What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**OFFICIAL** New York Mets (5 Viewers)

Can't say I'm too upset that we didn't get Bauer. Definitely don't think he was worth what we offered or what  LA offered him. 

Can't say I'm too upset that we didn't get Bauer. Definitely don't think he was worth what we offered or what  LA offered him. 
I really wanted Bauer, but the price tag was huge, and in the end he wanted to play at home. While I’m disappointed, the fact that the Mets have actually been in on the bidding for top FAs is amazing! 

We still need a SP.  deGrom, Stroman, Carrasco, Peterson, Luchese (Until Thor returns) is fine, but little depth. At least this puts Lugo back to reliever where he belongs.

Signed Almora today, who gives us a good 4th OF and strong defensively, but this guy is just Juan Lagares with a different name. (FYI- Lagares has been tearing it up in the Dominican Winter League- he’ll be a strong 4th OF or possibly higher for someone if he can keep his offensive numbers going)

with no ruling yet on DH, it looks like we have to keep Nimmo in CF, with Dom Smith in LF. 

I’d still like to see Davis packaged for Kris Bryant to solidify 3B.

Hopefully not overpaying on some of these big names allows us to extend Lindo and Conforto. Maybe front load the deals a but to this year in order to free up $$ for the next two years when we have to continue to eat the Canoe deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mets and Lindor supposedly off by 2 years and $60 Mil. I think the Mets have a strong offer at 10 years 325, don’t like the additional 2 years that Lindor is looking for, but would rather land him now then wait and play the market next year when owners have more available $$$ and there may be bidding wars with other SS hitting FA.

Hoping they can finalize Lindor then negotiate with Conforto during the season, but I don’t have high hopes since Conforto is with Scott Boras.

As for players under contract, I really think that Tijuan Walker is going to shine this year. He may end up being our 2nd best SP.

the lack of DH this year hurts our defense, as we have to find ways to shoehorn Dom Smith into the field to get his bat in our lineup. Alonso looks very strong, glad to see he deleted all social media and just concentrated on baseball this spring. McNeil was in a funk this spring (although getting hit by pitch 7 (!) times during spring), but I have faith in him. JD was ok at 3rd, enough to make me comfortable with him going into tge season, but I expect Guillorme to be a frequent defensive replacement.

Thor already throwing 97 in TH tehab makes me smile, and hoping Carrasco doesn’t have any more setbacks. Our SP could be amazing by mid-July, allowing Luchessi to shift into an opener or long reliever role to bolster our bullpen. Diaz looks strong, I think Trevor May is very underrated. Familia and Bentances not so much. Gonna need to hold on for dear life in late innings until Lugo returns.

LFGM

Mets and Lindor supposedly off by 2 years and $60 Mil. I think the Mets have a strong offer at 10 years 325, don’t like the additional 2 years that Lindor is looking for, but would rather land him now then wait and play the market next year when owners have more available $$$ and there may be bidding wars with other SS hitting FA.

Hoping they can finalize Lindor then negotiate with Conforto during the season, but I don’t have high hopes since Conforto is with Scott Boras.
10 years $341 Mil for Lindor. (Actually 11 at 363 since it doesn’t kick in until after this year’s 22 mil contract). Better than the 12/385 that he was reportedly seeking, and it supposedly includes some deferred $$, but I like that it ended up being a negotiation at the end. Cohen has cash, but stuck with his “not going to spend like a drunken sailor” idea. 

now we can move on to Opening Day!

10 years $341 Mil for Lindor. (Actually 11 at 363 since it doesn’t kick in until after this year’s 22 mil contract). Better than the 12/385 that he was reportedly seeking, and it supposedly includes some deferred $$, but I like that it ended up being a negotiation at the end. Cohen has cash, but stuck with his “not going to spend like a drunken sailor” idea. 

now we can move on to Opening Day!
opening day is closed

It isn’t always pretty, but it sure is exciting right now. The Bench Mob of Pillar, Villar, Nido, and now Mazeika are getting things done for the Mets right now, and our pitching is amazingly strong. Looking forward to having a healthy rotation anf adding Lugo and Syndergaard back into the mix.

DeGrom in and out of the rotation. Syndergaard,Lugo and Carrasco haven't thrown a pitch all season. Davis has been out. McNeil is out. They're at or near the bottom of the league in slugging percentage. Lindor just realized the season has started. And they're winning. I like this team.

I’ll be in Tampa  Friday night for the game. Peterson on the bump, hoping to see the winning streak continue. 

Well, so far we’ve taken the first two against the Braves with our AAA squad. The attitude is carrying us, and we will get healthier. 

And if you didn’t catch Tommy Hunter’s post game interview last night- heres a 34 year old vet feeling like a 12 year old little leaguer. Tommy Hunter

Well, so far we’ve taken the first two against the Braves with our AAA squad. The attitude is carrying us, and we will get healthier. 

And if you didn’t catch Tommy Hunter’s post game interview last night- heres a 34 year old vet feeling like a 12 year old little leaguer. Tommy Hunter
Saw that yesterday. Love it and the shirt!

They got some characters on this team.

met OFs tonite have been jake hager, cameron maybin, johneshwy fargas and khalil lee.  this is like the phillip evans ERA.  who was that stiff that played LF and always hit 5th a couple of years ago, before cespedes?

deGrom did a rehab start for low A Port St. Lucie tonight, and the twitter account for his opponent gets a W. Palm Beach Cardinals twitter 😂

Jacob deGrom is throwing 102 MPH...

Someone send help.

Oh thank god, they took him out.

Now it’s our time to shine. 

That was… something?! Mets get the win in 12. Two guys (Hager and Lee) get their first MLB hit in the top of the 12th to win it. Amazing.

It always annoyed me that under the score in the top left corner on SNY broadcasts, they would keep the pitcher and his pitch count. Is that really that important? They could show it occasionally and I like seeing the speed of the pitch but they should have the batter's name up there too. Now, with so many new players, I'd like to see the name even more since I have no idea WTF some of these players are just by looking at them at the plate.

#firstworldproblems

That was… something?! Mets get the win in 12. Two guys (Hager and Lee) get their first MLB hit in the top of the 12th to win it. Amazing.
I can't remember ever seeing anything like this. It's not sustainable, imo but it's fun to watch and really sets up a good run once the regulars are back. Having all these guys contributing at any given time will be huge during the dog days of summer.

17 players on IL! What is it? The water? The NEW training staff? Just bad luck?

Tomas Nido is the leading hitter right now. Marcus Stroman,going into last night on a 4 game losing streak,is the top starter.

No one has even noticed Familia and Diaz are lights out right now.

The St. Lucie Mets have a better starting staff right now than the big club.

It's still early,but our guy is manager of the year right now.

Lindor may not be hitting well but his defense has been excellent and he seems to be a real clubhouse leader. He remains upbeat and always smiling. He could easily be one of those pouting superstars, upset with himself, but I think his attitude has played a big part in the total team success so far.

So Alonso and Lugo being activated today is not surprising. Kevin Pillar being activated today, after what- 2 weeks? Since taking 95mph to the face? 

@jamnysaid above that Lindor’s attitude is a big reason for the team’s success, and while I don’t disagree that it’s helped, I think the veteran Pillar just became the team motivational leader. (Think 2019 Todd Frazier- but Pillar can hit)

The Athletic has a story about the best walk-up music of all-time.

In the comment section, a lot of Met homers say the exclusion of Cliff Floyd walking up to the Sanford & Son theme song was egregious and unforgivable.

I had no idea Cliff Floyd used that as his walk-up song. I agree with Mets homers. 

Kumar Rocker falling to the Mets with the 10th pick would’ve never happened under the Wilpons. (Yes, i know they have nothing to do with each other. But I also know that the dark clouds over this organization are finally lifting) 

LFGM

Welp… that sucked. Some quick thoughts going into the off season-

-Rojas is now gone. i do think he will be a good manager at some point, but he wasn’t ready last year when he got called into it to replace Beltran. Someone had to pay for the way this season went. 
- While I think Baez is a great player, I don’t think he should be a priority. McNeil had a down season, but I think he’s adequate to put at 2B and he’s under team control and cheap.

- i think we need to spend money on starting pitching. Bring back Stro, Qualifying Offer to Syndergaard. Add another top end starter. MeGill and Peterson are young and cheep, can be depth on the back end of the rotation. I also think Rich Hill can be brought back, he isn’t blowing anything past hitters but he was pretty consistent. 
- Aaron Loup needs to be brought back. 
- Lugo was a shell of himself after the injury in spring training, and showed no signs of improvement. He’s gone imo.

-I think you can bring back Conforto on a short term “prove it” deal. 1 year, 16 mil. This gets us a chance to re- visit after 2022, and also keeps us from having to sign a big money deal.

- Cano is back on our books next year. (Uggh). 24 mil for 2022 and 2023. I honestly would rather they come to a buyout number, but hey, we can always use a bat. If he still has anything left at his age and off the juice.

- Nimmo and Alonso both played great defense this year, along with the most consistent offense on the team. I’m good with Nimmo back in CF next year.

Above all else, we need a long term solution to our front office and manager roles. It would also be nice if they are not rapey alcoholics. 🤷‍♂️

Stroman to the Cubs. Not terribly upset.
Love his talent, and competitive attitude on the field. His social media, not so much. But, would have been a great 3 behind Jake and Max.

eta- now this is funny: 

The funniest part about Marcus Stroman breaking the news of his own signing is that he blocked half of Twitter so barely anyone even saw it.

Back in business - next signing?
Lots of talk about Rodon, and we absolutely need another lefty. I don’t see us in on Bryant or Freeman, Schwarber would be nice but his $$$ went up with all the DH spots now added.. It will be interesting to see if Dom/JD get dealt. I want to see McNeil back with us, I think a new staff can get him back to free swinging instead of trying to pull eve.

Users who are viewing this thread