What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (1 Viewer)

Well if that article is accurate it must be the players that are lacking. If tOSU and LSU want Mike stoops they Misty see something in him that most people haven't seen recently. Bo Pelini as a coach would be good I think?

Well if that article is accurate it must be the players that are lacking. If tOSU and LSU want Mike stoops they Misty see something in him that most people haven't seen recently. Bo Pelini as a coach would be good I think?
He's the head coach at Youngstown State :mellow:

What needs to change is the players they are getting. They simply don't have enough good ones, and the amount of guys they've put in the NFL lately us proof.
More like better coaches. They still have top 20 recruiting classes, no?
Yes. According to Rivals OU is 17 for 2015 with only 18 commits. It was 15, 15, 11, 14 & 7 the last 5 years

One of the most telling comments this year--and when I lost any respect I had left for Mike--was when he claimed after the Baylor disaster that Baylor just had better players than OU. Give me a ####### break. During the last 5 years Baylor's best rank was 31.

Weird that Norvell and Heupel were fired 36 hours apart.

Interested to see the short list on possible replacements, but hopefully they grab someone who can handle QBs and someone creative. Look what Sonny Cumbie did at TCU in just one year, need to think outside the box here.

An interesting note to get us started, I was told that Jason Candle flew out of Oklahoma City this morning. Unfortunately that’s all I was told. But as I noted yesterday, and will note again below, OU is trying to make a decision quickly. So it would be no surprise if Candle was in town for an interview.

– Yesterday, Andrew Gilman of Fox Sports reported that the Oklahoma coaching staff met with TCU co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie. Gilman was not sure, however, whether an offer was extended to Cumbie.

– Our own Brandon Drake (@TheDrakeTFB) spoke to a very well placed source regarding any potential interest in Cumbie and while he could not confirm when or where the interview took place, he was able to confirm Cumbie has, in fact, been interviewed by Oklahoma.

– Brandon also confirmed that Cumbie has not yet been offered the job. However, he was told that Cumbie would likely find out one way or the other as early as the “next few days.”

– Brandon also confirmed that the interest in Cumbie is for an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach position. However none of us have yet been able to confirm whether a “co-” would precede his title and an additional OC would be brought in to actually call plays. We do, however, suspect this would be the case.

– We have also been told that if offered the position, it is highly likely Cumbie would accept.

– We have also been told, in general terms, that with these changes Bob Stoops is looking make are with the intention to “change the culture” inside the program. We didn’t get clarification on what that meant exactly, but Cumbie and I have a mutual friend (former player that played with Cumbie at Tech back in the early 2000’s) and a few mutual acquaintances. And I can tell you that Cumbie is a great recruiter. He does something that I have long criticized certain OU coaches for not doing enough of, he networks. He gets to know the right people and is very well liked.

– I personally think if Cumbie was brought in as a co-offensive coordinator/QB coach it would be a great hire. From everything I’ve heard, he would bring a great energy and recruiting presence to OU. Additionally, Cumbie has coached both wide receivers and quarterbacks in the past and has been successful doing both.

If OU wants to bring in guy who can instantly help the passing game, he seems like a great fit. What he did with Trevone Boykin this past season was nothing short of amazing. If you think back to my OU vs. TCU preview, I didn’t think the Horned Frogs had much of a chance. Primarily because I simply didn’t believe Boykin was capable of making the kind of jump he obviously did in 2014. For me, personally, that went a long way towards putting me in the camp who would be happy to see Cumbie brought in.

– We have previously noted that OU had reached out to the other co-offensive coordinator/play caller at TCU, Doug Meacham. We are still trying to discern just how serious that interest is on both sides, or how far the talks between the two may or may not have progressed. It might be interesting to see a guy like Cumbie paired with a coordinator who runs a balanced attack with roots in the running game.

– Also wanted to note that back in the early 2000’s, when Cumbie and my buddy played for Texas Tech, Bill Bedenbaugh was a GA on that same staff.

– Have also been told there could very likely be another potential coaching candidate brought in later today as there have been preparations made around the football offices suggesting as such.

– One quick final note related to things on the offensive side of the ball. Oregon’s Scott Frost is a name that many of been quick to throw out, while just as many it would seem have been equally as quick to dismiss as being unrealistic. Well, based on some of what we’ve heard the talk is legitimate. Now whether that means OU could actually convince him to come to Norman, we definitely could not say. But the talk is real based on what we’ve been told.

– Wanted to also add that I have been told that there are still a lot of people inside the program that expect to see coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball. I personally want to see it happen in a big way. If it doesn’t happen, I think it would be an incredible disappointment for a number of reasons.

- UPDATE (1:29pm): There are now multiple reports out this afternoon that OU could have some interest in former Sooner and current Louisville assistant, Garrick McGee. No way to know at this time if their interest in McGee is any more serious than any of the other candidates believed to being considered, or if this is simply more of a token interview type of deal (assuming an interview even does happen at some point). So not a ton of meat on this bone per se, but just wanted to keep you apprised of the latest.

– Wanted to also add that I have been told that there are still a lot of people inside the program that expect to see coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball. I personally want to see it happen in a big way. If it doesn’t happen, I think it would be an incredible disappointment for a number of reasons.
Most important part of the article

Last edited by a moderator:
OU not getting the "splash" I was hoping for, but maybe this guy http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-hires-ecus-riley-offensive-coordinator-235919809--ncaaf.html can save the Sooners.
East Carolina's offense was pretty fun to watch this past year, but probably a little pass-heavy for my liking. Seems like a pretty decent hire, hungry mid-major guys are fine by me. Also he was at Techa Tech.
Yep, studied under the Mad Pirate.

OU not getting the "splash" I was hoping for, but maybe this guy http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-hires-ecus-riley-offensive-coordinator-235919809--ncaaf.html can save the Sooners.
East Carolina's offense was pretty fun to watch this past year, but probably a little pass-heavy for my liking. Seems like a pretty decent hire, hungry mid-major guys are fine by me. Also he was at Techa Tech.
FWIW, local radio guys say they expect him to be more Holgorsen than Leach and run the ball a fair amount, at least more than he did at East Carolina.

FWIW, local radio guys say they expect him to be more Holgorsen than Leach and run the ball a fair amount, at least more than he did at East Carolina.
He better with Perine and Mixon (hopefully).

He better with Perine and Mixon (hopefully).
Plus Ford and Ross, easily the deepest position on the team.

I liked the focus of the recruiting class: WR, DL, OL and a kicker who kicked a 70 yard fg. Stealing Rodney Anderson from TAMU doesn't hurt either.

Nice. It was pretty disappointing how little attention any of the other sports got at OU. Football and basketball were pretty much all that we knew existed.

I watched a volleyball game and a baseball game, I think that was it. That was the year the baseball team won the title with the Minor twins.

Nice. It was pretty disappointing how little attention any of the other sports got at OU. Football and basketball were pretty much all that we knew existed.

I watched a volleyball game and a baseball game, I think that was it. That was the year the baseball team won the title with the Minor twins.
Yeah, I went to baseball games and wrestling meets too. But I knew a bunch of hardcore wrestlers.

Tick said:
That palace phrase wasn't around when I was there 92-96. As a grumpy old man, I don't like it.
Yeah, I don't really like any of them. Never liked the there's only 1 thing
It's a little tough to get creative, considering how conservative OU is. OU DNA was another concept that was rejected.

The Stripe the Stadium game is impressive though...not easy to execute.

Tick said:
That palace phrase wasn't around when I was there 92-96. As a grumpy old man, I don't like it.
Yeah, I don't really like any of them. Never liked the there's only 1 thing
It's a little tough to get creative, considering how conservative OU is. OU DNA was another concept that was rejected.

The Stripe the Stadium game is impressive though...not easy to execute.
Hate it!

National analyst: Texas is top coaching job in college football; Oklahoma, Texas A&M among ‘next best’
Teams Nos. 6-14 earned “The Next Best” label, which is defined as “Not quite elite, but not far from it. In many cases, programs that could creep toward — or inside — the top five in the future.” Haney puts Oklahoma in this group at No. 9, just behind Georgia and ahead of Notre Dame.

“[bob] Stoops has continued to win 10 or 11 games a season, but perhaps new blood would hit ‘reset’ on the program’s stalled momentum. And if a new coach took over tomorrow, he’d find a talent- and resource-rich environment, a program primed to again win big. Despite underachieving seasons in 2011 and 2014, Oklahoma is far from broken.”

Oklahoma’s biggest asset is its strong recruiting base in Oklahoma and Texas, and that’s something that isn’t going away. While OU is improving its program to compete with others, Haney thinks there’s room to grow for the Sooners.

“OU’s stadium and facilities are above average, certainly among the best in the Big 12, but the school isn’t standing pat while everyone else in the region upgrades. The board last summer approved a $350 million to $400 million plan that includes enhancing the football complex and closing in the stadium’s south end zone. The John Blake dark ages aren’t returning anytime soon, but someone could do more at Oklahoma than Stoops is presently. Even Stoops’ friends have hinted that that’s true.”

Well the new offense after 3 series is looking a little sloppy against the powerhouse Akron.
Turned out pretty well. Only 100 yards rushing but the 76 yard pass to Mixon was basically a run. Way to overreact after three offensive series to open the season. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread