What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Knitting Thread (3 Viewers)

Irving seems bummed/pissed that his decision got leaked out.
Most people seem to think it was Chris Collins who leaked it. The story was posted at ZagsBlog saying as much, but then Collins' name was later removed. And seriously, it's been up for weeks at Inside Carolina and all but confirmed by the board's administrator. I'm not sure what went down, but the leak shouldn't have been news to Irving. I bet the kid's had a ticket to RDU for Friday to lobby Barnes this weekend since September.

Irving seems bummed/pissed that his decision got leaked out.
Most people seem to think it was Chris Collins who leaked it. The story was posted at ZagsBlog saying as much, but then Collins' name was later removed. And seriously, it's been up for weeks at Inside Carolina and all but confirmed by the board's administrator. I'm not sure what went down, but the leak shouldn't have been news to Irving. I bet the kid's had a ticket to RDU for Friday to lobby Barnes this weekend since September.
the whole leak things seems strange. Its been up on the Duke insider board since his official visit. I know its just going national now, but come on. I think Zagoria may have just thrown Collins' name on there. He has no credibility. Everyone knows that Irving was waiting to announce on TV or on twitter. Pretty crappy to do that to him just to claim a scoop on some silly blog. And yes, i have a feeling that Kyrie will be flying out of newark on friday as well.

So assuming that Irving and Barnes go to Duke, and I have no idea about Barnes, how do minutes get split up next year? Seems like someone's going to get squeezed out, no?

If Ripleys knows what's going on with Duke before it gets to the press, I think it's fairly safe to say that someone over there is probably a little too chatty.

What I read somewhere (not sure if this is true) is that ESPN/ESPNU will not cover an announcement when it has already been made public. That must be why Kyrie's camp has been so adament saying he has not committed to Duke when it is just a formaility.

Although not a UNC fan, I will answer your question Ripleys. I am not sure with a rivalry like Duke/UNC you can say who the top team is. They are both top 5 teams all time and each year, or period of 2 or 3 years will be different. For the past few years, UNC has been on top, but Duke could be headed for their turn to take the edge in the battle.

So assuming that Irving and Barnes go to Duke, and I have no idea about Barnes, how do minutes get split up next year? Seems like someone's going to get squeezed out, no?If Ripleys knows what's going on with Duke before it gets to the press, I think it's fairly safe to say that someone over there is probably a little too chatty.
if we assume everyone stays (not a given) the roster looks like this....Srs- Kyle Singler, Nolan SmithJrs- Miles Plumlee, Olek CzyzSophs- Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Seth CurryFrosh- Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes, Josh Hairston, Tyler ThorntonFor the record, i think Singler leaves after this year.(which solves most of the log-jam at the forward spots) From what some are saying, Smith is thinking about jumping too. If they both stay, its hard to tell what will go on. To get their best 5 on the floor, Singler would have to slide back to the 4. PG- IrvingSG- NolanSf- BarnesPF- SinglerC- Mason P.Curry backs up both guard spots. Dawkins backs up both wing spots. Hairston and Kelly backup at the 3/4. Miles at the 5. Czyz sees no minutes. Thorton probably should redshirt in this scenario, but likely wont.

If Singler leaves and Nolan stays, either Kelly or Miles Plumlee probably slides into the starting lineup. If Nolan leaves, Dawkins or Curry does.

Overall, its a pretty nice problem to have. It would be an absolutely loaded roster. With Singler, it could be an all time great duke team. However, the dominos havent fallen yet.

So assuming that Irving and Barnes go to Duke, and I have no idea about Barnes, how do minutes get split up next year? Seems like someone's going to get squeezed out, no?If Ripleys knows what's going on with Duke before it gets to the press, I think it's fairly safe to say that someone over there is probably a little too chatty.
They would be the two best players on the floor for Duke, assuming Singler leaves, and even if he stays there's plenty of room for all three. I don't see a squeeze of anyone who actually belongs on the court.Lots of people knew about this one for a while. Ripleys did know about Dawkins early matriculation, which I think is impressive ... but he also told me August and September would be great months for Duke fans and would flip the balance of the UNC-Duke rivalry, and the only commit for either school during that time period was UNC signing the #1 frontcourt player in the class of 2011.

Smith is thinking about jumping too.
Europe?
doubtful. I'm sure Ripley's can elaborate if he wants, but apparently Nolan is considering leaving. He's an NBA level athlete and NBA level defender. He's not a terrible shooter (although i'm not sure it translates to the NBA 3 pt line). But yeah, it sounds a bit far fetched. Unless he takes the reigns as a PG this year (and that doesnt appear to be the plan) he's not a first rounder. 6'3 shooting guards that arent proven scorers dont get drafted very high.

That potential Duke Roster would be on right on the same level as the 1999 or 2001 squads. (well, maybe 1/2 a step behind due to inexperience) No, they wouldnt have a back to the basket beast like Boozer or Brand, but the overall depth would be better. They'd also be far more versatile and athletic 1-12.

But of course, we're getting far ahead of our selves here. 2/3 of this dream roster havent played a college game yet.

edit: i still dont get how the 1999 team lost. I know UCONN was very good, but that Duke team was just ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
i still dont get how the 1999 team lost.
You gotta switch big/small pick and rolls. Pretty simple, really. Just that alone would've tipped things in Duke's favor, I think.After the flame-out of the 2005 class, I'm going to remain somewhat skeptical until they actually start producing. How many McD's AA's did Duke have rostered the last couple years?

i still dont get how the 1999 team lost.
You gotta switch big/small pick and rolls. Pretty simple, really. Just that alone would've tipped things in Duke's favor, I think.After the flame-out of the 2005 class, I'm going to remain somewhat skeptical until they actually start producing. How many McD's AA's did Duke have rostered the last couple years?
The "great" 2005 class was overrated from day 1. McRoberts- actually had good freshman and soph seasons. He just got saddled with carrying a team his soph year. He wasnt that type of guy. (even in AAU ball, he always played 2nd fiddle to other star players). He couldn't shoot and had a bad attitude, but he was a good player. Had he stayed till his senior year, he would have been a first team all ACC type of performer. He'll always be looked down on because of what Hansbrough became.Paulus- god bless the kid, but he was still a 6'1 white PG from upstate NY. The kid beat up on inferior competition in both basketball and football (the stories of his failures at the Army AA football game are legendary). His career was obviously a disapointment (despite being 2nd team ACC as a junior)Boateng- ugh. From the first time i saw him touch the ball at the McD's game, i knew he was in trouble. Boykin- was never expected to do much. High energy kid, but very little skillPocius- Other than his world class calves (LOL at Rick Majerus) he never brough much but athleticsm. He had his moments, but was always buried on the bench. Still wish he'd have come back from this year. The failure to develop Thomas and Zoubek is the far greater failure IMO. I saw thomas play in 8th grade along side derrick Character. He was more advanced offensivly back then. Great kid, very good defender, but his total lack of an offensive game is one of life's great mysteries for me.

and i believe Duke had 7 McD's AA's last year...

Paulus

Henderson

Scheyer

Thomas

Nolan

Singler

Williams

and i believe Duke had 7 McD's AA's last year...PaulusHendersonScheyerThomasNolanSinglerWilliams
Even if Paulus was overrated, IMO there's no way that much talent on paper should get run off the court the way they did against Nova. You have to wonder about the coaches, and the value of Duke's assistant coaches.Not to say that I don't think they'll be good next year. But I look at a loaded squad in K's hands much more differently than I do a loaded squad in Roy's hands, or Self's hands. But at least they've gotten an actual PG, I mean if one's a Duke fan that has to be very heartening.

That potential Duke Roster would be on right on the same level as the 1999 or 2001 squads. (well, maybe 1/2 a step behind due to inexperience) No, they wouldnt have a back to the basket beast like Boozer or Brand, but the overall depth would be better. They'd also be far more versatile and athletic 1-12. But of course, we're getting far ahead of our selves here. 2/3 of this dream roster havent played a college game yet.edit: i still dont get how the 1999 team lost. I know UCONN was very good, but that Duke team was just ridiculous.
Coach K was on Vicodin. With two chances to win the game in the waning seconds, he had Langdon bring the ball up instead of Avery. Then there's the fact that Brand, Maggette, and Avery were out until 3 or 4 AM in violation of curfew on Sunday night, walking the beach near STP and talking about how they would spend their millions - - which probably didn't help. There is no way that Nolan Smith will jump to the NBA. Wow. Singler, probably, especially if his coursework is finished, but unless Nolan makes a serious quantum leap this season - - a leap of such a degree that Duke contends for a national title because of him - - he won't be ready. Also, I stood next to him after a game back in February and he's at most an inch taller than me (I'm between 5-11 and 6-0), even in full footwear. The NBA doesn't usually crave players at that height level unless they have SERIOUS PG skills, which Nolan to this point has not shown. He'll be at Duke as a senior.

Might want to hold off on the jokes about Nolan Smith and Europe. If you've watched his game closely, when healthy, he's showed signs of greatness. This summer, K has said he's been as impressive as any Duke player (and the most improved.) Jason Williams recently said he believes he could end the year and All-American. Yes, I realize he hasn't shown a ton yet, but its not hard to imagine him playing well enough this year to be drafted, even if just the 2nd round. Not that I would agree with him leaving if he's only a 2nd round pick, but others have done it (Shav, McRoberts).

And Chris Collins leaked nothing. It was a pathetic last minute sabotage attempt by another school who was recruiting Irving. This is a fact. Irving WILL announce for Duke, and is planning on paying his way to Durham this weekend just to encourage Barnes to join him. They both refer to each other as brothers, and are going to win a national championship at Duke next year. :mellow:

And yes, the PUBLIC verbals might have been pushed back to October/Novemeber TobiasFunke, but nothing has changed in regards to the incredible class Duke is landing in 2010 and 2011. You want to say I have no credibility now because some plans were changed, fine by me. I know enough to know that you for example, aren't willing to bet me on the Duke-UNC games the next several years, because we BOTH know the balance of power has shifted back to Duke.

and i believe Duke had 7 McD's AA's last year...PaulusHendersonScheyerThomasNolanSinglerWilliams
Even if Paulus was overrated, IMO there's no way that much talent on paper should get run off the court the way they did against Nova. You have to wonder about the coaches, and the value of Duke's assistant coaches.
Well, the Villanova game was weird, agreed. But by season's end Paulus' confidence was totally shot and he had no clear role on the team. Thomas has never developed. Scheyer and Henderson combined shot, I believe, about 15% (I don't feel like checking - - please forgive me!). Williams was a freshman and Smith is streaky. Remember, too, that the Burger Boy phenomenon has long been a self-fulfilling prophecy in the wrong direction. In other words, if a guy gets signed by Duke, UNC-CH, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, or several other schools, he's going to be a MCDAA. So honestly, the award means very little anymore.

Even if Paulus was overrated, IMO there's no way that much talent on paper should get run off the court the way they did against Nova.
:thumbup: You've never seen a great team play a poor game? For example, UNC vs Kansas 2 years ago in the Final Four, when they got completely dominated? Or you've never seen an average team play a near perfect game? Say Villanova vs Georgetown?

Might want to hold off on the jokes about Nolan Smith and Europe. If you've watched his game closely, when healthy, he's showed signs of greatness. This summer, K has said he's been as impressive as any Duke player (and the most improved.) Jason Williams recently said he believes he could end the year and All-American. Yes, I realize he hasn't shown a ton yet, but its not hard to imagine him playing well enough this year to be drafted, even if just the 2nd round. Not that I would agree with him leaving if he's only a 2nd round pick, but others have done it (Shav, McRoberts). And Chris Collins leaked nothing. It was a pathetic last minute sabotage attempt by another school who was recruiting Irving. This is a fact. Irving WILL announce for Duke, and is planning on paying his way to Durham this weekend just to encourage Barnes to join him. They both refer to each other as brothers, and are going to win a national championship at Duke next year. :shrug:And yes, the PUBLIC verbals might have been pushed back to October/Novemeber TobiasFunke, but nothing has changed in regards to the incredible class Duke is landing in 2010 and 2011. You want to say I have no credibility now because some plans were changed, fine by me. I know enough to know that you for example, aren't willing to bet me on the Duke-UNC games the next several years, because we BOTH know the balance of power has shifted back to Duke.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand thread over.

That potential Duke Roster would be on right on the same level as the 1999 or 2001 squads. (well, maybe 1/2 a step behind due to inexperience) No, they wouldnt have a back to the basket beast like Boozer or Brand, but the overall depth would be better. They'd also be far more versatile and athletic 1-12. But of course, we're getting far ahead of our selves here. 2/3 of this dream roster havent played a college game yet.edit: i still dont get how the 1999 team lost. I know UCONN was very good, but that Duke team was just ridiculous.
Coach K was on Vicodin. With two chances to win the game in the waning seconds, he had Langdon bring the ball up instead of Avery. Then there's the fact that Brand, Maggette, and Avery were out until 3 or 4 AM in violation of curfew on Sunday night, walking the beach near STP and talking about how they would spend their millions - - which probably didn't help. There is no way that Nolan Smith will jump to the NBA. Wow. Singler, probably, especially if his coursework is finished, but unless Nolan makes a serious quantum leap this season - - a leap of such a degree that Duke contends for a national title because of him - - he won't be ready. Also, I stood next to him after a game back in February and he's at most an inch taller than me (I'm between 5-11 and 6-0), even in full footwear. The NBA doesn't usually crave players at that height level unless they have SERIOUS PG skills, which Nolan to this point has not shown. He'll be at Duke as a senior.
Wow, never heard that about the curfew. That's completely nuts.I'm no Duke insider or anything, but obviously the chances that Smith is NBA material after this year are remote. DX currently has Singler going 18th next year, I have no clue what his feelings are on jumping early, etc.

Frostillicus said:
So posting Duke recruiting news ruins it for ya huh? You really need to stop acting like a little girl. This thread is about college basketball. You don't see anyone else crying because someone posts something about a team someone else doesn't like. :potkettle:

Chi-Mo said:
DX currently has Singler going 18th next year, I have no clue what his feelings are on jumping early, etc.
If Duke doesn't win a national championship this year (possible but they aren't the favorites by any means) then he knows Duke would be as strong of a favorite in 2010 as UNC was coming into last year. There is a real chance he might return in 2010.

Jeter,

Here's the top 5 from ESPN's Encyclopedia for Kentucky

Ralph Beard

Frank Ramsey

Jack Givens

Cliff Hagen

Dan Issel

No one from 1980 forward. No Walker, Bowie, Mashburn, etc

They also did not put Cummings on DePauls top 5. At least they did put Jason Sasser on Texas Tech's top 5. They seemed to lean towards a lot of the older generation players. I haven't looked at all the teams.

Ray McCallum (5 star, #7 PG) is supposedly leaning toward either UCLA or Arizona. UCLA needs this guy badly.

Ray McCallum (5 star, #7 PG) is supposedly leaning toward either UCLA or Arizona. UCLA needs this guy badly.
I've seen him play. Good player with a nice skill set. Can't he go somewhere other than those two places?
He could go to plenty of places, but he's apparently leaning in their direction.His final four (plus 1) are: UCLA, Arizona, Oklahoma and Florida. He's also got Detroit on his list because his dad is the head coach there. He's taken officials to UCLA and Oklahoma and will be taking officials to Arizona and Florida.

I've seen him play. Good player with a nice skill set. Can't he go somewhere other than those two places?
He could go to plenty of places, but he's apparently leaning in their direction.His final four (plus 1) are: UCLA, Arizona, Oklahoma and Florida. He's also got Detroit on his list because his dad is the head coach there. He's taken officials to UCLA and Oklahoma and will be taking officials to Arizona and Florida.
Yup - - he's Ray McCallum, Jr. IIRC. Or maybe dad is the Jr. and he's III. :confused:

Good to see Oklahoma on the list along with Detroit.

Big East Pre-Season Coaches Poll

1. Villanova (10 first place votes)

2. WVU (5)

3. Connecticut (1)

4. Louisville

5. Georgetown

6. Syracuse

7. Cincinnati

8. Notre Dame

9. Pitt

10. Seton Hall

11. St. John's

12. Marquette (oof)

13. Providence

14. USF

15. Rutgers

16. DePaul

BE Pre-season First Team:

Harangody (POY)

Deonta Vaughn

Lazar Hayward

Scottie Reynolds

DeSean Butler

Scottie Reynolds

Pre-season ROY: Lance Stephenson

Yup - - he's Ray McCallum, Jr. IIRC. Or maybe dad is the Jr. and he's III. :yes:

Good to see Oklahoma on the list along with Detroit.
I'm pretty sure he's the Jr.

I don't know if it was posted in the midst of the UNC-Duke banter, but Terrance Jones has cut Kansas from his list.

Jones is down to Oklahoma, Washington, UCLA, Kentucky and Oregon. Oregon and Washington sound like they are the leaders.

PantherPower said:
Chi-Mo said:
Even if Paulus was overrated, IMO there's no way that much talent on paper should get run off the court the way they did against Nova.
:confused: You've never seen a great team play a poor game? For example, UNC vs Kansas 2 years ago in the Final Four, when they got completely dominated? Or you've never seen an average team play a near perfect game? Say Villanova vs Georgetown?
There wasn't a great team on the floor in the Duke-Villanova game. Villanova was really good but hardly great.

Big East Pre-Season Coaches Poll1. Villanova (10 first place votes)2. WVU (5)3. Connecticut (1)4. Louisville5. Georgetown6. Syracuse 7. Cincinnati8. Notre Dame9. Pitt10. Seton Hall11. St. John's12. Marquette (oof)13. Providence 14. USF15. Rutgers16. DePaulBE Pre-season First Team:Harangody (POY)Deonta VaughnLazar HaywardScottie ReynoldsDeSean ButlerScottie ReynoldsPre-season ROY: Lance Stephenson
I need to get in touch with my buddy, Buzz Williams, and find out what he thinks about his Marquette team this year. He had a great start last year, but once James got hurt he had a hard time staying afloat. That and the first part of his Big East schedule was pretty soft. Guess I better give him a call and razz him about that low preseason ranking he got. :confused:

What does everyone honestly think about this year in terms of the overall quality of teams? I've read a handful of preseason mags now and most of them are saying this is a down year in college hoops. Last year, UNC was the cream of the crop because of the talent they returned, but there were some other quality teams such as UCONN. I think it would be surprising, but not an absolute shock, if Kansas didn't win it all. Like one of the magazines said, it's more of a lack of overall talent on the rest of the teams as opposed to Kansas being far superior. There's not even a clear NPOY like Griffin was last year. Thabeet, Griffin, and even to a lesser extent Hansbrough were preseason NPOY nominees. This year I don't see anyone that will be as dominating as Griffin. I'm still looking forward to the season because I'm a hoops junkie, but overall it's a down year. When a team like UNC, which still has a ton of talent, is regarding by many as the the ones to winning the conference title after losing so many to graduation and the pros I think that says a lot.

Frostillicus said:
So posting Duke recruiting news ruins it for ya huh? You really need to stop acting like a little girl. This thread is about college basketball. You don't see anyone else crying because someone posts something about a team someone else doesn't like. :thumbup:
Dude, you ruin every college basketball thread. I'm not the only one who thinks so. In fact, I think you're the only one who doesn't think so. And it's not because of Duke, not even a little bit. It's your posting style and attitude. It's unfathomable to me that someone can be so dense as to assume that everyone else is the problem in a situation like this, and never even have a hint that the problem is them.

What does everyone honestly think about this year in terms of the overall quality of teams? I've read a handful of preseason mags now and most of them are saying this is a down year in college hoops. Last year, UNC was the cream of the crop because of the talent they returned, but there were some other quality teams such as UCONN. I think it would be surprising, but not an absolute shock, if Kansas didn't win it all. Like one of the magazines said, it's more of a lack of overall talent on the rest of the teams as opposed to Kansas being far superior. There's not even a clear NPOY like Griffin was last year. Thabeet, Griffin, and even to a lesser extent Hansbrough were preseason NPOY nominees. This year I don't see anyone that will be as dominating as Griffin. I'm still looking forward to the season because I'm a hoops junkie, but overall it's a down year. When a team like UNC, which still has a ton of talent, is regarding by many as the the ones to winning the conference title after losing so many to graduation and the pros I think that says a lot.
in terms of dominant individual players, there is nobody on the level of Griffin. In fact, in terms of individual talent, its probably the worst in 5 years Wooden Award Winners.....09- griffin08- Beasley07- Durant06- Redick (say what you want about the guy, but he was a tremendous college player)in 05, you get to Bogut, who i think was on the same level as the elite guys this year. If I'm starting a college basketball team, am I taking him over Cole Aldridge? Patrick Patterson? Luke Harangody? Honestly, for me, he's a toss up with all those guys. (if we're just looking at what Bogut did at Utah).If I'm drafting an NBA team, there's plenty of guys that I'd be pretty excited about. Guys like Wall, Favors and Warren are all super talents. (all 3 are future all stars IMO) They'll be a ton of fun to watch this year.

Frostillicus said:
So posting Duke recruiting news ruins it for ya huh? You really need to stop acting like a little girl. This thread is about college basketball. You don't see anyone else crying because someone posts something about a team someone else doesn't like. :goodposting:
Dude, you ruin every college basketball thread. I'm not the only one who thinks so. In fact, I think you're the only one who doesn't think so. And it's not because of Duke, not even a little bit. It's your posting style and attitude. It's unfathomable to me that someone can be so dense as to assume that everyone else is the problem in a situation like this, and never even have a hint that the problem is them.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with all the anti Duke crap that is posted does it? And again, if you don't like my postings, feel free to go elsewhere. Otherwise, suck it up, and quit crying about it.

If I'm drafting an NBA team, there's plenty of guys that I'd be pretty excited about. Guys like Wall, Favors and Warren are all super talents. (all 3 are future all stars IMO) They'll be a ton of fun to watch this year.
Wall is gonna be a lot of fun to watch. And if Favors could walk on water, he'd still probably make Tech no better than a #7 seed in the tournament. Of course, after years of missing the NIT, that would still be a fantastic year for them.

The Big East and SEC are down, the Big 10 and Big 12 are up, and I think the ACC and Pac 10 are about the same. Memphis will be worse and probably Gonzaga too. The A-10 is up, but the Mountain West is down, and I don't think there's a smaller mid-major who will be on the level of either the Missouri Valley or Colonial from a few years ago. Yeah, now that I put it that way I can see where the overall talent might seem down.

Frostillicus said:
So posting Duke recruiting news ruins it for ya huh? You really need to stop acting like a little girl. This thread is about college basketball. You don't see anyone else crying because someone posts something about a team someone else doesn't like. :goodposting:
Yeah, it has nothing to do with all the anti Duke crap that is posted does it? And again, if you don't like my postings, feel free to go elsewhere. Otherwise, suck it up, and quit crying about it.
You realize an entire thread was created with a misleading title and people did everything they could to not actually type the words "Duke" or "Ripleys" in order to make sure you couldn't find it, right?

I read an article on Yahoo the other day about Patrick Patterson. I've always liked him as a player, but after reading that article he's one of my favorite players not wearing a UNC uniform. He is one classy dude. I don't have the link, but if you look on Yahoo I'm sure you can find the article. I think it was a day before Midnight Madness. I wish more college kids were like him.

yep, and that sounds like something middle school kids would do.
Exactly my point. It couldn't possibly be you.
And your posts crying about me are right on topic and add a TON to this thread. They really do. :unsure:
Good point; why don't you both cut it out? :brush: Although I will say that the joke about Ga Tech seemed out of line (if pretty much accurate - - I detest Paul Hewitt). Still out of line.

Good point; why don't you both cut it out? :unsure: Although I will say that the joke about Ga Tech seemed out of line (if pretty much accurate - - I detest Paul Hewitt). Still out of line.
I see why you said that, but Rambling Wreck has trashed Duke in about 20 different threads here over the last 2 years. So let's just say there is a history. I can get the talk from UNC fans, Kentucky fans, they have elite programs too. They can make logical arguments why they think their teams might be better. But GT? :brush: 'nuff Said! :)

Users who are viewing this thread