What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official New England Patriots Off-Season thread ** (1 Viewer)

Wilfork signs.

TBC signs.

Neal signs.

Bodden is visiting the Texans. There is no one on the FA market that can replace Bodden. No one in the draft either. Is there a solution to this?

I think Bodden is checking the market and will allow the Pats to match his best offer as he really wants to play for the Pats.

I don't like the plan that is being hypothesized by some of the local media, which basically has been the same plan from the past few seasons. Sign UFAs in their 30s well past their prime to one year deals and expect all their collective experience to win. The problem has been they end up with a lot of turnover, guys that get banged up, and players that are just not quick enough. IMO, they again would be a very good bet to make the playoffs but not one with great SB chances.

Bottom line, if they sign most of their FAs or soon to be FAs, that would leave them with last year's team (10-6) but another year older and a bunch of rookies. That sounds like a recipe to be meh in my book.

But we are a long way from playing football so things can change over the next few months.

I don't like the plan that is being hypothesized by some of the local media, which basically has been the same plan from the past few seasons. Sign UFAs in their 30s well past their prime to one year deals and expect all their collective experience to win. The problem has been they end up with a lot of turnover, guys that get banged up, and players that are just not quick enough. IMO, they again would be a very good bet to make the playoffs but not one with great SB chances.
I agree here. Rodney Harrison was a rare player. Although they do, fans can't expect every older guy that gets signed to contribute like he did. I really thought this idea wouldn't be in the front office though. Seems really risky. Why do they do that?
Bottom line, if they sign most of their FAs or soon to be FAs, that would leave them with last year's team (10-6) but another year older and a bunch of rookies. That sounds like a recipe to be meh in my book.
Well, Tate stands to improve. Same with their young defensive backfield.

Although a really premature question, if the Pats re-signed the guys they had last year and did their usual (trade out of the first or offload picks to future drafts), sign a few older guys, and predominently have the same team as last year), do you have a lot of faith that that unit would do much better than last year?I don't. To me, they would be a decent bet to make the playoffs but likely would not be one that had the horses to make a deep run in the postseason.

Although a really premature question, if the Pats re-signed the guys they had last year and did their usual (trade out of the first or offload picks to future drafts), sign a few older guys, and predominently have the same team as last year), do you have a lot of faith that that unit would do much better than last year?I don't. To me, they would be a decent bet to make the playoffs but likely would not be one that had the horses to make a deep run in the postseason.
No. I think their LB corps is a mess, their RB corps is one too. And if Bodden goes, it's going to be a big problem.Just saw this:(KFFL) Updating previous reports, Ian R. Rapoport, of The Boston Herald, reports free-agent WR Josh Reed (Bills) will visit with the New England Patriots Sunday, March 7.Don't think Reed is worth a damn, and he's still better than some of the WRs on this team.

(KFFL) Ian R. Rapoport, of The Boston Herald, reports free-agent DE Jarvis Green (Patriots) and his agent, Albert Elias, sat back during the first few days of the free-agent market making calls and focusing on how teams would use him. Beginning Monday, March 8, expect Green to either start taking trips to meet with teams or begin negotiations on a deal to keep him in New England.

they've need an OLB/DE player pretty much since McGuinest left. given, they tried to address this with A. Thomas, but every year I'm certain they'll draft an edge rusher early and every year they don't.

That's a good post Gordon. I just don't know why BB still uses a plan that is failing him. I also don't think there is any issue of deference for Brady. I'm sure he'd love to have a dependable running game.

I don't think it's exactly black and white. They should've won a 4th SB if the O-line could've given Brady a little time... shoulda coulda woulda. But that team was a passing machine, faltering toward the playoffs. They won another with Antoine Smith. They should get a better running game but surrounding Brady with quality wideouts is another way to get there. My worry with Belichick is a possible arrogance when it comes to his staff... or himself. At times last year the play calling and game planning was supect to say the least and cost them a couple games imo. I think some of the coaching decisions helped to erode confidence as well. Brady got crappy TE play, no 3rd receiver, lax play from Moss towards the end, crap play calls, AND poor rb consistency... all inter-related with the uncreative play calling. In this day and age, I think a team can and needs to be flexible, be able to get it done through the air as well as ground, at least to a point ala: Saints and Colts. If the Pats want to win another SBowl in this 5-7 year window left with Brady they should sell out and just surround him with as much freakin' talent as they possibly can. Add a guy or 2 to the D but concentrate on getting talent around Brady. Whoever, whatever it takes: Olsen, Ryan Mathews, Best, Marshall, - get some and then some more. The time is now, still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodden is visiting the Texans. There is no one on the FA market that can replace Bodden. No one in the draft either. Is there a solution to this?
On the first day of free agency, there were some rumblings that the Patriots were looking at Richard Marshall (who has a second-round tender), in case things fell apart with Bodden. Sounds like a very nice plan B, given their three second-round picks, but the best-case scenario is still resigning Bodden.

I don't think "angry Bill" is making moves because of me or people like me, lol. Are you just another Pats hater... or Boston hater?... trying to hide behind a pile of words?

My glass is half full and Super Bowl wins aren't flukes. Brady with a 12 year window?

Yes, they have to do the best they can with what's available and their drafting has been very poor in some cases. There has also been some bright spots too. And they have some youth. I realize Marshall is not realistic but Thomas Jones might be, a young Olsen might be. Edelman looked good, Welker is a question mark, Moss is getting up there, Tate could emerge.. etc. I don't think it would take too much to make the offense more dynamic and therefore a more likely Super Bowl contender. They were picked to be one last year. Aim high. That's optimism.

Let the TE hunting and gathering begin.

Get a rookie RB I can root for.

DL, LBs and maybe some OL.

If they draft WRs I hope they draft them late.

GordonGekko said:
I don't think it's exactly black and white. They should've won a 4th SB if the O-line could've given Brady a little time... shoulda coulda woulda. Add a guy or 2 to the D but concentrate on getting talent around Brady. Whoever, whatever it takes: Olsen, Ryan Mathews, Best, Marshall, - get some and then some more. The time is now, still.
You sound like a guy who just spent three days in bed with Jessica Alba but is still pissed she didn't hit up Megan Fox on the cell phone to double team you. It is that simple. If you want to build or sustain a dynasty, you have to draft extremely well. You think the Patriots or any other franchise is not trying to fill their roster with as much talent as possible? There is a reason why many free agents are "free agents" Occasionally a marquee guy will hit the FA arena, but usually the most valuable players are locked up before they hit the market. How many times has a massive influx of FAs meant a championship? How many times has the most marquee player on the market equaled a championship for his new team? Signing free agents en masse, esp the costly ones, don't happen in a vacuum.1) They create pressure to come in and succeed in a new system right away. By virtue of their contracts, they are difficult to bench even if their play is lackluster. 2) They take snaps from younger and cheaper players who may eventually break out. 3) They create acrimony in your locker room as the "new highly paid guy" makes all the other players wonder when their pay day is coming or if it ever will, esp if the new guy does not produce. 4) You cannot buy or force chemistry. The benefit of a Ravens or Colts is their homegrown players develop together within a cohesive system and they spend time in that system. The Dolphins literally "bought" an offensive line for Sparano, yet no one will instantly call them the most dominating line in the NFL. If you give or take 6-7 plays, just individual plays, you could argue that the Patriots could have won exactly ZERO championships. Be happy for the three you have. My take is if Brady has a 12 year total window, it's better if the Patriots have a good early run, then reload ( including your coaching staff) even if you struggle for a few years, and give him another solid 3-4 year run towards the back end of his career than to have that good early run and stagger along on that legacy and refuse to reload via the draft and then just turn into another version of the Redskins. Lots of GMs make silly moves or irrational moves because they have owners like you or listen to fans like you. Look at the Cowboys, they lost two sets of coordinators ( Turner, Wannstadt, Campo, Davis) and a crapload of players, esp linebackers and if they spend two years reloading post 95, they might have made the most out of the last few years of Aikman and Smith. Instead Jones chose to fill gaps and try to extend his run EACH year. I'm not a Patriots homer or hardcore fan, but I can see easily that when you win, you can do no wrong, and when you don't, you are just a POS period in Patriotsland. The only person you Bostonites don't seem to hate is David Ortiz, other than that, I think you guys might stone Santa Claus to death some day.Making moves for the sake of making moves to appease the public or the owner or an individual ego is justifying your job instead of doing your job. Angry Bill, no matter how many of you hate him or think he is a cheater, is doing his job. Could he do it better? Sure. But he's staying the course, for better or worse. Look at the franchises that matter, that have success, that are models of efficiency, they make a plan and they stay the course, no matter how bad things might look or get for the short term. Maybe Angry Bill should hire Big Papi as his new D coordinator, then some of you "half glass empty" Patriot fans can finally stop shelling Angry Bill for not being John Wooden.
Nice post here. Does bfred have the keys to Gekko alias this month?

GordonGekko said:
I don't think it's exactly black and white. They should've won a 4th SB if the O-line could've given Brady a little time... shoulda coulda woulda. Add a guy or 2 to the D but concentrate on getting talent around Brady. Whoever, whatever it takes: Olsen, Ryan Mathews, Best, Marshall, - get some and then some more. The time is now, still.
You sound like a guy who just spent three days in bed with Jessica Alba but is still pissed she didn't hit up Megan Fox on the cell phone to double team you. It is that simple. If you want to build or sustain a dynasty, you have to draft extremely well. You think the Patriots or any other franchise is not trying to fill their roster with as much talent as possible?

There is a reason why many free agents are "free agents" Occasionally a marquee guy will hit the FA arena, but usually the most valuable players are locked up before they hit the market. How many times has a massive influx of FAs meant a championship? How many times has the most marquee player on the market equaled a championship for his new team?

Signing free agents en masse, esp the costly ones, don't happen in a vacuum.

1) They create pressure to come in and succeed in a new system right away. By virtue of their contracts, they are difficult to bench even if their play is lackluster.

2) They take snaps from younger and cheaper players who may eventually break out.

3) They create acrimony in your locker room as the "new highly paid guy" makes all the other players wonder when their pay day is coming or if it ever will, esp if the new guy does not produce.

4) You cannot buy or force chemistry. The benefit of a Ravens or Colts is their homegrown players develop together within a cohesive system and they spend time in that system. The Dolphins literally "bought" an offensive line for Sparano, yet no one will instantly call them the most dominating line in the NFL.

If you give or take 6-7 plays, just individual plays, you could argue that the Patriots could have won exactly ZERO championships. Be happy for the three you have.

My take is if Brady has a 12 year total window, it's better if the Patriots have a good early run, then reload ( including your coaching staff) even if you struggle for a few years, and give him another solid 3-4 year run towards the back end of his career than to have that good early run and stagger along on that legacy and refuse to reload via the draft and then just turn into another version of the Redskins. Lots of GMs make silly moves or irrational moves because they have owners like you or listen to fans like you. Look at the Cowboys, they lost two sets of coordinators ( Turner, Wannstadt, Campo, Davis) and a crapload of players, esp linebackers and if they spend two years reloading post 95, they might have made the most out of the last few years of Aikman and Smith. Instead Jones chose to fill gaps and try to extend his run EACH year.

I'm not a Patriots homer or hardcore fan, but I can see easily that when you win, you can do no wrong, and when you don't, you are just a POS period in Patriotsland. The only person you Bostonites don't seem to hate is David Ortiz, other than that, I think you guys might stone Santa Claus to death some day.

Making moves for the sake of making moves to appease the public or the owner or an individual ego is justifying your job instead of doing your job. Angry Bill, no matter how many of you hate him or think he is a cheater, is doing his job. Could he do it better? Sure. But he's staying the course, for better or worse. Look at the franchises that matter, that have success, that are models of efficiency, they make a plan and they stay the course, no matter how bad things might look or get for the short term.

Maybe Angry Bill should hire Big Papi as his new D coordinator, then some of you "half glass empty" Patriot fans can finally stop shelling Angry Bill for not being John Wooden.
In general, this post is right on. The turn over in the front office and coaching staff has hurt as much as poor player acquisition and or chemistry. In aggregate their have been too many poor decisions and defections to keep this team in the elite class. Brady cannot do it alone. It's great to have a face of the franchise but this can sometimes lead to a false sense of security. That's why the "offseason" is so important. Belichick has not found the Phifer's, Vrabel's and Harrison's in free agency instead giving the team the Thomas's, Beisel's, Delthea O'Neil's and Joey Galloway's. Poor FA pickups coupled with some weak drafts have left the team wanting for playmakers on both sides of the ball. Schemes and solid QB play can only do so much. There is a reason the Steelers have 6 Super Bowls and have remained competitive across the decades; that is not to say they haven't had their ups and downs and moments of "fan" dis-interest/anger. The Kraft's are committed owners and the team has made some mistakes. We have to hope they have learned from them and can move forward and stay competitive with the elites of the NFL.

A 10-6 team that was destroyed in the playoffs losing it's best corner is a recipe for disaster. If Bodden leaves today it's bad news friends. Butler/Wilhite could be scorched earth.

Patriots | Interested in Douglas

Mon, 08 Mar 2010 KKFL

Ian Rapoport, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots are expressing interest in unrestricted free-agent DE Marques Douglas (Jets).

A 10-6 team that was destroyed in the playoffs losing it's best corner is a recipe for disaster. If Bodden leaves today it's bad news friends. Butler/Wilhite could be scorched earth.
While Bodden was better than many of the recent DB's Belichick has brought in the team needs more than him to improve on the back end. I would like to see him come back though.

Patriots | Crumpler appears to be visiting

Mon, 08 Mar 2010 - KFFL

Ian Rapoport, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots apparently

will be meeting with unrestricted free-agent TE Alge Crumpler (Titans) Monday, March 8.

While Bodden was better than many of the recent DB's Belichick has brought in the team needs more than him to improve on the back end. I would like to see him come back though.
I agree. And losing him makes it worse.

Patriots re-sign top corner Leigh Bodden

Patriots re-signed CB Leigh Bodden.

He used the Texans as leverage, apparently to up the Patriots' offer, and New England bit. Bodden, 28, has 12 picks and an impressive 43 pass breakups over the last three seasons. While not a true shutdown force, Bodden can make plays on the ball, is an above average tackler, and was easily the Pats' best corner a season ago. He'll be locked into a starting job for 2010. Mar. 8 - 7:57 pm et

Source: Mike Lombardi on Twitter

Patriots re-sign top corner Leigh Bodden Patriots re-signed CB Leigh Bodden.He used the Texans as leverage, apparently to up the Patriots' offer, and New England bit. Bodden, 28, has 12 picks and an impressive 43 pass breakups over the last three seasons. While not a true shutdown force, Bodden can make plays on the ball, is an above average tackler, and was easily the Pats' best corner a season ago. He'll be locked into a starting job for 2010. Mar. 8 - 7:57 pm etSource: Mike Lombardi on Twitter
Excellent news. :lmao:

Yep he was essential. Now CB can drop down the list for draft needs. I would still make a play at another CB though (Marlin Jackson). I'm very much in the anti-Wilhite/Wheatley camp.

Yep he was essential. Now CB can drop down the list for draft needs. I would still make a play at another CB though (Marlin Jackson). I'm very much in the anti-Wilhite/Wheatley camp.
Wheatley hasn't been on the field enough to make a judgment. He looked good two seasons ago before he got hurt and fell off this past year. You shouldn't be so quick to give up on second round picks. Wilhite will be ok as a nickel/dime guy.

Wheatley hasn't been on the field enough to make a judgment. He looked good two seasons ago before he got hurt and fell off this past year. You shouldn't be so quick to give up on second round picks. Wilhite will be ok as a nickel/dime guy.
Totally agree with Wheatley. We haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment.

You might want to get the Belichick hotline number then since he let Wheatley live on the inactive list. I guess you can hope for production from Wheatley, Wilhite and Crable but as of now I have their bust value much higher than their productive value.

You might want to get the Belichick hotline number then since he let Wheatley live on the inactive list. I guess you can hope for production from Wheatley, Wilhite and Crable but as of now I have their bust value much higher than their productive value.
cool....

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/free-agent...-with-patriots/

This story has me puzzled...

Is Bodden indeed still a Patriot? Is a deal signed? Says he stayed with New England but I can't find any confirmation elsewhere.

It would be great news for us and maybe a sign that the strategy of neglecting to dish out big contracts the first few days of free-agency is indeed working.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/free-agent...-with-patriots/

This story has me puzzled...

Is Bodden indeed still a Patriot? Is a deal signed? Says he stayed with New England but I can't find any confirmation elsewhere.

It would be great news for us and maybe a sign that the strategy of neglecting to dish out big contracts the first few days of free-agency is indeed working.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4977828Usually I don't answer my own posts but I found something on this. It appears to be an agreement in principle although no contract has yet been signed.

Well, Reiss is the one saying an oral argreement has been reached. The Boston Globe is saying Bidden hasn't made a final decision yet but is expected to make one by tomorrow. He was scheduled to visit SEA but looks like that isn't going to happen. He also appears to have spoken to PIT. Bottom line, at this moment it doesn't look like he has signed a new deal with NE (although I think he will).

Here's what Bodden's agent tweeted . . .

"Reports of Leigh Bodden re-signing with the Patriots are not true and pre-mature at best. Leigh is still evaluating his options."

"Leigh has always indicated his desire to return to New England but nothing is official and probably will not be until 2mrw at the earliest."

they will draft an rb with one of their first 2 picks, mark it down!
I would guess they would consider drafting Ryan Matthews of Fresno State if they can get him. They did pretty well with Logan Mankins and James Sanders as Fresno alums. Spiller will most likely be off the board already. I think a lot will depend on who falls to them as to what position they will attack first.If they use all their first 4 picks (1 first, 3 seconds), I would guess they will look at pass rushing OLB/DE, DB, RB, TE, and OL (in any order). I don't think that they will go WR early as I think the Pats have already invested some early picks that didn't pan out as receivers and they have bigger fish to fry now. Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and a yearly free agent signing is a decent nucleus (admittedly with questions).Of course, they love to trade picks and have not made much noise in free agency, so a trade or two could happen before or during the draft (of other picks or for a player).

Thomas Jones seems like a perfect fit right now.

I would sign him yesterday and let either Morris or Freddy go.

Thomas Jones seems like a perfect fit right now.I would sign him yesterday and let either Morris or Freddy go.
I would tend to disagree as already mentioned earlier as to whether this is a good direction and strategy. The Pats need to get younger not older. NE does not have the run blocking line that the Jets do. Jones wore down as the year progressed and was ineffective in the post season. Jones will be 32 by opening day. With the mindset of brining in veterans in their 30s, collectively NE has gotten a lot slower and a lot easier to push around. I think a guy here or a guy there is ok, but when you start loading up and relying on guys clearly with limited time left in the league you are looking for trouble.I also don't think Jones would be a huge upgrade over Sammy Morris (if Morris could stay healthy). I realize Jones' durability may be his biggest selling point at this point, but Morris has been effective when he's played. His total line over that time has been 314 carries, 1,430 rushing yards, 4.55 ypc, 12 rushing TD.I don't know what Jones is looking for money wise, but I'm guessing NE might be better served spending that money elsewhere.

Bodden apparently finally has signed. Five years at $28.5 million with $10 million guaranteed.
Definitely a good move on Bodden's part to turn down the Patriots multi year deal last off-season in favor of the one year. I would venture to guess he may have doubled his total contract value. Good for him. :lmao:

GordonGekko said:
I don't think "angry Bill" is making moves because of me or people like me, lol. Are you just another Pats hater... or Boston hater?... trying to hide behind a pile of words?

My glass is half full and Super Bowl wins aren't flukes. Brady with a 12 year window?

Yes, they have to do the best they can with what's available and their drafting has been very poor in some cases. There has also been some bright spots too. And they have some youth. I realize Marshall is not realistic but Thomas Jones might be, a young Olsen might be. Edelman looked good, Welker is a question mark, Moss is getting up there, Tate could emerge.. etc. I don't think it would take too much to make the offense more dynamic and therefore a more likely Super Bowl contender. They were picked to be one last year. Aim high. That's optimism.

I don't think it's exactly black and white. They should've won a 4th SB if the O-line could've given Brady a little time... shoulda coulda woulda. But that team was a passing machine, faltering toward the playoffs. They won another with Antoine Smith. They should get a better running game but surrounding Brady with quality wideouts is another way to get there. My worry with Belichick is a possible arrogance when it comes to his staff... or himself. At times last year the play calling and game planning was supect to say the least and cost them a couple games imo. I think some of the coaching decisions helped to erode confidence as well. Brady got crappy TE play, no 3rd receiver, lax play from Moss towards the end, crap play calls, AND poor rb consistency... all inter-related with the uncreative play calling. In this day and age, I think a team can and needs to be flexible, be able to get it done through the air as well as ground, at least to a point ala: Saints and Colts. If the Pats want to win another SBowl in this 5-7 year window left with Brady they should sell out and just surround him with as much freakin' talent as they possibly can. Add a guy or 2 to the D but concentrate on getting talent around Brady. Whoever, whatever it takes: Olsen, Ryan Mathews, Best, Marshall, - get some and then some more. The time is now, still.
Your glass is half full but they should have won a 4th ring?

You demand that they do something to get Brady talent and suggest Marshall along with others and then you say Marshall isn't realistic?

They need to get Brady some better wideouts but then you say Edelman looks good and Tate might emerge?

You say it won't take much to get the offense to be more "dynamic" but then to get talent, to get "some, and then some more"?

Aim high and have optimism but the play calling sucks and Angry Bill is too arrogant?

Because you clearly have flaws in your logic ( i.e. you contradict yourself) then someone who disagrees with you is a Patriots hater?

You say the Patriots should grab this guy or that guy ( like a typical homerrific armchair GM) but you don't discuss

1) How much will the player cost in possible draft compensation?

2) How much will the player cost in possible trade compensation?

3) How much will the player cost in salary?

4) Will the player fit into their existing system?

5) Does the player have the football IQ needed and is he able to work himself into the Patriots team concept?

6) Is he a risk for suspension or other off field problems inherent with many NFL players?

7) How many prime years does that player have left?

8) Does the player have preexisting injuries?

9) Does the player trend past his peak for his position and age given his production?

10) How will said player impact team chemistry in a positive or negative way?

11) Is the current draft rich in talent in that particular position?

12) Is there anyone on the current roster who can fill the role in house?

You say they aren't far from a legitimate Super Bowl contender but then go ahead and say their running game is busted, they don't have any reliable WRs left, their coach is arrogant and their playcalling blows.

Make up your mind which side you want to be on. Like I said, homers and fans like you only make it harder for other NE fans on here to not look like a bunch of raving impulsive fanatics. I'm not a Patriots homer, I neither love nor hate them, but how they conduct their business is a model to watch in terms of what franchises might or might not want to do to be competitive.

The best thing and worst thing about Angry Bill is he doesn't care what anyone thinks, he doesn't care what I think, he doesn't care what you think, he doesn't care what Yudkin thinks, he does what he thinks he needs to do to win. Be a GM in your armchair if you want, but at least show some semblance of an effort at your reasoning why the Patriots should make X move or Y move.
Dude, go outside and mix in a little fresh air! Are you a Lions fan? lol I read a bit of your post... I already said that Thomas Jones would be good, an RB early in the draft (MARONEY HASN"T BEEN VERY CONSISTENT- DIDN"T RESIGN FAULK), A TE (DON"T REALLY HAVE ONE EXCEPT MAYBE FELLS NOW), another WR to compliment Moss and Edelman (WELKER IS HURT-LACK DEPTH)-("...maybe Brandon Tate will emerge."), maybe drafting Golden Tate... signing Bodden is GOOD (NEED A DEPENDABLE CORNER, TACKLER)... Did I ever say they were perfect, no problem at all? Your reasoning is so lame it's like saying "Hey, Colston looks real good, let's cut Meachum and Moore." No, no team is perfect. Should I throw in the towel? boo-hoo. We don't do that up here. I predict the Pats will win the SUPER BOWL. Wicked pissa!

Dude, go outside and mix in a little fresh air! Are you a Lions fan? lol I read a bit of your post... I already said that Thomas Jones would be good, an RB early in the draft (MARONEY HASN"T BEEN VERY CONSISTENT- DIDN"T RESIGN FAULK), A TE (DON"T REALLY HAVE ONE EXCEPT MAYBE FELLS NOW), another WR to compliment Moss and Edelman (WELKER IS HURT-LACK DEPTH)-("...maybe Brandon Tate will emerge."), maybe drafting Golden Tate... signing Bodden is GOOD (NEED A DEPENDABLE CORNER, TACKLER)... Did I ever say they were perfect, no problem at all? Your reasoning is so lame it's like saying "Hey, Colston looks real good, let's cut Meachum and Moore." No, no team is perfect. Should I throw in the towel? boo-hoo. We don't do that up here. I predict the Pats will win the SUPER BOWL. Wicked pissa!
Relax. It's a Patriots fan with an alias playing the role of a non-Patriots fan.

Totally agree with Wheatley. We haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment.
It's extremely difficult to believe that there's not a good reason we didn't see much of Wheatley last season. It's not like he had an army of Pro Bowlers ahead of him on the depth chart.

Breaking down Wilfork's deal

Posted by Albert Breer March 9, 2010 10:35 PM

Now that all is said and done on Vince Wilfork's big deal with the Patriots, we can take a look at the hard numbers and how they work out to $40 million over the next five years.

What's apparent here is that there isn't a whole lot of fluff in this contract, the way there is in a whole lot of other ones around the league. So here it is, as reported to the NFLPA:

SIGNING BONUS

$18 million

BASE SALARIES ($20.015 Million)

2010: $750,000*

2011: $765,000*

2012: $4.5 Million*

2013: $6.5 Million

2014: $7.5 Million

* -- guaranteed

WEIGHT BONUSES ($1.185 Million)

2010: $150,000

2011: $135,000

2012: $300,000

2013: $300,000

2014: $300,000

WORKOUT BONUSES ($800,000)

2010: $100,000

2011: $100,000

2012: $200,000

2013: $200,000

2014: $200,000

Add it all up and it comes to $40 million, on the nose. No escalators or hard-to-reach incentives. Simply put, if Vince plays out this deal, makes weight, and shows up for the offseason program, he stands to earn every last penny on his new deal, which expires a little ways after his 33rd birthday.

And believe it or not, his earning power might not be gone at that point, either. Consider that the Dolphins just re-upped Jason Ferguson, even though he'll turn 36 next year and is facing an eight-game suspension. Or the fact that the Patriots started 35-year-old nose tackles on their last two Super Bowl champions (Ted Washington in 2003, and Keith Traylor in 2004). These guys last longer than people may lead you to believe, and the reason why is simple, and even more poignant now with more teams running the 3-4: The big, stout, sturdy nose tackle isn't very easy to find.

After seeing that I'm now very interested in Bodden's 2011 salary. 2011 is generally thought to be a monster FA class. Vince is being paid pennies ($1 million with bonuses made). If this is the case it would be smart to get Brady's deal done this off-season instead of next. Pay the bonus now. Although Kraft's retort might be that they are freeing up money in 2011 to have money to pay Brady's bonus in 2011.

NE signed LB Marques Murrell formerly of the Jets.
I like this.
Hmmm.. Well, he's a decent ST player. Possible backup depth.
It's a lower level signing but I think he'll be a solid ST player as he's shown in the past.He also may get a shot at more playing time in the 3-4 scheme.
It may be time to move beyond Woods and Alexander too. I am not sure what limitations their contracts may have in terms of cutting them if others step up but they haven't proven to be very effective part time or every down players at their designated positions.

Users who are viewing this thread