What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

So um, are these books?

Whats the genre? Are these scf-fi? Like what other movie would you equate these too?
Clear ripoff of Star Wars.

:sarcasm:for those unsure
I'm seriously asking..... Never seen the OG or the first one....

Not sure its my cup of tea and never vested interest..... is it Mad Maxish?
You probably should just read the wikipedia page

So um, are these books?

Whats the genre? Are these scf-fi? Like what other movie would you equate these too?
The 1984 movie, and these two movies cover the first book. This is actually followed by five books by Herbert in the series.
There are other novels, including prequel novels that establish some of the universe. These are written by other authors including Herbert's son, and including some of his dad's notes.

Imagine 10,000 years in the future, a feudal society of houses (GOT, Martin), controlled by a galactic Empire (Foundation and Empire, Asimov) with scientific knowledge using swords (John Carter, Burroughs).

So um, are these books?

Clear ripoff of Star Wars.

:sarcasm:for those unsure
I'm seriously asking..... Never seen the OG or the first one....

Not sure its my cup of tea and never vested interest..... is it Mad Maxish?
Star Wars meets Game of Thrones
On the scale of Lawrence of Arabia.

Yes, I'm serious

Wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up the biggest hit of the year and wins a bunch of Oscars. Best Picture is on the table imo.

One thing I REALLY enjoyed was Stilgar. Love he had some laughs in his lines.

***dialog spoiler***

When talking about the “hidden” atomics

Stilgar- this is not creative, it’s out in the open.
Gurney- did you find it?
Stilgar- I did not look for it! This is not creative

:lmao:

When Paul is readying for the worm ride.

Stilgar- you will succeed, or die. :shrugs:

:lmao: :lmao:

One thing I REALLY enjoyed was Stilgar. Love he had some laughs in his lines.

***dialog spoiler***

When talking about the “hidden” atomics

Stilgar- this is not creative, it’s out in the open.
Gurney- did you find it?
Stilgar- I did not look for it! This is not creative

:lmao:

When Paul is readying for the worm ride.

Stilgar- you will succeed, or die. :shrugs:

:lmao: :lmao:
Yeah, he was funny.

Not sure how I felt about his unbridled devotion to the prophecy. He seems too matter of fact for that.

So good. I didn’t know this was part 2 of 3 though. I was sitting there thinking…….how are they going to wrap this up in 30 minutes lol
Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
Too many awesome movies is a bad thing now? :lol:
**** THAT!!

Wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up the biggest hit of the year and wins a bunch of Oscars. Best Picture is on the table imo.
I love that you seem over the moon for this property. For you how much is spectacle/visuals, and how much is story?

So good. I didn’t know this was part 2 of 3 though. I was sitting there thinking…….how are they going to wrap this up in 30 minutes lol
Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
Too many awesome movies is a bad thing now? :lol:
**** THAT!!
:rolleyes:

I love that you seem over the moon for this property. For you how much is spectacle/visuals, and how much is story?
Both I guess? I mean I think the A/V is impossible to ignore but I really like the storyline as well and I am very picky about sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I loved the first Dune ( saw it twice in theaters, twice on streaming) and this was even better. Loved everything about it.

Both I guess? I mean I think the A/V is impossible to ignore but I really like the storyline as well and I am very picky about sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I loved the first Dune ( saw it twice in theaters, twice on streaming) and this was even better. Loved everything about it.
Have any plans to read the books, or not your thing?

Nope, not my thing. I am struggling to read anything right now and sci-fi is not at all my genre.

I think the (small) issue I have is that it spends all its time being grandiose and doesn't really build to a crescendo. I get that it follows the book mostly, but still.

But all that is a quibble. I will watch it multiple times.

Nope, not my thing. I am struggling to read anything right now and sci-fi is not at all my genre.

Will I like it if I thought the 1984 version with Sting was the most ridiculous sci-fi tripe of all time or?

Will I like it if I thought the 1984 version with Sting was the most ridiculous sci-fi tripe of all time or?
Picture Johann Sebastian Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor played on a pipe organ. That's today's versions.

Now picture a 30 second sample played on a calliope. That's the '84 version.

The books are brutal. And I'm a reader

I think I enjoyed the first one a bit more. Part 2 was still great with some amazing scenes, first one just flowed a bit better for me.

Sort of spoilerish stop reading…..

I haven’t read books and didn’t remember anything from first one other than worms and Sting…but that ending was kind of WTF for me. Is there another one, or did I miss something.

I think I enjoyed the first one a bit more. Part 2 was still great with some amazing scenes, first one just flowed a bit better for me.

I haven’t read books and didn’t remember anything from first one other than worms and Sting…but that ending was kind of WTF for me. Is there another one, or did I miss something.
There are actually six Dune books. The first ends pretty much where the movie does. The next book Dune: Messiah continues the story this way:

Twelve years have passed since the beginning of Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides' rule as Emperor. By accepting the role of messiah to the Fremen, Paul has unleashed a jihad which conquered most of the known universe. Paul is the most powerful emperor ever known, but is powerless to stop the lethal excesses of the religious juggernaut he has created. Although 61 billion people have perished, Paul's prescient visions indicate that this is far from the worst possible outcome for humanity. Motivated by this knowledge, Paul hopes to set humanity on a course that will not inevitably lead to stagnation and destruction, while at the same time acting as ruler of the empire and focal point of the Fremen religion

A third movie hasn't been greenlit by the studio yet, but IMO that's inevitable.

There are actually six Dune books. The first ends pretty much where the movie does. The next book Dune: Messiah continues the story this way:

Twelve years have passed since the beginning of Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides' rule as Emperor. By accepting the role of messiah to the Fremen, Paul has unleashed a jihad which conquered most of the known universe. Paul is the most powerful emperor ever known, but is powerless to stop the lethal excesses of the religious juggernaut he has created. Although 61 billion people have perished, Paul's prescient visions indicate that this is far from the worst possible outcome for humanity. Motivated by this knowledge, Paul hopes to set humanity on a course that will not inevitably lead to stagnation and destruction, while at the same time acting as ruler of the empire and focal point of the Fremen religion

A third movie hasn't been greenlit by the studio yet, but IMO that's inevitable.
I had heard (don’t remember where) that Villeneuve wanted to take a small break between Dune 2 & 3 to develop the Rendezvous With Rama project. No idea on truth of that but definitely interesting if true.

Welp I saw it for the second time yesterday but this time at an Imax and it was like an entirely different movie. This needs to be seen in a theater that has a good/great sound system, feeling my chair shake with the scenes made the movie way more intense

The ending did not happen in the book. They completely changed Chani and Paul's relationship in this movie. I did not like that. I am becoming a "get off my lawn" kind of guy, I think.

The ending did not happen in the book. They completely changed Chani and Paul's relationship in this movie. I did not like that. I am becoming a "get off my lawn" kind of guy, I think.
Yeh, that's spoilerish, and my biggest dislike of the movie.

Welp I saw it for the second time yesterday but this time at an Imax and it was like an entirely different movie. This needs to be seen in a theater that has a good/great sound system, feeling my chair shake with the scenes made the movie way more intense
Did you just see standard/digital the first time? I am debating Imax vs Dolby

I missed out on Part One on theaters. I read half of the book, watched Part One, finished the book yesterday afternoon a couple hours before our ticketed time, watched Part Two in IMAX.

Had no clue about cast, every big reveal I was just tickled over. Loved who played the Emperor, the Princess and Feyd Rautha.

Having just read the books I kinda liked the adaptation changes they made with the kids. It made sense from a cinematic standpoint.

Did you just see standard/digital the first time? I am debating Imax vs Dolby
yeah, standard at a mall near me that seemed to have the volume turned down. if dolby/xd/titan were available near me I would have done that but it seems marin/sonoma can’t keep any theaters open

Going tonight. Dragging my wife along.

She didn't watch part 1 (sci-fi definitely not her thing). She kind of crinkled her nose like she smelled something while I explained the first movie to her. That was until I mentioned the blossoming romance storyline and her face softened immediately.

97% chance I get laid afterward as well.

EVERYTHING IS COMING UP JAYROD!!

Just saw part dos. I liked it. Definitely more than the first one. Not as much as like 5 movies from last year. But it was quite good.

One thing that always kills me - so much technology - 8000 years beyond current times - and they still have 1500s style massive hand to hand sword combat.

Spoilerish:

Did they mention Paul's mother is pregnant in the first movie? I don't remember that for sure, but I told my wife about the sister already.

Spoilerish:

Did they mention Paul's mother is pregnant in the first movie? I don't remember that for sure, but I told my wife about the sister already.
I don’t remember if it was mentioned in the first (don’t think so?) but not a big deal that you told her — they bring up the subject early on in this one.

Just saw part dos. I liked it. Definitely more than the first one. Not as much as like 5 movies from last year. But it was quite good.

One thing that always kills me - so much technology - 8000 years beyond current times - and they still have 1500s style massive hand to hand sword combat.
In Dune they have personal shields that render projectile and energy weapons largely useless.

In Dune they have personal shields that render projectile and energy weapons largely useless.
And they aren't just penetrated by a blade - only a slow blade. The training battle between Paul and Gurney covers it in Part 1.

Going tonight. Dragging my wife along.

She didn't watch part 1 (sci-fi definitely not her thing). She kind of crinkled her nose like she smelled something while I explained the first movie to her. That was until I mentioned the blossoming romance storyline and her face softened immediately.

97% chance I get laid afterward as well.

EVERYTHING IS COMING UP JAYROD!!
The night was incredible.

ALL of it.

Users who are viewing this thread