What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL****Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (1 Viewer)

I believe our #1 target will be Danario Alexander.

Although I agree with someone else who said they think the Patriots will go after Amendola to replace Welker, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings get DX and Amendola.

Let's Play!

ugh! In this draft the pick might as well be a second rounder. Why the hell are we dealing the hits we make in the draft for a very remote chance at another hit. I'm not saying that it's impossible to build through the draft, but when you place your faith in a guy like Ponder without any dynamic playmakers surrounding him, I can't help but see a train wreck for the next couple seasons.
Were you paying attention to the Harvin situation at all? There was no way he was going to play here this year. They made chicken salad out of chicken poop and you should be pleased.

ugh! In this draft the pick might as well be a second rounder. Why the hell are we dealing the hits we make in the draft for a very remote chance at another hit. I'm not saying that it's impossible to build through the draft, but when you place your faith in a guy like Ponder without any dynamic playmakers surrounding him, I can't help but see a train wreck for the next couple seasons.
The draft is very deep at WR. IMO if the Vikes take WR's at 23 and 25 they may have better receivers overall than they did last year. They also have them cheap for the next 4 years and aren't paying one guy $12-$14M per.
Argee I would be happy with 2 WR with 2 of the 3 picks in top 60. My favs are hutner, Woods and Allen, but FA that can teach route running would rock. Or bring in Chris Carter to work with the WR on running routes.

Were you paying attention to the Harvin situation at all? There was no way he was going to play here this year. They made chicken salad out of chicken poop and you should be pleased.
:goodposting:

I completely agree...however, when he is healthy, I don't think there is a better offensive skill player in the league, so it is really tough to see him go. But they had to make this trade - far better value than I thought they would get.

'griff321 said:
'The Kuhn said:
'tdmills said:
'The Kuhn said:
I REALLY want to see Amendola as a Viking now.
they have bigger needs than a slot guy, I can see Wright filling that role. They literally have nobody on the outside. I'd much rather they save the WR $, draft 2 WR's in round 1/2. Sign a good FA Guard/DT/LB. Draft a CB in round 1/2.
Why not use Wright in that role? Amendola almost replaces Harvin 1:1. I guess the reason why I want to see a veteran come in for WR is two-fold: 1) he'll be a proven route-runner, that can help the others and maybe get Musgrave to open up the playbook a little more (a little hey, you paid me, how about you USE me?), and 2) he can help Ponder with consistent deep route timing. I'm not sure Jennings will be enough return on investment. Filling out the WR corps with nothing but young talent I think is a recipe for disaster with Ponder at his current level of production.
You've lost your mind. Typical Viking fans bashing a player that has moved on. Did you not see Harvin last season getting double and triple teamed and still making something out of nothing!? Loosing a bona fide playmaker for scraps is not the path to a championship.
Have you seen Amendola play? He's been the Harvin of the Rams for the past few years. He gets double and triple teamed as well, and still produces, and leaves it all on the field. Amendola is nowhere close to "scraps"- he may be an injury risk, but he's a player- game in, game out.I can see the Pats going all in on him though. The Rams could still do the shift of him to TE and franchise him too.

Don't get me wrong- I'd love to see Cruz on the Vikings...I think NY would be nuts to lose him. I can't see a scenario where they let him walk...even for a 1st.

My main concern over the Harvin trade are more about the events leading up to Harvin saying he wanted out. He hated Childress and who wouldn't. Childress has no business in the NFL imo. So the question is is Frazier the answer? He's way better than Childress but that's not saying much. With Childress Harvin and Peterson came out of the game nearly 80% of the time in the red zone. That improved under Frazier but there was still a tendency to use backup players on the most important plays of the game.

Yes, the team went 10-6 and Frazier was up for coach of the year but I just don't think he was deserving of that consideration. If it wasn't for Harvin early and Peterson late in the year this team would have been lucky to go 8-8 and not because of the team but because of coaching imo. Even when Peterson was on his tear it was all because of his talent and an improved o-line, over 1000 of his yards were after contact. 95% of the running plays were designed to go right up the middle or off tackle. There was nearly zero attempt to screen to AP or pull a guard to get him outside and in space. Most of the screen plays went to Gerhart which boggles my mind.

There was a lot of other things that made me crazy about the coaching but I can't remember everything right off hand. Either way I think giving Frazier an extension would be a mistake at this point.

My main concern over the Harvin trade are more about the events leading up to Harvin saying he wanted out. He hated Childress and who wouldn't. Childress has no business in the NFL imo. So the question is is Frazier the answer? He's way better than Childress but that's not saying much. With Childress Harvin and Peterson came out of the game nearly 80% of the time in the red zone. That improved under Frazier but there was still a tendency to use backup players on the most important plays of the game. Yes, the team went 10-6 and Frazier was up for coach of the year but I just don't think he was deserving of that consideration. If it wasn't for Harvin early and Peterson late in the year this team would have been lucky to go 8-8 and not because of the team but because of coaching imo. Even when Peterson was on his tear it was all because of his talent and an improved o-line, over 1000 of his yards were after contact. 95% of the running plays were designed to go right up the middle or off tackle. There was nearly zero attempt to screen to AP or pull a guard to get him outside and in space. Most of the screen plays went to Gerhart which boggles my mind.There was a lot of other things that made me crazy about the coaching but I can't remember everything right off hand. Either way I think giving Frazier an extension would be a mistake at this point.
Petterson did what he did vs NFC North, whos defense are built around stoping Rogers,Standford and Cutler..... Not AP. And of course you go right, loadholt is great run blocker but sub-par vs pass. Vikings need to hold on to him though.As for 8-8 I think it depend on how the draft pans out, but playing a home game and early bye will be tough. Unlees Allen returns to 2011 type numbers 8-8 might be right.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefterRT @TomPelissero: BREAKING:#Vikings just released Antoine Winfield.
Something big coming at 4pm? That is going to hurt the run D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefterRT @TomPelissero: BREAKING:#Vikings just released Antoine Winfield.
Revis?
Revis would be a bad fit for a cover 2 zone defense IMHO. Think Asomugha trying to fit the Eagles zone defense.I thought the Vikes did a good job drafting last year targetting guys who were considered a good fit for zone D.

Ouch, Winfield has been my favorite Viking since they picked him up. Always criminally underrated by the NFL community, yet never stopped giving it his all. Loved how the littlest guy on the field was the surest tackler. He never missed tackles, even one on one. Loved him as a player and any time he comes back to the stadium he deserves the biggest of cheers.

I can see the logic behind it though. They planned to use him part time this year and you can't pay $7.5 million to a part time player. Part of me hopes he gets on with a team like San Fran or Denver and gets a chance to get some jewelry.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'griff321 said:
I think it all boiled down to a new deal and a lot of the crap floating out there was just that. I guess we'll see what kind of deal he gets and then how he produces with that deal for Seattle. I think he's worth the money and Ponder is such a terrible QB that it'll be obvious with Wilson chucking the ball to him. To be determined, but I'm hating the path this team is on. I hope these moves will be the best for the team, but when the team is jettisoning two of my favorite players in a matter of days I just have little faith this team is going to be anything other than a basement dweller in the Norris.

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelisseroBREAKING: #Vikings have agreed to a multiyear contract with Phil Loadholt.
Top three in the run block, but can be a terrible pass blocker. I really hope we didn't overpay.
Agreed, they need to get him to be more disciplined as well. Way too many penalties last year.
Maybe it was just me, but they always seemed to happen at the worst times. I felt like I was constantly screaming at my TV, "AGAIN!? Loadholt you stupid fat F**K!"

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelisseroBREAKING: #Vikings have agreed to a multiyear contract with Phil Loadholt.
Top three in the run block, but can be a terrible pass blocker. I really hope we didn't overpay.
Agreed, they need to get him to be more disciplined as well. Way too many penalties last year.
Maybe it was just me, but they always seemed to happen at the worst times. I felt like I was constantly screaming at my TV, "AGAIN!? Loadholt you stupid fat F**K!"
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Revis?
Revis would be a bad fit for a cover 2 zone defense IMHO. Think Asomugha trying to fit the Eagles zone defense.I thought the Vikes did a good job drafting last year targetting guys who were considered a good fit for zone D.
I hear ya. I wasn't saying that's who I want as I'd rather not make a trade for a guy that wants crazy money coming off injury. I was interpreting TP hinting that something big was coming at 4:00 when he was just speculating. I hate losing Winfield too but it had to be done at $7.5M cap. I'd say decent chance he tests the waters and comes back for less money.

Winfield cut sucks..... :thumbdown:
Great player but not worth the $7 million he was due to make. At this point, IF they want to get involved in the FA market they had to free up space. Now do something as other then resigning loadholt it was a :yawn: of a day.

I thought Loadholt was much improved in his pass protection last season. He came into camp in better shape than I thought he looked in 2011 and he did not give up that many sacks either which was an improvement from 2011.

Loadholt is limited in pass protection though. Any threat of an outside rush and Loadholt has to commit to going wide outside to block them when they do. This means he cannot help out the RG so sending a blitzer through the gap creates a mismatch with the RG.

At least one of the penalties called on Loadholt should have been on Sullivan and the rest of the line. The refs just gave it to Loadholt out of habit.

I wonder how much money the Vikings gave him? Having Winston dropped recently added another quality tackle to free agency, so the deal could be reasonable? If less than $5 million I would consider it a bargain. I think Loadholt is still improving.

I thought Loadholt was much improved in his pass protection last season. He came into camp in better shape than I thought he looked in 2011 and he did not give up that many sacks either which was an improvement from 2011.Loadholt is limited in pass protection though. Any threat of an outside rush and Loadholt has to commit to going wide outside to block them when they do. This means he cannot help out the RG so sending a blitzer through the gap creates a mismatch with the RG.At least one of the penalties called on Loadholt should have been on Sullivan and the rest of the line. The refs just gave it to Loadholt out of habit.I wonder how much money the Vikings gave him? Having Winston dropped recently added another quality tackle to free agency, so the deal could be reasonable? If less than $5 million I would consider it a bargain. I think Loadholt is still improving.
I read somewhere it was north of $5m because the Bears were sniffing around and they didn't want him going to a division rival.

I thought Loadholt was much improved in his pass protection last season. He came into camp in better shape than I thought he looked in 2011 and he did not give up that many sacks either which was an improvement from 2011.Loadholt is limited in pass protection though. Any threat of an outside rush and Loadholt has to commit to going wide outside to block them when they do. This means he cannot help out the RG so sending a blitzer through the gap creates a mismatch with the RG.At least one of the penalties called on Loadholt should have been on Sullivan and the rest of the line. The refs just gave it to Loadholt out of habit.I wonder how much money the Vikings gave him? Having Winston dropped recently added another quality tackle to free agency, so the deal could be reasonable? If less than $5 million I would consider it a bargain. I think Loadholt is still improving.
I read somewhere it was north of $5m because the Bears were sniffing around and they didn't want him going to a division rival.
Kind of what I figured. I think Loadholt is worth that.I am not happy about cutting Winfield.Winfield did miss some tackles later on in the season but he was fighting an injury also. He played as good as ever before that injury and still has some good football left in him.Richie Rich Dolphins signed Wheeler. I really do not like this FA group of LB for the Vikings.

'snogger said:
Great player but not worth the $7 million he was due to make. At this point, IF they want to get involved in the FA market they had to free up space. Now do something as other then resigning loadholt it was a :yawn: of a day.
What- not excited about the resigning of Erin Henderson?

In putting together a post-free agency mock draft I'm really starting to wonder who the Vikings expect to start in the middle this year.

Te'o?

Minter?

Arthur Brown sounds like he's going to go off the board before they pick. He'd be the best option I think.

'snogger said:
What- not excited about the resigning of Erin Henderson?
Hopefully to back-up $, with a plan to get improvement at the position.FWIW, I was initially upset when I saw the Wiedener story about Winfield being surprised, implying he'd never had restructure discussions. I say implying, because the exact wording used was he'd never received an offer "formally." To me, if a guy or his agent are approoached and asked "informally" to restructure, there should be no surprise, and clearly the issue was raised (and probably rejected). Still, sucks seeing Winfield be released, seemingly in a way that burned bridges.Just saw Laurent Robinson was released by the Jags. Based on how well he did with Dallas 2 years ago, he seems like a viable FA pursuit for a team in our situation, maybe as a serviceable and economical WR3. Not a solution for sure, but a proven WR.

Just saw Laurent Robinson was released by the Jags. Based on how well he did with Dallas 2 years ago, he seems like a viable FA pursuit for a team in our situation, maybe as a serviceable and economical WR3. Not a solution for sure, but a proven WR.
They released him because he had FOUR concussions last year alone. He apparently still has symptoms from them. He's Jahvid Best d-o-n-e.

Just saw Laurent Robinson was released by the Jags. Based on how well he did with Dallas 2 years ago, he seems like a viable FA pursuit for a team in our situation, maybe as a serviceable and economical WR3. Not a solution for sure, but a proven WR.
They released him because he had FOUR concussions last year alone. He apparently still has symptoms from them. He's Jahvid Best d-o-n-e.
Ahh, was not aware. Scratch that.

Ahh, was not aware. Scratch that.
Poor kid. I feel bad for him.

In putting together a post-free agency mock draft I'm really starting to wonder who the Vikings expect to start in the middle this year.Te'o? Minter? Arthur Brown sounds like he's going to go off the board before they pick. He'd be the best option I think.
Call Urlacher's agent and at least inquire...???

In putting together a post-free agency mock draft I'm really starting to wonder who the Vikings expect to start in the middle this year.Te'o? Minter? Arthur Brown sounds like he's going to go off the board before they pick. He'd be the best option I think.
Call Urlacher's agent and at least inquire...???
Well, Urlacher did seem to lose some of his speed last year, but his instincts are still better than nearly any other option we might have. I'm not sure whether our playing surface is any worse on his knees than the Chicago field, but he'd come with red flags on the injury front. Got to imagine he'd be ready to stick it to the Bears by signing with a division rival if they've ignored his contract proposal, as PFT reported. Then again, he seems like the sort who would want to retire as a Bear if at all possible, so we might simply be used for bargaining with the Bears.

Users who are viewing this thread