What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Hillary Clinton 2016 thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol .  Scott Brown won in an incredibly unique situation.  He never was a conservative, the GOP just backed him because he gave them the best chance to pick up a seat and stop Obamacare.

Let's be specific with your "formula"- what GOP candidate(s) do you feel would win the POTUS right now?
Not sure what you are LOLing about...I live in the state and saw his campaign...he ran as a moderate conservative (the second time he didn't...and got beat easily)...and the grassroots efforts by the public was something I have never seen before...yes, he got outside $ from those looking to stop Obamacare but that was only a piece of the puzzle...

Right now I really don't see anyone I want as President (on both sides)...overall I want another Ronny but that aint happening...today if I could make one up it would be a guy like Mitt Romney who has private-sector experience, usually handles himself in a dignified manner but has a little of Trump's ability to tell the PC crew to screw and get a little dirty when necessary...Mitt was just a little too soft and cared what the New York Times thought about him...

I have said it before but currently I believe the GOP is inept and the dems are dangerous and I see nothing during this current election cycle to make me think otherwise...

Not sure what you are LOLing about...I live in the state and saw his campaign...he ran as a moderate conservative (the second time he didn't...and got beat easily)...and the grassroots efforts by the public was something I have never seen before...yes, he got outside $ from those looking to stop Obamacare but that was only a piece of the puzzle...

Right now I really don't see anyone I want as President (on both sides)...overall I want another Ronny but that aint happening...today if I could make one up it would be a guy like Mitt Romney who has private-sector experience, usually handles himself in a dignified manner but has a little of Trump's ability to tell the PC crew to screw and get a little dirty when necessary...Mitt was just a little too soft and cared what the New York Times thought about him...

I have said it before but currently I believe the GOP is inept and the dems are dangerous and I see nothing during this current election cycle to make me think otherwise...
I'm LOLing at your revisionist history.  The Obamacare thing was by far the largest piece of the puzzle, and again, that was a completely different situation than a national race for POTUS.

You' say it's such an easy answer, yet the only person you have named is a modified version of someone who has already gotten trounced once in the election.  Not so easy, is it?

It's not just the Trumpites who will be pissed, it's also the Cruzites, but I'm not saying none of them will show up, just not nearly enough.  The GOP starts out in the hole as it is, they can't afford to alienate that many voters.  Kasich has zero chance to win with the way this would have to go down.
I agree with this.  The Republicans have a convention Rule 40(b) that requires that any nominee must have won a majority of delegates in 8 states.  The rule had been 5 states but was changed in 2012 to 8.  The convention delegates can amend or even drop the Rule but it is hard to see how Trump-supporting delegates would want to drop a Rule that opens up the convention to nominations from others.  Cruz might want to do it, just to make Kasich and Rubio eligible to get first ballot votes, but that's opening a Pandora's box for him too.  Kasich will likely have won only 1 state by the Convention.  What I do not know is what happens to the Kasich and Rubio pledged delegates on the first ballot if their nominee is not eligible for nomination.  If their state rules require them to vote for the primary winner, but that person cannot be nominated, what would they do?      

The convention delegates can amend or even drop the Rule but it is hard to see how Trump-supporting delegates would want to drop a Rule that opens up the convention to nominations from others.  
The delegates Trump has won are, for the most part, not necessarily Trump supporters. They're required to vote for him on the first few ballots, but that's it.

The delegates Trump has won are, for the most part, not necessarily Trump supporters. They're required to vote for him on the first few ballots, but that's it.
In addition, the delegates don't vote on the convention rules, the rules committee (which is mostly party insiders) does.

I agree with this.  The Republicans have a convention Rule 40(b) that requires that any nominee must have won a majority of delegates in 8 states.  The rule had been 5 states but was changed in 2012 to 8.  The convention delegates can amend or even drop the Rule but it is hard to see how Trump-supporting delegates would want to drop a Rule that opens up the convention to nominations from others.  Cruz might want to do it, just to make Kasich and Rubio eligible to get first ballot votes, but that's opening a Pandora's box for him too.  Kasich will likely have won only 1 state by the Convention.  What I do not know is what happens to the Kasich and Rubio pledged delegates on the first ballot if their nominee is not eligible for nomination.  If their state rules require them to vote for the primary winner, but that person cannot be nominated, what would they do?      
As Kasich says (correctly), there are no rules yet for the upcoming convention.  They can be whatever the rules committee votes them to be.  The GOP knows they cannot win with Trump or Cruz given voting demographics.  They are in quite a bind.

Hillary being Hillary on her position of the 28 pages related to Saudi involvement in 9/11.  dailycaller.com/2016/04/18/hillary-refuses-to-say-whether-shes-seen-the-28-classified-pages-from-the-911-report/

I'm serious losing faith in our country's "leadership."  Of all things, we won't go after those who attacked us on our own soil -- who killed good men and women at their jobs and going about their business?  Brave responders who died from diseases afterwards...  And some want to burry that for politics and big money?  

Sickening.  The fact Hillary dodges here is similarly sickening.

This is the status quo you vote for with her.

Last edited:
Hillary being Hillary on her position of the 28 pages related to Saudi involvement in 9/11.  dailycaller.com/2016/04/18/hillary-refuses-to-say-whether-shes-seen-the-28-classified-pages-from-the-911-report/

I'm serious losing faith in our country's "leadership."  Of all things, we won't go after those who attacked us on our own soil -- who killed good men and women at their jobs and going about their business?  Brave responders who died from diseases afterwards...  And some want to burry that for politics and big money?  

Did not picture you as a reader of the Daily Caller.  

The article says her campaign announced it backed Schumer's bill to allow the families to sue the Saudi government.  I don't see the dodge.  Don't know why she should be required to answer a question about what classified material she has read.  

The article says her campaign announced it backed Schumer's bill to allow the families to sue the Saudi government.  I don't see the dodge.  Don't know why she should be required to answer a question about what classified material she has read.  
Well, to be fair, she's about to have to answer a number of questions on that subject pretty soon.  What's one more?

As Kasich says (correctly), there are no rules yet for the upcoming convention.  They can be whatever the rules committee votes them to be.  The GOP knows they cannot win with Trump or Cruz given voting demographics.  They are in quite a bind.
Didn't you say Kasich and Ryan would win?  What's the bind then- just change the rules and give either of them the nomination.  Easy peasy, right?

Didn't you say Kasich and Ryan would win?  What's the bind then- just change the rules and give either of them the nomination.  Easy peasy, right?
Look  -- it's impossible to predict with certainty, so I walk back any certainty.  I think that with 2/3 of Americans distrusting Hillary and at least a scalding rebuke of her by the FBI coming, on top of multiple dimensions of weakness for Hillary as a candidate, that if Kasich were to be nominated, the dust would settle in 2-3 months and the anger by the Trump and Cruz fans would diminish and the election will be become about a predominant theme:  Don't elect Hillary.  Independents will be swayed.  A good quarter of Democrats will be swayed.  The Republicans will come out in force.  I think Hillary stands a good chance of losing.  Whereas is it's Cruz or Trump, Independents won't touch them.  Zero Democrats will.  And a good 1/3 of the Republican base is completely off the table. 

I do at least a once daily Google search for Hillary email - so all news sources come up.  :bag:  

I'm really pissed about this 28 pages and I'm taking out on Hillary, because she's not one to lead with principle when there are politics at stake.  It would be financially dangerous to mess with the Saudis -- something the Saudis are blackmailing us with as we speak...  But the American I know cannot stand by when we identify those who attacked us, and I see Hillary squarely within the pocket of those who would forgive a connection to 9/11 if it weren't in line with their agenda.

No one involved with perpetrating 9/11 should be forgiven.  They should be hunted mercilessly.  Any other tack for me must be strongly condemned. 

Can you explain why you think the Dems are dangerous?

Time to get serious about the VP choice. My top 3: 

1. Liz Warren

2. Corey Booker

3. Julian Castro

I'd love to see Warren because it would energize the base and two women would be awesome. Even guys like NC Commish, Sinn Fein and Slapdash might vote for that ticket! But even if she asked don't know if Warren would agree; she doesn't seem to have the stomach for a national campaign. 

Booker is the future of the Democratic Party (I hope). But he is centrist and pro-business like her so I don't know how much it would enthuse the base. 

Julian Castro seemed like the obvious choice and a sure fire way to energize Latinos. But they're going to be energized already if Trump is the opponent....

timschochet said:

1. Liz Warren

2. Corey Booker

3. Julian Castro

I'd love to see Warren because it would energize the base and two women would be awesome. Even guys like NC Commish, Sinn Fein and Slapdash might vote for that ticket! But even if she asked don't know if Warren would agree; she doesn't seem to have the stomach for a national campaign. 

Booker is the future of the Democratic Party (I hope). But he is centrist and pro-business like her so I don't know how much it would enthuse the base. 

Julian Castro seemed like the obvious choice and a sure fire way to energize Latinos. But they're going to be energized already if Trump is the opponent....
Does Michael Nutter have any chance at all?  He's been stumping for her pretty hard on CNN.  I liked Nutter as our mayor in Philly.  I'm guessing the keyword is Mayor and he has no shot.

timschochet said:

1. Liz Warren

2. Corey Booker

3. Julian Castro

Warren is a nice fantasy, but it will never happen.

I like Booker but that would bring back the race issue we had on the right with Obama

Castro does seem the front runner, but I see the charges that Hillary is pandering to Hispanics with this choice and as you noted, Trump alone will be enough to energize the Latino masses.

