What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

To get a sense of what Pirate fans and columnists think of the Bucs' offseason, especially NH's remarks that the team is in great shape:http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31055-huntington-were-in-a-great-spot
Yup they're only a few pieces away. It's depressing being a fan of this team while a team like the Marlins goes nuts.

Bucs: Pirates Acquire Yamaico Navarro

By: Chris Gates

December 8, 2011 6:04 AM

(93-7 The FAN) — The Pittsburgh Pirates traded with Kansas City for infielder Yamaico Navarro Wednesday evening.

In turn, the Pirates traded away minor league pitcher Brooks Pounders and infielder Diego Goris.

Navarro, 24, played in 36 major league games with the Boston Red Sox and six with the Royals last season. He hit .206 in the big leagues and .264 with seven home runs in the minors.

The Pirates are expected to make a move with their 40-man roster Thursday to compensate for the trade.

:mellow:

A .206 hitter. Just what the Bucs needed!

The Pirates season hinges on Pedro Alvarez. Guy has all the talent in the world but what appears a terrible work ethic, coupled with a poor attitude. If he shows up, and works on his game, the lineup falls into place.

The Pirates season hinges on Pedro Alvarez. Guy has all the talent in the world but what appears a terrible work ethic, coupled with a poor attitude. If he shows up, and works on his game, the lineup falls into place.
He's not that good

He's not that good
I am leaning towards that way of thinking. Looked like a guy who could hit .275 with 35 homers and 100 rbis, solid middle of the order bat. But he doesn't put in the work in the offseason, then pouts during the season. It's too bad for Pirates fans.

He's not that good
I am leaning towards that way of thinking. Looked like a guy who could hit .275 with 35 homers and 100 rbis, solid middle of the order bat. But he doesn't put in the work in the offseason, then pouts during the season. It's too bad for Pirates fans.
Everything is too bad for Pirates fans, starting with the owners.Off topic I know, but does anyone believe Ryan Braun will serve a 50 game suspension? Also, where can some Pirates get PEDs?

He's not that good
When has he pouted? And he seemed to put in a lot of work last off-season and I thought by all accounts he had a pretty good attitude. He just swings too hard at too many pitches. This kind of thinking is what gets Aramis Ramirez traded for a bag of chips.

He's not that good
When has he pouted? And he seemed to put in a lot of work last off-season and I thought by all accounts he had a pretty good attitude. He just swings too hard at too many pitches. This kind of thinking is what gets Aramis Ramirez traded for a bag of chips.
:goodposting: I agree with this guy. Give Pedro a little time. If you need some inspiration, just look at Alex Gordon in KC. People wrote him off as dead because expectations were too high too soon.

The Brewers must not be sold on Casey McGehee to send him to the Bucs for Veras. And, of course, the price is right as far as the Pirates go, since McGahee is supposed to earn what? 3 million this season? All reports are he's a good guy, and only 29 yrs old.

Well, McGehee has had some success and shows power despite regressing last year. They weren't getting a Cuddyer or Willingham anyway, so what the heck. Whatever. Looks like a lot of new players. Wonder who is going to be shipped out so that the MLB salary for the team stays under $50 mil.

He's not that good
:goodposting: I've never heard of any issues with his work ethic. Unfortunately he may just not be as good as he was hyped up. Time will tell.

He's not that good
:goodposting: I've never heard of any issues with his work ethic. Unfortunately he may just not be as good as he was hyped up. Time will tell.
He has to improve a lot against lefties to even be an every day player

Pirates signed Ryota Igarashi, 32 year-old reliever with crummy stats in his MLB career and essentially no real chance to contribute favorably to the club.

When is the World Series celebration parade in downtown (Daun-tahn)Pgh?

Team's MLB club salary is currently 46 million, give or taken a couple hundred thousand. Still a chance to sign Fielder to a 20 mil a year contract to up that to a payroll in the mid 60 million range, kind of what other teams might do. They need a big right-handed bat at first base. He's the logical choice. Get Scott Boras on the phone.

Maybe Igarashi is another low-level attempt at building name recognition in Japan. Otherwise it seems like a strange signing, with the Pirates having a deep bullpen even after Veras was dealt.

McGehee is a nice hedge against Alvarez continuing to struggle against lefties.

I'm not sure why the Pirates are spending so much on low-level players but I'm guessing it has something to do with the new CBA. Now if they could bring in D Lee or Carlos Pena for 1B, things might look a little better.

Tonight, Ebenezer Nutting will be visited by 3 Pirate ghosts. The first will lead him from 1960 to the early 1990s. The second, the Ghost of Pirate Present will lead him the a 72-win season. The Ghost of Pirates Future will also lead him to a string of 72-win seasons, an empty stadium, a team payroll of 45 million when the average is over 90 million, and a cheesy little profit for his ski resort where Neal Huntington is the desk clerk.

Pony up to the table, Scrooge. Still a lot of good players worth signing, ya tightwad.

Merry Christmas, all you Pirates posters!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight, Ebenezer Nutting will be visited by 3 Pirate ghosts. The first will lead him from 1960 to the early 1990s. The second, the Ghost of Pirate Present will lead him the a 72-win season. The Ghost of Pirates Future will also lead him to a string of 72-win seasons, an empty stadium, a team payroll of 45 million when the average is over 90 million, and a cheesy little profit for his ski resort where Neal Huntington is the desk clerk.Pony up to the table, Scrooge. Still a lot of good players worth signing, ya tightwad.Merry Christmas, all you Pirates posters!
Maybe Tiny Tim Alderson will get a fastball for Xmas

Tonight, Ebenezer Nutting will be visited by 3 Pirate ghosts. The first will lead him from 1960 to the early 1990s. The second, the Ghost of Pirate Present will lead him the a 72-win season. The Ghost of Pirates Future will also lead him to a string of 72-win seasons, an empty stadium, a team payroll of 45 million when the average is over 90 million, and a cheesy little profit for his ski resort where Neal Huntington is the desk clerk.Pony up to the table, Scrooge. Still a lot of good players worth signing, ya tightwad.Merry Christmas, all you Pirates posters!
Maybe Tiny Tim Alderson will get a fastball for Xmas
:goodposting:

Can you name the Pirates opening-day lineups from 1991 through last season?This is pretty pathetic when you look at the guys from about 1995 though 2007 or so.http://www.sporcle.com/games/johnmadden/pirateslineups#
You got 93 out of 180 answers correctI got the entire 2001 lineup correct :bag: Most of those lineups are horrendous (95%)

Milwaukee is a somewhat smaller market than Pittsburgh, but the Brewers payroll may top 100 million this year. The Bucs are still under 50 million. And not all the Brewers talent is home-grown.

Milwaukee is a somewhat smaller market than Pittsburgh, but the Brewers payroll may top 100 million this year. The Bucs are still under 50 million. And not all the Brewers talent is home-grown.
Gallardo, Braun, Weeks, the core of that team are home grown. The reason they were able to get Greinke and Marcum was because of their minor league depth. The Pirates, after years of ignoring the draft, finally invested money beginning 2 years ago. It was a horrible farm system, so it will take some time to grow organizational depth. First, they need to keep their young players, and then when a solid team has been assembled, they can add pieces.

Perhaps the top two producers for the Pirates last year were Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker---pre-Huntington guys. Prior to Neal Huntington's arrival and during Littlefield's tenure, they drafted and/or developed guys like Doumit, Jack Wilson, Maholm, Brad Lincoln, Daniel Moskos, Nyger Morgan (now a Brewer), Gorzelanny, Evan Meek, etc. Aramis Ramirez is a Brewer now as well, though he pre-dates Littlefield, as does a fellow named Jose Bautista. You can count Rajah Davis, Nate McLouth,and John Grabow in there, among others. I think it is a popular myth to say the cupboard was bare before Huntington came to town though the prior regime produced a number of players on current MLB rosters. Often, Littlefield was bound to draft a Bryan Bullington since the organization was not poised to pay for a pricier choice. If the organization was in shambles, it was because the financially-based refusal to seek out and select the best talent played a big part. Littlefield was a convenient scapegoat, though he was doomed on the Matt Morris deal.

The Pirates appear to be paying out some $ now, but we've yet to see Neal's so-called skill in "rebuilding" the farm system materialize to the extent fans believe. Guys like Tony Sanchez and Tim Alderson seem still to be a good ways from contributing, if they can, while others did not pan out. And Victor Black is still in Class A? Who knows what will happen with Pedro Alvarez, though we hope he's seen the light? Alvarez's future likely will be the referendum on NH's eventual career with the Bucs.

So there was that quote the other day saying that the Pirates would only trade McCutchen if somebody drastically over paid and backed up the truck. But reading the full quote, the last part really upsets me:

We’re in a different stage. We’re in a stage where we are looking to take this team and turn it into a winning team. Then try to take that and make it as consistent as we possibly can. So the motivation is very different. Never say never. If somebody wants to back up the truck and give us one of those organizational altering deals, it’s something we would have to listen to. But there are some players on our club that are extremely difficult to move and it would have to be a dramatic overpay on the part of the other club. We’ve got some guys that were are looking to build a club around as we go forward. We’ve got Andrew McCutchen under contract for the Pirates for four more seasons, and we expect to do some damage here during that time frame.
To me, that implies that after 4 years, he is gone. Considering I am yet to renew my tickets, that was a bad line. I've been holding out hope, but it seems there may be none.

So there was that quote the other day saying that the Pirates would only trade McCutchen if somebody drastically over paid and backed up the truck. But reading the full quote, the last part really upsets me:

We’re in a different stage. We’re in a stage where we are looking to take this team and turn it into a winning team. Then try to take that and make it as consistent as we possibly can. So the motivation is very different. Never say never. If somebody wants to back up the truck and give us one of those organizational altering deals, it’s something we would have to listen to. But there are some players on our club that are extremely difficult to move and it would have to be a dramatic overpay on the part of the other club. We’ve got some guys that were are looking to build a club around as we go forward. We’ve got Andrew McCutchen under contract for the Pirates for four more seasons, and we expect to do some damage here during that time frame.
To me, that implies that after 4 years, he is gone. Considering I am yet to renew my tickets, that was a bad line. I've been holding out hope, but it seems there may be none.
I just read the article & the bold part is the writers comment not Neil's.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just read the article & the bold part is the writers comment not Neil's.
Huntington made the last statement. The writer opted to highlight it in bold.

Takes 2 to make a deal. Who knows what figures they've exchanged, but there does need to be a limit to the Pirates' offer.

The article says "When responding to rumors about Andrew McCutchen trade talks (bolding is my own), the GM stated:". So the bolded parts are his own thoughts not NH's. Don't get me wrong McCutchen will be gone in 4 years (maybe sooner) & NH is a joke but he didn't make that comment.

Heard the Brian Kenny interview with Huntington. Neal is a good talker, and he may be one of MLB's best spin-meisters. At one point, he was describing the "third wave" of injuries that prompted the August-September collapse, citing the absences of Correia and Maholm, in particular, from the rotation. I was waiting for Kenny to ask if acquiring the healthy young arm :rolleyes: of Erik Bedard was intended as the solution. Or maybe it's the newly-obtained Danny Cabrera who will provide the remedy.

Anyway, I guess firing the trainers was the proper course of action, then. They clearly were the problem holding this team back.

If NH wants to earn respect from his critics, saying that he'd take a pay cut because he did not have success the last couple of years in spotting talent would be refreshing, and an admirable way to man up.

Reports are the Pirates were turned down by both Oswalt and Edwin Jackson. Oswalt I kinda understand, but if Jackson really did get a 3/30 offer from the Pirates he should have taken it.

Reports are the Pirates were turned down by both Oswalt and Edwin Jackson. Oswalt I kinda understand, but if Jackson really did get a 3/30 offer from the Pirates he should have taken it.
Next player Pirates are turning their sights on (and probably get turned down again) is OF Yoenis Cespedes. The team reportedly plans to make a sizable offer to him and is very interested in him.

Next player Pirates are turning their sights on (and probably get turned down again) is OF Yoenis Cespedes. The team reportedly plans to make a sizable offer to him and is very interested in him.
They'd be better off overpaying for a McCutchen extension

They'd be better off overpaying for a McCutchen extension
:goodposting: And Edwin Jackson did them a favor if he really did turn down 3/30. You don't re-tool a team by signing #3/#4 pitchers to long-term lucrative deals.

Jackson is represented by Boras who felt a 1-year 11 million dollar contract w/Washington was the best option. If Jackson has a good year, he can eclipse in 2013 whatever offer the Pirates made (if any).

His asking price is reportedly 6 years and 60 million. Marlins and Cubs are the frontrunners. I would rate the Pirates' chance at landing him at less than zero.

Keith Law ranks the Pirates as the 8th best farm system right now

However it is a rather mixed review:

The Pirates' top tier of prospects is very strong, but there's surprisingly little depth given how high they've drafted and how much they've spent on amateur talent.
What really sucks is that obviously the money has been there the past few seasons for the draft and foreign players, however, the money spent may not translate to the final player. You cannot fault anything regarding Pedro Alvarez. He was the best bat in that draft. It seems like they may have gambled and spent money on kids that they shouldn't have though and saved some cash for MLB players. Although I guess we really won't know for a few more years. And now that the spending advantage for the draft has been somewhat taken away by the new CBA, the opportunity is seemingly squandered.

That would be Neal Huntington. H-u-n-t-i-n-g-t-o-n. General Manager unextrordinaire. Nutting stooge, along with Coonelly.

If someone wants to bring up "the mess NH inherited," give it up. That's tired old baloney. This organization will simply not shoot straight with its fans.

And hey, how about them just relenting, please, and give McGahee the few extra hundred thousand he wants? They brought the guy in to push Alvarez, and then get cheap on a guy they were able to pry from Milwaukee? And now they are talking to 38-year old Dmitri Young (medicinal marijuana to alleviate symptoms of diabetes)? All of this defies human comprehension, except for the consistent efforts to bring in washed-up players with an inexpensive price tag. :thumbdown:

The hot talk now is AJ Burnett from the Yankees.

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) — The Pittsburgh Pirates have reportedly inquired about New York Yankees starting pitcher A.J. Burnett.

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Pirates have contacted New York regarding Burnett and a possible move could happen, given the Yankees have been trying to move Burnett for a while and spring training is fast approaching.

The Yankees want to clear salary room to sign so they can re-sign both free agent infielder Eric Chavez and a left-handed designated hitter. Burnett is owed $33 million in the final two years of his contract.

The Pirates want another starting pitcher and missed out on signing Edwin Jackson, who signed with the Washington Nationals. Burnett presents another opportunity, and Pittsburgh is not a team on his no-waive list.

If the price is right, a deal could potentially be made.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:

The Pirates' top tier of prospects is very strong, but there's surprisingly little depth given how high they've drafted and how much they've spent on amateur talent.
What really sucks is that obviously the money has been there the past few seasons for the draft and foreign players, however, the money spent may not translate to the final player. You cannot fault anything regarding Pedro Alvarez. He was the best bat in that draft. It seems like they may have gambled and spent money on kids that they shouldn't have though and saved some cash for MLB players. Although I guess we really won't know for a few more years. And now that the spending advantage for the draft has been somewhat taken away by the new CBA, the opportunity is seemingly squandered.
MLB players that would have gotten them to 75 wins? Cliff Lee wasn't walking through the door. Neither was Carl Crawford, Mark Teixeira or CC Sabathia. I think investing the money in the draft and international markets was absolutely the right move, even if it ultimately doesn't work out.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:

MLB players that would have gotten them to 75 wins? Cliff Lee wasn't walking through the door. Neither was Carl Crawford, Mark Teixeira or CC Sabathia. I think investing the money in the draft and international markets was absolutely the right move, even if it ultimately doesn't work out.
Well my point was that perhaps they gambled and spent on the wrong players. And if they were spending just for the sake of spending, maybe they should have instead banked the money for future years or extending Cutch, or being able to sign better free agents.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:

Well my point was that perhaps they gambled and spent on the wrong players. And if they were spending just for the sake of spending, maybe they should have instead banked the money for future years or extending Cutch, or being able to sign better free agents.
The problem isn't the spending of the last few years. It is that they have only been doing it for a few years.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:

The problem isn't the spending of the last few years. It is that they have only been doing it for a few years.
I agree with that. And I agree with the "plan" but it is becoming apparent that while the Nuttings OK'd the plan and the money, that perhaps it wasn't executed as well as we had hoped. I'm talking more about the late round guys.

Users who are viewing this thread