What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** Official KTCK/1310 AM "The Ticket" Thread ***** (1 Viewer)

I still think the little Ticket would like a redo on this one. Good to see someone doing better than good outside the mothership.

Back to sports after this short break for your weekly breaking radio news:Richard “Big ****” Hunter, host of the always innovative and usually intoxicating Wild ### Circus on Live 105.3, is going big time. I mean, BIG time. How large?An industry source whispered to me last night that none other than radio icon and Weekly Top 40 poobah Rick Dees was trying to sign Hunter for national syndication. One call to Hollywood this morning and sure enough: Done deal.“We think Richard Hunter is the next voice of a generation, like Rush or Hannity,” says Dees Director of Sales and Marketing Josh Cooperman, who, by the way, cut his radio teeth a decade or so ago on Dallas’ 99.5 KPLX. “The guy’s range is amazing. He can talk everything from politics to mixed martial arts with expertise and passion, and that’s a rarity. He’s got a phenomenal Rolodex and he’s an amazing talent.”Other than Hunter’s amplified fame and fortune, what it means isn’t exactly clear yet.Right now – in the wake of Pugs & Kelly’s departure – Hunter is filling in middays on Live 105.3. But from the outset that’s been a temporary arrangement. I keep hearing that the station is leaning toward a sports-heavy show from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and that Greg Williams and Mike Fisher are still on the verge of a tryout. But the fact it hasn’t happened yet makes you start to wonder, eh?As for Hunter, he’ll be heard on tons of stations across the country. Live 105.3 would be a fool to not be one of them. -- Richie Whitt

I still think the little Ticket would like a redo on this one. Good to see someone doing better than good outside the mothership.

Back to sports after this short break for your weekly breaking radio news:Richard “Big ****” Hunter, host of the always innovative and usually intoxicating Wild ### Circus on Live 105.3, is going big time. I mean, BIG time. How large?An industry source whispered to me last night that none other than radio icon and Weekly Top 40 poobah Rick Dees was trying to sign Hunter for national syndication. One call to Hollywood this morning and sure enough: Done deal.“We think Richard Hunter is the next voice of a generation, like Rush or Hannity,” says Dees Director of Sales and Marketing Josh Cooperman, who, by the way, cut his radio teeth a decade or so ago on Dallas’ 99.5 KPLX. “The guy’s range is amazing. He can talk everything from politics to mixed martial arts with expertise and passion, and that’s a rarity. He’s got a phenomenal Rolodex and he’s an amazing talent.”Other than Hunter’s amplified fame and fortune, what it means isn’t exactly clear yet.Right now – in the wake of Pugs & Kelly’s departure – Hunter is filling in middays on Live 105.3. But from the outset that’s been a temporary arrangement. I keep hearing that the station is leaning toward a sports-heavy show from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and that Greg Williams and Mike Fisher are still on the verge of a tryout. But the fact it hasn’t happened yet makes you start to wonder, eh?As for Hunter, he’ll be heard on tons of stations across the country. Live 105.3 would be a fool to not be one of them. -- Richie Whitt
I don't really think so. He was never going to get a mid-day slot and they couldn't pay him what he wanted for pre-empted overnights. I spent a lot of time listening to his show for a few years. When he basically just said it was a no-sports show it was just a matter of time. He's got talent. If anything I could see him eating up Tom Licus' market. That dude is worthless now.

Holy crap!! The new mid-day guys at 105.3, not Hammer and Fish, are Ben and Skin.

Bob and Dan vs. Ben and Skin. Delicious.Another radio industry source tells me just now that Live 105.3 is indeed shifting its midday focus toward sports and former Ticket hosts.But instead of Greg Williams and Mike Fisher, Ben & Skin have landed the gig. -- Richie Whitt

I can't say that I love or hate Ben and Skin, but I do think they are exactly the kind of show that could succeed on 105.3. They always seemed a bit second class on the Ticket when it comes to sports knowledge (except NBA), but on 105.3 they will be the obvious sports authorities. You build your show around talking Cowboys after games, Mavs/Stars/Rangers during when casual fans are interested (playoffs, early season) and then the rest of the time its movies, hip hop and pop culture.I really doubt they take any listeners away from BAD radio, and Mike Irvin, but they will probably do a good job keeping listeners from Jagger and leading into ######## Martin. I will tune in when I can get AM in the office and the iPod is dead.

I’ve always loved, er, at least really liked Ben & Skin. The dudes are fast, funny, fresh, friendly, finicky and, best of all, freaky fans of friggin’ alliteration.But in the ramp-up to them taking over middays 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on Live 105.3 Aug. 25, I, too, share some concerns:*Can a sports show survive/thrive going up against The Ticket’s BaD Radio and ESPN’s Michael Irvin?*In a daily climate, will their quick-witted, rapid-fire, head-spinning exchanges blossom into a unique and refreshing alternative, or deteriorate into one giant failed bit?Beats me. So I asked them.Meet Ben "Ben" Rogers, the long-time TV sales guy who just last December left KTVT Channel 11 for Univision only to pull the plug and bet it all on radio.“I’d say by the end of the week our shows will be only 25 percent sports,” Rogers told me this morning.Meet Jeff "Skin" Wade, the funky of the duo with a film degree and a side project producing instrumental music riffs used on American Idol and ESPN.“We’re movie nerds and music fans and we’re not going to do back-to-back-to-back segments about sports,” he told me right after Rogers told me that other stuff. “You’ll hear a lot of topics, not including a dissection of why that suicide squeeze didn’t work.”I know Ben & Skin can produce an alluring potpourri of comedic radio. But what’s the one thing that will separate their new show from the sportsy stuff we’re hearing now?“We’ll do ours totally in Spanish,” says Rogers.He's joking. I think. -- Richie Whitt

I'd rather listen to Wilonsky drone on about movies he hates for 3 hours a day.
Funny, Ben & Skin featuring Willonsky on e-news sounds like a great show to me.
They highly overrate moustache shtick and to my untrained ears are a complete and utter beating.
:unsure: I listen when they fill in. I think they're pretty funny. I think they'll fail miserably going against BaD radio and Irvin, though.

I'd rather listen to Wilonsky drone on about movies he hates for 3 hours a day.
Funny, Ben & Skin featuring Willonsky on e-news sounds like a great show to me.
They highly overrate moustache shtick and to my untrained ears are a complete and utter beating.
:tumbleweed: I listen when they fill in. I think they're pretty funny. I think they'll fail miserably going against BaD radio and Irvin, though.
They have their moments. Their crosstalk with Danny and Davy is golden.

I am not quite sure why, but this makes me very happy. I could see my evenings becoming very radio intensive with Greggo 7-10, then BDH 10-12 over on 105.3. Sidebar, I have listened to as much Ben and Skin as I can in and out of lunch, and really like where they are going. Will be curious to see if they can keep it up.

The longest-running, worst-kept secret (ahem, welcome to the party mainstream media) in local radio finally has replaced its question mark with a period as former Ticket co-host Greg Williams has officially landed a show on ESPN Radio.Williams confirmed to me late last night what I’ve speculated about for months in various incarnations -- that he will host a 7-10 p.m. show weeknights on 103.3 FM beginning Monday, Sept. 8. The nightly program, co-hosted by RJ Choppy, will simply be called “The Show.”“I know this sounds cliché, but I’m just happy to be back on the air,” Williams says. “I’m happy to get another opportunity. Now it’s up to me.”Williams, who settled on a one-year contract and about a – gulp – $400,000 pay cut from his peak at The Ticket, made a dry run with Choppy yesterday afternoon in Arlington and will have two more off-air “preseason games” before diving into – we assume – heavy Cowboys talk following Dallas’ season opener on Sept. 8. In the meantime, Williams will pop on ESPN’s Cowboys pre-game show tomorrow night and make cameos on Randy Galloway’s show the next two Friday afternoons.There are also plans to incorporate Williams on ESPN’s Cowboys post-game shows throughout the season.I know Williams snorted and lied his way out of a pristine job at The Ticket. Though his co-workers and management treated him callously on the way down, he forfeited his right to keep that gig. But it’s good to see him get a second chance.It’ll be interesting to hear if he can re-kindle what once was one of the Metroplex’s most unique and entertaining radio voices. -- Richie Whitt

I'd like to wish him luck, but he used all that up long ago. He's pretty much a hack with no insight. I think I'd listen to the Tejano station before I'd tune in to anything on ESPN, especially Greggo.

I wish Cooperstein would get a show of his own again. That guy's good. Could he fill Norm's sporty-sport slot when Norm finally dies at the mic?

Big Bob Wilonsky doing a music/movie show on the Ticket tonight. 11pm to 2am.

I'm tuning in to see if it's terrrrrrible.

Big Bob Wilonsky doing a music/movie show on the Ticket tonight. 11pm to 2am.I'm tuning in to see if it's terrrrrrible.
I listened for about 2 of the 3 hours. Personally, I loved it. It was all music tonight, and he played some great things. Anything from Miles Davis, track from Oceans 12, Toadies covering Talking Heads and a Kelly Clarkson/Eagles mashup that I had not heard.I hope its not the only time this show airs.

A couple of random thoughts

Why do they air the DAILY press conferences

Why do the cowboys have daily PC's

Caught a little of Greggo on ESPN's postgame last night - Coach Joe makes it unlistenable

Listening to Greggo right now. RJ Choppy is horrible, not the right guy for the combo. He does sound a bit like Coop.

Listening to Greggo right now. RJ Choppy is horrible, not the right guy for the combo. He does sound a bit like Coop.
They played the old LedZep outro. May me kinda giggle inside.The show overall needs a LOT of help, but you have to give them some time to get their feet under them.

I can't take the first 4-5 weeks of football from the hardline. Mike is so focused on beisbol that he doesn't even watch the games. Gotta watch that crucial d-backs matinee. :thumbup: By the time the playoffs start he seems to quit caring as much plus the games don't conflict with football.

Musers do about one baseball segment every 2-3 days and it's clear they are just reading the box scores now like the rest of us.

I've checked out Hammer's show a few times. For the most part a total :tfp: . Too many people talking over eachother still amongst many other chemistry issues.

Ok and how did pugs and kelly get a show on 933? Didn't they draw a 0.05 on 1053?

Sidebar. Anyone actually install or use HD radio?

I'm loving the revival of "Fat Joe Left Atlantic". I almost pulled the stunt during the birth of my child last week.

Would it be overkill to start a Dallas Stars AND Dallas Mavericks thread? Better to start a combo thread? Best to just talk about the non-Cowboy teams here in this thread?

My buddy won the Tradio. Traded in his Tahoe. :thumbup:
Did he describe it as a "hard to find two door"? I heard a mix of tradio offers on the way in this morning and I lol'd when I heard some dude said he had a hard to find two door Tahoe. Of course I would take it over the goober that offered a 80 gig Ipod. Like a previous poster said, those seats must be terrrrrribbbbbbbblllle.

So was yesterday's segment about Rhyner's escapades at Adair's confirmation of his divorce?

Certainly a married man wouldn't be double-fisting (drinks and women) like that unless he had gained some form of freedom.

So was yesterday's segment about Rhyner's escapades at Adair's confirmation of his divorce?Certainly a married man wouldn't be double-fisting (drinks and women) like that unless he had gained some form of freedom.
Who the hell knows. Back in end of mavs timeframe he was talking about doing crap with his wife and being fairly open about it. I figured case closed. Now I dunno. Perhaps they got back together for a bit and now are split for good? One thing that warrants mentioning is that Gordon has a house pretty close to mine. He hasn't been there in well over 9 months, but left all his crap strewn about the yard and porches. Very strange. Never has had a for sale sign or anything.

So was yesterday's segment about Rhyner's escapades at Adair's confirmation of his divorce?Certainly a married man wouldn't be double-fisting (drinks and women) like that unless he had gained some form of freedom.
Who the hell knows. Back in end of mavs timeframe he was talking about doing crap with his wife and being fairly open about it. I figured case closed. Now I dunno. Perhaps they got back together for a bit and now are split for good? One thing that warrants mentioning is that Gordon has a house pretty close to mine. He hasn't been there in well over 9 months, but left all his crap strewn about the yard and porches. Very strange. Never has had a for sale sign or anything.
I wonder if he says things about the wife just to throw off the scent, but what he gain by doing that

Anybody else still watching Gordo's show? IMO it's gotten a lot better since they dropped the generic low-budget studio portion. Much more "man on the street" stuff now, which is his wheelhouse. :lmao:

The exit polling last week had some good funny...

"What do you hate about Obama... other than the fact that he's black?"

"I'd like to make love to you precancer."

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread