What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

There are a couple lines that are kind of thrown in yet are actually quite important that clarify things.

In short...

Emperor Shaddam is a jerk and he has a lot of jerk families on his side - like the Harkonnens.

A lot of other families are sick of it and are starting to side with the Atreides. The Emperor knows this and launches a plot, in league with the Harkonnens, to destroy House Atreides - which is why they're sent to Arrakis.

The Bene Gesserit are like the Roman Catholic Church of medieval times and have their own agenda.

The Fremen are biding their time to strike against the power structure.

Spice is what is used to enable interstellar travel. So it's the most important thing there is.

Yep and I thought they did a perfectly fine job explaining all of this. The political motivations of the emperor sending house Atreides there and setting them up to be destroyed because he was worried about the other houses aligning with them was spelled out multiple times. The Duke (Oscar Isaac) spelled it out explicitly in a conversation with Paul. And then the Baron and Batista repeated the conversation a second time, explicitly. Then it was hinted at multiple times beyond that as well.

Same thing with spice. They literally said, explicitly and verbatim, that spice is the key to interstellar travel and hence is the most valuable resource in the universe. Twice, if I recall.
I don't think you're attacking us non-book readers, and to be clear I loved the Dune movie and overall thought they did a great job trying to explain the story and background, but as somebody who had no idea who was who and what was what it's just such a rich story that while they did the best job they could it was still complicated.

I agree they made the value of the spice obvious. I also agree that the emperor's plot/plan to trap Atreides was evident. I guess my minor "gripe" was more so that I didn't really get the Bene Gesserit and it did take a subsequent watch and some internet research to fully understand the "world" of Dune. I agree that it's very GoT like and I'm glad I had the GoT experience as the whole rich world-building with distinct familes/factions and an ongoing battle for control by each family is much paralleled.

I liked the reboot plenty. I’ve watched it 3 times.

To pretend that the Arrakis clan departing only for them to return immediately isn’t ridiculous is well…. Ridiculous.

I get the politics of it all but it doesn’t change the fact that it just doesn’t make sense so early in the story. It’s something that I just have to ignore/see past to enjoy the rest of it.

I agree they made the value of the spice obvious. I also agree that the emperor's plot/plan to trap Atreides was evident. I guess my minor "gripe" was more so that I didn't really get the Bene Gesserit and it did take a subsequent watch and some internet research to fully understand the "world" of Dune.
As much as they tried to emphasis the importance of the spice I feel like every movie has missed. It's not important to life as they know it, it is everything to life as they know. It would be like trying to explain to aliens via movie how we look at air IMO. How do you depict that adequately? That's a tough one.

The Bene Gesserit are tough as well, as most of the ruling families are. My daughter watched Dune and then started reading the books and it was tough trying to explain the role they played in the grand scheme of things. It's hard to do justice to an entity that spans the amount of time the Bene Gesserit do. It's like trying to explain the Chinese long game of 50-100-500 years as opposed to the US 4 year churn.

I agree they made the value of the spice obvious. I also agree that the emperor's plot/plan to trap Atreides was evident. I guess my minor "gripe" was more so that I didn't really get the Bene Gesserit and it did take a subsequent watch and some internet research to fully understand the "world" of Dune.
As much as they tried to emphasis the importance of the spice I feel like every movie has missed. It's not important to life as they know it, it is everything to life as they know. It would be like trying to explain to aliens via movie how we look at air IMO. How do you depict that adequately? That's a tough one.

The Bene Gesserit are tough as well, as most of the ruling families are. My daughter watched Dune and then started reading the books and it was tough trying to explain the role they played in the grand scheme of things. It's hard to do justice to an entity that spans the amount of time the Bene Gesserit do. It's like trying to explain the Chinese long game of 50-100-500 years as opposed to the US 4 year churn.

I don't think we're really supposed to know the Bene Gesserit's full motivations, etc yet. We know that they generally have shadowy selfish motives (they say as much) and will align themselves with whomever can best help them achieve that, but don't really care about the houses or the emperor etc beyond how those things can benefit them. Their end goal? I don't think that's meant to be cut and dry yet.

For a GoT parallel it's a lot like Littlefinger (or Varys). How would you describe his motivations part way through that series? I would describe him the exact same way. We never really knew what his motivations were, other than that they were selfish and he would align and re-align himself with whomever best helped him accomplish his shadowy schemes that were generally opaque to us as viewers.

Last edited:

I don't think we're really supposed to know the Bene Gesserit's full motivations, etc yet. We know that they generally have shadowy selfish motives (they say as much) and will align themselves with whomever can best help them achieve that, but don't really care about the houses or the emperor etc beyond how those things can benefit them. Their end goal? I don't think that's meant to be cut and dry yet.

For a GoT parallel it's a lot like Littlefinger (or Varys). How would you describe his motivations part way through that series? I would describe him the exact same way. We never really knew what his motivations were, other than that they were selfish and he would align and re-align himself with whomever best helped him accomplish his shadowy schemes that were generally opaque to us as viewers.
Well put

To pretend that the Arrakis clan departing only for them to return immediately isn’t ridiculous is well…. Ridiculous.

I get the politics of it all but it doesn’t change the fact that it just doesn’t make sense so early in the story. It’s something that I just have to ignore/see past to enjoy the rest of it.
Movies have to resort to shorthand sometimes. Having inter titles with "Six months later" is way more lame, IMO.

And it's not "early" in the story, it's the year 10000-something. Clearly things have been in motion for quite some time before we were plopped into the middle (at best) of it.

Movies have to resort to shorthand sometimes. Having inter titles with "Six months later" is way more lame, IMO.

And it's not "early" in the story, it's the year 10000-something. Clearly things have been in motion for quite some time before we were plopped into the middle (at best) of it.
Another parallel to Star Wars with them dropping us into Episode IV right out the gate. There was already a little rebellion in process and millennia of backstory in motion.

I've not read this entire thread, but looking at the last few posts, evidently the complexity of the story is being discussed.
I'm that geek that went to the 1984 movie without any back knowledge, loved it, and have since read everything Dune.
I have seen the move a lot, and I have seen this current one at least five times.

All I can really add to the discussion is this: a few weeks ago I actually came across the flyer that was handed out at the theater for the 1984 movie, yes I still had it tucked away. It is a two sided piece of paper with terminology to help you follow the story. That is a complex story out the gate.

I read the books a few times, again recently. I have all the later books but only read most once, if that. I really liked the first movie. Probably saw it ten times streamed. Can I see the 2nd movie on streaming yet or what? Tia.

I didn't even know there was a 1984 version. Is it worth watching?
I think so, but many would disagree.
Of course, it tells the full story in one movie, so don't watch it before you watch part 2 of the current one, unless you want it spoiled.
It didn't get great reviews, and the story is there was hours of footage cut that I would love to see.
My understanding is the director, David Lynch, was not happy with having to cut so much, and was not pleased nor proud of the result.
From IMDB:
Writer and director David Lynch has said he considers this movie the only real failure of his career. To this day, he refuses to talk about the production in great detail, and has refused numerous offers to work on a Special Edition DVD. Lynch had always claimed that revisiting the movie would be too painful an experience to endure.
It does have some big names in it. Kyle MacLachlan, Jose Ferrer, Patrick Stewart, Jürgen Prochnow, Max von Sydow, and Sting.

Of course, it tells the full story in one movie, so don't watch it before you watch part 2 of the current one, unless you want it spoiled.
It didn't get great reviews, and the story is there was hours of footage cut that I would love to see.
My understanding is the director, David Lynch, was not happy with having to cut so much, and was not pleased nor proud of the result.
From IMDB:
Writer and director David Lynch has said he considers this movie the only real failure of his career. To this day, he refuses to talk about the production in great detail, and has refused numerous offers to work on a Special Edition DVD. Lynch had always claimed that revisiting the movie would be too painful an experience to endure.
It does have some big names in it. Kyle MacLachlan, Jose Ferrer, Patrick Stewart, Jürgen Prochnow, Max von Sydow, and Sting.
For kicks I pulled this up on HBO max. Holy crap, this is the most 1980s movie ever.

From IMDB:
For kicks I pulled this up on HBO max. Holy crap, this is the most 1980s movie ever.

There’s also a three part mini series called Frank Herbert’s Dune that was on the SciFi channel about 20 years ago that I’ve never seen but have read was pretty good. They made a sequel a few years later called Children of Dune. I’ve looked for it a couple times over the years but haven’t been able to find it streaming anywhere.

From IMDB:

There’s also a three part mini series called Frank Herbert’s Dune that was on the SciFi channel about 20 years ago that I’ve never seen but have read was pretty good. They made a sequel a few years later called Children of Dune. I’ve looked for it a couple times over the years but haven’t been able to find it streaming anywhere.
Haven't watched them since they came out, but looks like they are on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2TZfBc284

I loved the Dune books. Always thought it would be near impossible to put on the big screen and certainly impossible to narrate through all the political slants and history in a 2 1/2 hour movie.
I liked the Lynch version okay :shrug: Came out in 1984. Was super ambitious and I thought they did a good job nailing the key points.
New version I thought was good as well, but I didn't think it was some masterpiece. It's a lot easier to put the brush to canvas when you have a much larger budget, much better effects tools and the latitude to split into two movies over nearly 6 hours of time.
I think the 84 version was the first movie I can recall thinking that the book was much better than the movie. Of course I was a preteen and most of the material I read beforehand wasn't made into movies. I always thought Dune would be an awesome mini series if they could nail it - not even going into subsequent books, it would just be overwhelming into only the most ardent of fans. I never watched the Sci Fi miniseries, maybe I will sometime. I also always thought The Stand would be a great miniseries - only saw the first one and it came out relatively meh - I thought casting was an issue on that one.

I loved the Dune books. Always thought it would be near impossible to put on the big screen and certainly impossible to narrate through all the political slants and history in a 2 1/2 hour movie.
I liked the Lynch version okay :shrug: Came out in 1984. Was super ambitious and I thought they did a good job nailing the key points.
New version I thought was good as well, but I didn't think it was some masterpiece. It's a lot easier to put the brush to canvas when you have a much larger budget, much better effects tools and the latitude to split into two movies over nearly 6 hours of time.
I think the 84 version was the first movie I can recall thinking that the book was much better than the movie. Of course I was a preteen and most of the material I read beforehand wasn't made into movies. I always thought Dune would be an awesome mini series if they could nail it - not even going into subsequent books, it would just be overwhelming into only the most ardent of fans. I never watched the Sci Fi miniseries, maybe I will sometime. I also always thought The Stand would be a great miniseries - only saw the first one and it came out relatively meh - I thought casting was an issue on that one.

the books were good but felt bloated and tough to get through at times. the 1984 movie was ok. new dune absolutely blows the old movie and the books away imo

From IMDB:
I mostly finished it (fell asleep for a chunk) and I can report that this is only worth watching if you are making fun of it in a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 sort of way. My prior post was off about it being an 80s movie, this is more of a 1960s, Star Trek original series than something you’d expect from a movie coming out after Return of the Jedi.

Cant make weekend showings but have Tuesday tickets purchased at one of the local iMax, super duper screens for Tuesday. :NerdBoner:

I wonder if the folks who really like the storytelling of the first film are book readers who benefit from all the context and character development arising from the source material.
I’ve never read the book and certainly never will. Great movie though.
I never read the book but started listening to the audiobook in preparation for part two. My job provides me plenty of car time so I’m banging through it. It’s good.

Saw Part One on my iPad on a long flight. Considering watching Part Two on the big screen. Should I? Or can I just do the iPad again?

Saw Part One on my iPad on a long flight. Considering watching Part Two on the big screen. Should I? Or can I just do the iPad again?

If there is any movie worth watching on the big screen, it is this one. You should try to find a theater showing Part 1 and rewatch it.
screw that, wait til part 2 is streaming and watch it on your phone. 🐐 move

Just got home from part 2, loved it. Completely locked in the entire time, every moment of it was spectacular
did you see it in an imax or any kind of special theater or just a regular one?
Dolby Cinema. Picture quality is better in IMAX, but I can’t do it without the recliners, and Dolby Cinema has the best audio experience bar none imo.

Just got home from part 2, loved it. Completely locked in the entire time, every moment of it was spectacular
Yeah, I saw it tonight too. If you liked part 1 you’ll love this. Beautifully done, awesome tech, some stunning visuals, a lot more world building of the politics and such. I’ll definitely rewatch.

Going today. I was late to the game with part 1 and only watched it recently on the TV. Definitely looking forward to seeing this on the big screen

It's awesome. Highly recommend the Dolby screen if you have one available...it really pops certain scenes that showcase the blacker black of that screen. The sound mix is incredible, too. It's akin to the bomb sequence in Oppenheimer but for the majority of the film.

IMAX with laser
Dolby Cinema
Digital

I am guessing the digital is just the regular version. Should I go for the IMAX or the Dolby?

IMAX with laser
Dolby Cinema
Digital

I am guessing the digital is just the regular version. Should I go for the IMAX or the Dolby?
Picture quality with IMAX is better, but not by enough to outweigh the audio experience you get with Dolby Cinema. Dolby Cinema has spatial audio and speakers in your seat. At least around here IMAX has regular seats that don’t recline, when you factor that in it’s an easy decision for me. I vote Dolby Cinema.

So it's weird. We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Salt Lake, and at all 3 of them it only shows Dune 2 as available through March 7th, and then nothing until March 21st (Ghostbusters).

Why would they only play it for a week, and then have the theater just sitting empty for 2 weeks until the next movie?

Hopefully it's just that they haven't listed the tickets on the website yet, but it's weird that March 1-7 have been on sale for a while now, and the Ghostbusters tix on March 21 are already available, if that were the case.

So it's weird. We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Salt Lake, and at all 3 of them it only shows Dune 2 as available through March 7th, and then nothing until March 21st (Ghostbusters).

Why would they only play it for a week, and then have the theater just sitting empty for 2 weeks until the next movie?

Hopefully it's just that they haven't listed the tickets on the website yet, but it's weird that March 1-7 have been on sale for a while now, and the Ghostbusters tix on March 21 are already available, if that were the case.
Sounds like a glitch in their ticketing system

I just got back. A little disappointed. I thought Part 1 was better in general. It had better character development, and more heart.

My expectations may have been too high. I would give this a 6.5/10.

Users who are viewing this thread