What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official JACKIE BATTLE Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I really wouldn't trust the Chargers running game. Matthews likely back next week. Battle at least going forward will likely get some goal line touches if you absolutely need to own his handcuff.

If Mathews knocks himself out longterm, I think Battle is the guy to have in that backfield, but with Mathews healthy he's pretty worthless. I guess Mathews gets hurt as often as anyone, but it just seems like there's quite a few more valuable handcuffs/backups out there this year.

Anybody know if battle can convert to fullback and keep the glass from breaking? His yards after contact were by far the most impressive stats.

I think he lined up as fullback on a couple of plays, and there is some quote about the chargers using him as special teams 1st, RB 2nd, and FB 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:
'Kenny Powers said:
If Mathews knocks himself out longterm, I think Battle is the guy to have in that backfield, but with Mathews healthy he's pretty worthless. I guess Mathews gets hurt as often as anyone, but it just seems like there's quite a few more valuable handcuffs/backups out there this year.
So you're saying you wouldn't cuff Battle to him?

'Kenny Powers said:
I dont own Mathews in any of my money leagues, so thats probably half the reason why I dont feel like he's worth more than the backups I have like Hunter, Rodgers, Leshoure, etc.

I dont own Mathews in any of my money leagues, so thats probably half the reason why I dont feel like he's worth more than the backups I have like Hunter, Rodgers, Leshoure, etc.
So you're saying you have the starters for all three of these guys?

'the spanker said:
No, Im saying I feel like those backups, as well as a few others, have more value than Battle as non-handcuff bench players

'Kenny Powers said:
'the spanker said:
No, Im saying I feel like those backups, as well as a few others, have more value than Battle as non-handcuff bench players
Your joking right? Rodgers has been pathetic up to this point and with Leshoure coming off of injury the odds are against him.I do like Hunter though. ;)

As a Mathews owner, the silver lining to him missing the first two weeks is that SD was able to evaluate the other RB's. I think Battle is now the clear handcuff for Mathews. I stashed him this week. Mathews' injury history leads me to be willing to use a roster spot to carry his handcuff.

Your joking right? Rodgers has been pathetic up to this point and with Leshoure coming off of injury the odds are against him.I do like Hunter though. ;)
Jquiz 67 total yards and a TD on 15 touches.Leshoure 134 total yards and a TD on 30 touches. I don't think he was joking.

Looks like Battle is taking over the Tolbert role of goal line and short yardage. At 240lbs Battle is built like a tank and pushes the pile!

Jackie Battle already had football, so Chuck Norris had to do Martial Arts
:lmao: The legend of Jackie Battle rolls on another week. I feel like Battle would love it if he knew there was an 11 page thread on him and he was one of the most notable players in the shark pool LOL

Looks like Battle is taking over the Tolbert role of goal line and short yardage. At 240lbs Battle is built like a tank and pushes the pile!
At the risk of over-reacting, I thought this was a salient point.The last two years, Tolbert was a RB2 in SD, without really being "the guy." He got a decent amount of yards via the passing game, which Battle doesn't have a track record of doing, so I wouldn't expect Battle to put up 400 yards receiving like Tolbert did last year, but could we expect these end of year numbers:140 carries, 550 yards, 8 rushing TDs, 25 catches, 200 yards, 2 TDs?That isn't RB1 numbers, but it would have made for a borderline RB2/GREAT RB3 last year.

At the risk of over-reacting, I thought this was a salient point.The last two years, Tolbert was a RB2 in SD, without really being "the guy." He got a decent amount of yards via the passing game, which Battle doesn't have a track record of doing, so I wouldn't expect Battle to put up 400 yards receiving like Tolbert did last year, but could we expect these end of year numbers:140 carries, 550 yards, 8 rushing TDs, 25 catches, 200 yards, 2 TDs?That isn't RB1 numbers, but it would have made for a borderline RB2/GREAT RB3 last year.
How dare you bring analysis into this thread of hyperbole and legend.

How dare you bring analysis into this thread of hyperbole and legend.
Well that was assuming that Mathews stays healthy the rest of the season, and Battle deigns to allow him to touch the ball on occasion. ;) Obviously, if Mathews gets dinged, Battle will provide numbers that will make LT's 2006 season look average at best!****Was that more appropriate?**

Jquiz 67 total yards and a TD on 15 touches.Leshoure 134 total yards and a TD on 30 touches. I don't think he was joking.
Leshoure 63 total yards on 17 touches with 1 fumble.Jquiz 6 rushes for 18 yds with 4 catches for 40 yds.And what did Battle do again this week? Hello?

Leshoure 63 total yards on 17 touches with 1 fumble.Jquiz 6 rushes for 18 yds with 4 catches for 40 yds.And what did Battle do again this week? Hello?
Don't get me wrong. IF you go back to the beginning of this thread, I was one of the original band wagoneers. But to have such a reaction (legitimate reaction if it was schtick then by all means) to say that someone who thinks Leshoure or JQuiz don't offer similar or better situations than Battle is a joke is a bit much.

The cry to Battle continues, run Jackie run, Norm loves two headed RB attack and Jackie will lead the attack at the goal line :thumbup:

Curious that Waldman didn't even mention Jackie Battle in either the waiver wire piece or the up/down grades. That is kind of surprising. I'm not sure how much value Battle has when Matthews is all the way back, but he obviously has some value.

I am also starting this guy this week due to injuries/byes. should be some good numbers against the crappy NO def. he is kinda dependent on TDs but he did have some rec last week which was nice. NO/SD should be a shootout...

The legend that is JACKIE BATTLE is currently scheduled to start in 26% of CBS Leagues this weekend.

That number will surely increase manyfold over the coming days...

Train kept a rollin'

You were awfully quiet after week 3 and your statement.Battle definitely has more value than I expected after the touches he got last week, but its hard to say how healthy Mathews is. The next month or so should be telling.

I am currently starting Batle out of desperation. I have JStew and Hankerson and may change my mind. This whole RB1 on the depth chart is weird, I think take it with a grain of salt. My guess is Mathews goes off and we will be lucky if Battle gets time. Meachem is also listed as WR1 while Floyd is WR2, also a joke. Meachem is useless and Floyd is the WR to own for now. Floyd has 11 more targets than Meachem and Royal only has 2 less targets... thats 2 less targets than the WR1 on the depth chart

dont be surprised if Battle puts up a big ZERO!!!

I am currently starting Batle out of desperation. I have JStew and Hankerson and may change my mind. This whole RB1 on the depth chart is weird, I think take it with a grain of salt. My guess is Mathews goes off and we will be lucky if Battle gets time. Meachem is also listed as WR1 while Floyd is WR2, also a joke. Meachem is useless and Floyd is the WR to own for now. Floyd has 11 more targets than Meachem and Royal only has 2 less targets... thats 2 less targets than the WR1 on the depth chartdont be surprised if Battle puts up a big ZERO!!!
I have a hard time believing that after last week Battle is just going to ride the pine again and I think a zero is the least likely result. Rotoworld:
The Chargers.com depth chart now lists Jackie Battle as San Diego's first-team tailback, ahead of Ryan Mathews.Fantasy land loses its mind in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... We'll give the Chargers this: if this is all part of a message-sending process aimed at Mathews, it's certainly elaborate and bordering on public torment. Mathews was mistake free on 16 touches in Week 4 aside from one dropped pass on an apparent miscommunication with Philip Rivers. In Week 3, his red-zone fumble occurred on the third possession of the game after Mathews missed the previous six weeks with a collarbone fracture. Against the Chiefs last week, Battle was the primary back until the blowout win got out of hand. We'll have more on the Battle-Mathews situation as the week moves forward, but for now the tea leaves suggest this will be a timeshare backfield until something changes, despite a major talent disparity between the two runners. Oct 3 - 2:32 PM
Yahoo:
RB Jackie Battle should get the second start in as many games. Battle started the year as a backup to Ryan Mathews; Mathews' health and fumbling issues have allowed Battle to claim the starting job.
I don't know if Battle will actually start, but this doesn't sound like just Norv playing mind games. I think they like what Battle has to offer and are looking to use him in a Mike Tolbert kind of complimentary fashion. Especially consdiering NO has given up the most points to RBs so far, I actually like Battle a lot this week. I think he is a safe bet for RB2 numbers and could have a repeat of last week.

I am rolling him out as my rb2 this week.

amazingly, through 4 games(and counting SJAXs game last night), Jackie battle has more fantasy points than my RB1 and RB2 that I drafted in the first and fourth rounds. McFadden and SJAX. god my rbs are awful....

Rolling him out there in place of Fjax/Spiller...Going against the Matthews owner this week too, hope sunday night is fun!

Rolling him out there in place of Fjax/Spiller...Going against the Matthews owner this week too, hope sunday night is fun!
I have the same situation. I have some other options though because my league we can start just one RB and a third WR if needed. So I could use Brown or Jones to go with Ridley who I'm not sure doesn't have almost as bad as a matchup as the Bills guys against SF. Denver run D is good too...

Users who are viewing this thread