What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Thread (1 Viewer)

Speaking of Hitherlands, I am enjoying my time there. Should I clear it out? I have been there ~8 hours so far and still have a ton to do.

I have 23 power stored up to open up other areas if/when needed.

Speaking of Hitherlands, I am enjoying my time there. Should I clear it out? I have been there ~8 hours so far and still have a ton to do.

I have 23 power stored up to open up other areas if/when needed.
I would venture forth a bit now - you can always go back.

Funny story on the leveling up - I've done that too.

Combat is fun in this game.

I am such a dolt. No matter how many rpg's I play, I always make a pretty big whoops in these games.

I am playing on just normal difficulty, and while not dying myself, my party kept going under quite often, causing battles to take forever. I am at level 6 just playing in the Hitherlands right now.

And then it hit me, I need to level up my party :) . For some reason I thought I was only suppose to level my own character. Sure enough, leveling every party member up from level 1 to 6 makes a huge difference in game play :)
I just beat one of the early big bad guys (not going to spoil it), then forgot to loot him, so missed out on what is evidently some excellent loot. Probably hosed myself forever. :lol:

I am such a dolt. No matter how many rpg's I play, I always make a pretty big whoops in these games.

I am playing on just normal difficulty, and while not dying myself, my party kept going under quite often, causing battles to take forever. I am at level 6 just playing in the Hitherlands right now.

And then it hit me, I need to level up my party :) . For some reason I thought I was only suppose to level my own character. Sure enough, leveling every party member up from level 1 to 6 makes a huge difference in game play :)
That was a big adjustment for me as well, I am used to only being concerned about my character.

I just beat one of the early big bad guys (not going to spoil it), then forgot to loot him, so missed out on what is evidently some excellent loot. Probably hosed myself forever. :lol:
Honestly, loot doesn't seem to be a huge issue in the game. I've played a ton and have taken a break for a bit but right now I am at the last story mission or so to begin the final ending sequences. I've barely upgraded or used crafting and have very little issues killing anything. I am something like a Level 16 Rogue Archer Assassin and as long as I don't draw too much attention to me I can kill anything pretty easily with items that are probably not that great.

Honestly, loot doesn't seem to be a huge issue in the game. I've played a ton and have taken a break for a bit but right now I am at the last story mission or so to begin the final ending sequences. I've barely upgraded or used crafting and have very little issues killing anything. I am something like a Level 16 Rogue Archer Assassin and as long as I don't draw too much attention to me I can kill anything pretty easily with items that are probably not that great.
To me, the crafting and upgrading/etc started to get annoying anyway.

Question:

While wandering around the Hitherlands, I talked to a guy who I think asked to be a part of my party. I assumed he is just one of the many possible party members.

But when I leave Haven, his card does not show up as a choice to pick to be in my party.

Is there a step I am missing when recruiting new members to my party?

NewlyRetired said:
Question:

While wandering around the Hitherlands, I talked to a guy who I think asked to be a part of my party. I assumed he is just one of the many possible party members.

But when I leave Haven, his card does not show up as a choice to pick to be in my party.

When you have the option to add a party member (or make any "major" decision in the game) during dialogue, there will be a little box above the two branches of the dialogue tree explaining very clearly what the ramifications of each response will be. IIRC there aren't any party members that you can pick up in the Hinterlands. When you do add a party member, he will post up somewhere at your home base and his card will show up when you are selecting a party.

Note that there are "agents" that you can recruit to the inquisition that never join you as actual squad members. There are several of these in the Hinterlands.

NewlyRetired said:
Question:

When you have the option to add a party member (or make any "major" decision in the game) during dialogue, there will be a little box above the two branches of the dialogue tree explaining very clearly what the ramifications of each response will be. IIRC there aren't any party members that you can pick up in the Hinterlands. When you do add a party member, he will post up somewhere at your home base and his card will show up when you are selecting a party.

Note that there are "agents" that you can recruit to the inquisition that never join you as actual squad members. There are several of these in the Hinterlands.
There is a party member... Blackwall.

NewlyRetired said:
Question:

Right, good call.

NewlyRetired said:
Question:

Right, good call.
I just looked up Blackwall and it was not him I found.

I think it must have been one of the Agents you mentioned.

I think I overstayed my welcome in The Hitherlands. I am such a completest that I struggle to move on to new sections before I clear one out fully but I have run into some very nasty bad guys in the outer edges of the Hitherlands. A couple of rifts are spawning level 12 bad guys that are wiping my team out in a couple of seconds (we are level 6 right now).

I guess this is as good a time as any to move on to a new section.

Now that I have played for about 11 hours, I thought I would sit down and map out my character build since there is a free respec of all points built into the game.

I am thinking of going with a full toxic archer. I need to get to level 13 to complete my build out, which only wastes one point which I like for efficiency sake.

But I am having a hard time finding perks that synergise with this build. Are perks use to synergize builds or do they just more provide other benefits not reflective of what build you make?

And before I make the same mistake again, are perks for my individual character only or do I need to pick out a perk for every character each time I advance a level in Influence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I have played for about 11 hours, I thought I would sit down and map out my character build since there is a free respec of all points built into the game.

I am thinking of going with a full toxic archer. I need to get to level 13 to complete my build out, which only wastes one point which I like for efficiency sake.

But I am having a hard time finding perks that synergise with this build. Are perks use to synergize builds or do they just more provide other benefits not reflective of what build you make?

And before I make the same mistake again, are perks for my individual character only or do I need to pick out a perk for every character each time I advance a level in Influence?
Inquisition perks? If so they are independent of your character build but can help depending on what you are doing ie the herbalist ones, the lock picking one, etc.

Oh and one more question about potions and party members.

I know how to control the AI to allow party members to decide when to take a health potion.

What about other non health potions? How does the AI decide when to use them or do I need to switch during a battle and drink for them?

Oh and one more question about potions and party members.

I know how to control the AI to allow party members to decide when to take a health potion.

What about other non health potions? How does the AI decide when to use them or do I need to switch during a battle and drink for them?
You can tell them under tactics IIRC and they will use health potions until a certain number is reached and then will stop. You have to manually equip the other potions for each party member and then switch to the other members and consume them. It's a total PITA esp in the middle of a battle when you're trying to survive.

Wow, the free respec was well worth the time. Even just with 8 points to spend, I came out with a significantly stronger character since I was not picking abilities blindly. I was even able to close 2 level 12 rifts with a level 8 party.

Has anyone played the game on Nightmare mode? I only ask because I enjoy trophy hunting and I know beating the game in that difficulty mode is a requirement for my second play through.

This game gets a big thumbs up for me so far. I am 20+ hours in now and moving along nicely.

I have cleared everything I can that is unlocked in Hitherlands, Storm Coast, Val Royeaux, and The Fallow Mire.

I think I am very early in the main story though. I have 59 in power stored up. I may have to move the main story along to open up some items to spend power on.

The only thing I don't like is having to gear and give abilities to so many characters. I really enjoying building a single character but having to try and synergize abilities and gear for numerous characters is hard. It would be one thing if the party stayed at 4 but it is obvious it is going to grow quite a bit.

I find this part tiresome enough that I might decide to just stick with the basic 4 core party members and leave the others ones recruited but never used (unless I am stuck having to use them for a trophy).

This game gets a big thumbs up for me so far. I am 20+ hours in now and moving along nicely.

I have cleared everything I can that is unlocked in Hitherlands, Storm Coast, Val Royeaux, and The Fallow Mire.

I think I am very early in the main story though. I have 59 in power stored up. I may have to move the main story along to open up some items to spend power on.

The only thing I don't like is having to gear and give abilities to so many characters. I really enjoying building a single character but having to try and synergize abilities and gear for numerous characters is hard. It would be one thing if the party stayed at 4 but it is obvious it is going to grow quite a bit.

I find this part tiresome enough that I might decide to just stick with the basic 4 core party members and leave the others ones recruited but never used (unless I am stuck having to use them for a trophy).
My wife is 80 hours in and currently only uses 5 characters. She has a base 3 and then swaps the 4th and 5th out depending on situation. I think she's currently rolling 3 mages and a tank of some sort.

My wife is 80 hours in and currently only uses 5 characters. She has a base 3 and then swaps the 4th and 5th out depending on situation. I think she's currently rolling 3 mages and a tank of some sort.
I always roll with Iron Bull, Solas and Sera (her banter is great), so a Tank, Archer and mage. I need to at some point redo Sera's and Solas' characters though. I am going with a Rift Mage and will make Solas into a Rift Mage and we will reign hell upon all!

To be honest I am not sure if there is much of a difference between the class characters....I go with the guys I like.

One thing I have noticed in my 25 hours of game play is how high the % of play has been in an outdoor environment. I was expecting more temples, dungeons, deep caverns etc.

One thing I have noticed in my 25 hours of game play is how high the % of play has been in an outdoor environment. I was expecting more temples, dungeons, deep caverns etc.
And the dungeons are really short/small too. I was expecting a bit more of the Elder Scrolls type of dungeon crawls that take 30-60 minutes.

I am a huge fan of both prior DA games, and I'm generally a big fan of everything BioWare puts out. I want to like this game, and I'm sure I will get locked in at some point.

But...

Not impressed at all so far. Ive spent a couple hours in the Hinterlands and right away the game hits you with fetch quest after fetch quest. Unlike virtually every other Bioware game, this one doesn't do much at the outset to get you invested in the plot, and whatever momentum it had is squandered when it drops you in the first area and asks you to do things like "find 10 pieces of iron" and "find 22 shards". IMO this feels way too much like a Skyrim build your own adventure game and less like the plot driven epics that I've come to expect from this company. Hoping it picks up some more steam soon.
Finally finished my first run through this game today. I have to say that though the game improved as it went along from how I felt about it after the first few hours, I still had the general impression by the time I had finished that the game had wasted a lot of my time. The first two DA games (say what you will about the gameplay in DA 2) were masterfully written and had very compelling storylines that engaged you through the whole game. Inquisition may have more "content" in terms of playable hours than the prior games, but it has 1/8th of the story. Being something of a completionist I probably spent 60+ hours on this, satisfying most of the "fetch" quests (probably only retrieved 2/3 of the shards), but a disturbingly small percentage of that time was spent advancing the plot. I'm reading online that it is only taking people 15-16 hours to burn through this game the second time through, focusing just on the main plot points and the party member sidequests.

I hope for future installments Bioware gets back to doing what they do best and not trying to inject Diablo/Skyrim elements into a series that didn't need them.

I hate RPG's that hit too close to my home life.

45 hours of game play and still no one will sleep with me. :(
:lmao:

That's certainly a change from Origins -- was like being in a brothel with Bill Gates' credit card.
My elf girl is cute too. I think Solas is gay because I am all but offering my goods to him and I can't get past a basic kiss from him :( My wife asked me to take a break from playing when in the middle of the afternoon she heard me scream "#### me you fairy boy"

:bag:

I am a huge fan of both prior DA games, and I'm generally a big fan of everything BioWare puts out. I want to like this game, and I'm sure I will get locked in at some point.

But...

Not impressed at all so far. Ive spent a couple hours in the Hinterlands and right away the game hits you with fetch quest after fetch quest. Unlike virtually every other Bioware game, this one doesn't do much at the outset to get you invested in the plot, and whatever momentum it had is squandered when it drops you in the first area and asks you to do things like "find 10 pieces of iron" and "find 22 shards". IMO this feels way too much like a Skyrim build your own adventure game and less like the plot driven epics that I've come to expect from this company. Hoping it picks up some more steam soon.
Finally finished my first run through this game today. I have to say that though the game improved as it went along from how I felt about it after the first few hours, I still had the general impression by the time I had finished that the game had wasted a lot of my time. The first two DA games (say what you will about the gameplay in DA 2) were masterfully written and had very compelling storylines that engaged you through the whole game. Inquisition may have more "content" in terms of playable hours than the prior games, but it has 1/8th of the story. Being something of a completionist I probably spent 60+ hours on this, satisfying most of the "fetch" quests (probably only retrieved 2/3 of the shards), but a disturbingly small percentage of that time was spent advancing the plot. I'm reading online that it is only taking people 15-16 hours to burn through this game the second time through, focusing just on the main plot points and the party member sidequests.

I hope for future installments Bioware gets back to doing what they do best and not trying to inject Diablo/Skyrim elements into a series that didn't need them.
You must play very fast.

I am 45 hours in, skip as much of the boring conversations that I can, and I have significantly more quests open than I have closed and I am sure I still have a ton of quests I have not even found yet.

I have only advanced the main story just to get to Skyhold so I can open up other areas.

I figure I am looking at 120ish hours at this pace to complete the game and that is just the first play through. I still need to complete a nightmare difficulty, but hopefully that should be streamlined where I only do enough to keep leveling and just advance the main story.

Has anyone got to 100% trophy/achievements in this game?

The more I play the more I think this may be one of those few games I don't get to 100%. I already screwed up the companions because some how I missed getting Vivienne and now her location has been removed from my map all together because the main story progressed to far.

I am enjoying this game but I am unsure how much replay value this has. I might give a shot at a Nightmare run and if I continually get wiped out, I will just give up.

Oh, and stlll no one will sleep with me. I don't get understand how many more approvals I need.... :(

But...

You must play very fast. I am 45 hours in, skip as much of the boring conversations that I can, and I have significantly more quests open than I have closed and I am sure I still have a ton of quests I have not even found yet.

I have only advanced the main story just to get to Skyhold so I can open up other areas.

I figure I am looking at 120ish hours at this pace to complete the game and that is just the first play through. I still need to complete a nightmare difficulty, but hopefully that should be streamlined where I only do enough to keep leveling and just advance the main story.
I am guesstimating on the playtime. My save file says 130 hours or something like that but I tend to leave the game console on with the game paused while I do other things. So I think that number was greatly overstated.

The more I play the more I think this may be one of those few games I don't get to 100%. I already screwed up the companions because some how I missed getting Vivienne and now her location has been removed from my map all together because the main story progressed to far.

I am enjoying this game but I am unsure how much replay value this has. I might give a shot at a Nightmare run and if I continually get wiped out, I will just give up.

Oh, and stlll no one will sleep with me. I don't get understand how many more approvals I need.... :(
Are you sure about Vivienne? I didn't pick her up until after Skyhold and at least one more main plot mission.

Are you sure about Vivienne? I didn't pick her up until after Skyhold and at least one more main plot mission.
I think so. I mistakenly started Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts. I read online that once that is done, Vivienne disappears from game if not already recruited.

If the nightmare run goes ok, I will pick her up immediately next time.

For those who are collecting shards but find it boring, know they do have a huge use in the game.

There is a multiple mission grouping you can stumble into during the game that requires a large amount of shards to unlock. These missions result in the games largest boost to three defensive attributes if you complete them.

For those who are collecting shards but find it boring, know they do have a huge use in the game.

There is a multiple mission grouping you can stumble into during the game that requires a large amount of shards to unlock. These missions result in the games largest boost to three defensive attributes if you complete them.
Meh. The attribute boosts are mainly useful in hunting dragons and by the time you've gotten to the point where you have enough shards to unlock a number of the doors, you probably don't need the help unless maybe you are on the hardest difficulty level.

thecatch said:
NewlyRetired said:

Meh. The attribute boosts are mainly useful in hunting dragons and by the time you've gotten to the point where you have enough shards to unlock a number of the doors, you probably don't need the help unless maybe you are on the hardest difficulty level.
The attributes made some big difference to my character, probably because my gear sucks.

So just finished it over the weekend...

W T F just happened???? Solas is a bad guy? Did he kill Flemish? He gave Corypheus the orb? I read a lot about it and there is nothing concrete about who or what Solas/Dead Wolf and what the ending really is. Feel so cheated on a completed story.

W T F just happened???? Solas is a bad guy? Did he kill Flemish? He gave Corypheus the orb? I read a lot about it and there is nothing concrete about who or what Solas/Dead Wolf and what the ending really is. Feel so cheated on a completed story.
The answers to all your questions are pretty clearly yes

If so then

why help the inquisition if he really thought Corypheus could free the Elven gods that he imprisoned? Did he think he'd get the orb back and be able to defeat Corypheus then? Seemed that there are more questions than answers at the end of this game.

Any of you guys bothering with multiplayer? A couple of my friends bought it over the weekend and we gave it a run. It's kinda fun, but seems ultra grindy. Spent a few minutes at the bioware forums and saw a lot of complaining about the item drop rates, which did not surprise me based on my limited experience. I'm not sure it has long term playability

If so then
why help the inquisition if he really thought Corypheus could free the Elven gods that he imprisoned? Did he think he'd get the orb back and be able to defeat Corypheus then? Seemed that there are more questions than answers at the end of this game.

I don't think freeing the elven gods was Coryphueus' main goal. It's unclear to what degree they were actually ever imprisoned given that Flemeth was running around for centuries as an elven god and was apparently on friendly terms with her "captor". The dread wolf/solas needed Corypheus to unlock the orb's power but I think the idea was that Solas could get the orb back by guiding the Inquisitor to victory. When that didn't work he was obviously pretty PO'd.

Ultimately there are a lot of unanswered questions but they closed the loop on the game's main story, which is the important thing.

Alright. I'm about 2 hours in, and in the Hinterlands. This game seems awesome.

Leliana is still there! Super glad I didn't kill her (haha).

Questions: how soon am I going to need lockpicking skills? (e.g. should I have my companion rogue level into that immediately?) Right now he's archer and poison skills.

I am, of course, running a mage (because I always pick a magic user).

Questions: how soon am I going to need lockpicking skills? (e.g. should I have my companion rogue level into that immediately?) Right now he's archer and poison skills.

There are doors that only a Rogue can open and I believe there are doors that only open if you have taken the correct perk at the War Table.

I don't remember lock picking to be crucial in this game though. You might get locked out of a room or 2 but I don't ever remember unlocking a high level door and getting something great.

Just take the perk at the war table when it seems generally useful (ie you find a door you can't open).

There are doors that only a Rogue can open and I believe there are doors that only open if you have taken the correct perk at the War Table.

I don't remember lock picking to be crucial in this game though. You might get locked out of a room or 2 but I don't ever remember unlocking a high level door and getting something great.

Just take the perk at the war table when it seems generally useful (ie you find a door you can't open).
Some side quest objectives are behind locked doors but they aren't anything great or important.

Alright:

25 or so hours in now (finally got some down time this weekend) and loving this game.

Running:

My Mage (lightning and spirit, considering adding winter's grasp though)

Cassandra (sword and shield, vanguard, full on tank)

Iron Bull (2H, some of each Vanguard and Battlemaster)

Sera (Archer with a little poison)

Pretty fun. Iron Bull can be a bit paper thin, so may go back to my 2-mage, rogue, Cassandra build or swap him for Blackwall, who I liked.

I've been through Fallow Mire, some Sword Coast, Val Royeaux. Soon will be going to the Oasis place.

What Inquisition Perks did you all find most useful? I've done the extra healing potions, some extra inventory, and then one of the extra XP/dialogue ones

Just finished, absolutely loved the game. Went with human female mage (almost started a male on but if I went that route I would have went full Raistlin). Started as lightning and fire and a tad into cold before the specialization of rift.

Main party was Sera, Iron Bull, and Blackwell. Sera and Iron Bull were more because they always were amusing more than tactically the best. Ran with an all women group for a tad early on but can't stand Vivienne and Cassandra lost out to Iron Bull. Solas would replace Blackwell on some dragon hunting if dragon was vulnerable to cold since I had him built up as my cold mage.

Favorite perks were the dialogue ones, probably not the bets ones to take if looking to max out but I wanted the extra choices so these were the first ones I got.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the mission activates an appearance of whatever in the wild in a place I was already at. Liked Skyrim where you would find stuff and then if talking to a person started a side quest, you could talk to them right away and say you accomplished whatever it was and didn't have to go out. To me the shard collecting wasn't boring, more annoying because they often appeared in a spot I had already went through and would have collected if they hadn't magically appeared after using the skull view.

Just picked this back up to do a second run through and play the DLC. I'm reading the Descent was a waste of time - anyone have any thoughts on that one?

How was this? Picked it up awhile back, but never really got in to it. Started it, but found it very slow and boring. But I think I read it starts out that way while you are in what basically amounts to a training tutorial. I just never went back to it after finding Far Cry 4 and now GTA V.

Okay, let's see if I can revitalize this as I could use some advice. I have spent about a dozen hours in the Hinterland, but am still only level 6 or 7. Decided to go do something else, and headed to the Fallow Mire. Did ok until I got to the second rift. Getting my booty kicked. My main character seems like the priority target for the bad guys. Being that he is a squishy mage, that's bad. I get the feeling I shouldn't be here yet maybe? May back out and go to the main quest city (forget the name).

By the way, doing a support mage for something different. barrier, stuff like that. Ended up being a lot like Solas. I need to find new companions so I can dump him pronto!

Users who are viewing this thread