What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Longevity Thread** (1 Viewer)

Plant-based diet is not the same thing as vegan or vegetarian.

The concept is: Most calories come from veggies. That's it.

You can have a sausage pizza today, and a steak next week, and still be eating a plant-based diet.

Yeah, and this could be a good thread if we don’t have these arguments. Eliminate sugar and complex carbs - those two things alone are much bigger issues than whether somebody eats some animal protein or is vegan.

ETA - I’m a moron - meant processed carbs and not complex carbs.
While I don't think we should ignore diet in the longevity equation, clearly it's a polarizing topic, with a lot of conflicting messaging based on imperfect data.

What about supplements? I know taurine has a thread somewhere, and there will likely be a study with metformin, if it gets funding. One of the longevity book authors takes NMN. I've been told there's a black market for off-label rapamycin as well.

Anyone take stuff purported to extend lifespan?
I read Lifespan (the David Sinclair one) and got very intrigued. Even if he's 20% correct, it's pretty exciting about the science and potential therapeutic interventions.

I have been taking NMN daily. I did notice a positive benefit on energy, but it leveled off pretty quickly. I buy from Amazon and the suppliers of NMN go in and out of stock a lot. I switched to a version that had NMN plus reservatol. Over a few weeks, I started having GI issues. After a month of that, I was start to wonder if I had colon cancer or something. Anyway, I had a lightbulb moment that GI issues started might be related. I quit taking any of that and my stools are happy again. I hope that doesn't cut my life expectancy.

On his other recommendations (calorie restrictions, cold therapy, fasting sessions, other supplements, exercise, mostly plant diet, cutting sugar/sweets), I haven't adopted much outside of cutting red meat down a lot. In my own foray into longevity studies years ago, it seemed like every epidemiological study supported the basics of "don't be fat and exercise regularly". So I stick with that. I ought to do more, but I don't sweat it nowadays.
Yeah, Sinclair is the most bullish of the authors concerning what the future holds for human longevity. Arguably, he’s also the most qualified to describe the state of the science.

He believes there will be meaningful breakthroughs to promote longevity within our lifetimes, including extending our biologic age limit up to ~150. He also takes NMN, resveratrol, and acknowledges the value of protein restriction, in contrast to Attia (He takes low dose rapamycin IIRC, plus B vitamins, D, fish oil, aspirin, probiotics and protein powder).

His research has been criticized though, and he has financial stake in the supplements he advocates.

Potential for secondary gain aside, I hope at least a few of his predictions come to fruition. If some of what he says is truly around the corner, we all ought to do everything in our power to stick around as long as possible.

On the other hand, there are many potential issues with an even bigger aging population. Not sure our country, or the planet can handle it.
In my journey through the cardiologist world, they all said to stop taking fish oil. 🤷‍♂️
Fish oil might not be all its cracked up to be

Not only was the best study Pharma-funded, they may have used a harmful placebo - mineral oil appears to be a nocebo, making fish oil look better than reality. Plus, issues with supplement purity, common in the poorly regulated nutraceutical world, may apply.

I talked about it in another thread, but the ratio of omega 3:6 appears to be the important factor. Lowering omega 6s, through eating less animal products (trigger alert!) is probably a better way to attain CV risk reduction, than adding fishy omega 3s.
Hi Term, curious if you view getting the omega 3 through actually eating fish, salmon, sardines, etc. the same as taking who knows what through a fish oil supplement? I had just listened to the topic with Rhonda Patrick and she was touting that this may be the most beneficial thing you can do for yourself. It’s crazy and frustrating the variance of opinions on nutrition…
Don’t know a lot about it specifically, though in general, there’s reason to try to get as many nutrients as possible from minimally processed, whole foods.

In doing so, you get a milieu of vitamins, minerals, micro- and macronutrients; sometimes they interact in ways which make the nutritional sum greater than its parts. And it tastes good.

The other thing I mentioned before is the omega 6:3 fatty acid ratio. Theoretically, the optimal ratio is 4:1; while the standard American diet is 10-20:1. Increasing omega 3’s lowers the ratio, but the same can be accomplished by lowering omega 6 intake.

It’s more complicated than that though, as there are subsets of both omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and some are healthier than others.

All this ignores general issues with assuring supplement content/purity, as well as ethical/environmental concerns related to fish consumption.

So you can probably understand why the messaging can be confusing, and seemingly inconsistent. But without convincing data supporting any specific supplement, I’d err on the side of getting nutrients from food.
Thanks for the detailed response. Confusing indeed. I consume a real low amount of PUFA, which I believe is the unhealthy one, but eat a bunch of MUFA, as I follow mostly the Mediterranean diet type. I get fish that is MSC certified (if that really means anything) and the supplements I do take have 3rd party testing results posted. (Again, if that means anything) I also try to source out fruits from stores that don’t use apeel coating. I fear the food system isn’t that much better than the supplement industry, but we need to eat something so just trying to do the best I can with all the information out there.

Looked it up. Looks pretty sus.

Any more specifics than just that it looks "sus"?

I don't think anyone is suggesting this kind of thing is a replacement for a healthy diet or exercise.
The website is seemingly informercial-inspired, littered with meaningless pop-science buzzwords, testimonials, and repeated celebrity endorsements from Tony Robbins - not exactly who I’d seek for medical advice. There’s also a bunch of non-evidence based blood testing, supplements, ED and hormonal therapies, as well as semaglutide, all slickly packaged with their brand.

Too much marketing, too little science for my taste. FTR, I feel the same way about almost all dedicated “low T”, and commercialized men’s and women’s health clinics.

I know these types of “practices” are cash cows for physicians who choose to monetize their credentials. I just spoke to one of my ER trained friends, who said some of his peers are choosing this pathway, rather than remaining in the hospital. They end up rubber stamping their name on prescriptions for testosterone, thyroid supplements, growth hormone, Ozempic, etc., with little more than a 5 minute virtual consultation. The work is monotonous, and plays upon people’s insecurities, but lucrative: he quoted a rate of $600/hr, which is a lot more than can be made working in an actual healthcare setting.

I think you must be looking at a different post. The post I quoted was https://x.com/seanpk/status/1759982415412592688?s=20

Guy lists 10 things he monitors. For some he mentions the site where he does the test. But his post had nothing to do with Tony Robbins or slickly packaged brands.

I get not liking Tony Robbins but I don't see a lot of a cash cow stuff here. Or playing on insecurities.

His first post was:

DISCLAIMER:- I'm not a doctor and this thread isn't medical advice- Please consult your primary care physician prior to taking any testsI recommend this protocol to my family & friends because I would be crushed if they died too early from a preventable health condition.

First test was
1. Blood Test for Cardiovascular Health + ALTThere are at least 3 key biomarkers you need to track here.1. a) Lipoprotein : This one's a genetic marker.High levels impact 10% of us and you only need to test it once. If it's high, it's a heads-up for increased CVD risk.

A few that caught my eye:

3. Alzheimers Risk
Understanding our genetic makeup can guide us in preventing or delaying diseases before they manifest.
APOE Genotype Test: This genetic test reveals your risk for Alzheimer's, empowering you with knowledge for early prevention strategies. ~$79 w/ 23andMe.

or
4. Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (w/ insulin)
Here you want to see how effective your body is at moving glucose out of your blood over time + post-prandial insulin levels.The test is a bit of a nuisance (4 blood draws over 2 hrs + drink gross liquid) but worth it at <$100

or
Cancer Screening - There are 3-4 key tests here.
6. Colonoscopy: Officially, 45's the age to start. But why wait when early detection is key? Got mine at 40 & discovered a gluten sensitivity that changed my life (unexpected side benefit).Often covered by insurance (or ~$2K).

or
Physical Fitness & Body Composition
9. VO2 Max Test: The true test of cardiovascular health - shows the maximal oxygen you can use during exercise.Some believe this test is the best predictor of longevity.Aim to be in the top quartile for your age group. Costs <$100

or
Finally, there are a few key physical exercises to test your overall strength.
Strength Tests- Dead Hang- Wall Sit- Farmer’s Carry (bodyweight)
Hitting 2 minutes on each test puts you in the elite category.

Things like getting a colonoscopy a few years earlier than recommended seemed like maybe a good idea. :shrug:

I'll ask some other people. Thanks.

Plant based diet - Yeah, not gonna happen doc. I do like lettuce and tomato on my burger though.

Many experts are now saying plant based diets are too low in protein.
which experts? It is very easy to get all the protein you need from plant based diets.
I disagree that it’s very easy.

Check out Peter Attia.
I have been a Vegan for about 6 years now. I once thought it was difficult to get enough protein. Now that I am intentional about protein intake and make it a priority, it’s easy. I try not to have any wasted calories. If I’m consuming food, I try and make sure the ratio is one gram of protein per 10 calories. On days when I run and workout, I easily get 150-250 grams of protein a day. I weigh about 180 and have added significant muscle over the past year since I’ve been intentional about protein intake. Just like everything else in this world, if you make it a priority, you can accomplish it.

Awesome. What foods do you normally eat for protein?
There’s a pretty good Vegan protein shake made by OWN with 32 grams of protein in it. I always have one after a workout and possibly two if I do a run over 5 miles. I also found these really amazing bagels by Better Brand. They have 26 grams of protein and are only 170 calories. I do two of those every night with my salad. My dinner usually consists of a large salad with a bag of microgreens mixed in. Olive oil as my dressing. I also throw in two pieces of “chicken” (made from mushroom root) into the salad. They contain 20 grams of protein each. I’ll attach a link for the Better Brand Bagels. They have a huge variety now, taste decent, and have a pretty clean nutrition label.

Thanks. Are they $25.50 for 8 bagels in the store? https://eatbetter.com/products/the-better-bagel?variant=41581389349069

And I'm not familiar with the "chicken" made from mushroom root. Is there a brand you like there?
What are the bagels made out of? I couldn’t find it easily on the website. I tend to stay away from replica plant based foods because they tend to have a zillion ingredients. Most of which I’m unfamiliar with.

If I’m going to eat veggie, I just eat vegetables. I don’t need fake chicken. I’ve never understood the desire to recreate meatlike food with veggies. Complete with “blood”. Just seems so counter intuitive
Let me help you. I know a hamburger is delicious. I know the life the cow lives in a factory farm, the environmental affect of raising animals for meat and I know that red meat is linked to cancer.

I would very much enjoy to have the taste of that hamburger without the death to everything that touches paths with the piece of cow flesh on my plate.
I understand avoiding “fake meat” because it tends to be heavily processed and laden with sodium. But avoiding the more healthy, ethical alternatives to actual animal products on principle seems stubborn, at best.

It’s just like willingness to try any new food imo. Maybe it won’t give the identical experience to an actual burger, but sometimes different is good, too. Are faux meat avoiders open to trying other novel foods?

I feel like there's a Chris Hemsworth-sized hole in this thread wrt fasting, cold plunges, saunas, meditating, etc

Yes. Those topics seem to be at the very top of every conversation I see on this lately.

I feel like the last guy I know that hasn't installed a cold plunge / sauna at my house. :lmao:

Both seem super interesting.

Beyond/Impossible burger is in no way more healthy than a ground beef burger. And it smells like *** when it's being cooked.

Looked it up. Looks pretty sus.

Any more specifics than just that it looks "sus"?

I don't think anyone is suggesting this kind of thing is a replacement for a healthy diet or exercise.
The website is seemingly informercial-inspired, littered with meaningless pop-science buzzwords, testimonials, and repeated celebrity endorsements from Tony Robbins - not exactly who I’d seek for medical advice. There’s also a bunch of non-evidence based blood testing, supplements, ED and hormonal therapies, as well as semaglutide, all slickly packaged with their brand.

Too much marketing, too little science for my taste. FTR, I feel the same way about almost all dedicated “low T”, and commercialized men’s and women’s health clinics.

I know these types of “practices” are cash cows for physicians who choose to monetize their credentials. I just spoke to one of my ER trained friends, who said some of his peers are choosing this pathway, rather than remaining in the hospital. They end up rubber stamping their name on prescriptions for testosterone, thyroid supplements, growth hormone, Ozempic, etc., with little more than a 5 minute virtual consultation. The work is monotonous, and plays upon people’s insecurities, but lucrative: he quoted a rate of $600/hr, which is a lot more than can be made working in an actual healthcare setting.

I think you must be looking at a different post. The post I quoted was https://x.com/seanpk/status/1759982415412592688?s=20

Guy lists 10 things he monitors. For some he mentions the site where he does the test. But his post had nothing to do with Tony Robbins or slickly packaged brands.

I get not liking Tony Robbins but I don't see a lot of a cash cow stuff here. Or playing on insecurities.

His first post was:

DISCLAIMER:- I'm not a doctor and this thread isn't medical advice- Please consult your primary care physician prior to taking any testsI recommend this protocol to my family & friends because I would be crushed if they died too early from a preventable health condition.

First test was
1. Blood Test for Cardiovascular Health + ALTThere are at least 3 key biomarkers you need to track here.1. a) Lipoprotein : This one's a genetic marker.High levels impact 10% of us and you only need to test it once. If it's high, it's a heads-up for increased CVD risk.

A few that caught my eye:

3. Alzheimers Risk
Understanding our genetic makeup can guide us in preventing or delaying diseases before they manifest.
APOE Genotype Test: This genetic test reveals your risk for Alzheimer's, empowering you with knowledge for early prevention strategies. ~$79 w/ 23andMe.

or
4. Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (w/ insulin)
Here you want to see how effective your body is at moving glucose out of your blood over time + post-prandial insulin levels.The test is a bit of a nuisance (4 blood draws over 2 hrs + drink gross liquid) but worth it at <$100

or
Cancer Screening - There are 3-4 key tests here.
6. Colonoscopy: Officially, 45's the age to start. But why wait when early detection is key? Got mine at 40 & discovered a gluten sensitivity that changed my life (unexpected side benefit).Often covered by insurance (or ~$2K).

or
Physical Fitness & Body Composition
9. VO2 Max Test: The true test of cardiovascular health - shows the maximal oxygen you can use during exercise.Some believe this test is the best predictor of longevity.Aim to be in the top quartile for your age group. Costs <$100

or
Finally, there are a few key physical exercises to test your overall strength.
Strength Tests- Dead Hang- Wall Sit- Farmer’s Carry (bodyweight)
Hitting 2 minutes on each test puts you in the elite category.

Things like getting a colonoscopy a few years earlier than recommended seemed like maybe a good idea. :shrug:

I'll ask some other people. Thanks.
I looked directly at the website where he sends his blood tests.

But to address one of the hypotheticals from the Twitter guy (‘why not?’), there are many reasons to avoid unnecessary testing. There are downstream consequences for working up “incidentalomas”, including unnecessary procedures, with inherent risks. Plus, they take time and money, and can be stress-inducing, or falsely reassuring.

People tend to underestimate the potential for harm from extra testing, but there is a body of literature suggesting “VIP care” leads to worse outcomes.

That’s not to say all those tests are bunk; some may actually be helpful. And it’s possible these clinics are ahead of the curve. Alternatively, they may be taking advantage of vulnerable consumers, proverbial snake oil salesmen.

Without more convinciing proof of tangible benefit, I’d stick with evidence based stuff.

Last edited:
Except it doesn’t taste like meat. One of these opened near me. We gave a whirl a few times. the attempt was amazing. Fake beet blood and all. The results In regards to flavor. Not so much. The fake cheese was vile. They had plant based ruebens,, chicken, burgers etc. the tempeh chicken sandwich was decent. the location near me folded after about 2 years.

The fake blood was what I found fascinating. I can easily understand why someone would want to avoid eating meat. Or wearing leather shoes. Or things involving animals.

But the fake blood was fascinating.

Plant based diet - Yeah, not gonna happen doc. I do like lettuce and tomato on my burger though.

which experts? It is very easy to get all the protein you need from plant based diets.

Check out Peter Attia.
I have been a Vegan for about 6 years now. I once thought it was difficult to get enough protein. Now that I am intentional about protein intake and make it a priority, it’s easy. I try not to have any wasted calories. If I’m consuming food, I try and make sure the ratio is one gram of protein per 10 calories. On days when I run and workout, I easily get 150-250 grams of protein a day. I weigh about 180 and have added significant muscle over the past year since I’ve been intentional about protein intake. Just like everything else in this world, if you make it a priority, you can accomplish it.

There’s a pretty good Vegan protein shake made by OWN with 32 grams of protein in it. I always have one after a workout and possibly two if I do a run over 5 miles. I also found these really amazing bagels by Better Brand. They have 26 grams of protein and are only 170 calories. I do two of those every night with my salad. My dinner usually consists of a large salad with a bag of microgreens mixed in. Olive oil as my dressing. I also throw in two pieces of “chicken” (made from mushroom root) into the salad. They contain 20 grams of protein each. I’ll attach a link for the Better Brand Bagels. They have a huge variety now, taste decent, and have a pretty clean nutrition label.

Thanks. Are they $25.50 for 8 bagels in the store? https://eatbetter.com/products/the-better-bagel?variant=41581389349069

And I'm not familiar with the "chicken" made from mushroom root. Is there a brand you like there?
What are the bagels made out of? I couldn’t find it easily on the website. I tend to stay away from replica plant based foods because they tend to have a zillion ingredients. Most of which I’m unfamiliar with.

If I’m going to eat veggie, I just eat vegetables. I don’t need fake chicken. I’ve never understood the desire to recreate meatlike food with veggies. Complete with “blood”. Just seems so counter intuitive
Let me help you. I know a hamburger is delicious. I know the life the cow lives in a factory farm, the environmental affect of raising animals for meat and I know that red meat is linked to cancer.

I would very much enjoy to have the taste of that hamburger without the death to everything that touches paths with the piece of cow flesh on my plate.
I understand avoiding “fake meat” because it tends to be heavily processed and laden with sodium. But avoiding the more healthy, ethical alternatives to actual animal products on principle seems stubborn, at best.

It’s just like willingness to try any new food imo. Maybe it won’t give the identical experience to an actual burger, but sometimes different is good, too. Are faux meat avoiders open to trying other novel foods?
For the record, I am not an alternative meat avoider. It’s probably the majority of what I consume. I originally went Vegan because I thought it was better for my health. I stayed Vegan because I went down a rabbit hole of how animals are treated and used for food. I made a decision to never going back to consuming animals. I don’t really care what’s in my food, as long as it doesn’t come from animals. Basically I think animals lives are more important than my taste buds. I understand that statement is open for all sorts of debate, but that’s just how I feel about it. To each their own.

Check out Peter Attia.

For the record, I am not an alternative meat avoider. It’s probably the majority of what I consume. I originally went Vegan because I thought it was better for my health. I stayed Vegan because I went down a rabbit hole of how animals are treated and used for food. I made a decision to never going back to consuming animals. I don’t really care what’s in my food, as long as it doesn’t come from animals. Basically I think animals lives are more important than my taste buds. I understand that statement is open for all sorts of debate, but that’s just how I feel about it. To each their own.
Funny, I reduced animal consumption for ethical reasons, but kept with it for the health benefits.

Have drawn an arbitrary line with eating fish, though I believe I’m being hypocritical in doing so. My wife is much closer to veganism, and excluding travel, I eat ~95% plants.

But if you really want to eat as ethically as possible, look into freeganism.

Except it doesn’t taste like meat. One of these opened near me. We gave a whirl a few times. the attempt was amazing. Fake beet blood and all. The results In regards to flavor. Not so much. The fake cheese was vile. They had plant based ruebens,, chicken, burgers etc. the tempeh chicken sandwich was decent. the location near me folded after about 2 years.

The fake blood was what I found fascinating. I can easily understand why someone would want to avoid eating meat. Or wearing leather shoes. Or things involving animals.

But the fake blood was fascinating.
Yeah, I’m not into fake blood, but it makes sense if you’re trying to replicate the meat-eating experience. No different than food coloring, though I’d rather eat beets than beetles (source of one of the red dyes in some foods).

Some consumers will go for duplicating meat. Personally, I think a better strategy is making a delicious plant burger, period, without worrying about meatiness. The best ones are taro, black bean or mixed veggies, rather than processed food science experiments, imo.

Check out Peter Attia.

I’m not avoiding it. I just don’t get the vegan that wants his tempeh burger to bleed. And the wife and I gave that native foods a few attempts. It just wasn’t very good. Vegan 1000 island dressing etc was just nasty.

I'm 49. I want to live till 82. I plan on being completely retired at 52. 30 years of working full time and 30 years of living without work. It's math. 30 for 30.

Check out Peter Attia.

I’m not avoiding it. I just don’t get the vegan that wants his tempeh burger to bleed. And the wife and I gave that native foods a few attempts. It just wasn’t very good. Vegan 1000 island dressing etc was just nasty.
I think @JShare87 explained it well - if one likes beef burgers, but chooses not to eat them for whatever justification, they may want as close an approximation as possible. And the appearance of blood may factor into that, perhaps even subconsciously.

That said, I don’t think any vegans are campaigning for more fake blood - thats a food science construct.

Most people want stuff that tastes good, first and foremost. Admittedly, a lot of the vegan fare doesn’t. I was just objecting to the idea of wholesale rejection of novel foods because they are “fake”.

Last edited:
Things like getting a colonoscopy a few years earlier than recommended seemed like maybe a good idea.

I think I asked this in one of our health threads around here - doesn’t make sense to me why if early detection can be so critical to surviving some health issues that we don’t scan earlier and more often than we do now. Just a general observation- I understand there’s cost and availability concerns.

Check out Peter Attia.

I think @JShare87 explained it well - if one likes beef burgers, but chooses not to eat them for whatever justification, they may want as close an approximation as possible. And the appearance of blood may factor into that, perhaps even subconsciously.

That said, I don’t think any vegans are campaigning for more fake blood - thats a food science construct.

Most people want stuff that tastes good, first and foremost. Admittedly, a lot of the vegan fare doesn’t. I was just objecting to the idea of wholesale rejection of novel foods because they ate “fake”.
That’s all I’m after as well. If tastes good, I could care less What it looks like. I’m a very adventurous eater and will try anything. i Don’t think I’ll ever get the vegan that wants the sensation of dead animal on their plate. Same with the horrid fake booze out there. The whiskey that tastes like vanilla cardamom syrup. Pass. If they tasted great. I’d be on board. Still confused, but I’d eat/drink them.

last nights dinner was quinoa, Persian cucumbers, white beans, shaved onions with a fabulous spicy cilantro sauce the wife made. Delicious.

How is it almost impossible as a Vegan? I’ve been a Vegan for about 6 years and do just fine.
My wife is vegan and eats 165g of protein a day. Tofu, beans, nuts, lentils, etc... it's really not hard.

A big half pound burger has about 35g of protein. I'd have to eat 4.5 to get to 165g a day. I'm not doubting you, but I'm tempted to check the protein in those foods to understand this better. Fwiw, I rarely get 100g of protein in a day. I'm not concerned about it. I agree the recommended protein in western culture is ridiculously high.

last nights dinner was quinoa, Persian cucumbers, white beans, shaved onions with a fabulous spicy cilantro sauce the wife made. Delicious.

Last night's dinner was the last bowl of smoked sausage split pea soup I fed from for 4 days. And that was at 11pm. The only thing I ate yesterday. I'm going for 185 pounds. 10 to go. Funny thing about IF eating for so many years, I did not get hungry yesterday until that late. I could have slept on an empty stomach, but not as well. Also, it was still delicious. Maybe with the peas and sausage there was 25g of protein. :shrug:

Things like getting a colonoscopy a few years earlier than recommended seemed like maybe a good idea.

I think I asked this in one of our health threads around here - doesn’t make sense to me why if early detection can be so critical to surviving some health issues that we don’t scan earlier and more often than we do now. Just a general observation- I understand there’s cost and availability concerns.

I agree. Like anything, I know there's money involved and that affects things. Insurance and more. And also availability of equipment. I thought that was an interesting part of the guys Twitter thread as well about using additional tests.

freeganism per wikipedia

Freeganism is an ideology of limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources, particularly through recovering wasted goods like food.[1] The word "freegan" is a portmanteau of "free" and "vegan".[2] While vegans avoid buying, consuming, using, and wearing animal products as an act of protest against animal exploitation, freegans—at least in theory—avoid buying anything as an act of protest against the food system in general.

Freeganism is often presented as synonymous with "dumpster diving" for discarded food, although freegans are distinguished by their association with an anti-consumerist and anti-capitalist ideology and their engagement in a wider range of alternative living strategies, such as voluntary unemployment, squatting in abandoned buildings, and "guerrilla gardening" in unoccupied city parks

made me laugh, thanks....

I've been making this a good bit lately. I think somewhere someone had a salad Jennifer Anniston supposedly loved. I took that and added more to it.

You can mix and match and omit whatever you don't like:

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 15oz Can of Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
  • 1 1/4 cup cucumbers, diced
  • 1 ½ cups thin sliced cabbage
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup red onion, dicd
  • 1/2 cup mint, chopped
  • 3/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3/4 cup feta
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 ½ cups finely sliced cabbage or cole slaw mix
  • ½ cup craisins
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained and then chopped
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Place quinoa and water into a medium sized pot and place over high heat. Once boil has been reached, reduce heat to low and place a cover on the pot. Allow quinoa to simmer for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat. Leave the cover on for 5-10 minutes and then remove and fluff with a fork. Pour quinoa into large bowl.

Now add in everything else.

why if early detection can be so critical to surviving some health issues that we don’t scan earlier and more often
I dug into this when my wife had cancer. And the answer is there are more things than you'd expect where it's not obvious what you should do when you find them, and people tend to react to these ambiguous situations by addressing them aggressively. Which has a net negative impact on lifespan. So there's a tipping point where finding something early can save your life, but finding too much can actually shorten your expected lifespan. IIRC colonoscopies were one the big winners though -- very clear evidence for doing them as recommended.

How is it almost impossible as a Vegan? I’ve been a Vegan for about 6 years and do just fine.
My wife is vegan and eats 165g of protein a day. Tofu, beans, nuts, lentils, etc... it's really not hard.

A big half pound burger has about 35g of protein. I'd have to eat 4.5 to get to 165g a day. I'm not doubting you, but I'm tempted to check the protein in those foods to understand this better. Fwiw, I rarely get 100g of protein in a day. I'm not concerned about it. I agree the recommended protein in western culture is ridiculously high.
Protein shakes play a part. 2 x 35g of protein from them does a lot of heavy lifting. Then it's not very hard to find 20g protein at breakfast, lunch and dinner and a 10g from a couple snacks in between.

I tend to eat much less protein, I'm not lifting like she does and focus much more on just total calories I eat vs. the macros but I have a couple other friends (not vegan but probably 85% plant based) who strive for similar high protein targets.

There also are complications from endoscopy, some of which may be life threatening.

freeganism per wikipedia

Freeganism is an ideology of limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources, particularly through recovering wasted goods like food.[1] The word "freegan" is a portmanteau of "free" and "vegan".[2] While vegans avoid buying, consuming, using, and wearing animal products as an act of protest against animal exploitation, freegans—at least in theory—avoid buying anything as an act of protest against the food system in general.

Freeganism is often presented as synonymous with "dumpster diving" for discarded food, although freegans are distinguished by their association with an anti-consumerist and anti-capitalist ideology and their engagement in a wider range of alternative living strategies, such as voluntary unemployment, squatting in abandoned buildings, and "guerrilla gardening" in unoccupied city parks

It’s wacky, for sure. But as a philosophy, far and away the most ethical way to eat.

freeganism per wikipedia

It’s wacky, for sure. But as a philosophy, far and away the most ethical way to eat.

The guerilla gardening jogged a memory. I used to have some acres in ag country. Most of the... no all of the land owners there used illegals for labor. The Mexicans were mostly homeless and had outdoor camps. The road winding its way to my house had large drainage ditches on both sides for all the over watered farm land. The Mexicans planted those ditches with about a dozen different food crops and they produced heavily. :)

Check out Peter Attia.

Most people want stuff that tastes good, first and foremost. Admittedly, a lot of the vegan fare doesn’t. I was just objecting to the idea of wholesale rejection of novel foods because they ate “fake”.
That’s all I’m after as well. If tastes good, I could care less What it looks like. I’m a very adventurous eater and will try anything. i Don’t think I’ll ever get the vegan that wants the sensation of dead animal on their plate. Same with the horrid fake booze out there. The whiskey that tastes like vanilla cardamom syrup. Pass. If they tasted great. I’d be on board. Still confused, but I’d eat/drink them.

Agree for the most part, though people endure drinking stuff that tastes bad initially, almost universally, due to peer pressure, social cachet, and/or mind altering properties. Society glorifies this particular “acquired taste.”

As more and psychoactive substances are legalized/normalized, it will be interesting to see if alcohol eventually loses its luster.

Last edited:
I'm 49. I want to live till 82. I plan on being completely retired at 52. 30 years of working full time and 30 years of living without work. It's math. 30 for 30.
What’s the plan if you can’t retire as intended, or happy and fully functioning at 82?
Well. I guess the math would push my request to die down the road a bit. Ha ha. 35 years of jobs and 30 years of no jobs works also I guess. I'm reasonable. I've been fortunate in life where 52 should happen.

As more and psychoactive substances are legalized/normalized, it will be interesting to see if alcohol eventually loses its luster.

My daughter (24) and her best friend have taken over the management of a local bar whose clientele was older, scientist type DoD workers on the large navy base here. Through marketing, ideas like karaoke, and whatnot, they've completely changed the demographic. The crowd is now much younger. It's much busier but the owner is unimpressed. Alcohol sales are a little lower. Young adults coming to socialize already feeling good and drinking coffee, tea, soda, and non-alcoholic bevs, have become a large part of the business.

The other issue is vegan protein tends to coexist with fiber, which limits the absorption. Moreover, your body can only process so much per meal.

Annnnd still, we’re going overboard consuming the “halo” macronutrient du jour. Tune in a couple decades to see the unintended health consequences of gratuitous protein.

why if early detection can be so critical to surviving some health issues that we don’t scan earlier and more often
I dug into this when my wife had cancer. And the answer is there are more things than you'd expect where it's not obvious what you should do when you find them, and people tend to react to these ambiguous situations by addressing them aggressively. Which has a net negative impact on lifespan. So there's a tipping point where finding something early can save your life, but finding too much can actually shorten your expected lifespan. IIRC colonoscopies were one the big winners though -- very clear evidence for doing them as recommended.
The best example may be evaluating prostate cancer, which is typically slow growing, and diagnosed later in life. Even untreated, most people die of diseases unrelated to the tumor itself.

But that doesn’t sit well with many, who want to “do everything” to evaluate and treat the potential cancer. But diagnostic procedures can cause incontinence, impotence, infection, or worse. Same goes for the treatment, if cancer is actually found.

So medical professional societies are at odds for appropriate screening strategies, if any, to balance risks and benefits.

freeganism per wikipedia

My mom did this in the 60s in Berkeley. The local grocery store would carefully put aside the “organic trash” that they knew my mom was after. Which included bones from the butcher :oldunsure: with which to make soups. She calls it being a poor hippie.

I've been making this a good bit lately. I think somewhere someone had a salad Jennifer Anniston supposedly loved. I took that and added more to it.

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup mint, chopped
  • 3/4 cup feta
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup craisins
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Place quinoa and water into a medium sized pot and place over high heat. Once boil has been reached, reduce heat to low and place a cover on the pot. Allow quinoa to simmer for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat. Leave the cover on for 5-10 minutes and then remove and fluff with a fork. Pour quinoa into large bowl.

We call that the garbage salad. It’s whatever you have available. Love them.

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup mint, chopped
  • 3/4 cup feta
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup craisins
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

It's surprisingly good. The mint and feta work great together.

And the pistachios and sunflower seeds and artichoke hearts give it a substantial boost.

Craisins add a bit of sweet that works and the lemon juice enough acid.

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup mint, chopped
  • 3/4 cup feta
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup craisins
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

It's surprisingly good. The mint and feta work great together.

And the pistachios and sunflower seeds and artichoke hearts give it a substantial boost.

Craisins add a bit of sweet that works and the lemon juice enough acid.
A big bag of frozen edamame is usually in my freezer. They’re great in a lot of things.

Thought this was good on Blue Zone stuff https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/blue-zones-power-9

Every day we’re inundated with the “right” things to do to live a longer life. Drink eight glasses of water a day, they say. Go to the pharmacy for an off-label prescription, advise others. And others task us with the impossible—yet promising—task to just keep a positive mindset.

Today, the average life expectancy in Britain is 81, and in 2022 there were over 15,000 people over the age of 100 living in England in Wales. But in the Blue Zones, or regions of the world where people live exceptionally long lives, individuals are ten times more likely to live to 100. These places—specifically the Barbagia region of Sardinia, Italy, Okinawa, Japan, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica; and Icaria, Greece—are packed with centenarians.

It was only a matter of time until medical researchers, demographers, epidemiologists, and anthropologists dug in to find out the common denominators among these places. Thus, emerges the Blue Zones “Power Nine”—or nine things that the five places who have the highest proportions of people who reach age 100—have in common. National Geographic’s Dan Buettner, published these findings in his book, The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest. We tapped our own longevity experts to weigh in on each of the nine pillars.

1. Move naturally​

Studies show that sedentary behaviour like sitting for 13 hours a day or walking less than 4,000 steps per day can reduce the metabolic benefits of acute exercise, while occasional activity could help reduce post-meal insulin levels. Researchers even found that “soleus push-ups” (that's calf raises for the majority of us) done in a sitting position have been shown to fuel metabolism for hours. In other words: You don’t need to set aside 90 minutes every day to exercise day after day. Exercise snacks, or small bouts of movement incorporated throughout the day, are proven to be just as effective as larger planned-ut workouts—and much more accessible to most.
So, where does someone begin? Dr. Kien Vuu, founder of Vuu MD Performance and Longevity, author of Thrive State, says it starts by thinking of your work day differently. Have a bike? Opt for walking or biking for short distances, including to the office if that’s an option for your commute. Once you’re at your desk, try leg lifts or seated stretches, take the stairs to grab coffee, or opt for walking meetings if you’re chatting with someone who’s also in-office. Just a few minutes of activity breaking up sedentary behaviour can reap many benefits.

2. Say yes to happy hour​

By now, most everyone has indulged in a non-alcoholic beverage, whether or not you're on Team Dry January/Sober October. Although there’s loads of research praising the benefits of ditching alcohol altogether, a glass of wine is praised in Blue Zones. Not because of the wine’s health benefits, per say, but more so because of the socialization that comes hand-in-hand with imbibing now and then. “In longevity cultures, moderate alcohol consumption often occurs in a social context, emphasizing the role of community and celebration,” says Dr. Vuu. “The key might lie more in the positive social interactions and less in the alcohol itself. Positive relationships contribute to mental and emotional well-being.”

3. Take time to downshift​

We’ve all heard it before: Stress is no good for us. Still, it’s often unavoidable. “When you notice your body tensing or your emotions rising, take a deep breath, hold for a few seconds, and slowly breathe out through your nose,” says Dr. Michelle Loy, an integrative medicine specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and assistant professor of pediatrics in clinical medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine. “The more you practice this, the better it gets. It can be done anywhere, anytime, and doesn’t interact with any medications or supplements.”

4. Give your diet a plant slant​

Rich Roll. Chris Paul. Justin Fields. Kevin Hart. We’ve covered loads of guys who stick to a mostly plant-based diet (and exhausted the benefits of a plant-based diet, too). Blue Zone researchers agree, recommending that individuals seek out plant-based sources of protein, like beans, including black, soy, fava, and lentils, over meat. And when you’re in the mood for an animal-based option, opt for 3- to 4-ounce serving of pork.

5. Find your crew​

If there’s one thing many learned during the last few years when it was at times stripped away from our day-to-day, there’s extreme power within connection and friendship. Those that live the longest identify close friends, and commit to those relationships for life. “Love and positive social interactions have been shown to release oxytocin, known as the ‘love hormone,’ which plays a role in bonding and reducing stress levels,” says Dr. Vuu. “So, loving, supportive relationships can lead to long-term improvements in emotional state and physical health.”

6. Abide by the 80 per cent rule​

Researchers found that the people in Blue Zones eat their smallest meal in the late afternoon or early evening—then don’t eat any more the rest of the day. This falls into what’s called the "80 per cent Rule," which recommends people stop eating when their stomachs are 80 per cent full. If you’re not good at exercising this type of restraint. Dr. Loy has a tip: “When you are starting to feel full, put away part of your meal in a Tupperware—or ask for the server to pack it to go,” she says.

7. Put your loved ones first​

Investing time in your family is something that not only pays off emotionally, but in terms of longevity as well. Successful centenarians keep aging parents (or grandparents) nearby, commit to a life partner, and if they have children, they make an effort to spend time with them.

8. Find a place you belong​

Research shows that attending a faith-based service four times per month could add four to 14 years to your life expectancy. If religion isn’t your cup of tea, there’s always the opportunity to dive deep into your own personal wellness. Seek out a squad that makes you feel accepted and seen, whether that’s your local CrossFit gym or a weekly trivia ritual at the restaurant down the block.

9. Know your “why”​

When you know why you wake up in the morning and have a purpose in your day-to-day life, research shows that you can add up to seven years to your life expectancy. The Japanese concept of Ikigai encourages individuals to find their personal calling or purpose, adds Dr. Loy, who recommends asking yourself four questions and finding where these answers intersect:
  1. What do I love? (Passion)
  2. What am I good at? (Profession)
  3. What does the world need? (Mission)
  4. What can I be compensated for? (Vocation)
“It may take some soul-searching, but it is worth taking the time to engage in this personal quest, as when you find your Ikigai, or several, it brings clarity to how you live your life,” she says.

Thought this was interesting.

Unlocking Longevity: Delving Into The 12 Hallmarks Of Aging (Part 1)​

In general, not a fan of YouTube scientists, but this guy does a really good job summarizing the strengths and weaknesses of one of the more popular longevity gurus, Dr. Peter Attia.

I read Attia’s excellent book, Outlive, but share some concerns about his muscle-centric bias. May be interesting to those of you who avoid carbohydrates, in favor of moderate-high (mostly animal) protein and fats.

Video here

Last edited:
Thought this was interesting.

Unlocking Longevity: Delving Into The 12 Hallmarks Of Aging (Part 1)​

That’s a good review of aging mechanisms, in layman’s terms. He does go off the rails a bit in his dietary and supplement advice though.

This is not something I really think about. I just try to enjoy life every day. Maybe because both my father and his brother died in accidents at age 35. I'm 66 now and it is around the age that most of the men in my family are gone. Most of the women in my family live to be in their 80s or 90s. None of them really did anything special towards a healthy lifestyle. One difference is the men drank alcohol and the women did not. Also, the women attended church regularly, but not the men. I probably have a more active lifestyle than most in my family so maybe I will extend that male life expectancy. I probably could get more sleep though.

This is not something I really think about. I just try to enjoy life every day. Maybe because both my father and his brother died in accidents at age 35. I'm 66 now and it is around the age that most of the men in my family are gone.
I'm similar but different. My dad died at 64 and his father at 69. Both heart attacks. I can t speak to my grandfather, he died before I was born, but my dad lived an unhealthy lifestyle, obese, alcoholic. When I would try to get in shape he would say "you can't outrun your genes" and we would always have lots of unhealthy snacks in the house. It was nothing for me to put away a large bag of chips every night as a teenager living at home. We had meat at every meal.

On the other hand, my other three grandparents all lived to be 90+ and my mom is the healthiest 77 year old I've ever met.

I have been overweight my entire adult life but even at my heaviest, probably 50+ lbs lighter than where my dad was and don't drink anywhere near the level he did (multiple bottles of rye whiskey a week). I'm now also taking more steps in the right direction though with a lot of small changes.

I could still die in my 60s (or earlier) but I have some hope from my mother's side and I use some healthy resentment towards my dad (I do blame him for his early death, I may have some unresolved issues there or maybe it's just the way it is) as motivation, as I do try to "outrun my genes" as he would say - or at least not treat them as a death sentence.

In terms of this thread, I eat 95% or more plant based, I'm doing more strength training and playing squash 2+ times per week (joined the local league) and I definitely have the social/communal aspect down with a great friends group and supportive family.

I could still drink less alcohol but I've cut it back as well and now I see a lot of the same guys I usually drink with at the squash club instead of the pub (sometimes both).

I generally take a break from exercising in the fall months and start ramping up around May. That usually gives me a good start so I’m in condition for activities in the summer

Usually that involves just doing something each day after work. Lift weights one day, Ride my bike the next, Push ups and sit ups the next day, jump rope the next, etc… no real plan - just keeping it moving and alternating upper/lower halves.

This yea I’m adding daily breathing, stretching and balancing exercises.

I’m researching psychedelics, shrooms, micro dosing, etc. Still early and underfunded but we appear to be on the preface of a major change in how psychedelics are used and accepted.

This thread caught my eye as I am making this soup this weekend. I don't know if it will extend your life span, but who many dead Ikarians do you know. Also, it's very good.

Ikarian Longevity Stew With Black Eyed Peas

Ingredients
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 large red onion, finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 fennel bulb, chopped
• 1 cup (8 oz.) dried black-eyed peas (or 15 oz. *canned)
• 1 large, firm ripe tomato, finely chopped
• 2 tsp tomato paste, diluted in 1/4 cup water
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 bunch dill, finely chopped
• Salt to taste

Directions
1. Heat a quarter cup of the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and fennel bulb. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and toss to coat in the oil.
2. Add the tomato, tomato paste, and enough water to cover the beans by about one inch. Add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the black-eyed peas are about halfway cooked. Check after 40 minutes, but cooking may take over an hour.
3. Add the chopped dill and season with salt.
4. Continue cooking until the black-eyed peas are tender. Remove the bay leaves, stir in the remaining olive oil, and serve.

I'm still meatless. I'm still eating cheese and eggs. I smoothie "fasted" for the last three days. I might go another day, but I hit my goal this morning. 185 pounds. 5 pounds under my hs basketball weight. Feel great, but my kid says I'm too skinny. Perfect.

It's citrus season. I'm getting 10 pound bags of local oranges for $5. I'm addicted to "orange julius" smoothies.

Fill the blender halfway with 10 different microgreens. You can do this with Spring Mix from your grocer.
Add frozen oranges to the fill line.
Add a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
Break a couple eggs into it.
Blend. Drink. Smile.

I mix it up with "peanut butter and jelly" smoothies.
Half way with the greens.
Two heaping tablespoons peanut butter.
Frozen grapes to the fill line.
A cup or so of oat milk.
Blend. Drink. Smile.

Not really a fan of learning via podcasts, but this is a really good one about exercise and longevity. It hits upon the major talking points about the type/intensity/duration with practical applications of exercise physiology data, with scientific references sprinkled throughout. I definitely learned something.

Not really a fan of learning via podcasts, but this is a really good one about exercise and longevity. It hits upon the major talking points about the type/intensity/duration with practical applications of exercise physiology data, with scientific references sprinkled throughout. I definitely learned something.

Thanks. Can you please give us a summary? Thanks.

Last edited:

Thanks. Can you give us a summary? Thanks.
please

Thanks. Can you give us a summary? Thanks.
please
A lot of stuff that’s been mentioned before:

Exercise is really important for healthy aging; physical fitness is one of the best predictors of all-cause mortality.

Being elite physically, as measured by vO2 max, improves survival four-fivefold over the least fit. And the biggest benefit is seen between the least fit and second lowest fitness quintile, so you don’t have to be an Olympian to get a lot of bang for your exercise buck.

For comparison purposes, smoking, or having diabetes increases risk of death ~40%.

It’s important to exercise regularly, both at a basal level (Zone 2, like brisk walking, where you can speak comfortably while exercising) and at lactate threshold (all out, HR zone 4/5, like 4 minute run/walk intervals). The latter helps bump up vO2 max, and may stave off dementia via something called BDNF.

150-300 minutes/week of mild-moderate exercise, or half as much high intensity + 2 sessions of strength training/week is recommended.

Resistance training is also associated with longevity. Both cardiovascular and strength training stimulate adaptations which preserve muscle, which is critical as we enter old age (65+).

Being sedentary for extended periods is detrimental to health. The podcast guest recommended exercise “snacks” - activity, rather than sitting, every 30 minutes at work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread