a lot of people spitting in your face.
Fair enough.  Yes, you said masks are 3rd, but I think the disconnect with others was that you kind of sounded like masks are fairly useless.  Unless, of course, you wear exactly the right kind, change it at the correct intervals, and only after having a fit test performed.  The average person has never had to wear these things, and simply getting people to throw anything over their mouth and nose is awesome and can only help.

This only applies to medical-setting masks that (a) require fit testing and (b)that are strictly intended for self-protection from airborne pathogens.

Source-control face coverings for the general public in non-medical settings don’t have nearly the same specific requirements. No argument regarding maintenance of social distance and hand-washing — source-control face coverings function alongside those measures and not in place of them.
"Alongside" is a great way to argue for masks.  :thumbup:   Here I don't really have skin in the game.

The argument for masks on their own merit simply doesn't stand.

Point blank... the mask you are wearing is questionable efficacy wise even assuming you are wearing it right.  And then assuming you switch it out often enough to not become worse than not wearing a mask at all.  The masks with proven efficacy (N95) require a fit test that you haven't done, and that a very significant % of people fail (one size doesn't fit all).  I know a couple people that don't have to lie to pass this test.

We switch out our masks between every patient.  How many of you are switching them out even on a daily basis?
Not necessary for source control.

Fair enough.  Yes, you said masks are 3rd, but I think the disconnect with others was that you kind of sounded like masks are fairly useless.  Unless, of course, you wear exactly the right kind, change it at the correct intervals, and only after having a fit test performed.  The average person has never had to wear these things, and simply getting people to throw anything over their mouth and nose is awesome and can only help.
In many cases (not a minority) .. I certainly argue people's masks are useless.

Or worse than useless.  A wet mask is a hinderance.

And right - the average person isn't necessarily to blame.  The average person has no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread