What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Minnesota Vikings Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mosely is a gret pick. We have few DTs and this will allow Pat to get a beak every now and then.DE Udeze, James, Johnstone, Mixon, ScottDTWilliams-2, Mosely, Scott, Johnson, Martin (Scott twice I know.)One or two guys will not make the team. Martin and who?

Not a MINN homer, so asking. I was surprised by the Fason pick, but didn't know about last year of Bennett and Onterrio's contracts. Is there any info in MINN that the team might cut bait with both those guys after this year? I hadn't heard anything on this, but its an interesting point and might make Fason a decent dynasty reach.

CJ Moseley was once projected in the 2nd round. Anyone have any info on why he might have fallen this far? When the Vikes were on the clock I was screaming Moseley or Shazor...lol. Here's to a great draft :banned:

SOD and Tice really don't get along from what I have read. tice really likes Bennett but Bennett cannot stay healthy. I think Bennett does great this year and gets resigned. Williams, Moore, and Fason back him up=mess.

Adrian Ward?????????? NFL.com doesn't even have a player profile on him. Shazor must really have an attitude problem or something.

SOD and Tice really don't get along from what I have read. tice really likes Bennett but Bennett cannot stay healthy. I think Bennett does great this year and gets resigned. Williams, Moore, and Fason back him up=mess.
Tice may like Bennett more, but the competition will be wide open. It will be tough to speculate who comes out and siezes (sp??) the opportunity. My money is on Onterrio, but I wouldn't wager more than $.68. :rolleyes:

Adrian Ward?????????? NFL.com doesn't even have a player profile on him. Shazor must really have an attitude problem or something.
I was really hoping to see Shazor's name up there for this pick. NFL's draft analysis just says "he has some cover skills". Not sure why Shazor slipped off the draft board entirely - don't think it was attitude problems (I live near Ann Arbor), but I will check the papers in the morning and see what the story is, if any.

I think they would have passed again and taken defense. Clearly down on Williams. I was hoping for Pollack at #18. The one I wonder about is Spears. Might be a mistake passing on him.
Pollack is undersized for defensive end. Even Cinncy is already slotting him at linebacker. Because Minnesota does not seem like they are moving to a 3-4 hybrid, James has significantly more value for us than Pollack.Pollack - 6'2, 245.

James - 6-4, 265
Don't kid yourself, the Vikings wanted Pollack.James will be ok, as long as that injury is in the past.

I loved the Vikings offseason EXCEPT their biggest move. The Moss trade. The vikings traded the most dominant WR over the past decade for... a burner 1 dimeniosnal unproven WR and a linebacker from a talented, yet somehow terrible, defense. Even if you want to argue and say Harrison or Owens has been better over hte past decade, I would disagree, but given the propensity for bust in 1st round WRs its inconvieable for anyone to say Williamson's value is anywhere near Moss's. The Vikings had plenty of cap, so its not that Moss's contract was strangling them, especially considering the 7th overall pick comands a big salary as well. If the Vikings had Moss they'd be a projected SB team. Without him, there are still questions. I think Williamson was one of the worst picks of the draft.

Jbald...Moss was a fungus, a cancer on the time. He become too much of a distraction and a me first attittude hence the trade. My only regard is that they didn't require more from the Raiders, but supposedly if there aren't more buyers for his services, then what could the team do?As for the Vikings draft, I like the fact that we picked up Williamson, James, Johnson and Fason, all who were rated near the top of their positions. I see in the local paper this morning that the Vikings signed the following FA's....QB - John BowenkampCB - Dovonte EdwardsLB - Sarth Benoit, So Conn St - supposed to be like C ClaiborneWR - Heath FarwellWR - Christopher JonesK - Jonathan Nichols, Mississippi, perhaps 2nd best kicker in draftOT - Rian MelanderTE - Matt RossC - Kyle SchmittLB - Ira CooperCB - Ukee DozierS - Justin FrazleyKR - Mike NordykeSo far I know nothing else about these guys or any other FA's signed last night or (later) today.

I loved the Vikings offseason EXCEPT their biggest move. The Moss trade.
I am a big Moss fan, but I think you need to look a little deeper at the trade;Randy Moss:

First and foremost, he is the most explosive player in the NFL over the past seven years; bar none. But he has had a string injuries and not the fluke type either. Whether it has been his foot, his ankle, his back or his hamstring, these injuries have persisted throughout his career and just don't appear to be healing. Last season, at the age 27 he started to show that he is not healing at the same rate as when we was 24, 23 or 22. He has not been a 100% for a few seasons now. Although not 100% he has still been very production, but at 28 I expect these same lingering injuries to become more prevalent now that he is 28. Maybe he does make all 16 games this year, but what about the following year when he is 29? How does Oakland handle this if Randy Moss is not able to stay healthy and will count 15 million against Oakland's cap next season? Do they suck it up? Do they ask him to renogogiate his deal?

For me, I hate to see him go; he was very explosive and a lot of fun to watch in Purple. But for a guy who lacks a good work ethic, has a list of nagging injuries that just don't heal, turning 28 and a huge cap number hit...I am very happy to have Williamson, Cowart and Napolean Harris instead; plus the extra salary cap room we will have next season.

I loved the Vikings offseason EXCEPT their biggest move. The Moss trade. The vikings traded the most dominant WR over the past decade for... a burner 1 dimeniosnal unproven WR and a linebacker from a talented, yet somehow terrible, defense. Even if you want to argue and say Harrison or Owens has been better over hte past decade, I would disagree, but given the propensity for bust in 1st round WRs its inconvieable for anyone to say Williamson's value is anywhere near Moss's. The Vikings had plenty of cap, so its not that Moss's contract was strangling them, especially considering the 7th overall pick comands a big salary as well. If the Vikings had Moss they'd be a projected SB team. Without him, there are still questions. I think Williamson was one of the worst picks of the draft.
They didn't get rid of Moss over money..They got rid of him due to attitude. Tice & company, including Many Viking Players felt Moss's "I'll play when I want to" was getting old and when he walked of fthe field vs. The Redskins I believe that was the last Nail.

I say :thumbup: :thumbup: .. Is Moss a great Reciever?? Hell Yes.. but is being a Great reciever worth all the conflicts and problems he caused? No.. Oakland's use to Head casee's so they got what they needed. :P

Don't kid yourself, the Vikings wanted Pollack.

James will be ok, as long as that injury is in the past.
I am not sure. I do see Pollack in the Tedy Bruschi mold; undersized DE in college who makes the move to LB. Most teams have him projected at linebacker and I am fairly sure the Bengals would move him there. The Vikings have plenty of 'tweeners' at linebacker and definitely had more of a need for a long-term blue-chip defensive end with pass rushing ability.This could come back to haunt us, Pollack is a player.

I loved the Vikings offseason EXCEPT their biggest move. The Moss trade.
I am a big Moss fan, but I think you need to look a little deeper at the trade;Randy Moss:

First and foremost, he is the most explosive player in the NFL over the past seven years; bar none. But he has had a string injuries and not the fluke type either. Whether it has been his foot, his ankle, his back or his hamstring, these injuries have persisted throughout his career and just don't appear to be healing. Last season, at the age 27 he started to show that he is not healing at the same rate as when we was 24, 23 or 22. He has not been a 100% for a few seasons now. Although not 100% he has still been very production, but at 28 I expect these same lingering injuries to become more prevalent now that he is 28. Maybe he does make all 16 games this year, but what about the following year when he is 29? How does Oakland handle this if Randy Moss is not able to stay healthy and will count 15 million against Oakland's cap next season? Do they suck it up? Do they ask him to renogogiate his deal?

For me, I hate to see him go; he was very explosive and a lot of fun to watch in Purple. But for a guy who lacks a good work ethic, has a list of nagging injuries that just don't heal, turning 28 and a huge cap number hit...I am very happy to have Williamson, Cowart and Napolean Harris instead; plus the extra salary cap room we will have next season.
Blue,Just curious, what was Cowart's contract? I know that Moss' deal was about $9Mil/season, Harris was about $1M/season and that Williamson's deal s/b about $5/season. Was Cowart's deal about $3M/season, so that the deal really does equal Cowart + Harris + Williamson = Moss?

Not a MINN homer, so asking. I was surprised by the Fason pick, but didn't know about last year of Bennett and Onterrio's contracts. Is there any info in MINN that the team might cut bait with both those guys after this year? I hadn't heard anything on this, but its an interesting point and might make Fason a decent dynasty reach.
Smith should be a restricted free agent next year, as he has only been in the league for 3 years, so it would be easiest for the Vikings to keep him. For the Vikes to keep Bennet he would have to win the starting job and have a good year, otherwise he'll be gone to a team that will pay him to be their starter (although no team may want him as their starter if he doesn't play well this year). This doesn't account for any trades.

I am not sure. I do see Pollack in the Tedy Bruschi mold; undersized DE in college who makes the move to LB. Most teams have him projected at linebacker and I am fairly sure the Bengals would move him there. The Vikings have plenty of 'tweeners' at linebacker and definitely had more of a need for a long-term blue-chip defensive end with pass rushing ability.This could come back to haunt us, Pollack is a player.
Morris hasn't been wrong on anything else so when he says the Vikes wanted Pollack bad I believe it. BTW, I've seen Pollack listed as heavy as 265 so I think he could easily be used as an edge rusher. That said, I still like James assuming he can stay on the field. The Udeze/James combo could be REALLY fun to watch.

I loved the Vikings offseason EXCEPT their biggest move.  The Moss trade. 

Blue,Just curious, what was Cowart's contract? I know that Moss' deal was about $9Mil/season, Harris was about $1M/season and that Williamson's deal s/b about $5/season. Was Cowart's deal about $3M/season, so that the deal really does equal Cowart + Harris + Williamson = Moss?
Per Rotowire:CONTRACT INFO: Signed a six-year, $31M contract with New York in March 2002. Traded to Vikings in March of 2005.

Just curious, what was Cowart's contract? I know that Moss' deal was about $9Mil/season, Harris was about $1M/season and that Williamson's deal s/b about $5/season. Was Cowart's deal about $3M/season, so that the deal really does equal Cowart + Harris + Williamson = Moss?
Contract wise, I suspect the Vikings got a little cheaper (not counting the accelerated bonuses for Moss' contract), but not a whole lot. Cowart is probably about 1.5 to 2 million a year, but I am only speculating.

Nevermind: looks like Cowart's deal with the Vikings is one year/ $1Million: http://kffl.com/player/1334/nf

[Looks like we got him on the cheap.]

So, the Moss trade in cap space looks like:

Harris + Cowart + Williamson + $2Mil/year = Moss

So PLEASE stop saying it is Harris and a 1st round pick for Moss - it is so much more. The salary cap completely changes everything, from drafting to trades. The name of the game is getting the right mix of talent under the cap, not stockpiling talent; it is the right talent, at the right places, & at the right price. The Patriots proved this in spades. We clearly were allocating WAY too much of our cap to offense; this offseason has been about re-allocating some of that money to defense.

Clearly, Moss is the best receiver in the NFL. But was his cap number in line with his talent and our needs? No way. We had a top five offense and a bottom five defense. You don't win championships that way.

Add in the fact that he best days are clearly behind him and trading him was the best move. If there was no salary cap, it was a bad move. But the fact is, there is a cap. And in a salary cap universe, allocating 1/10 of our cap to that one offensive player was not the best move for our football team.

When you evaluate players in today's NFL, the fact is that you must look at them as folows: Talent / Cap #. You want that ratio to be as high as possible. For Moss, that number was not high enough, given our defense.

More Williamson news:

Comments from wide receiver coach Wes Chandler. For those that don't know Wes Chandler, he was an explosive wide receiver for Don Coryell in San Diego. Reknown route runner with an emphasis on explosion and technique. First receiver ever to post 1,000 yards receiving in just 7 games into a season. Was the gold standard of wide receivers before Rice's career. In addition, he finished his career in San Francisco, his last year being Rice's first year and took Rice under his wing. Should be noted he has done a great job with Burleson so far as well.

link

Chandler began showing film to Tice, talking up a raw but apparently coachable prospect. Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell independently agreed Williamson is "the most explosive receiver in this draft."

"When you turn on the film and look at a guy like Troy Williamson, he jumps out at you," Chandler said. "You are not turning on a film and just looking at a flatline. This is no flatline.

"Every time he catches the ball, something is bound to happen. He has something that you can't teach and that's instinct. The moment the ball touches his hands, he looks for paydirt. I can't teach that. When kids have that, coupled with open-field running ability, that makes that person so special. Troy Williamson is special."

:confused: Guys, thought it was public knowledge, Cowart re-worked his contract before coming to Minnesota. He's under contract for ONE year at $1 million, so if he fudges up, we cut him and it only cost us a 7th rounder.

:confused: Guys, thought it was public knowledge, Cowart re-worked his contract before coming to Minnesota. He's under contract for ONE year at $1 million, so if he fudges up, we cut him and it only cost us a 7th rounder.
Actually, I do know if we cut him we get our 7th round draft pick back from the Jets next season. :thumbup:

More Williamson news:

Comments from wide receiver coach Wes Chandler. For those that don't know Wes Chandler, he was an explosive wide receiver for Don Coryell in San Diego. Reknown route runner with an emphasis on explosion and technique. First receiver ever to post 1,000 yards receiving in just 7 games into a season. Was the gold standard of wide receivers before Rice's career. In addition, he finished his career in San Francisco, his last year being Rice's first year and took Rice under his wing. Should be noted he has done a great job with Burleson so far as well.

link

Chandler began showing film to Tice, talking up a raw but apparently coachable prospect. Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell independently agreed Williamson is "the most explosive receiver in this draft."

"When you turn on the film and look at a guy like Troy Williamson, he jumps out at you," Chandler said. "You are not turning on a film and just looking at a flatline. This is no flatline.

"Every time he catches the ball, something is bound to happen. He has something that you can't teach and that's instinct. The moment the ball touches his hands, he looks for paydirt. I can't teach that. When kids have that, coupled with open-field running ability, that makes that person so special. Troy Williamson is special."
Good Lord I can not wait for SeptemberThis has been an amazing off-season for the Vikings

Nevermind: looks like Cowart's deal with the Vikings is one year/ $1Million: http://kffl.com/player/1334/nf

[Looks like we got him on the cheap.]

So, the Moss trade in cap space looks like:

Harris + Cowart + Williamson + $2Mil/year = Moss

So PLEASE stop saying it is Harris and a 1st round pick for Moss - it is so much more.  The salary cap completely changes everything, from drafting to trades.  The name of the game is getting the right mix of talent under the cap, not stockpiling talent; it is the right talent, at the right places, & at the right price.  The Patriots proved this in spades.  We clearly were allocating WAY too much of our cap to offense; this offseason has been about re-allocating some of that money to defense.

Clearly, Moss is the best receiver in the NFL.  But was his cap number in line with his talent and our needs?  No way.  We had a top five offense and a bottom five defense.  You don't win championships that way.

Add in the fact that he best days are clearly behind him and trading him was the best move.  If there was no salary cap, it was a bad move.  But the fact is, there is a cap.  And in a salary cap universe, allocating 1/10 of our cap to that one offensive player was not the best move for our football team.

When you evaluate players in today's NFL, the fact is that you must look at them as folows: Talent / Cap #.  You want that ratio to be as high as possible.  For Moss, that number was not high enough, given our defense.
Actually the trade was Moss for Napolean, Troy, & Adrian Ward. We used our own 7th on the Cowart trade and Oakland's on Ward.

Last edited by a moderator:

No doubt. I agreed with you on the size commentary, but I was reading lots of insiders who were saying they had Pollack high on their board.

The Vikings are stacked with young talent, most of which have long term contracts. Not to mention we have a boat-load of cap money for next year as well.Anyword on the following contracts:Kevin WilliamsBryant McKinnie

The Vikings are stacked with young talent, most of which have long term contracts. Not to mention we have a boat-load of cap money for next year as well.

Anyword on the following contracts:

Kevin Williams

Bryant McKinnie
nflpa.org reports McKinnie's contract runs through 2008, although I have a suspicion that the last two years are voidable. I swear I remember him signing a relatively short contract for a high pick(5 years, but really only a little over 4 if you consider the hold out). I have my doubts that the Vikes will attempt to resign McKinnie especially if he demands anything close to what the elite left tackles in the league have been getting. He's good, but he's not that good.Likewise, nflpa.org says Williams is signed through 2009, but I don't know if he has voidable years in his contract or not.

Users who are viewing this thread