What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Master Grilling/Smoking/BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

Great effing work here Shuke.

I did a quick search to figure out what the hell to bbq this weekend, came upon this thread, I'm set.

:thumbup: Just changed my vote to you on the eat off vs. my gb gm.

What about links to specific posts that show the process start to finish in various recipes? Megla, Joe B, and myself have all done these at some point. And more and more insane pitmen are pulling the camera out during the prep, cooking, resting and slicing portions of the process. Plenty of these threads that go through the start to finish of cooking butts, shoulders, chickens, fatties, ribs, steaks, brisket, etc.

For instance, the Grilling thread I started in May is close to 20 pages long now. But in that thread are a bunch of specific posts that chart meat from fridge to the grill to the cutting board to the table....

What about links to specific posts that show the process start to finish in various recipes? Megla, Joe B, and myself have all done these at some point. And more and more insane pitmen are pulling the camera out during the prep, cooking, resting and slicing portions of the process. Plenty of these threads that go through the start to finish of cooking butts, shoulders, chickens, fatties, ribs, steaks, brisket, etc. For instance, the Grilling thread I started in May is close to 20 pages long now. But in that thread are a bunch of specific posts that chart meat from fridge to the grill to the cutting board to the table....
Don't worry, plans are in the works. :angry:

What about links to specific posts that show the process start to finish in various recipes? Megla, Joe B, and myself have all done these at some point. And more and more insane pitmen are pulling the camera out during the prep, cooking, resting and slicing portions of the process. Plenty of these threads that go through the start to finish of cooking butts, shoulders, chickens, fatties, ribs, steaks, brisket, etc. For instance, the Grilling thread I started in May is close to 20 pages long now. But in that thread are a bunch of specific posts that chart meat from fridge to the grill to the cutting board to the table....
Post a link with a description and I'll add it.

Why all the talk about having this pinned in 'only' the summer?? I live in MN and grill ALL YEAR LONG!! Of course it could be the fact that my father has worked for Weber for over 40 years, so the BBQing is in my blood you might say...

What about links to specific posts that show the process start to finish in various recipes? Megla, Joe B, and myself have all done these at some point. And more and more insane pitmen are pulling the camera out during the prep, cooking, resting and slicing portions of the process. Plenty of these threads that go through the start to finish of cooking butts, shoulders, chickens, fatties, ribs, steaks, brisket, etc.

For instance, the Grilling thread I started in May is close to 20 pages long now. But in that thread are a bunch of specific posts that chart meat from fridge to the grill to the cutting board to the table....
A few posts with pictures of the process of cooking various recipes from start to finish...Spiral Sliced and Stuffed Pork Loin

Alien BBQ Mac and Cheese

Grilling a big friggin steak

Yet another big friggin steak

Crabmeat stuffed pork loin and Stuffed eye of round

Kicked up Burgers

Steak and seared scallops

Ribs and Brisket

Fatties, Baked Beans and stuffed peppers

Smoked Chicken.

The rest of the Smoked Chicken pics

Ribs

More Ribs

Grilled Potatoes

Megla's Riboff

TheFanatic's Rib Off while on vacation

Salmon

This compilation thread is so good it deserves its own forum!

WTG BBQ gods!

For the past few hours, just cutting and pasting things the "look interesting" I have a 215 page word doc.

Joe, can we maybe just sneak in a cooking forum. There are enough cooks in the FBG world to make this a true public service.

TIA

A few posts with pictures of the process of cooking various recipes from start to finish...Spiral Sliced and Stuffed Pork Loin

Alien BBQ Mac and Cheese

Grilling a big friggin steak

Yet another big friggin steak

Crabmeat stuffed pork loin and Stuffed eye of round

Kicked up Burgers

Steak and seared scallops

Ribs and Brisket

Fatties, Baked Beans and stuffed peppers

Smoked Chicken.

The rest of the Smoked Chicken pics

Ribs

More Ribs

Grilled Potatoes

Megla's Riboff

TheFanatic's Rib Off while on vacation

Salmon
blackdott

Someone PM'ed this to me re: pulled pork. Not sure if it was from some other thread or not.

:D

Choice of meat:

I use bone in Pork Shoulder – Boston Butt for my pulled pork. They range from 5 to 9 pounds. I find mine at Sam's club cryo-packed with two butts per pack. Sometimes you can find them in supermarkets, or if you have a source at a meat wholesaler you can get them there. Some folks use a fresh pork picnic which is the Butt (Shoulder) and the upper front leg bone together. They are larger than the Butt alone.

Preparation:

About 12 hours before the meat goes in the smoker, trim a little if desired (I usually don't), apply a coating of your rub of choice, and wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. (Some folks put on a coat of yellow mustard before the rub to hold the rub on and add to the bark. The mustard taste cooks out. This is a matter of personal preference.)

Smoking:

I can't give instructions for each type of smoker, as I have experience only with mine. (GOSM and CharGriller w/ SFB) Check the forums for that info.

Start your smoker and get it up to 225-240 degrees F. My personal wood choice for pork is hickory. Unwrap the meat, stick in the probe of your digital thermo (A highly recommended accessory.), and place the meat in the smoker, fat side down. I don't flip butts as it interferes with bark formation. Fat side down helps protect the meat if you have a temp spike. After the meat gets over 100F I spray it every hour with a 3 to 1 mix of apple juice and Captain Morgan's Original spiced rum. I have used bourbon instead of rum, but my family prefers the taste of the rum spray. The sugars in the juice and booze will caramelize, and add to the bark. (Bark - dark outer crust that develop as the meat cooks.) Others will make good suggestions for alternate sprays. You will develop your own favorite with a little experimentation. (The nice thing is that they all taste good!)

Foiling:

When the meat gets to about 165F, double wrap it in Heavy Duty aluminum foil. Put some of your spray of choice in the foil to help braise the meat. At this point I usually stop making smoke unless there are other things in the smoker that need the smoke. (You can finish cooking from this point on in the oven set at 250F if the weather changes or you want to save smoker fuel.) Continue to cook until the internal meat temps gets to 195-205F. Remove the foiled meat from the cooker and wrap it (still foiled) in a couple old bath towels and put it in an insulated cooler to rest for at least an hour before you pull it.

The Plateau:

Almost all butts (and briskets – but that's in the beef forum) will hit a plateau where the temps of the meat stops rising. Don't be tempted to raise the heat as that will dry out the meat. The meat is absorbing a lot of heat at this point while the connective tissue is breaking down. This is what makes the meat tender. Low and slow is the way to go! I've seen some actually drop in temp by a couple degrees. Patience – it may be over an hour before the temp starts climbing.

Pulling:

There are several choices here, some folks use two forks, there is a tool called bear claws, Dutch puts hunks of it in his Mixmaster with the dough blade to pull. I use my hands. I un-foil the meat, the bone usually falls out on it's own, and I break it apart in to big pieces that I let cool for a few minutes. I then go through each piece and pull out the extra gunk (technical term for fat and connective tissue) and shred by hand.

Sauce:

I serve my pulled pork with my sauce(s) of choice on the side. I will add some of SoFlaQuers finishing sauce (another sticky here in the pork forum) to the pork just after I've shredded it. My personal favorite way to eat it is on a cheap white bun (CWB) with a little BBQ slaw right on the pork in the sandwich.

Time of smoke:

The general rule of thumb is that it will take about 1.5 hours of cooking at 225-240F per pound. Keep in mind that this is just a guideline as each piece of meat is different. Go by temp not time to know when it's done. Someone here said, "The meat will be done in it's own good time." I once had two 8 pound butts finish an hour apart in time. Give yourself extra time, you can always keep it wrapped in the cooler a little bit longer before you have to serve. It's hard to rush a piece of meat if it does not want to be rushed.

How to know a steak is cooked properly? This is not a rare vs. well done debate as I went a wee bit over the top in that thread and don't want to relive that shame :tinfoilhat:

This method can be used for all levels of doneness. Even for you lunatics that want it medium well or beyond :shrug:

I give you the Thumb Test

How to know a steak is cooked properly? This is not a rare vs. well done debate as I went a wee bit over the top in that thread and don't want to relive that shame :bag:

This method can be used for all levels of doneness. Even for you lunatics that want it medium well or beyond :P

You are supposed to use tongs to squeeze the steak??? :goodposting:
Please God, tell me you do not use a fork to turn your steaks

How to know a steak is cooked properly? This is not a rare vs. well done debate as I went a wee bit over the top in that thread and don't want to relive that shame :bag:

This method can be used for all levels of doneness. Even for you lunatics that want it medium well or beyond :P

You are supposed to use tongs to squeeze the steak??? ;)
:goodposting: The big holes from the fork are a great way to get the flames really going...

;-)

nah, I just never got the thumb test. To me, squeezing my palm doesn't feel the same as squeezing a steak with tongs. The only way my brain could handle it is if I were to squeeze the hot steak between my fingers. Obviously that isn't a good idea.

A lot of folks refer to the thumb method though, so clearly some people can effectively make the connection.

I just go with heat and time.

:ptts:

You are supposed to use tongs to squeeze the steak??? :wall:
:confused: The big holes from the fork are a great way to get the flames really going...

;-)

nah, I just never got the thumb test. To me, squeezing my palm doesn't feel the same as squeezing a steak with tongs. The only way my brain could handle it is if I were to squeeze the hot steak between my fingers. Obviously that isn't a good idea.

A lot of folks refer to the thumb method though, so clearly some people can effectively make the connection.

I just go with heat and time.

:shrug:
Not squeezing the steaks. Pushing on them with the tongs or your fingers. Squeezing the width of the steak does not have the same result as pushing on the top of it with the tongs...

bump

Wasn't there a "Kitchen Essentials" thread a while back. I tried to find it. Please post a link here if you know what I'm talking about.

NM. Found it.

link

Last edited by a moderator:
A solid dinner tonight. Started off with some crostini's from Grillin Fools site, followed that up with a nicely grilled, cajun-rubbed New York Strip served medium rare along with some quinoa with sauteed red and yellow peppers and onions, grilled asparagus and a crisp green-leaf lettuce salad. Paired with a Left Hand IPA, it couldn't' get much better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread