What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (3 Viewers)

Boy, that's a tough one.  Ex presidents routinely earn six-figure speaking fees without any implied promise of influence.  We're not trying to prevent the spouses from earning their living doing whatever they would have done anyway.  I think that's why the current argument is that GT should go right ahead and do whatever nutty stuff she wants, just that Thomas should recuse himself when it involves his wife.
Well, ex-Presidents aren't normally married to someone running for President.  And I believe Bill was charging well-above-market rates, even for an ex-President.  First link I found on Google.  It was super sketchy.

No, but it does make them hypocrites and it's a very reliable signal that a person is arguing in bad faith.  

Maybe I'm the weird one, but it seems to me that there has been a sizable uptick in overtly bad-faith argumentation in this forum in particular over the past couple of years.  I suspect its because we've run off a lot of the better posters from yesteryear, or maybe it's just because our national political conversation has become more stupid.  I've tried to stop engaging with those folks so much, or at least I've resolved to stop taking them seriously. 
To me, hypocrisy is, by its nature, an individual trait. Meaning that just because some people on the left hand waived the Clinton speaking fees issue, and other people on the left are now making a big deal about Thomas not recusing himself doesn’t make for a compelling case of hypocrisy unless you’re talking about a specific person who has expressly taken those inconsistent positions. Put another way, generalized accusations of hypocrisy, which I see all the time here, are rarely compelling for me unless an individual poster is actually being called out for it. Again, just my two cents. 

To me, hypocrisy is, by its nature, an individual trait. Meaning that just because some people on the left hand waived the Clinton speaking fees issue, and other people on the left are now making a big deal about Thomas not recusing himself doesn’t make for a compelling case of hypocrisy unless you’re talking about a specific person who has expressly taken those inconsistent positions. Put another way, generalized accusations of hypocrisy, which I see all the time here, are rarely compelling for me unless an individual poster is actually being called out for it. Again, just my two cents. 
"Some" people on the left? Try most of them.

Yes, people should name whomever they're talking about instead of saying "the left" or "the right." Always.

I agree.  However, I feel like I need to point out here that this sidebar originally involved @tommyGunZ.  That specific poster is a massive hypocrite on this issue.  I was more specific about that in an earlier version of (I think) the post you quoted, but took that part out because the mods have asked us not to talk about other posters.  In this case, though, it's relevant because at least in my mind I was thinking of a specific individual.

Well, ex-Presidents aren't normally married to someone running for President.  And I believe Bill was charging well-above-market rates, even for an ex-President.  First link I found on Google.  It was super sketchy.
I'm never going to defend the Clintons in general.  If the threads are still around, you'll see that I criticized HRC relentlessly.  Bill is sketchy.  Hillary is sketchy.  Pretty much everything they've ever done has had some sort of corruption tinge to it.

I just want to careful about conflict of interest charges in general.  As I noted earlier, the goal here isn't to prevent the spouses of influential people from earning a living* in what would otherwise be a normal way.  If Bill was charging way beyond market rates (say, in comparison to GWB43 at the same time or Obama a couple years later), then I'd agree that, even if the buyers weren't purchasing influence (because HRC is above such things; yeah, yeah, tip your servers, I'll be here all week), it's safe to conclude that the buyers may well have thought they were purchasing influence and therefore the Clintons should have avoided such dealings just to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

That's why my argument re: Ginni Thomas is similar.  I really don't care what she does on her own time.  I do care, however, when Clarence Thomas rules on a case that involves Ginni Thomas's financial or other interests.

* Naturally, we're ignoring the fact that this type of person is generally quite wealthy to begin with and isn't exactly scraping by to "earn a living" as we might use the phrase colloquially.

I'm never going to defend the Clintons in general.  If the threads are still around, you'll see that I criticized HRC relentlessly.  Bill is sketchy.  Hillary is sketchy.  Pretty much everything they've ever done has had some sort of corruption tinge to it.

I just want to careful about conflict of interest charges in general.  As I noted earlier, the goal here isn't to prevent the spouses of influential people from earning a living* in what would otherwise be a normal way.  If Bill was charging way beyond market rates (say, in comparison to GWB43 at the same time or Obama a couple years later), then I'd agree that, even if the buyers weren't purchasing influence (because HRC is above such things; yeah, yeah, tip your servers, I'll be here all week), it's safe to conclude that the buyers may well have thought they were purchasing influence and therefore the Clintons should have avoided such dealings just to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

That's why my argument re: Ginni Thomas is similar.  I really don't care what she does on her own time.  I do care, however, when Clarence Thomas rules on a case that involves Ginni Thomas's financial or other interests.

* Naturally, we're ignoring the fact that this type of person is generally quite wealthy to begin with and isn't exactly scraping by to "earn a living" as we might use the phrase colloquially.
My personal belief is that sometimes public service may involve some level of personal financial sacrifice. That’s why, for example, I support a law banning members of Congress from trading individual stocks.

I find the notion absurd that spouses of Presidential candidates need to be giving half-million dollar speeches to corporations “make a living.”  The country’s interest in diminishing corruption greatly outweighs the general interest in letting people earn as much money as they can.

I see you addressed this a little in your footnote but to me the footnote undermines everything else that you said.

My personal belief is that sometimes public service may involve some level of personal financial sacrifice. That’s why, for example, I support a law banning members of Congress from trading individual stocks.

I find the notion absurd that spouses of Presidential candidates need to be giving half-million dollar speeches to corporations “make a living.”  The country’s interest in diminishing corruption greatly outweighs the general interest in letting people earn as much money as they can.

I see you addressed this a little in your footnote but to me the footnote undermines everything else that you said.
I'd be OK with all of this, too.  My only hesitation is that we would immediately run into some gray areas.  Where do we draw the lines?  Spouses?  Children?  Siblings?  In-laws, cousins, unmarried partners, grandchildren, and so on?

It's a difficult balancing act, for sure.  It's also important, so if you wanted to advocate for more guardrails, you'll get no serious argument from me as long as such guardrails are fairly well defined and applied to all equally.

I strongly agree, and I'll add that this is also why I think we should pay members of congress and a small number of other public officials more, so that they're financially secure and don't need a second income or whatever to make ends meet.  This really only applies to a very small number of jobs, but I would be totally okay saying that presidents, vice presidents, members of congress, and supreme court justices should be held to high standards of professional ethics.  If that means that their spouses have to forgo a career in political advocacy or lobbying, fine.  But then we should compensate them accordingly.  Small price to pay IMO.

Spouses of supreme court justices shouldn't be meeting one on one with the president in hopes of furthering their political agenda. No matter who is the president or who the justice is.

I suppose we can't all agree on that, but we probably should, right?

https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/03/30/the-right-wing-plan-to-rig-scotus/

We used to pretend that there was a bipartisan understanding that we would put reasonably independent people on the Supreme Court. Long after that became a obvious lie, nominees would pretend they cared about independence, and assert their neutrality. Remember the smarmy testimony of John Roberts at his confirmation hearing in 2005:

I have no agenda, but I do have a commitment. If I am confirmed, I will confront every case with an open mind. I will fully and fairly analyze the legal arguments that are presented. I will be open to the considered views of my colleagues on the bench. And I will decide every case based on the record, according to the rule of law, without fear or favor, to the best of my ability. And I will remember that it’s my job to call balls and strikes and not to pitch or bat.

Those words are a sour joke now, but at the time most people at least pretended to believe them, and to believe that Roberts meant them. The questioning of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson and the anticipated vote on her confirmation make it obvious that the Republicans aren’t even pretending now. Senator Ben Sasse, R-Neb., explained why he won’t vote to confirm Judge Jackson.

“Judge Jackson is an extraordinary person with an extraordinary American story,” Sasse said in a statement. “We both love this country, but we disagree on judicial philosophy and I am sadly unable to vote for this confirmation.

“Judge Jackson has impeccable credentials and a deep knowledge of the law, but at every turn this week she not only refused to claim originalism as her judicial philosophy, she refused to claim any judicial philosophy at all. Although she explained originalism and textualism in some detail to the committee, Judge Jackson refused to embrace them or any other precise system of limits on the judicial role,” the lawmaker said.

Sasse is blowing smoke. Judge Jackson has a judicial philosophy, and she explained it in her opening statement.

'I have been a judge for nearly a decade now, and I take that responsibility and my duty to be independent very seriously. I decide cases from a neutral posture. I evaluate the facts, and I interpret and apply the law to the facts of the case before me, without fear or favor, consistent with my judicial oath.'

Judge Jackson said she uses both originalism and textualism as helpful tools in making decisions, along with other tools developed over the past 230 years. But that’s not what Republicans want. They want assurances that they will win, and the code words are “originalism” and “textualism”.

Jack Balkin, a long-time law professor at Yale, wrote a short history of originalism and textualism. He explains that in the early 1970s, conservatives were looking for a judicial theory that would enable them to roll back the gains made by individuals and government in the Courts, and for ways to use courts to stall and kill government regulation of corporations and rich people. These two theories were created for the task. They are relentlessly pushed by right-wing rich people through their pet project, the Federalist Society and through support for conservative law professors.

Originalism is the idea that the Constitution should be construed in accordance with the public meaning of the words used at the time it was adopted. As a theory, it relies on the idea that SCOTUS can figure out what that public meaning was.

Textualism is the idea that statutes and the Constitution should be interpreted by reference solely to the words on the page, without regard to anything else. The goals of the legislation, the context, legislative history, none of it is relevant. Textualism relies on the idea that a legislature chooses every word in a law intentionally, that each word has only one meaning for purposes of the law, and that a judge can determine that meaning simply by reading the words maybe with the help of a dictionary.

There’s a germ of wisdom here. Some Constitutional language is capable of exactly one interpretation. Thus, the requirement that a person elected to the House have attained the age of 25 years when elected is capable of only one interpretation, as long as we agree that the election happens on the date of the election, and not the date when the vote is counted and certified under applicable state law.

No one really believes that there is a single fixed meaning to the words legislators use, or that they carefully picked every word, and no one really believes that every word of the Constitution was chosen to express some fixed idea. Let’s try some examples.

The Eighth Amendment prohibits Cruel and Unusual Punishments. SCOTUS recenetly ruled that the death penalty cannot be imposed for rape, but that was allowed for centuries. Does that mean that originalists and textualists would overturn Coker v. Georgia?

The Tenth Amendment says:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

There were no abortion laws in the US in 1791. Does that mean the matter is reserved to the people? Or to the states? How do you know which? Was there a Public Meaning of the words in the Tenth Amendment that would shed light on this question? Can you tell from the words?

Conservatives said that these two constructs, originalism and textualism, were neutral, and would constrain courts. That’s not what happened. In practice, textualism and originalism produced results in accordance with conservative demands in most cases. This essay lays out the evidence with links.

Lately there’s been concern among religious conservatives as to whether originalism and textualism are enough to get their way in full. Bostock v. Clayton County considered whether The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of “sex”, applied to gay and transgender people. J. Gorsuch held that it did on textualist grounds. J. Alito dissented on originalist grounds. The uproar that followed among the political Christians revealed the true focus of these two constructs: to use the courts to impose political preferences on a majority that has moved on.

Consider, as Professor Balkin does, the work of Adrian Vermuele, a Harvard professor and Catholic. Vermuele agrees with Balkin’s analysis of the history of originalism and textualism, but goes farther.

But originalism has now outlived its utility, and has become an obstacle to the development of a robust, substantively conservative approach to constitutional law and interpretation. Such an approach—one might call it “common-good constitutionalism”—should be based on the principles that government helps direct persons, associations, and society generally toward the common good, and that strong rule in the interest of attaining the common good is entirely legitimate.

For the right-wing it isn’t enough that a judge is fully qualified. They will only confirm nominees who will vote for conservative positions regardless of law or precedent or good sense. Republicans are the right-wing party. They want to rig SCOTUS.

Maggot Brain said:
I don't think that's a compelling screed.

She says that John Roberts was only pretending to mean it when he said he'd confront every case with an open mind. I don't see any evidence that he was merely pretending, and I don't see how KBJ's similar statement should be given more credence than his. (I believe them both.)

She blasts Sasse for voting nay on KBJ because he doesn't like her judicial philosophy. How is that different from Senator Obama voting nay on Roberts for ideological reasons?

I agree with TommyGunZ that "both sidesism" is a bad habit in general. But there are some situations where both sides really do act similarly, and this seems to be one of them. Criticizing both Roberts and KBJ for saying that they're judicially open-minded would be fine (though unduly mistrustful, IMO). Criticizing both Obama and Sasse for refusing to confirm perfectly qualified candidates would be fine (and I would agree). Calling out Roberts and Sasse, but not KBJ and Obama (or vice versa), seems kind of hackish.

the moops said:
Spouses of supreme court justices shouldn't be meeting one on one with the president in hopes of furthering their political agenda. No matter who is the president or who the justice is.

I won't ever support her as a potential SCOTUS nominee!   That's the playbook, right?

I won't ever support her as a potential SCOTUS nominee!   That's the playbook, right?

BOOM!!!  💣

Can't even count how many times I've heard that snarky remark when discussing Democrats who being questioned about conflicts of interest. 

Anyways, the go to strategy as revenge for Garland and Trump's 3 picks is to now make something out of nothing and pretend it's The Biggest Deal In The World EverTM and try to get a nominee the illegitimate way.  Can't say I'm surprised, though. We saw how the left acted over the Trump years so this is just par for the course.

Last edited by a moderator:
the moops said:

Huh?

Can we just try and have an honest conversation about conflicts of interest and not do whatever it is you are doing?

Do you think a spouse of any supreme court justice should be holding private one on on meetings with the president of texting his/her chief of staff on a consistent basis pushing a political agenda?

Do you think a supreme court justice should recuse him/herself when a case comes up where their spouse has a vested interest in the outcome?

Huh?

Can we just try and have an honest conversation about conflicts of interest and not do whatever it is you are doing?

Do you think a spouse of any supreme court justice should be holding private one on on meetings with the president of texting his/her chief of staff on a consistent basis pushing a political agenda?

Do you think a supreme court justice should recuse him/herself when a case comes up where their spouse has a vested interest in the outcome?
You guys have an honest conversation?  That's funny.

I said based on her actions I won't support her as a SCOTUS nominee if she's ever nominated. 

Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Rep. Pramila Jayapal led 22 colleagues in a bicameral letter to Clarence Thomas and Chief Justice John Roberts demanding answers regarding Thomas's "potential violation of federal ethics law."

The Letter

You guys have an honest conversation?  That's funny.

I said based on her actions I won't support her as a SCOTUS nominee if she's ever nominated. 
Yes, an honest conversation.

Can you answer the questions I posed? I am guessing your answer is no, but I would like to hear your reasoning why conflicts of interest seem to not matter

IvanKaramazov said:
I agree.  However, I feel like I need to point out here that this sidebar originally involved @tommyGunZ.  That specific poster is a massive hypocrite on this issue.  I was more specific about that in an earlier version of (I think) the post you quoted, but took that part out because the mods have asked us not to talk about other posters.  In this case, though, it's relevant because at least in my mind I was thinking of a specific individual.
Note to mods - IK is all good with me.   :thumbup:

I'm undoubtedly a hypocrite on some issues (aren't we all?), but not on this one. Democrats aren't putting forth SC justice nominees with credible accusations of sexual assault. Republicans ignoring Obama's Garland nomination then rushing through Amy Coney Barrett's was the height of political hackery and hypocrisy and far worse than anything Dems have done.  

I'm undoubtedly a hypocrite on some issues (aren't we all?), but not on this one. Democrats aren't putting forth SC justice nominees with credible accusations of sexual assault. Republicans ignoring Obama's Garland nomination then rushing through Amy Coney Barrett's was the height of political hackery and hypocrisy and far worse than anything Dems have done.  

Waiit, wut?  :lol:

She shed a tear and that makes it credible?  No one could corroborate it at all.   So If by "credible" you mean "My side makes up a story and then sheds some tears and acts really, really good and I stand by my side no matter what" then sure, "credible". :rolleyes:

The problem is she wasn't credible and couldn't prove zilch - even those around her didn't corroborate her story and basically said, "We have no idea what the hell she's talking about". :doh:

So what that means is that your definition of "credible" is just anyone that has anything to say against conservatives. 

"Massive Hypocrisy" doesn't even begin to describe what you're doing here.  I bet Jim Jones wished he had followers as loyal as you are to the DNC.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1509555371580571658 (video clip at link)

REPORTER: Do you think Clarence Thomas should resign?

PELOSI: I don't think he ever should've been appointed ... [but] if your wife is an admitted and proud contributor to a coup of our country, maybe you should weigh that in your ethical standards
Was that after her 5th shot of whiskey or her 10th?

This thing is simply disgusting. Can't call it a woman because it doesn't even know the definition of 'woman'. 

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1510276143039057926

correct.

both sides bad <> both sides equally bad

correct.

both sides bad <> both sides equally bad
The problem with this line of thinking is it’s just a matter of perspective or which team you side with. Each side has a list a mile long of poor behavior and decision making. It’s easy to see both sides as bad when you don’t have a party affiliation. Equal becomes unimportant, it’s like the difference between a #### sandwich or a #### burger, the differences are in the margin and either way you’re still eating ####.   

And she did.  When the left makes everything about race one can safely view their decisions and opinions through that lens.  You reap what you sow.
I may have missed it but how exactly did Pelosi it about race? Do you think she would have a different take if Kavanaughs wife was the one at Jan 6 rally?

But they usually pick it by 2 years old.

In case my point wasn't clear, I'll try again.

lod001: Can't call KBJ a woman because she doesn't even know the definition of 'woman'.

Me: Can't call a feline vertebrate a cat because feline vertebrates don't even know the definition of 'cat'.

Does the logic seem better in one case than the other?

In case my point wasn't clear, I'll try again.

lod001: Can't call KBJ a woman because she doesn't even know the definition of 'woman'.

Me: Can't call a feline vertebrate a cat because feline vertebrates don't even know the definition of 'cat'.

Does the logic seem better in one case than the other?

Well, the assumptions here are:

• One is supposed to and expected to have a higher form of intelligence and be capable of logical thought
  • These are not esoteric questions.  Humans have known what a woman and man is for millions of years.  There was never any question up until a few years ago when suddenly people on the left couldn't figure it out anymore.

• One is supposed to and expected to have a higher form of intelligence and be capable of logical thought
  • These are not esoteric questions.  Humans have known what a woman and man is for millions of years.  There was never any question up until a few years ago when suddenly people on the left couldn't figure it out anymore.

Okay, but none of that supports lod001's logic or conclusion.

If the Kavanaugh hearings didn't put the final nail in the coffin for these circus hearings, I suppose the idea that a Scotus judge should have to answer inane questions like "how do you define woman" probably won't either.  The fact (from what I'm reading) that one main criticism of her is that she's a huge supporter of pedophilia and baby torture should really end these proceedings once and for all. The lunatics can flaunt their stupidity on many other platforms, but there's no reason give them an audience on the senate floor.

Exploring the history of gender expression

Although contemporary culture likes to position gender non-conforming people as a new phenomenon, history shows otherwise. Anthropologists have long documented cultures around the world that acknowledge more than two genders. There are examples going back 3,000 years to the Iron Age, and even further back to the Copper Age. In this article, we’ll explore cultures from around the world in which the boundaries between male and female gender expressions have been fluid — and celebrated for being so.

That's tremendously racist of her.

Not racist at all. Clarence Thomas was one the least qualified people we have seen on SCOTUS in decades. Thomas had just barely one year of judicial experience under his belt (on the  U.S. Court of Appeals) when George H. W. Bush nominated him to the Supreme Court in 1991.

Users who are viewing this thread