What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

Just got back from seeing it. Packed theater at 10am on a Sunday in the middle of Mormon country. God can wait, new Dune movie just dropped.

I am with @Andy Dufresne and @The General in that I was a little underwhelmed, even if overall I still really enjoyed it. I'd say it was an 8/10, ,whereas I'd give part I a 9.5/10.

I think the big difference was the pacing. There was just SO much to cover in this one (too much for a single movie, imo) that it just hopped from scene to scene so fast, and storylines were rushed along without being earned. IE Chani/Paul went from flirty we might kiss soon to "I love you so much I can't possibly imagine my life without you" in like 7 minutes of real-time. Paul repeatedly won over legions of people who hated/doubted him with like 2 minutes of random battle clips.

The first was much slower and more meticulously paced. Scenes were allowed to breathe (which I love), things were more subtle, and atmosphere played a huge role. This was more like your typical action fare where we skip all over the place quickly and there's tons of exposition to move the story along since we don't have time to show it with a long subtle scene.

Didn't like the casting for the emperor, thought he kind of mailed it in with his performance too. Loved the casting for Feyd Rautha and thought that guy really knocked it out of the park.

ETA: Also I was a doubter of Timothy Chalamet in the role originally but he was awesome.

Last edited:
Also, what was the explanation for...

Why Feyd Rautha was able to magically turn the tides from the Fremen kicking *** and disrupting spice production to suddenly losing so badly they had to evacuate to the south in about 15 seconds of screen time.

The Harkonnens were trying to find the Fremen Sieches, but couldn't find them, and were constantly getting crushed by ambushes, then all of the sudden the Harkonnens magically knew where every Siech was and had no trouble destroying them. The only explanation offered was "artillery.....genius". Like...no one had thought of using their spaceships to shoot missiles before the new guy came in?

Why Feyd Rautha was able to magically turn the tides from the Fremen kicking *** and disrupting spice production to suddenly losing so badly they had to evacuate to the south in about 15 seconds of screen time.

The Harkonnens were trying to find the Fremen Sieches, but couldn't find them, and were constantly getting crushed by ambushes, then all of the sudden the Harkonnens magically knew where every Siech was and had no trouble destroying them. The only explanation offered was "artillery.....genius". Like...no one had thought of using their spaceships to shoot missiles before the new guy came in?
Yeah, that was kinda dumb. They really emasculated Bautista too.

Just got back from seeing it. Packed theater at 10am on a Sunday in the middle of Mormon country. God can wait, new Dune movie just dropped.

I am with @Andy Dufresne and @The General in that I was a little underwhelmed, even if overall I still really enjoyed it. I'd say it was an 8/10, ,whereas I'd give part I a 9.5/10.

I think the big difference was the pacing. There was just SO much to cover in this one (too much for a single movie, imo) that it just hopped from scene to scene so fast, and storylines were rushed along without being earned. IE Chani/Paul went from flirty we might kiss soon to "I love you so much I can't possibly imagine my life without you" in like 7 minutes of real-time. Paul repeatedly won over legions of people who hated/doubted him with like 2 minutes of random battle clips.

The first was much slower and more meticulously paced. Scenes were allowed to breathe (which I love), things were more subtle, and atmosphere played a huge role. This was more like your typical action fare where we skip all over the place quickly and there's tons of exposition to move the story along since we don't have time to show it with a long subtle scene.

Didn't like the casting for the emperor, thought he kind of mailed it in with his performance too. Loved the casting for Feyd Rautha and thought that guy really knocked it out of the park.

ETA: Also I was a doubter of Timothy Chalamet in the role originally but he was awesome.
Interesting observation on the pacing. I could feel it really shift around the time Paul took the Water of Life. I was wondering if it was an artistic decision to distance the audience from Paul (less in his head now that he has decided to assume this destiny) or just a result of how much time they condensed. In the book, Alia is 3 by the end instead of still in utero.

I'm not really familiar with the actor that plays Feyd Rautha but he crushed it.

I'm not really familiar with the actor that plays Feyd Rautha but he crushed it.
Austin Butler- he’s pretty awsome and has been on fire. Was Elvis in the most recent Elvis movie and no matter what anyone thought of the movie, he killed it. He’s going to be a huge star.

Interesting observation on the pacing. I could feel it really shift around the time Paul took the Water of Life. I was wondering if it was an artistic decision to distance the audience from Paul (less in his head now that he has decided to assume this destiny) or just a result of how much time they condensed. In the book, Alia is 3 by the end instead of still in utero.

The guy went from playing Elvis to that.

Impressive.

Impressive.

He was also an elf guy in an MTV fantasy tv show a few years ago that my wife was into.

Impressive.
He’s the start of the new Band of Brothers show on Apple: Masters of the Air and was the sleazy Manson hippy psycho villain in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I’m totally sold on pretty much anything he does.

Rewatched Dune 1 over the weekend. So so good. My only issue was that it felt like it ended in mid sentence.

Looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

I will say, my wife actually enjoyed part 2. She was shocked and appalled at the end and I've got her hooked for part 3 because she is thoroughly invested in the relationships storyline.

I will say, my wife actually enjoyed part 2. She was shocked and appalled at the end and I've got her hooked for part 3 because she is thoroughly invested in the relationships storyline.
At the fact that Paul married the princess instead of his Fremen girlfriend? If so, this didn't shock me at all because Paul's mom made a comment earlier in this movie that I thought telegraphed it.

Funny... I saw some of these pacing complaints about 1 in here and had that in the back of my mind when I turned it on... And before I knew it the movie was over. No pacing problems at all for me other than the way it ended.

At the fact that Paul married the princess instead of his Fremen girlfriend? If so, this didn't shock me at all because Paul's mom made a comment earlier in this movie that I thought telegraphed it.
Yup, that's it. My wife has Polyanna syndrome and expects happily ever after in most cases.

Reactions: Zow
I thought the second book sucked out loud so I’m a little bit worried about the staying power of this franchise unless they liberally depart from the source material.

I thought the second book sucked out loud so I’m a little bit worried about the staying power of this franchise unless they liberally depart from the source material.
I'm just finishing up Messiah. I think there's plenty there from what was left out in book one, and the 12 year time jump. Also, Messiah has a decent ending at least.

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. They really emasculated Bautista too.
That's kinda the point. Character isn't very bright and was expected to largely fail by the Baron
I'm just finishing up Messiah. I think there's plenty there from what was left out in book one, and the 12 year time jump. Also, Messiah has a decent ending at least.
Lot's of cool stuff in Messiah. Was thinking about about giving Children of Dune a listen, been a while since I read it.

I didn't know anything about Dune until I saw these movies. Exceptionally well made and acted but kind of antiseptic. I agree with the pacing issues especially in 2 but I suspect I would have a problem with the underlying source material. Kind of reminds me of prog metal: really well done but it's so by the book and seems to be lacking in real heart. I'll be back for 3 just because it looks so good, but I don't expect to be moved. Which puts this in a weird place. It's not really a popcorn flick but it's not what it seemingly aspires to be either.

So well done, but in the end I didn't really care much about what actually happens, or to whom.

Regarding the pacing in the book: the part where Paul goes from a kid rescued by the Fremen to Muad'dib and facing the Emperor, moves pretty quickly.

I did think it escalated really freaking quickly after he did the things his mom wanted him to do.

One of my favorite parts was when he silences the Reverend Mother. That always stuck with me in the 80's movie as well...the transition from one who is being manipulated to one who is in control is fascinating.

Can we discuss spoilers freely yet. I was bothered by Paul's sudden turn at first but upon reflection it actually made sense to me.

It's when he drinks the Water of Life that he has a vision informing him that his mother is the daughter of Baron Harkonnen. He basically snaps and goes all "You have ALL deceived me so ... F@&# you, it's go time!"

Can we discuss spoilers freely yet. I was bothered by Paul's sudden turn at first but upon reflection it actually made sense to me.

It's when he drinks the Water of Life that he has a vision informing him that his mother is the daughter of Baron Harkonnen. He basically snaps and goes all "You have ALL deceived me so ... F@&# you, it's go time!"
Don't remember the details but there was something about his visions of the future not being complete without a better understanding of the past. Once he drank the water of life and the past history of lifetimes of reverend mothers was bestowed upon him it, he was able to have clearer / more complete visions of the future and could now act confidently on them... and then it was go time.

Another thought I had today was how I originally thought the casting of Chalamet was a poor choice because he is so small/frail and kind of a pretty boy IRL.

However, I think he is incredible and a much better casting than the 80's movie. Kyle MacLachlan was actually much too Captain Americaish for the role. Chalamet played the role of lost/confused/reluctant messiah to a T. He also has the gravitas to command the scene when it is called for and his transition from a young boy lost in big-boy politics to THE man did not feel forced or unnatural. He captured both roles very, very well.

Another thought I had today was how I originally thought the casting of Chalamet was a poor choice because he is so small/frail and kind of a pretty boy IRL.

However, I think he is incredible and a much better casting than the 80's movie. Kyle MacLachlan was actually much too Captain Americaish for the role. Chalamet played the role of lost/confused/reluctant messiah to a T. He also has the gravitas to command the scene when it is called for and his transition from a young boy lost in big-boy politics to THE man did not feel forced or unnatural. He captured both roles very, very well.
Agreed and I didn’t think he would have the gravitas to do it. He’s actually quite a good actor.

Totally agree. He's done amazing in the role and exceeded expectations.

I didn't know anything about Dune until I saw these movies. Exceptionally well made and acted but kind of antiseptic. I agree with the pacing issues especially in 2 but I suspect I would have a problem with the underlying source material. Kind of reminds me of prog metal: really well done but it's so by the book and seems to be lacking in real heart. I'll be back for 3 just because it looks so good, but I don't expect to be moved. Which puts this in a weird place. It's not really a popcorn flick but it's not what it seemingly aspires to be either.

So well done, but in the end I didn't really care much about what actually happens, or to whom.
Agree completely.

Seems like not a lot of excitement here in weekend #3, if we're almost done with Monday and not a post since last Thursday morning.

Finally saw it and enjoyed it. I did think the first movie was better and I only had two compliants about it (which are changes from the book) and really go to timing of how everything happened. I put those notes in spoilers as they are book points and maybe they are dealt with some how later in the third movie.

Seems like not a lot of excitement here in weekend #3, if we're almost done with Monday and not a post since last Thursday morning.
Still holding out strong at the box office. It's around $600 million, double Kung Fu Panda. Easily the biggest hit of the year so far.

Just got back from Imax. The experience of the movie was outstanding. I like many of the differences from the old Dune, but do miss a few things.

I hated where it ended though. I wish I could remember all the books but it feels like i read them a lifetime ago.

Users who are viewing this thread