What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

I just got back. A little disappointed. I thought Part 1 was better in general. It had better character development, and more heart.

My expectations may have been too high. I would give this a 6.5/10.
I’m not sure where I would rate it, but I too liked the first one better. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it tremendously. After a couple of viewings, I’ll reevaluate.

I have some issue with the way some of the story played out, but that’s for another day.
I liked it the sound in some of the scenes was amazing whole damn theater was vibrating
The sound was good when it needed to be, but parts of it were just too loud.

Coolest scene was when they shot down the thropter and it fell and exploded behind them as they were running. Even my wife was like that was pretty awesome.

Seeing this tomorrow on the fancy screen. Excited. Actually declined round of golf to go.
Saw this with my wife. While I still liked Part 1 better,* Part 2 lived up to expectations. Give this a 9/10 (gave Part 1 a 9.5/10). If they can keep it up with Part 3 I think this gets into Star Wars and LOTR territory for greatest sci-fi trilogy of all time.

*I liked the world building in Part 1 much better, and I really dug the Sardaukar and thought they were a little too easily dispatched in Part 2.

Have not sat in a movie theater since before the Pandemic...

-I always like to go the 2nd Weekend after the initial launch, seems like it did very well at the Box Office, there is anew IMax here in PB Gardens...$20+ per ticket
I think it will be worth it for the special effects, sound, the 1st one WON 6 Academy Awards which I didn't even know until i watched it on Netflix over 2 nights...
I just hope I can sit there for 3 hours, I might have to pack a sandwich, no tuna fish of course.

I'm almost afraid to have a coke, I'll be making trips to the bathroom. I want to light up a joint before but again might need to be sober to make it thru 3 hours.
If I can coax the Mrs to play hooky with me one day this week, would like to take to hit the early afternoon time slot

Last edited:
So good. I didn’t know this was part 2 of 3 though. I was sitting there thinking…….how are they going to wrap this up in 30 minutes lol
Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
Sounds like a trilogy was always the plan. With the success of the first 2 there will most definitely be a 3rd. I never read the book but the second movie literally just ends in the middle of a few storylines.

Saw it on the largest screen I could with Dolby Atmos. Sounds and visuals were absolutely stunning.
Yes, a few character driven "slow" parts, but 90% of the movie is just pure enjoyment.

Crazy how certain directors can just make things seem larger scale.

So it's weird. We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Salt Lake, and at all 3 of them it only shows Dune 2 as available through March 7th, and then nothing until March 21st (Ghostbusters).

Why would they only play it for a week, and then have the theater just sitting empty for 2 weeks until the next movie?

Hopefully it's just that they haven't listed the tickets on the website yet, but it's weird that March 1-7 have been on sale for a while now, and the Ghostbusters tix on March 21 are already available, if that were the case.
My initial guess.....Kung Fu Panda starts next week. Maybe it's showing on that screen??

So good. I didn’t know this was part 2 of 3 though. I was sitting there thinking…….how are they going to wrap this up in 30 minutes lol
Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
Too many awesome movies is a bad thing now? :lol:

So it's weird. We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Salt Lake, and at all 3 of them it only shows Dune 2 as available through March 7th, and then nothing until March 21st (Ghostbusters).

Why would they only play it for a week, and then have the theater just sitting empty for 2 weeks until the next movie?

Hopefully it's just that they haven't listed the tickets on the website yet, but it's weird that March 1-7 have been on sale for a while now, and the Ghostbusters tix on March 21 are already available, if that were the case.
My initial guess.....Kung Fu Panda starts next week. Maybe it's showing on that screen??
One of our local theaters (standard, no imax) appears to be replacing Dune 2 with Panda 4 on Friday. :lmao: They gotta be kidding me about dropping Dune 2 after a week.

Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I shouldn't have left out "in the theater", which I just added. I don't enjoy movies that need to be split up like that - be it Kill Bill, Harry Potter, or whatever. And I tend to forget plot points (which is why I also don't do many tv shows). Also, when I looked the next week options for the best screen at my theater is already filled with Kung Fu Panda 4. Movies are expensive, so I will just pass on this one if it's part 2 of 3 AND already not on the best screens at the theater.

One of our local theaters (standard, no imax) appears to be replacing Dune 2 with Panda 4 on Friday. :lmao: They gotta be kidding me about dropping Dune 2 after a week.
Yup. I was shocked as well.

Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I shouldn't have left out "in the theater", which I just added. I don't enjoy movies that need to be split up like that - be it Kill Bill, Harry Potter, or whatever. And I tend to forget plot points (which is why I also don't do many tv shows). Also, when I looked the next week options for the best screen at my theater is already filled with Kung Fu Panda 4. Movies are expensive, so I will just pass on this one if it's part 2 of 3 AND already not on the best screens at the theater.
I never read the book so I didn’t know. I guess part 2 ends right where the original book ends so in essence there doesn’t have to be a part 3. Sounds like part 3 is going to be the next book, if you watch the movie though, they most definitely set up for another part.

Yup. I was shocked as well.
I messaged them and they said their full schedule isn't set yet; "advance bookings" come later today and then they can finish the schedule. Seems like they would have "advance booked" more than a week but what do I know.

Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it in the theater if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
It is just part 2 but I'm genuinely not following your logic. It's a great movie and the visuals and action scenes are stunning - why does the fact it's part 2 of 3 trump your desire to see this in the best setting possible?

Each of the Kung Fu Panda movies out earned Dune at the box office. And I'm relatively sure that Kung Fu Panda 4 will out earn Dune 2 as well.
Everyone knows the most important weekends for movie openings are the first one's, so it's not a surprise at all to see them replacing Dune so soon. Further kids movies almost always gross more for movie theaters than adult movies.

And in regard to future Dune movies, as I've read from the googles, director signed on for 3 movies as that was the arc as he intended. It's quite possible this will go on to more than 3 movies as well if there is interest.

Wait, really?

If so- f that
Huh?
I am not going to bother watching it in the theater if it is indeed just part 2 of 3 for this movie. So my reaction was more asking verification that was the case (or I look up tonight).
It is just part 2 but I'm genuinely not following your logic. It's a great movie and the visuals and action scenes are stunning - why does the fact it's part 2 of 3 trump your desire to see this in the best setting possible?
look, if he wants to watch it on his apple watch while he takes a dump then it's his prerogative :shrug:

I saw saturday at my local theater and the sound sucked 👎, luckily my kid is flying up wednesday and we are going to head to an imax to watch it once he gets in

Each of the Kung Fu Panda movies out earned Dune at the box office. And I'm relatively sure that Kung Fu Panda 4 will out earn Dune 2 as well.
Everyone knows the most important weekends for movie openings are the first one's, so it's not a surprise at all to see them replacing Dune so soon. Further kids movies almost always gross more for movie theaters than adult movies.

And in regard to future Dune movies, as I've read from the googles, director signed on for 3 movies as that was the arc as he intended. It's quite possible this will go on to more than 3 movies as well if there is interest.
The first Dune did come out when most theaters were still closed and it streamed on Max opening night. All the KF movies were pre-pandemic. KF3 beat Dune 1 by about $100 million which isn’t much when you factor in the circumstances.

My only criticism was the Walken casting...I would have chosen somebody else.
He seemed ancient. I would say it's unrealistic somebody so old and feeble should be running a powerful empire but...
Well, you shoulda see the other option for Emperor...

ETA: Honestly though, both my wife and I shared your sentiment.

Last edited:
So um, are these books?

Whats the genre? Are these scf-fi? Like what other movie would you equate these too?

So um, are these books?

Whats the genre? Are these scf-fi? Like what other movie would you equate these too?
The book is from the 60s, and IMO you can see the DNA of many other things in it that people are more familiar with. There are some very obvious comparisons to Star Wars and Game of Thrones.

So um, are these books?

Clear ripoff of Star Wars.

:sarcasm:for those unsure
I'm seriously asking..... Never seen the OG or the first one....

Not sure its my cup of tea and never vested interest..... is it Mad Maxish?
IMO no. There is more religion and politics in this - more Game of Thrones in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread