What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL****Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (1 Viewer)

Did the Vikings acquire the Cardinals 1.7 pick? How? I see it on Yahoo but without any explanation.
:unsure: Not based on the "ticker" at NFL.com..
I can't find anything anywhere else, but this is what I see at team's yahoo page:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/min
Either they messed up or it is a top secret trade as the Yahoo NFL Draft page shows the same thing :unsure:
Ponder for the #7 Pick. Arizona wanted an upgrade at QB.

Arizona wants a do-over from the '07 draft. They're offering the same #7 pick the Vikings used in that draft for Adrian Peterson.

Did the Vikings acquire the Cardinals 1.7 pick? How? I see it on Yahoo but without any explanation.
I can't find anything anywhere else, but this is what I see at team's yahoo page:

Either they messed up or it is a top secret trade as the Yahoo NFL Draft page shows the same thing :unsure:
Arizona wants a do-over from the '07 draft. They're offering the same #7 pick the Vikings used in that draft for Adrian Peterson.
Nice work you two .. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

They'd have to throw in Carson Palmer to even it out.

Rich Spielman talking draft: http://www.1500espn.com/# Pretty general answers as always.

First, It sounds like the initial plan is to trade down with one of the first round picks but they wouldn't hesistate to trade up if someone they desire is falling.

Second, he talks about the pigeonholing of Te'o to Vikings but states they are several players that they have actually spent more time on due to concerns.

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman might be looking to trade.

During his pre-NFL draft news conference Tuesday at Winter Park, Spielman delivered one of his annual advertisements, noting that he is open to trade offers and asserting that the Vikings’ phone lines have been buzzing.

“I’m telling you, it’s been the most active it’s been in a while,” Spielman said. “Because of where we’re picking. And I don’t know the reason why, but there are a lot of teams that potentially are jockeying from the top of that second round and there are some teams jockeying potentially in the bottom of the first round to come up to one of our picks.”

Even though Spielman is armed with picks 23 and 25 for Thursday’s first round, the GM can’t promise he’ll use both, still exploring opportunities to move back and gather additional picks for either this year or next year.

“That’s something we’re going to be very open to,” Spielman said.

Spielman said it’s unlikely, however, that the Vikings would try to trade up in Round 1 on Thursday, particularly with a draft that seems to be loaded with depth at so many positions.

Linebacker options

The Vikings still have a vacancy at middle linebacker, a position they figure to address in some way this weekend. But Spielman said the team hasn’t ruled out the possibility of turning veteran Erin Henderson loose as the starting middle linebacker in 2013.

It’s not a shock the Vikings would leave that option open. But it would seem to be more of a last resort if the team struck out in finding a middle linebacker in this weekend’s draft.

Henderson seems better equipped as a weak-side linebacker and was far from spectacular a year ago when playing middle linebacker in the Vikings’ nickel packages. But Spielman asserted Tuesday that if the Vikings found an outside linebacker they really liked in the draft, they would be open to sliding Henderson inside.

“That’s what is great about this linebacker thing,” the GM said. “We have the flexibility to go either way.”

Big Pat is back

The Vikings will sign Pat Williams to a contract Thursday. But no, there isn’t any plan for Williams to supply depth at nose tackle. Instead, the one-day contract will be a symbolic gesture, allowing Williams to formally retire as a Viking.

The 40-year-old lineman started 93 games over his six seasons with the Vikings from 2005-10, anchoring a sturdy front that gave the team one of the league’s most consistently stingy run defenses. His 14-year NFL career ended after the 2010 season.

Williams will participate in the team’s draft party at Mall of America Field on Thursday night.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/204398761.html?refer=y
I hope an extra pick is coming out of this, perhaps more.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Vikings "would like to find a way" to take Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o in first round.
Middle linebacker is a glaring position of need for the Vikings, where they're trying to cram in weak-side 'backer Erin Henderson. However, it's possible Te'o won't be around when the Vikings pick at No. 23 overall. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Bears -- who hold the No. 20 pick -- also "love" Te'o. The Vikes are a candidate to trade up on Thursday night.
Please do us Bears fans a favor, and find your way to 18 or 19 and take this guy off of our hands.

TIA

Only 2 more picks before the Vikings pick, glad they didn't trade up, wouldn't mind seeing them trade down with one pick. They have some pretty great options coming up.

Intresting, I thought Rhodes would be 2nd rounder. Still not sold we will not end up with two 2nd's I like to see get Minter and WR like woods.

Wow! I can't believe the Vikings got Floyd at 23! Then Xavier Rhodes?? This is going better than I anticipated. Are they now on the clock again? Trading up to the Patriots pick?

Traded up for Patterson. Whoa.

Patterson! Wow... Kid will have lot live up too. Now we need find starting ILB late in day 3... ... Interesting.

So we trade Percy. Frees up cap space to get Jennings. Then draft a great WR prospect in the first.

Nice job Rick. Well done. Jennings gets to mentor Patterson and Wright. Simpson better shape up and produce.

Spielman is crazy like a fox.

Vikings three first round picks are going to cost him about 8 Million per player. 24 Million for all three. Compare that to the 22 Million for Fischer alone. Estimated salary for rookies: http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php

Vikings were the 4th youngest team in the NFL. Now with Brinkley, Harvin and Winfield gone, they are even younger.

So excited to see those three picks tonight. What I'm wondering now is why they don't go after a vet LB like Dansby as a stop-gap for a season or two. Still draft a LB in the 4th/5th (or 2nd/3rd if they can deal up again). But let Dansby eat space and make a ton of tackles until younger guys are ready. Or we address LB in the 2014 draft. Where we have an extra pick already in the bank from SEA. ;)

And FWIW. SKOL! Fun night. Thanks, Spielman! :woohoo:

I keep wondering about Audie Cole as a possible starter at middle LB. He is often not even mentioned by the national media as a possible starter because he was a 6th round pick. The funny thing is when I compared Coles combine numbers to Te'o's. Coles is taller but his combine numbers were better than Te'o's in almost every catagory.

I keep wondering about Audie Cole as a possible starter at middle LB. He is often not even mentioned by the national media as a possible starter because he was a 6th round pick. The funny thing is when I compared Coles combine numbers to Te'o's. Coles is taller but his combine numbers were better than Te'o's in almost every catagory.
That seems like a long shot but I liked what little we saw of his cover skills. I am excited about the Patterson pick and I think it will pay off but it would still be nice to have some picks coming.

Brown is still available and would be worth giving up a pick(s) next year to move up and get him.

This draft is better than I ever thought would be possible though. The Vikings may have gotten 3 of the top players at need positions on their board already, Still amazed Floyd fell.

Spielman is crazy like a fox.

Vikings three first round picks are going to cost him about 8 Million per player. 24 Million for all three. Compare that to the 22 Million for Fischer alone. Estimated salary for rookies: http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php

Vikings were the 4th youngest team in the NFL. Now with Brinkley, Harvin and Winfield gone, they are even younger.
Even better is that they get all 3 in their 5th year for an average of the 3-25 players at their position. That's great leverage when it comes time to re-sign these guys. I guarantee this played a part in them 'over-paying' to get back into the 1st.

I really love what they did!! The thing that really has me sold is how fast they made their picks - there was NO hesitation and you know how much Spielman likes to trade down, so that tells me these were the guys they were targeting.

The draft chart says it was about an even trade but teams were giving up less to move up than normal, however, if they had these guys higher on their board than where they picked, then it was really good value...plus they are all positions of need.

Very excited about what they did!!

Falcons gave up the 30th pick, a 3rd, and a 6th to move up 8 spots. We gave up a 2,3, our lower 4, and a 7 to move up 27 spots. Good trade. And great draft. Just great. Floyd was ranked 2nd overall by Mayock and 1st by Cossell. We now have the biggest CBS in the league with Cook and Rhodes and Patterson is a physical freak. So excited to have 5 1st rounders in the last two drafts. Great job trading up for the higher ranked Patterson and not Teo.

I think they can still find a starter at linebacker in the later rounds.

If they move Henderson inside (not sure that's a GREAT idea) then there are quite a few guys they could take to play the strong side. Guys like Gerald Hodges and Sean Porter come to mind.

If they take an ILB, someone like Alonso could potentially be there. Maybe A.J. Klein from Iowa St.

Who knows, maybe Te'o will still be there in the 4th?? I was wrong on him, thought they would take him. Just shows how much these teams can play the media...

Who knows, maybe Te'o will still be there in the 4th?? I was wrong on him, thought they would take him. Just shows how much these teams can play the media...
I can tell your optimistic, but Te'o won't be falling to the 4th. For a guy that is projected to be mid 1st to early 2nd doesn't all of a sudden fall three rounds.

Andy Dufresne said:
I think they can still find a starter at linebacker in the later rounds.

If they move Henderson inside (not sure that's a GREAT idea) then there are quite a few guys they could take to play the strong side. Guys like Gerald Hodges and Sean Porter come to mind.

If they take an ILB, someone like Alonso could potentially be there. Maybe A.J. Klein from Iowa St.
Chad Greenway is the strong side LB. The Vikings are looking for a Will or a Mike not a Sam. I agree there are several players that could help the Vikings at LB available I am just not sure any of them will fall all the way to pick 120. There is a better chance for someone like Alonso or Green being there at pick 83 than at 120.

If the Vikings could somehow find a way to get back into the 2nd round and take Brown that would set the defense up for some serious awesomeness. But now I am just being greedy. Very happy with what they have done so far.

I woke up this morning, fired up the computer, rubbed my eyes, and saw that last night's draft wasn't a dream... :pickle:

How crazy am I?

Vikings sign Urlacher for one year or two.

Draft a LB next year to play the middle or this year and have them under the tutelage of Urlacher

Too much glue sniffing?

How crazy am I?

Draft a LB next year to play the middle or this year and have them under the tutelage of Urlacher

Too much glue sniffing?
I'm all for this situation. The question is how much does Urlacher have left in the tank and how much does he want to play for.

My opinion is he's he can still play from the few games I saw lsat year, but I didn't watch a lot of Bears games.

Well, hopefully Patterson is working out with Ponder, Jennings and Wright as we speak. Then a couple hours on the Jugs machine would be good. Get that guy learning asap!

How crazy am I?

Too much glue sniffing?
I'm all for this situation. The question is how much does Urlacher have left in the tank and how much does he want to play for.

My opinion is he's he can still play from the few games I saw lsat year, but I didn't watch a lot of Bears games.
I read somewhere that Cole had better numbers than Teo at last years combine? If this is correct a guy like Urlacher would be perfect to teach him how to play the position.

Users who are viewing this thread