What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL****Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (1 Viewer)

I do think Kiko Alonzo is a real interest for them after the 3rd round possibly as high as their 3rd round pick. I think they are interested in all of the defensive backs they looked at also as well as others they didn't. What I find interesting is they worked out RB Ellington, Michael, Stepfan Taylor, Robbie Rouse (who I know nothing about). 3 of those were senior bowl however. The only private workout was with Ellington. This tells me a replacement for Gerhardt may be coming from this draft in the later rounds. The Vikings could use a good pass catching RB again now that Harvin is no longer taking that role.

I consider most of these visits to be smoke and the top players for the Vikings are likely guys they will not look at so as to not tip off the other teams.

Interesting that they looked at Sheldon Richardson twice, most mocks do not have him being available as late as the Vikings 1st pick so not sure why they might be thinking he would be available.

Minnesota Vikings appear ready to go young at middle linebackerBy Ben Goesslingbgoessling@pioneerpress.com

mailto:bgoessling@pioneerpress.com?subject=TwinCities.com:
Vikings ready to go green in the middle

The genesis of Mike Singletary's hall of fame career came in 1981, when he became the Chicago Bears' middle linebacker for nine games of his rookie season. Over 172 regular-season (and 12 playoff) games, Singletary became the command center of the Bears' iconic defense, his eyes seemingly burning out of his helmet as he directed the "Monsters of the Midway."

But asked what he remembers about running the Bears' defense as a young player, Singletary simply replied, "Being very frustrated."

"(It was) just trying to learn it all, just trying to not make mistakes, not trying to slow the defense down," he said. "The development of the middle linebacker is really predicated on how fast he can assimilate information and get the defense going. If he slows down, it slows everybody else down. You don't want to start looking at you and saying, 'Hey, can you do this or not?' "

It is into that role that the Vikings could thrust a young player during the 2013 season. They re-signed Erin Henderson to play the weak-side linebacker spot, and coach Leslie Frazier said Sunday, April 7, that the Vikings will not look to move Chad Greenway from the strong side, where he has made two consecutive Pro Bowls, to the middle linebacker role.

Unless the Vikings, who currently have $4.4 million left under the salary cap, sign a veteran linebacker, they will head into 2013 with either a rookie or a seldom-used linebacker (Audie Cole or Marvin Mitchell) manning the middle of their defense.

That kind of a move would require some faith on the Vikings' part.

"We know we have to get one. That's no secret," Singletary said after the Minneapolis Sports Collectible and Autograph Convention in Brooklyn Center on Sunday. "When we do, we just have to teach him as much as we can, as fast as we can. It's going to be a lot of work."

As the Vikings' linebackers coach, Singletary will be responsible for teaching a young player the intricacies of the position at the NFL level. The middle linebacker is traditionally responsible for relaying defensive calls and assignments in the huddle, and in the Vikings' Cover-2 scheme, the player has to be able to take away openings in the middle of the field in pass coverage.

The Vikings brought in a handful of linebacker prospects -- Notre Dame's Manti Te'o and Georgia's Alec Ogletree among them -- for their "Top 30" prospects event last week, and though the event doesn't necessarily identify the players in whom the Vikings are most interested, it's clear they are doing their due diligence on a number of linebackers.

"I'd like to believe there's going to be one there for us," Frazier said after the autograph convention. "There's some good players at the linebacker spot, and we have a need to improve our depth and find a middle linebacker. Hopefully, we'll get the right guy."

It's a deep enough draft at the position that the Vikings could find a solution with either the 23rd or 25th overall pick.

"Fortunately, this a good year to draft one," Singletary said. "The kid at Kansas State, Arthur Brown, the kid at Notre Dame (Te'o), the kid at LSU (Kevin Minter), Ogletree, there are a few guys that have good quality. It just depends on how it shakes out."

As he's met with linebacker prospects, Singletary said, he's placed more emphasis on their ability to command 10 other players than on their ability to go to a white board and diagram the Vikings' defense.

Not everyone can walk into a huddle at age 22 and earn immediate respect, and Singletary has used his meeting time to try and determine which players are up to the task.

"Do they have the personality to get in a huddle and say, 'OK, here's what we're doing' -- as a rookie -- and, 'Here's why. Let's go?' " Singletary said. "Do they have the presence, that sort of thing, that charisma that draws guys to them and have them believe that he's the guy?

"Just like anything else, you can be wrong. But I haven't been wrong very often."

The way their roster currently looks, it appears the Vikings will have plenty riding on their ability to be right in the draft.

"The NFL is so different than college," Frazier said. "It just depends on that person's makeup."

A MAN FOR THE MIDDLE?

With one of their two first-round picks in the NFL draft this month, it seems likely the Vikings could pursue a middle linebacker who might start immediately in 2013. Here is a brief look at some of the players they could target with either the 23rd or 25th overall picks:

ARTHUR BROWN

School: Kansas State Year: Senior

Outlook: Brown recorded 100 tackles, intercepted two passes (returning one for a touchdown) and had a sack in 2012. He is a prototypical Cover-2 linebacker who could help the Vikings in pass coverage, particularly.

KEVIN MINTER

School: Louisiana State Year: Junior

Outlook: After a 130-tackle, four-sack season, the 6-foot-0 Minter attracted plenty of attention heading into the draft. He ran a 4.81 40 at the NFL scouting combine, which could drop him into the second round, but he's a hard-hitting linebacker whose consistency was a plus for the Tigers last season.

ALEC OGLETREE

School: Georgia Year: Junior

Outlook: The 6-foot-3 Ogletree might be the most physically intriguing player of the middle linebackers available, but character questions linger after a DUI in February and a failed drug test that had him suspended for the first four games of 2012. If the Vikings sign off on his character, though, they could be rewarded with a physical, rangy linebacker to put next to Chad Greenway.

MANTI TE'O

School: Notre Dame Year: Senior

Outlook: He became the most famous college football player in America after news of a hoax involving a dead girlfriend hit Deadspin in January, but Te'o has had to answer more questions about his subpar performance in the national championship game and his speed. The Heisman Trophy runner-up could intrigue the Vikings, though, with his range in coverage.

--Ben Goessling
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22975371/minnesota-vikings-appear-ready-go-young-at-middle

I am hoping either Brown or Ogletree are available at pick 23. I think there is a good chance at least one of those 2 will be. The Vikings may have eliminated Ogletree from consideration due to character concerns. Speilman said they eliminated one player during the combine. I think that may have been Teo, Allen, Ogletree or perhaps it was someone else. But some of the things Singletary is saying here has me thinking it was Teo or Ogletree.

I did not like what I saw from Minter in the games I watched. I did not see him doing anything in coverage despite some scouts calling that a strength of his. I saw him hiding behind defenders a lot, being more opportunistic than physical and giving up extra yardage because of not being willing to plug the hole or risk being blocked.

I think Brown is likely the guy they really want even though some say he may be better suited to the outside.

Minnesota Vikings appear ready to go young at middle linebackerBy Ben Goesslingbgoessling@pioneerpress.com

mailto:bgoessling@pioneerpress.com?subject=TwinCities.com:
Vikings ready to go green in the middle

The genesis of Mike Singletary's hall of fame career came in 1981, when he became the Chicago Bears' middle linebacker for nine games of his rookie season. Over 172 regular-season (and 12 playoff) games, Singletary became the command center of the Bears' iconic defense, his eyes seemingly burning out of his helmet as he directed the "Monsters of the Midway."

But asked what he remembers about running the Bears' defense as a young player, Singletary simply replied, "Being very frustrated."

"(It was) just trying to learn it all, just trying to not make mistakes, not trying to slow the defense down," he said. "The development of the middle linebacker is really predicated on how fast he can assimilate information and get the defense going. If he slows down, it slows everybody else down. You don't want to start looking at you and saying, 'Hey, can you do this or not?' "

It is into that role that the Vikings could thrust a young player during the 2013 season. They re-signed Erin Henderson to play the weak-side linebacker spot, and coach Leslie Frazier said Sunday, April 7, that the Vikings will not look to move Chad Greenway from the strong side, where he has made two consecutive Pro Bowls, to the middle linebacker role.

Unless the Vikings, who currently have $4.4 million left under the salary cap, sign a veteran linebacker, they will head into 2013 with either a rookie or a seldom-used linebacker (Audie Cole or Marvin Mitchell) manning the middle of their defense.

That kind of a move would require some faith on the Vikings' part.

"We know we have to get one. That's no secret," Singletary said after the Minneapolis Sports Collectible and Autograph Convention in Brooklyn Center on Sunday. "When we do, we just have to teach him as much as we can, as fast as we can. It's going to be a lot of work."

As the Vikings' linebackers coach, Singletary will be responsible for teaching a young player the intricacies of the position at the NFL level. The middle linebacker is traditionally responsible for relaying defensive calls and assignments in the huddle, and in the Vikings' Cover-2 scheme, the player has to be able to take away openings in the middle of the field in pass coverage.

The Vikings brought in a handful of linebacker prospects -- Notre Dame's Manti Te'o and Georgia's Alec Ogletree among them -- for their "Top 30" prospects event last week, and though the event doesn't necessarily identify the players in whom the Vikings are most interested, it's clear they are doing their due diligence on a number of linebackers.

"I'd like to believe there's going to be one there for us," Frazier said after the autograph convention. "There's some good players at the linebacker spot, and we have a need to improve our depth and find a middle linebacker. Hopefully, we'll get the right guy."

It's a deep enough draft at the position that the Vikings could find a solution with either the 23rd or 25th overall pick.

"Fortunately, this a good year to draft one," Singletary said. "The kid at Kansas State, Arthur Brown, the kid at Notre Dame (Te'o), the kid at LSU (Kevin Minter), Ogletree, there are a few guys that have good quality. It just depends on how it shakes out."

As he's met with linebacker prospects, Singletary said, he's placed more emphasis on their ability to command 10 other players than on their ability to go to a white board and diagram the Vikings' defense.

Not everyone can walk into a huddle at age 22 and earn immediate respect, and Singletary has used his meeting time to try and determine which players are up to the task.

"Do they have the personality to get in a huddle and say, 'OK, here's what we're doing' -- as a rookie -- and, 'Here's why. Let's go?' " Singletary said. "Do they have the presence, that sort of thing, that charisma that draws guys to them and have them believe that he's the guy?

"Just like anything else, you can be wrong. But I haven't been wrong very often."

The way their roster currently looks, it appears the Vikings will have plenty riding on their ability to be right in the draft.

"The NFL is so different than college," Frazier said. "It just depends on that person's makeup."

A MAN FOR THE MIDDLE?

With one of their two first-round picks in the NFL draft this month, it seems likely the Vikings could pursue a middle linebacker who might start immediately in 2013. Here is a brief look at some of the players they could target with either the 23rd or 25th overall picks:

ARTHUR BROWN

School: Kansas State Year: Senior

Outlook: Brown recorded 100 tackles, intercepted two passes (returning one for a touchdown) and had a sack in 2012. He is a prototypical Cover-2 linebacker who could help the Vikings in pass coverage, particularly.

KEVIN MINTER

School: Louisiana State Year: Junior

Outlook: After a 130-tackle, four-sack season, the 6-foot-0 Minter attracted plenty of attention heading into the draft. He ran a 4.81 40 at the NFL scouting combine, which could drop him into the second round, but he's a hard-hitting linebacker whose consistency was a plus for the Tigers last season.

ALEC OGLETREE

School: Georgia Year: Junior

Outlook: The 6-foot-3 Ogletree might be the most physically intriguing player of the middle linebackers available, but character questions linger after a DUI in February and a failed drug test that had him suspended for the first four games of 2012. If the Vikings sign off on his character, though, they could be rewarded with a physical, rangy linebacker to put next to Chad Greenway.

MANTI TE'O

School: Notre Dame Year: Senior

Outlook: He became the most famous college football player in America after news of a hoax involving a dead girlfriend hit Deadspin in January, but Te'o has had to answer more questions about his subpar performance in the national championship game and his speed. The Heisman Trophy runner-up could intrigue the Vikings, though, with his range in coverage.

--Ben Goessling
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22975371/minnesota-vikings-appear-ready-go-young-at-middle

I am hoping either Brown or Ogletree are available at pick 23. I think there is a good chance at least one of those 2 will be. The Vikings may have eliminated Ogletree from consideration due to character concerns. Speilman said they eliminated one player during the combine. I think that may have been Teo, Allen, Ogletree or perhaps it was someone else. But some of the things Singletary is saying here has me thinking it was Teo or Ogletree.

I did not like what I saw from Minter in the games I watched. I did not see him doing anything in coverage despite some scouts calling that a strength of his. I saw him hiding behind defenders a lot, being more opportunistic than physical and giving up extra yardage because of not being willing to plug the hole or risk being blocked.

I think Brown is likely the guy they really want even though some say he may be better suited to the outside.
I agree they want Brown in the 2nd round and they will move up to get him if needed. To be very clear, I see Vikings moving up in this draft in 2nd round and possible down in 1st. I do not expect the vikings to have 2 4th round picks come the 4th round, I am not sure how hi 4th rounder (Kitty's pick on the high end and our pick on low end) wil move us up in 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur Brown mock stock keeps rising. I seeing him getting mocked to Bears, often with Te'o and Ogletree still on the board. The biggest knock on him is his less than ideal playing weight but apparently he "blew up" his pro day at 236 lbs. He is a nice player but with other options I will guess the Vikings will be patient and see who falls to 23. I think it would be smart if the Vikings could trade back with one of their 1st rounders. I am guessing there will be a few quality players falling into the early 2nd round due to less than stellar pro days, injury issues, etc.

Any chance the Vikings take a shot on Rolando McClain?
I don't think so because he is a bit of a malcontent and we just got rid of one of those. I don't think they will add another. That being said he played very well. It is the off field stuff that is the problem with him. I dont think most of it is that bad but enough of an issue that the Vikings will not consider him.

Hope you all are ready for the Draft day as knowing the Vikings, nfl.com maybe onto something:

,, and with the 23rd pick of the 2013 draft the Minnesota Vikings select Manti Te'o <_<

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ngs-love-boat-makes-debut-on-iowa-great-lakes

Vikings 'Love Boat' makes debut on Iowa Great Lakes
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

If you're planning on spending some of your summer vacation on the Iowa Great Lakes -- and you crave a connection to sordid NFL history while you're there -- boy, do we have a deal for you.

An area marina operator named Butch Parks has purchased one of the vessels involved in the Minnesota Vikings' infamous "Love Boat" scandal, according to the Des Moines Register. Parks will offer cruises on the 63-foot ship, a 1994 Skipperliner that we're told has been fully restored.

(We're just going to go ahead and assume "fully restored" means "meticulously power-washed.")

If you don't know what happened on Lake Minnetonka during that October night in 2005, please consult the Google search function. Let's just say Vikings players and female companions boarded a boat. Things got weird. Consequences were faced.

Parks toyed with the idea of naming the ship "Love Tank" or "Mischievous" before deciding on "Scandalous." Parks plans to plant a Vikings jersey somewhere on the vessel as a reminder of what happened to all those who board.

He might want to re-think that.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Hope you all are ready for the Draft day as knowing the Vikings, nfl.com maybe onto something:

,, and with the 23rd pick of the 2013 draft the Minnesota Vikings select Manti Te'o <_<
I have tried to steel myself and accept this possibility but I have not been successful in doing that. I hope the Vikings pass over this guy and I will not be too happy if they draft him. I do not think he is a special player worthy of a 1st round pick. If the Vikings drafted him later than that I would have less issue with it but I am still hoping the Vikings can do better than that for their starting MLB. I do not see Teo being much better than what Brinkley was. Perhaps better in coverage but not the physical player in the run game that Brinkley is. I think several of the lower ranked MLB would be just as good of prospects as Teo without the baggage.

New McShay has Ogletree and S Williams going to Vikings.

And only 2 WR picked in 1st round.

As I posted in the Allen thread.... I would think Vikings would jump up and grab WR if this holds true at top of 2nd or late 1st.

New McShay has Ogletree and S Williams going to Vikings.

And only 2 WR picked in 1st round.

As I posted in the Allen thread.... I would think Vikings would jump up and grab WR if this holds true at top of 2nd or late 1st.
I would think that they would trade down from the 1st round pick into the 2nd if possible to get a WR in this scenario...and then trade (if need be) to get Bostic or Kiko Alonso later on...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...o-explore-switching-joe-webb-to-wide-receiver

Vikings to explore switching Joe Webb to wide receiver

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

The signing of Matt Cassel has allowed the Minnesota Vikings to admit what many of us already knew: Joe Webb is not an NFL-caliber quarterback.

With Cassel backing up Christian Ponder, the team can move Webb to receiver and better utilize his athleticism.

"(Webb) is such a talented athlete that we want to make sure that we're doing the right thing by him and our team, as well," coach Leslie Frazier said in the Star Tribune. "That's something we'll continue to discuss as we go forward."

Webb played quarterback at UAB, but he was drafted to play receiver. The quarterback experiment turned into full-time duty and he became the primary backup last season.

That experiment appears to be over and now Webb has the opportunity to make a successful contribution at a position of need for the Vikings.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

Faust said:

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

The signing of Matt Cassel has allowed the Minnesota Vikings to admit what many of us already knew: Joe Webb is not an NFL-caliber quarterback.

With Cassel backing up Christian Ponder, the team can move Webb to receiver and better utilize his athleticism.

"(Webb) is such a talented athlete that we want to make sure that we're doing the right thing by him and our team, as well," coach Leslie Frazier said in the Star Tribune. "That's something we'll continue to discuss as we go forward."

Webb played quarterback at UAB, but he was drafted to play receiver. The quarterback experiment turned into full-time duty and he became the primary backup last season.

That experiment appears to be over and now Webb has the opportunity to make a successful contribution at a position of need for the Vikings.

:thumbup:

Time to utilize his skills elsewhere..

I have made up my mind. I hope they use one of their first rounders on Robert Woods. For what they do on offense he'd be perfect.

After that, I'm hoping for BPA on defense. I'd love to see them take a CB (Jamar Taylor anyone?) or a d-tackle.

Take the best MLB available with the 2nd - Kiko Alonso or Jon Bostic.

So now you know.

Andy Dufresne said:
I have made up my mind. I hope they use one of their first rounders on Robert Woods. For what they do on offense he'd be perfect.

After that, I'm hoping for BPA on defense. I'd love to see them take a CB (Jamar Taylor anyone?) or a d-tackle.

Take the best MLB available with the 2nd - Kiko Alonso or Jon Bostic.

So now you know.
I like Hopkins the best of all the WRs in this draft, so he is the one I want...if they are able to drop a few spots and pick up Hopkins or Woods that would be all the better. I would be very happy with Woods, Hopkins or Hunter - really have come to like what I have seen from Hunter over the past month (not that he's any different, I just watched more of his games.)

Te'o is still the guy I want with the other first rounder, but not sure they can get him where they are at...one of the DTs would be my next choice.

Alonso would be good if they could get him in the 3rd and go CB in the 2nd...

I am totally undecided on who I want them to draft but I do want them to trade back with the second pick. I agree with Funky, it seems like there may two or three players that they could be targeting in the early 2nd that are good value there.

A lot of media types are predicting Te'o to the Vikings because of the obvious Notre Dame connection. I don't think I mind if they got Te'o at top of the 2nd rather than 25. The look on John Harbaugh face when Te'o ran his 40 makes me think he could fall that far. And even if doesn't fall, there could be other quality players there.

I actually hoping Tyler Eifert falls to the Vikings at 25 because a team like Miami could make a move for him.

They have to go WR in the 1st, or in the early 2nd if they opt to trade back. I'd rather the Vikes go into the season with a gaping hole on defense than be debating next offseason whether Ponder deserves a 4th year because of lack of WR targets in 2013. JMHO, WR is the single most vital position for this team - not only to give Ponder the help he needs to develop in a best case scenario, but to figure out conclusively where it stands at QB during 2013 in a worse case.

I see they are talking about moving Erin Henderson to Mike which could change draft plans as well...bring A. Brown into play with a first.

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

I could see Webb being used is Harvin's former role as a variation. The run option pass with Webb would be a new wrinkle that could be added. That being said I think Wright is pretty far ahead of Webb as a WR so I do not see him being used much as a WR even if he makes the final roster. If they were going to use Webb as a WR they could have started developing him for that 2 years ago and maybe he would be ready to make an impact at the position by now. That seems like wasted time to have Webb making a change at this point of his career.

I see they are talking about moving Erin Henderson to Mike which could change draft plans as well...bring A. Brown into play with a first.
I read this too. Of course the problem remains that Erin Henderson is not good in coverage. I do agree however that Henderson could likely be alright as a 2 down MLB if the Vikings happen to draft a player like Brown, Green or Sio Moore. All 3 of these guys might be better fits at MLB than Henderson however. It is good to know that they think Henderson can also play the MLB if needed as can these 3 outside LB prospects.

I would be ok with the Vikings waiting to address the LB position until the 2nd or 3rd round I guess because of these guys as well as some of the inside LB like Alonzo and Ogletree being other possibilities. I see a player like Bostic being a push getting us back to what we had with Brinkley last season at best. There are only a few who are good coverage LB and all of the teams in the NFL do want them. I think if the top guy on the Vikings board is there such as Brown or Ogletree you take them in the 1st round and not wait for another team to snatch one of these guys out from underneath you.

I agree with trading back from 25 into the 2nd round. I could see even trading back the 23 pick if enough players are available to drop to pick 25 or later even. I hope the Vikings can move around a bit and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder as there is enough talent in this draft that those picks will be good ones.

I do not think taking a WR in the 1st round is necessary at all. I think very good players will still be available into the 3rd and 4th round at that position. Yes the Vikings need another starter for when Jennings gets older but I think they have a good player in Wright and a complimentary WR on a run 1st team is not something that demands a 1st round pick imo.

I would be very happy if the Vikings drafted a DT and a CB in the 1st round as long as they could still get one of these coverage LB in the 2nd, but I do not think it is worth risking for a WR pick.

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

I could see Webb being used is Harvin's former role as a variation. The run option pass with Webb would be a new wrinkle that could be added. That being said I think Wright is pretty far ahead of Webb as a WR so I do not see him being used much as a WR even if he makes the final roster. If they were going to use Webb as a WR they could have started developing him for that 2 years ago and maybe he would be ready to make an impact at the position by now. That seems like wasted time to have Webb making a change at this point of his career.
:shrug:

I think they truly believed he could become a good QB.

The playoff game pretty much shut the door on that and I think even Webb has realized that he has one shot at being a NFL player and that is to not be a QB.

Even though they may list him as a "WR" I expect him to be more of a RB/WR and lining up in the backfield with Peterson at times.

That should open up the passing game as the Defense will be concerned about AP or Webb running. :popcorn:

I could see Webb as an above average return guy with some red zone potential at wideout...he is an unbelievable athlete.

FunkyPlutos said:
I could see Webb as an above average return guy with some red zone potential at wideout...he is an unbelievable athlete.
Plus he will always be threat to throw the ball.

As for draft, I all for maximizing the number of picks we have from 23-75 ... I think there lot good talent, but no lock up top talent outside of top 10 in this draft. It does not matter if get extra picks in end 1st round or more picks in start to middle of 2nd by either trading down or up. But owning 4-6 picks in 1st 75 is great way fill needs of this team.

On FA front I do not see any signings till after the draft, I not sure this will happen but I like see us draft and sign both Trufant's.

Per Rotoworld.com:
The Vikings and Kevin Williams have agreed to a contract restructure that will make him a free agent after this season.
Williams was due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million in both 2013 and 2014. Now he'll get a guaranteed $4.9 million this season and then hit the open market. The move clears out roughly $2.5 million in salary cap space, giving the Vikes about $6.913 million to work with. Williams will turn 33 years old in August, but is coming off another difference-making year as a run stuffer

Donnybrook said:
Per Rotoworld.com:
The Vikings and Kevin Williams have agreed to a contract restructure that will make him a free agent after this season.
Williams was due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million in both 2013 and 2014. Now he'll get a guaranteed $4.9 million this season and then hit the open market. The move clears out roughly $2.5 million in salary cap space, giving the Vikes about $6.913 million to work with. Williams will turn 33 years old in August, but is coming off another difference-making year as a run stuffer
Nice move :thumbup:

Would hate to lose him IF he is still performing at the level he is next season.. But he is reaching that age where one year contracts make better sense.

I wish they would have worked this out with KW earlier as it might have helped them keep Winfield while still making it possible to sign Jennings. Of course then they might not have been able to get Cassell, which they moved on pretty quickly. Anyhow glad the Vikings managed to keep KW. They could save another 2.5 million by cutting Guion as well. I would have liked to see more pro active moves like this early in free agency while also extending a new contract to Winfield similar to what they worked out with KW now.

As many NFL teams are in the middle of pre-combine draft meetings, there are many debates going on about different player’s value as their skill sets are evaluated and compared to others who play their position. Obviously, the top players at each position will be compared as team’s try to determine which players best fit their offensive and defensive schemes. Today we compare two of the top inside linebackers, Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o and Georgia’s Alec Ogletree, and try to determine where they fit best in the NFL. LSU fans do not fret as we will breakdown how your own Kevin Minter matches up with which of these linebackers we feel is best in the coming weeks.

[SIZE=1.3em]Although Te’o and Ogletree are definitely different players with varied skill sets, they have both received a lot of national attention as likely first round picks in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft. Before we breakdown each player’s physical skill set, it is important to note that both players have some questions surrounding things that happened off the field.[/SIZE]

In Te’o's case everyone knows that he was involved with what turned out to be a phony girlfriend that he met online. While this incident has led to a ton of media speculation about it hurting Te’o’s draft stock, sources around the league have told us that they believe Te’o was in fact duped and did not play a role in orchestrating this incident and therefore his draft stock will not change at all. Considering that people at Notre Dame speak about Te’o as a once in a generation type young man with outstanding character, leadership and work ethic, it is no surprise that this incident is not considered a big deal.

On the other hand, Ogletree has been in trouble two different times at Georgia, once when he was arrested for theft as a freshmen and subsequently suspended for one game and then this past season when he was suspended to start the season for reportedly failing a drug test. These issues no doubt raise concerns about Ogletree’s maturity and decision making, but according to numerous NFL personnel that I spoke with Ogletree is not considered a bad kid and that his draft stock will not be drastically affected. Even though character is a vital component to player success in the NFL, the physical tools they both bring to the table are why they are both expected to be first round picks.

Although Te’o has received more national attention and hype as a premier prospect and likely top ten selection, I, along with many NFL scouts, have never considered him to be a premier athlete and playmaker. More of a smooth and fluid athlete with good playing speed, Te’o is not a quick twitch explosive athlete. His combination of good athleticism, feet and football intelligence/instincts are what make him so productive playing off the ball in pass coverage. Reading and reacting to the quarterback and identifying the route combinations, Te’o gets and maintains proper positioning and is able to close to make plays on the ball to break-up and intercept passes. Quick to read the run, he gets started towards the ball carrier fast and has the speed to chase down plays in pursuit. A strong player, Te’o shows no hesitation stepping up and taking on blockers strong at the point of attack, but his struggles to consistently shed quickly hinder his ability to make many plays when he has to take on and shed a block to do so. Although he missed three tackles against Alabama, the reality is that when Te’o stays over his feet and under control he can be a sound tackler. However, his lack of elite athleticism is going to cause him to miss some tackles at times, as happens with the majority of inside linebackers in the NFL.

While Te’o is very productive in coverage and chasing down running plays, he is not an impact pass rusher and this limits his draft value in my eyes as that trait is extremely valuable in today’s NFL where pressuring the quarterback is so vital to defensive success. Te’o is likely the more instinctive of the two linebackers, but Ogletree’s rare athleticism allows him to more than make up for it.

While Ogletree is also a smooth and fluid athlete, he also possesses rare explosiveness, playing speed and violent hitting ability. I find it interesting that Ogletree displays excellent instincts in pass coverage, which allows him to use his great athleticism to make plays all over the field against the pass. However, against the run Ogletree does not display the same instincts as he often takes a false step before identifying the play and getting started in the right direction. He is however able to make up for it because once he identifies the play he accelerates to full speed fast and has the top end playing speed to chase down anyone in pursuit. Those instinctual questions also show up as he does not consistently sense/feel blocks from the side coming, which leads to him being sealed out of the play. There is no hesitation for Ogletree stepping up and taking on blockers strong at the point of attack and because he does so while maintaining leverage and using his hands well he is able to stay free from their blocks consistently. His foot quickness, agility and balance help him to maneuver his way through traffic easily to make plays all over the field against the run. While I feel he is more productive than Te’o against the run and in coverage, he really separates himself with his ability to explode through the line or off the edge to pressure the quarterback. Additionally, his excellent build combined with his rare athletic traits give him the versatility to be productive as an inside or outside linebacker in a 34 or 43 scheme.

When all is said and done, I believe that both Te’o and Ogletree will be successful NFL linebackers, but that Ogletree will play at a higher level and be more valuable to his team. His versatility to contribute in all aspects of the defense combined with his explosive playmaking ability will enable him to impact games similar to the way that Patrick WIllis does for the 49ers. Te’o will be a strong and physical interior force against the run who also shines in pass coverage. His playing style reminds me of Paul Posluszny in that he will make many plays against the run and in coverage, but likely not many impact plays and will not make mush impact as a pass rusher.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Compare-Contrast-NFL-Prospects-NFP-Version-20.html
I pretty much agree with this take on the 2LB. I see Brown and Ogletree, perhaps Sio Moore as the difference makers from the LB position in this draft. I do not think the other prospects are as well rounded with as much upside as these 3 players are.

I've seen a lot of guys comment on Austin. Isn't this a slot receiver a la Wright? Why wouldn't they target a WR type they lack?

Johnny Bing said:
BigJim® said:
I've seen a lot of guys comment on Austin. Isn't this a slot receiver a la Wright? Why wouldn't they target a WR type they lack?
I could see this, with hopes that he is ~75% of what Percy was.
Wright looked fine as a slot guy and made some big plays. If a trade up is being considered, I'd much rather have it be for a position of need. Why use the ammo we got for Percy to trade up to grab a guy who is 75% of Percy, supplanting a guy they used a 4th to pick on last year, leaving WR needs unaddressed?

I do not know how good Wright can be but I saw him perform pretty well in similar role as Harvin when he got the opportunity. Remains to be seen who the Vikings take in the draft, I do think what they do in the draft will tell us something about how much they think of Wright. When Wright was drafted I recall us wondering at that pick, why take Wright when we already had Harvin? Well now we know why. The Vikings prepared for this eventuality by drafting Wright, I think they give him the opportunity to become a starter for them, but again remains to be seen what they do in the draft. There are many players who will be available later in the draft who could be taken for the purpose of filling Harvin's role in the offense if they do not want to give all of that work to Wright. Why use a 2 1st round picks to trade up for Austin or Patterson when they could wait until the 3rd possibly 4th round and take players such as Stedmon Bailey (not sure he may be a 2nd round pick) Wheaton, Boyce, King, Swope, Marguess Wilson instead? That is a terrible idea, I think the Vikings are just exploring all options, I do not see them trading up in the 1st round and if they did I think it would only be a few spots, perhaps to secure a player such as Sheldon Richardson if they do not have to give up much for the move, otherwise I see them standing pat. The team has many needs, no reason to consolidate the value of the draft picks for quality when they still need quantity. Especially in this draft which nearly everyone is saying the talent pool is not top heavy but very deep. I do think the Vikings might look to move down/up into another 2nd or 3rd round pick but not moving up in the 1st. The value just does not justify that move when there is no real drop off in talent from the mid 1st round into the 3rd. Moving up to a top 12 pick would be way too expensive and I am not convinced the top players are that much better to be worthy of the cost (2 1st round picks, perhaps more)

I think it would most help the offense if they draft a big jump ball WR who can get deep. Players such as DaRick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Chris Harper, Cobi Hamilton, Aaron Mellette or Marcus Davis could all be available in the 3rd round or later. Hunter is another player they might be interested in for this role but he will likely be at least a 2nd round pick so does not offer as much value as these others might.

I'd love to see them go LB at 23 (possibly trade up for Ogletree), then trade back into the 2nd to take Terrance Williams, getting more picks. I think Hopkins also fits the need in the 2nd. If Eifert falls or some team loves a QB, trade back could be rewarding.

I'd love to see them go LB at 23 (possibly trade up for Ogletree), then trade back into the 2nd to take Terrance Williams, getting more picks. I think Hopkins also fits the need in the 2nd. If Eifert falls or some team loves a QB, trade back could be rewarding.
If they go with Ogletree, I hope they plan on putting him on the outside and put Henderson in the middle. Ogletree can't shed blockers enough to play the middle. He is a physical freak so I can see why people like him and he would be good in space but not in the middle.

I am not a fan of Williams at all...especially in the 2nd...if he was still there in the 4th when they pick it might be worth it but he reminds me of Williamson.

Other than last name, I'm not seeing the similarities between Williams and Williamson. Williamson was hyped essentially because of his speed, and Williams is not particularly fast (4.52). Williamson's entire college career amassed 1700 yards, with his jr season being his top production (43 rec, 835 yards). Not much was expected of Williams last year because RGIII was gone to the NFL, yet he amassed 97 receptions for a school record 1832 yards.

Draft profile from NFL.com:

Tall vertical and red zone target who can go up and get the ball. Eats up space quickly against soft coverage. Shakes his man off the line and has enough speed to get a step down the sideline. Is a sideline threat with quick feet for his size and body control in the air, making his stop, fade, and comeback routes more effective. Tracks the ball and adjusts to it in the air, and shows the ability to stop and turn for the back-shoulder fade. Adjusts his route to make himself available to his scrambling quarterback, going deep or crossing into an opening. Willing, strong, and physical blocker on bubble screens and in the run game, throwing his body into defenders and sticking with blocks. His blocking was a big key to Baylors perimeter run game.
Troy Williamson's predraft profile?

Negatives: Not physical, shies away from contact and marginally effective blocking downfield. Has never been overly productive on the college level.
Williams highlight clip:

From what I have seen, he does a lot of body catching...maybe Williamson was a bad comparison, but don't really trust his hands. I probably was too hard on him in that post but see him as a third or fourth round prospect...wouldn't mind at all if they drafted him in that area but wouldn't be happy with him in the 2nd.

To each his own. I'm not seeing a huge distinction from the guys who drop 4.2%-5.8%. We're talking about 1 out of 100 at that point and It's marginal. I find it hard to question the hands a Biletnikoff finalist with that sort of production. I've seen the predraft profiles, but I rely mainly on what I saw of Williams in games. Guy is a physical difference maker who made extremely tough catches. Beyond that he's a physical blocker which would help bubble screens and AP running. It's exactly what the Vikes lack at WR.

Stats that support Funky's argument: https://twitter.com/JPSTATS/status/317484706142752769/photo/1

I am not sure why there is so little hype surronding Aaron Dobson this year. I guess that is a good thing.
I hope it is not because many teams are playing their interest in him close to the vest. Would be very nice to see him fall to the Vikings in the 3rd round.. but I am not sure he lasts that long. I am hearing Hunter might be late 1st round early 2nd which is a bit rich for my taste if Dobson can be had later. Rogers is another guy who would be exciting but he might not last to the 3rd either. The other big WR seem more like projects to me than these 3.

I like the corners well enough that I hope a 1st gets used on one if they do not trade down. There are some quality safety prospects to consider as well. I still like Amerson quite a bit for a later guy who could possibly play both corner and safety. I do like some of the big hitters at safety as well. Would be great if they can add another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Stats that support Funky's argument: https://twitter.com/JPSTATS/status/317484706142752769/photo/1

I am not sure why there is so little hype surronding Aaron Dobson this year. I guess that is a good thing.
I hope it is not because many teams are playing their interest in him close to the vest. Would be very nice to see him fall to the Vikings in the 3rd round.. but I am not sure he lasts that long. I am hearing Hunter might be late 1st round early 2nd which is a bit rich for my taste if Dobson can be had later. Rogers is another guy who would be exciting but he might not last to the 3rd either. The other big WR seem more like projects to me than these 3.

I like the corners well enough that I hope a 1st gets used on one if they do not trade down. There are some quality safety prospects to consider as well. I still like Amerson quite a bit for a later guy who could possibly play both corner and safety. I do like some of the big hitters at safety as well. Would be great if they can add another 2nd or 3rd round pick.
I watched Game Changers the wide receiver edition last night. It featured Patterson, Allen, Woods, Rogers and Stills. I was getting a negative vibe from Rogers. Although he was saying all the right things, I just felt he was too much of a knuclehead to be trustworthy. I think he is the most likely to go off the rails as soon as he gets paid.

CNNSI just had a list (pictures) of their best draft picks from each draft position in history and from looking at that, once you get past pick 15, the lists got a lot shorter and less impressive. Some picks can be good at the bottom of the 1st but your chances of striking gold aren't the best. This draft might be different because of the lack of high end talent, but if the Vikings can package the #23 and their 2nd round pick to move up into the top 10-15 and get the guy they think will be a difference maker, they should probably do it. I'm not a big fan of this strategy but chances of hitting it big are much higher if you get a "top" guy.

According to Jerimiah, the most popular player according to teams he talks goes by the name of "trade back". That tells me were the strength of this draft is. If the Vikings do choose to trade up, i hope they are getting a discount price to do it.

I decided I would put my preferred Vikings draft on record.

23 - Slyvester Williams DT

25 - Jamar Taylor CB

2.23- Larry Warford G

3.23 - Jon Bostic

4.05 - Marquess Wilson

4.23 - Dennard Robison

Of course, the draft order will make the later picks subject to change. I really feel Marquess Wilson is very talented and his bad reputation is going to make him a steal.

Not sure I'm crazy about the purple pants on the road uniforms though. I'll reserve judgement until I see them on the field.

I bet they go white/white on the road. They have the purple pants now but seldom wear them.

Are we sure those are the new ones. Nike had some prototypes last year, I think.

If these are them, I like 'em a heck of a lot more than the current WLAF uniforms.

I bet they go white/white on the road. They have the purple pants now but seldom wear them.

Are we sure those are the new ones. Nike had some prototypes last year, I think.

If these are them, I like 'em a heck of a lot more than the current WLAF uniforms.
Yes. Came right from UniWatch on Twitter.

Any chance the Vikings could get something for Gerhart if they attempted to trade him on draft day?

Gerhart has been a good team player but I am sure he wants to get more carries elsewhere. I don't blame him if he does not want to re-sign with the team.

Users who are viewing this thread