What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official monkeypox discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Meh, nothing she said is inaccurate.

She’s pushing back (appropriately IMO) on the concept of a “gay disease.” While “tight knit social network” is a bit much, I dont think that verbiage is impeding the message reaching the MSM community.
It’s a gay disease.  But we all know other people can get it.  But right now…that’s what it is.

Here’s a little thought scenario for you.

Imagine a serious polio outbreak happened because of antivaxxers.  The media would ridicule and shame that group of people to their core.

With monkeypox, here we have a disease that is being spread specifically because of gay men and the inherent risky nature of their sexual activities.  By the same logic, you should be able to blame the gay community for the spread.  But will anyone have the guts to say it? Of course not.

Technically, it's not a "gay disease" in the sense that the virus that isn't conscious and arguably isn't even alive also is not homophobic.  But if you are walking around thinking that it's a gay disease, your mental model is closer to the truth than "it hits tight-knit social networks."

Or, more specifically, why not just say that it spreads through close personal contact, like unprotected sex, so maybe you should avoid that?  What's this business about tight-knit social networks? 

Just tell people the truth, forthrightly.  Why is this so difficult?  Why do people in public health insist on talking like lizard people when clear, accurate communication is important?  Just tell people that this virus spreads through close physical contact, and maybe through close respiratory contact.  Sex is terrible for this, and anonymous, unprotected sex is especially terrible. I don't honestly even know if there's anything special about gay sex -- why not just say whether that's the case or not?  Why are you people so allergic to just speaking English?
Anal/rectal rash is one of the more common symptoms so theres that.

It’s a gay disease.  But we all know other people can get it.  But right now…that’s what it is.

Imagine a serious polio outbreak happened because of antivaxxers.  The media would ridicule and shame that group of people to their core.

With monkeypox, here we have a disease that is being spread specifically because of gay men and the inherent risky nature of their sexual activities.  By the same logic, you should be able to blame the gay community for the spread.  But will anyone have the guts to say it? Of course not.
Some people lost their sense of decency and empathy during the covid response. Maybe now they can admit their anger was misplaced.

They said that about AIDS too in the 80s.  :coffee:

I am old enough to remember people joking about COVID (then Corona Virus) when we first heard about it.  Not so funny now, is it?

Monkeypox will probably turn out to be nothing, but I think it is inappropriate to make light of it (or any virus). 
True no one should make light of it. But they probably should have given it a different name then. Like Manatee Measles. 

Although most diseases are at least partially self-inflicted, admittedly, I’m probably less patient with people refusing vaccination. I think it’s because getting a shot is soooooooo easy. I guess laying off anal receptive orgies for a while also ain’t tough, so I should share some scorn for close knit MSM.

But rather than calling out any group, I prefer to encourage safe sex and vaccination  :shrug:

What to know about monkeypox and kids

Jennifer Dillaha, director of the Arkansas Department of Health, told Axios NWA the agency has not issued any guidance to school districts concerning the monkeypox outbreak ahead of the new school year.

What they're saying: "At this point in time, we do not consider kids in school to be at high risk for this illness," she said.

It should be obvious to parents if their child has monkeypox because they will have a painful rash, she said.

The virus is spread through direct skin-to-skin contact with someone who has the rash, respiratory droplets during prolonged face-to-face-contact like kissing or by contact with contaminated items such as clothing.

Yes, but: There is no reason to believe the disease is any less contagious in children than adults, Dillaha said.

Two kids nationwide have tested positive for monkeypox, the AP reported. Neither of the cases are in Arkansas.

Reality check: While men who have sex with men have the highest risk of contracting monkeypox, anyone is able to contract the disease, the health department says.

https://www.axios.com/local/nw-arkansas/2022/08/01/monkeypox-kids-schools-public-health

With monkeypox, here we have a disease that is being spread specifically because of gay men and the inherent risky nature of their sexual activities. By the same logic, you should be able to blame the gay community for the spread. But will anyone have the guts to say it? Of course not.

I'll say it - yes, from what I know monkeypox is spread by gay men mostly and by far - yes, that's following and trusting the science of it

Over this last week I learned that monkeypox can spread via pools! Do not swim with M who have S with M.

you can touch a countertop and get it too - cdc wouldn't lie

c'mon, lets be very honest on the transmission here, k ? don't try and use a rare case of transmission for anything more than it is - rare

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2207323 Overall, 98% of the persons with infection were gay or bisexual men

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...helmingly-sex-men-major-study-finds-rcna39564 95% are believed to have transmitted during sex between men

I find it interesting how a week ago it was settled science. Now a week later and we're all confused again. Nothing changed but the narrative.

Further proof MonkeyPox can be spread by casual contact. LINK

The first known case of human to dog monkeypox transmission has been documented in medical journal, the Lancet. The dog caught it from its owners, a non-monogamous gay couple in Paris. The greyhound developed an anal ulceration & mucocutaneous lesions.

It’s a gay disease. But we all know other people can get it. But right now…that’s what it is.

Imagine a serious polio outbreak happened because of antivaxxers. The media would ridicule and shame that group of people to their core.

With monkeypox, here we have a disease that is being spread specifically because of gay men and the inherent risky nature of their sexual activities. By the same logic, you should be able to blame the gay community for the spread. But will anyone have the guts to say it? Of course not.
Some people lost their sense of decency and empathy during the covid response. Maybe now they can admit their anger was misplaced.
It's maybe just a wee bit different when with one disease you have to exchange some kind of bodily fluid and with the other you can infect an entire room of people just by being in same room with them.

False equivalencies are just that, false. ANY disease that can be spread via aerosols and is as contagious as Covid will be handled miles differently than something you essentially need close human contact. Miles differently.

Users who are viewing this thread