My choice would be Sherrod Brown, solid progressive and being from Ohio might make the difference in that always pivotal swing state. Earlier this year Rolling Stone looked at some VP choices for Hillary and said this about Brown:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/who-would-hillary-clintons-vice-president-be-20160303?page=2

Sherrod Brown

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, who backed Clinton in October, is one of the most prominent progressives in the Senate. Outside of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, it wouldn't get much better for the liberal base Clinton will need in the fall. Speaking of the fall, picking Brown might bolster Clinton's chances of swinging the crucial state of Ohio in Democrats' favor in November. The senator has a sterling progressive record: He's voted repeatedly against measures banning same-sex marriage (including DOMA) over the course of his political career, he opposed the war in Iraq, and he's proposed legislation that would break up the big banks.

Brown has been a fierce critic of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, which Clinton also came out against in the fall, and a strong advocate for LGBT voters and union members, groups that Clinton has made inroads with, and for veterans, a contingent with which she could use some help. And Brown seems eager to offer any help he can; as he told Chris Matthews, "I have total confidence that in this campaign, once she's elected, she will fight for growing the middle class from the middle out, that she will pay great attention to working-class voters and giving them opportunity to join the middle class." 

One thing that just hit me a minute ago...what if the GOP rallies behind Trump, but Cruz fights until the bitter end and is the one that damages the party.  

i.e. what if it's not disillusioned Trump supporters who end up unhappy, but Cruz's.  They have even less of a place to go than Trump's would since they believe, literally believe, Clinton is the devil I guess, but could they end up causing a lot of chaos and do real damage?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/bernie-sanders-supporters-demoralized-222297

Sanders supporters suffer through stages of grief

The New York loss demoralized some of Bernie's most impassioned backers.

Bernie Sanders’ supporters are experiencing the five stages of grief after a devastating 16-point loss in New York Tuesday night, a drubbing that greatly narrowed the Vermont senator’s path moving forward.

After holding out hope, some are beginning to accept the disheartening notion that the Vermont senator is now unlikely to win the party's nomination.

“It is over,” Lee Stonum, an avid Sanders supporter and public defender in Orange County, California, wrote on his Facebook page after the New York results were tallied. “I’m a little annoyed by the tone of the emails I’m now getting from the campaign that refuse to acknowledge this and claim there is still a path to the nomination. There is not.”

Stonum was originally just searching for an alternative to Hillary Clinton — someone he still says he will have a difficult time supporting. But he quickly became inspired by Sanders, donated to the campaign, and was hoping to cast his vote in a competitive race in California on June 7.

For some backers, anger and denial replaced “the Bern” they were feeling, leading them to question the result by pointing to the purging of thousands of New Yorkers from the voter rolls in Brooklyn.

Others had already graduated to the next phase — bargaining. Instead of arguing that they will win in the pledged delegate count, they are embracing a new long-shot strategy, outlined by Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver: fighting to a contested convention by flipping superdelegates to Sanders’ column come summer.

But by late in the week, even some of the most ardent Bernie backers had moved to the final stage of processing an emotional loss: depression and acceptance, coupled with a newfound frustration over a beloved campaign they now consider to be in denial of reality.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...lts/2016/04/bernie-sanders-ralph-nader-222127

Clinton camp: Will Sanders turn into Ralph Nader?

And yet Tim called Hillary winning the entire time, while you and others spent the last 6 months deriding her and her chances.

Hope you enjoy the Hillary era Jon.  
Very few people have predicted that Sanders would win not to mention the fact this race is much closer than any of the Hillary supporters thought it would be.

timschochet said:

1. Liz Warren

2. Corey Booker

3. Julian Castro

I hope it's Liz.  Her "just send us all your money and we'll figure out how much you get back" will be gold for whomever get the Republican nod.  Most asinine proposal I've seen in quite some time.

Warren is the break in case of emergency selection if the Republicans nominate someone other than Trump or Cruz and Clinton really needs to tap into the millennial vote. 

I don't see boring old white guy being the selection either though. Booker, Brown, Perez, Castro will all get looks. 

Enough with the Hillary cult: Her admirers ignore reality, dream of worshipping a queen

What is it with the Hillary cult?

As a lifelong Democrat who will be enthusiastically voting for Bernie Sanders in next week’s Pennsylvania primary, I have trouble understanding the fuzzy rosy filter through which Hillary fans see their champion. So much must be overlooked or discounted—from Hillary’s compulsive money-lust and her brazen indifference to normal rules to her conspiratorial use of shadowy surrogates and her sociopathic shape-shifting in policy positions for momentary expedience.

Hillary’s breathtaking lack of concrete achievements or even minimal initiatives over her long public career doesn’t faze her admirers a whit. They have a religious conviction of her essential goodness and blame her blank track record on diabolical sexist obstructionists. When at last week’s debate Hillary crassly blamed President Obama for the disastrous Libyan incursion that she had pushed him into, her acolytes hardly noticed. They don’t give a damn about international affairs—all that matters is transgender bathrooms and instant access to abortion.
Nonsense like this drivel is why Salon is about to got under.  What a joke.  

Even sadder that you felt this piece was worth sharing Sinn.  Hopefully you sober up soon.  

Sanders supporters suffer through stages of grief

The New York loss demoralized some of Bernie's most impassioned backers.

Bernie Sanders’ supporters are experiencing the five stages of grief after a devastating 16-point loss in New York Tuesday night, a drubbing that greatly narrowed the Vermont senator’s path moving forward.

After holding out hope, some are beginning to accept the disheartening notion that the Vermont senator is now unlikely to win the party's nomination.

“It is over,” Lee Stonum, an avid Sanders supporter and public defender in Orange County, California, wrote on his Facebook page after the New York results were tallied. “I’m a little annoyed by the tone of the emails I’m now getting from the campaign that refuse to acknowledge this and claim there is still a path to the nomination. There is not.”

Stonum was originally just searching for an alternative to Hillary Clinton — someone he still says he will have a difficult time supporting. But he quickly became inspired by Sanders, donated to the campaign, and was hoping to cast his vote in a competitive race in California on June 7.

For some backers, anger and denial replaced “the Bern” they were feeling, leading them to question the result by pointing to the purging of thousands of New Yorkers from the voter rolls in Brooklyn.

Others had already graduated to the next phase — bargaining. Instead of arguing that they will win in the pledged delegate count, they are embracing a new long-shot strategy, outlined by Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver: fighting to a contested convention by flipping superdelegates to Sanders’ column come summer.

But by late in the week, even some of the most ardent Bernie backers had moved to the final stage of processing an emotional loss: depression and acceptance, coupled with a newfound frustration over a beloved campaign they now consider to be in denial of reality.

This is pretty much spot on. Thank you for posting. I think I moved through each of those stages Tuesday night. My depression is mingled with shear amazement that Hillary can get a single vote. But like Lee said above "It's over." And for me it's not just the Democratic race that's over. I believe the best shot at stopping Hillary was the primary. I really don't see the GOP winning - there's just too much division and chaos. I really hope she doesn't become the Nixon of our generation. Yep, it's over.

timschochet said:

1. Liz Warren

2. Corey Booker

3. Julian Castro

:lmao:

"two women would be awesome"- why is that, Tim?  Is, you know, anything besides their sex important?

Mr. Ham said:

Serious question Ham.  Why the F are you reading the Daily Caller?  Maybe take a step back, realize that you are regularly reading and linking to garbage conservative propaganda, and take a look in the mirror.  

So basically for the first time I can remember no matter which party wins, we will have a president that most of the people in the country and the world, doesn't like, trust or respect. 

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. Going to be 4 years of mud slinging, scandals, distrust and having someone leading us that no one in the world respects. 

So basically for the first time I can remember no matter which party wins, we will have a president that most of the people in the country and the world, doesn't like, trust or respect. 

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. Going to be 4 years of mud slinging, scandals, distrust and having someone leading us that no one in the world respects. 

Hey, but we have to vote for her because she's the lesser of two evils.

And yet Tim called Hillary winning the entire time, while you and others spent the last 6 months deriding her and her chances.

Hope you enjoy the Hillary era Jon.  
Whoever thought Hillary was not going to win?   Hillary era will be total gridlock.  I am ok with that.  But the divisiveness and her corruption is going to suck for all.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question Ham.  Why the F are you reading the Daily Caller?  Maybe take a step back, realize that you are regularly reading and linking to garbage conservative propaganda, and take a look in the mirror.  
Explained that I do Google searches for news.  I see Saints published the same thing elsewhere.  It was the Hillary quote that stood out to me.  

The point is abstracted from the source.  It appears certain that the Saudis helped perpetrate 9/11.  We're doing nothing -- in fact there are camps knuckling down to keep it secret because of the implications.  The Saudis are blackmailing us to sit and stay.  It's a watershed moment for us as a nation to define what we care about.  Is it what Hillary cares about: secrecy, status quo, maintaining the current balance of power?  Or is it the justice I for one always thought we stood for as a nation:. Democracy and moral righteousness?

Feeling like the next 4 years has been defined for us. 

Most of the world has no respect or like for Hillary Clinton? Says who? 
In seriousness, the rest of the world (Western countries anyway) tend to have press that's much more rooted in the truth.  So they will tend to have more disdain, like they did with Bush before we discovered over 6-7 years what everyone else knew way earlier on.  

Identity politics is not always a bad thing. It will be good to have a woman President, finally. 
All things being equal, sure.  Hillary is the wrong one to carry the torch.  Good luck getting momentum aound identity politics and another woman president in our lifetime after her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread