What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Check out this incredible ending in the NE LA gamehttp://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-05-28-new-england-revolution-vs-la-galaxy/highlights?videoID=15266
This game actually recored for me....via the Spanish station ...those announcers are awesome. Might stick with 'emand yeah, that sequence was great :thumbup:
I bet they sounded great during that sequence whether you understand Spanish or not :)

Part of the "Tsunami" Warner warned about

:popcorn: FIFA politicking is always fascinating. Shocked to hear that Qatar bought the World Cup ;)

-QG
Ok that is no too bad. Does nothing to hurt the US and continues the story of Qatar buying the WC. As many in the media have stated the only people who can fix this are the sponsors. If Adidas et al go to FIFA they would have the financial clout to clean up this mess but to date they can't seem to get past a simple "we are very disappointed with the situation"

And the sponsors have to know they would make much more money in Aussie or US.

Still the finest glimmer of hope that this situation can be rectified but I am not hopeful.
I'd take US bowing out of a rebid if it meant a rebid.
Not sure what you mean? Why would you give up the chance to have a proper rebid against Aussie? You have to know just how much a World Cup could mean to the sport in the US especially with how far we have come already. It might be the catalyst needed to take the next leap.
I just want to see it out of Qatar at any cost. Would love it if it came here, obviously, but if FIFA thinks the US has a conflict of interest in exposing the bribes (and I'm not saying they do. Just stressing out of Qatar should be the main objective) abstaining from a rebid would be fine with me. In fact, open it to all the failed 2018 countries too. Just get it out of Qatar!!!!

Part of the "Tsunami" Warner warned about

:popcorn: FIFA politicking is always fascinating. Shocked to hear that Qatar bought the World Cup ;)

-QG
Ok that is no too bad. Does nothing to hurt the US and continues the story of Qatar buying the WC. As many in the media have stated the only people who can fix this are the sponsors. If Adidas et al go to FIFA they would have the financial clout to clean up this mess but to date they can't seem to get past a simple "we are very disappointed with the situation"

And the sponsors have to know they would make much more money in Aussie or US.

Still the finest glimmer of hope that this situation can be rectified but I am not hopeful.
I'd take US bowing out of a rebid if it meant a rebid.
Not sure what you mean? Why would you give up the chance to have a proper rebid against Aussie? You have to know just how much a World Cup could mean to the sport in the US especially with how far we have come already. It might be the catalyst needed to take the next leap.
I just want to see it out of Qatar at any cost. Would love it if it came here, obviously, but if FIFA thinks the US has a conflict of interest in exposing the bribes (and I'm not saying they do. Just stressing out of Qatar should be the main objective) abstaining from a rebid would be fine with me. In fact, open it to all the failed 2018 countries too. Just get it out of Qatar!!!!
I see your point and I agree with it. I always stated that as much as I wanted the US to host 2022, that I really believed Aussie should be the next in line.

Germany and Uruguay played a friendly Sunday that was a rematch of last year's World Cup 3rd place match.

I'm happy to report that Germany won again. 2-1 this time.

:thumbup:

Tidbits:

* Bedoya in camp but not yet officially on roster. Benny still being evaluated.

* US - Spain ticket sales over 57k. Should be very close to a sellout by game time

* FIFA announced no investigations of Qatar will occur as they have no evidence of wrong doing. Now we know the price Hammam wanted for dropping out.

* Swansea won promotion to the EPL. First Welch team ever in the EPL

Today's tidbits:

* Paul Scholes retired and will join Man U coaching staff

* Both Vancouver and Chicago have fired their coaches this weekend in MLS

I believe nearly everything I read about the corruption in FIFA, but the latest revelation is so stupid/outlandish I am having a hard time with it.

"The president of the South American football confederation wanted the FA Cup to be named after him as an inducement to support England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup, according to an English Football Association report into corruption."

So happy to see Barcelona come up with a performance like that, especially as they had been pretty far off their peak for a while now. Can't pick a guy out of the starting 11 who didn't play well. And when Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta control things like that, it's wonderful to see. I thought Man U played with more spirit and determination than in 2009, and Rooney's finish was top class, but ultimately, Barcelona was too much today. Also glad that it was a fair match - no rampant diving or excessive fouling (with the exception of Valencia - his yellow card was a long time in coming). The best players in the world playing the game the right way - this is what top class football should be.

3 Champions League titles in 6 years is really, really special - such a great time for the club. :thumbup: :banned:
:goodposting:
Today's tidbits:

Great player, poor tackler. Thanks for the many years and you will be missed.

So happy to see Barcelona come up with a performance like that, especially as they had been pretty far off their peak for a while now. Can't pick a guy out of the starting 11 who didn't play well. And when Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta control things like that, it's wonderful to see. I thought Man U played with more spirit and determination than in 2009, and Rooney's finish was top class, but ultimately, Barcelona was too much today. Also glad that it was a fair match - no rampant diving or excessive fouling (with the exception of Valencia - his yellow card was a long time in coming). The best players in the world playing the game the right way - this is what top class football should be.

3 Champions League titles in 6 years is really, really special - such a great time for the club. :thumbup: :banned:
Today's tidbits:

I'll really miss Scholes- an amazing player. Easy to forget, given his automatic yellow every game for the inevitable slow, late, ruthless tackles the last couple of years- but IMO, he along with Giggs redefined the way the English play in the Midfield (with a major nod to Gascoigne) in the modern game. Just a fantastic two-way player with great touch, vision, heart, tactical sense and a penchant for scoring big goals. One of my favorite players ever... and he always reminded me of Tintin, in looks and action; the small, fiesty guy who always got the job done and always got his man.eta: I'm glad to see him retire... his pace has deteriorated too much and has just turned him into "a poor tackler" more than the quality all-around player he once was. Still dumbfounded at how Giggs can keep it up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Today's tidbits:

I'll really miss Scholes- an amazing player. Easy to forget, given his automatic yellow every game for the inevitable slow, late, ruthless tackles the last couple of years- but IMO, he along with Giggs redefined the way the English play in the Midfield (with a major nod to Gascoigne) in the modern game. Just a fantastic two-way player with great touch, vision, heart, tactical sense and a penchant for scoring big goals. One of my favorite players ever... and he always reminded me of Tintin, in looks and action; the small, fiesty guy who always got the job done and always got his man.eta: I'm glad to see him retire... his pace has deteriorated too much and has just turned him into "a poor tackler" more than the quality all-around player he once was. Still dumbfounded at how Giggs can keep it up...
:banned: :bow: How often he would hit that 20-25 yard bomb off the bottom of the bar or the upper V. Then he would take someones shoes off for his daily booking. The Ginger Ninja indeed

The Champions League Final was up 64% in the overnights (1.8) vs last years ratings. Hopefully that will be enough to keep them on broadcast TV.

The American official who blew the whistle on the latest charges of corruption in FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, said Monday that he had not seen concrete evidence of vote-buying in his two decades as a high-ranking executive in the regional confederation in which the United States plays.RelatedBlatter Sidesteps Tough Questions (May 31, 2011)The Times's soccer blog has the world's game covered from all angles.Go to the Goal BlogEnlarge This ImageMichael Regan/Getty ImagesChuck Blazer said he was compelled to act against corruption: “It was clear to me that rules were broken and were very serious.”But when confronted this month with substantiation of bribery attempts to influence FIFA’s coming election for president, he could not ignore it, the official, Chuck Blazer, said in a brief telephone interview from Zurich, where FIFA has its headquarters.“It was clear to me that rules were broken and were very serious,” said Blazer, who is a member of FIFA’s executive committee and is general secretary of the North American, Central American and Caribbean region, or Concacaf. “The idea that money would be paid for votes would have been a change I couldn’t bear. It would have changed the nature of the organization and hurt innocent people.”Blazer did not describe the evidence against two FIFA executives, who have been suspended, except to say that it included photographic confirmation and affidavits detailing attempts to buy votes. He said that he thought that other revelations would be coming.“I’m hopeful this will set a reasonable standard for others and people will be encouraged when faced with this sort of corruption, they will deal with it,” Blazer said.Soccer is the world’s most popular sport, but it has repeatedly faced charges of corruption while operating with a lack of transparency and little oversight.On Wednesday, Sepp Blatter, 75, of Switzerland, is set to run unopposed for a fourth term as FIFA’s president. His former opponent, Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar, withdrew his candidacy Saturday after he was accused of trying to buy votes.Bin Hammam and another FIFA official, Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, were suspended Sunday by a FIFA ethics committee. They have been accused by Blazer of offering cash payments of $40,000 apiece to about two dozen officials from Caribbean nations, with the understanding that they would vote for Bin Hammam over Blatter.Warner, a FIFA vice president, is also the president of Concacaf, and Blazer is his chief deputy. The falling out between the two longtime allies has startled many soccer observers.FIFA is now embroiled in two embarrassing bribery scandals: one regarding its presidential election, the other involving the awarding last fall of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. Meanwhile, some of its top officials have begun turning against one another in a crisis that Blatter said on Monday had caused “great damage” to the governing body’s image.But FIFA remains resistant to outside intervention in reforming the organization even as its critics contend it lacks the credibility to reform itself. And there appears to be little pressure from national soccer federations, players or corporate sponsors to effect change.“I cannot think of any institution in the world that is more safely situated for this kind of corrupt behavior than FIFA,” said Andrei Markovits, a professor of political science at the University of Michigan who has written widely about soccer. “It is a closed society, a complete, literally perfect oligarchy. And it presides over a product that is completely independent of its actions. Even if these guys were child molesters and mass murderers, people aren’t going to stop watching soccer.”Given such autonomy and lack of accountability within FIFA, Markovits said, “These officials would literally have to be inhuman and angels not to be corrupt.”Blatter, who has been the president since 1998, has said this will be his last term. But if he changes his mind, there are no limits to how long he and other top officials can hold office. He has been a delegate for 36 years, nearly half his life.That was one of the reasons Bin Hammam said he decided to run for the presidency; he said Blatter had stayed on too long during a period in which FIFA has been tarnished by corruption charges, match fixing and highly publicized incidents of racism involving fans and players.Enlarge This ImageChristian Hartmann/ReutersQuestions have been raised about the voting for the 2022 World Cup, which was won by Qatar.RelatedBlatter Sidesteps Tough Questions (May 31, 2011)The Times's soccer blog has the world's game covered from all angles.Go to the Goal BlogEnlarge This ImageFabrice Coffrini/Agence France-Presse -- Getty ImagesBlatter will run unopposed for another term this week after his only rival was suspended, accused of trying to buy votes.Unlike the International Olympic Committee, whose 100-plus delegates vote on important matters like the awarding of the Winter and Summer Games, FIFA’s power is concentrated in a 24-member executive committee, all of them men.FIFA also can decertify any country’s soccer federation if it perceives interference from a national government. Critics say this leaves politicians reluctant to intervene, fearful of facing public wrath if a country’s soccer team is suddenly declared ineligible to compete.“I think the system is completely broken, and it’s set up that way,” said Grant Wahl, a senior writer at Sports Illustrated who sought to challenge Blatter for the FIFA presidency but could not persuade a national soccer federation to nominate him. “It seems like the main purpose of these guys is just to stay in power. And they will do that at whatever the cost.”At a news conference Monday in Zurich, Blatter promised “zero tolerance” of illicit behavior in the future. But he remained defiant, saying FIFA was experiencing “difficulties” but not a crisis. And he dismissed calls by Hugh Robertson, the British sports minister, and others that Wednesday’s elections should be postponed because the results lacked credibility.“I am the president of FIFA; you cannot question me,” Blatter said Monday.On Monday, Blatter seemed to retreat from a previous comment that a new vote might be held for the 2022 World Cup, in which the United States finished second to Qatar. Blatter said there was “no issue” regarding Qatar’s selection for 2022.United States soccer officials had hoped for a new vote, but they acknowledged that there was little unimpeachable evidence of impropriety. Still, Sunil Gulati, the president of U.S. Soccer, said in a telephone interview from Zurich, “I think FIFA understands there needs to be a serious review and reform process, regarding governance issues.”Gulati raised an urgent concern about FIFA: will these latest scandals signal the beginning of real reform or simply a return to business as usual?Bin Hammam has said that his suspension was merely a power play by Blatter to preserve his chances for re-election. And Warner, the president of Concacaf, has charged that Blatter recently donated $1 million unilaterally from FIFA’s coffers to the regional confederation to be used “as it deems fit,” apparently to bolster his re-election chances.Such payments are often described as development projects, but there appears to be little oversight over exactly how the money is spent.Coca-Cola, one of FIFA’s international sponsors, said Monday that the current scandals were “distressing and bad for the sport,” but it did not threaten to withdraw its sponsorship. Perhaps the only way to force true reform is for top players like Lionel Messi and Wayne Rooney to say they are fed up, or for powerful soccer federations like those in England and Germany to quit FIFA and form a rival governing body, Markovits, the Michigan professor said.“Shy of that, these guys with total power can live on with merry corruption,” Markovits said.

'B Maverick said:
'andy_b said:
The Champions League Final was up 64% in the overnights (1.8) vs last years ratings. Hopefully that will be enough to keep them on broadcast TV.
Thats good, or it just could be the difference between Inter v Bayern and Barca v United?
The higher(highest) profile teams and Messi certainly made a huge difference.

'B Maverick said:
'andy_b said:
Thats good, or it just could be the difference between Inter v Bayern and Barca v United?
The higher(highest) profile teams and Messi certainly made a huge difference.
But hopefully they won over some folks with the quality of the game. Don't worry, Barca will do their part and make the final again next year.

'El Floppo said:
'B Maverick said:

Today's tidbits:

:goodposting: I always loved Scholes and felt he always kind of flew under the radar for United and England, so I appreciated reading the comments of Xavi who just glowed about Scholes. He was a player's player.

I know I should be outraged by this FIFA scandal, but I just don't give a ####. :shrug:
I'm kinda in the same boat. It's not like we didn't know this was gonna happen...just politics as usual.(same way I feel about politics in the US, but let's keep that out of here)

And the lunacy continues. Interim president of CONCACAF has just fired Chuck Blazer, affective immediately.
Holy crap is this a riot. It now turns out that interim President did not have the power to fire Blazer. Here is the press release from CONCACAF =============================Today an unauthorized declaration was made by Lisle Austin attempting to remove Chuck Blazer as General Secretary of CONCACAF.This attempted action was taken without any authority.  Under the CONCACAF Statutes, jurisdiction over the General Secretary rests solely with the CONCACAF Executive Committee which has taken no action.  Further a majority of the Executive Committee Members have advised Mr. Austin that he does not have the authority to take such action.Chuck Blazer continues as CONCACAF General Secretary and with the full authority of his office.  The Confederation continues its normal operations including the Gold Cup commencing on June 5th at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

Rossi's agent in talks with Barca. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2011/05/31/2512283/villarreals-giuseppe-rossi-in-negotiation-with-barcelona

Personally, I think defense should be more of a priority. They have Bojan, Pedro, and Affelay up front, all of whom are young and extremely skilled, to go along with Villa and Messi, of course. With Puyol's knee condition, I'd rather see them get a good CB that they can rely on so Mascherano doesn't have to play back there as much.

I do think it's time to lock up Fabregas, however. Xavi's a legend, but getting his heir now and taking some pressure off in terms of his workload would be huge. And after this year, it seems like an ideal "buy low" situation.

Rossi's agent in talks with Barca. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2011/05/31/2512283/villarreals-giuseppe-rossi-in-negotiation-with-barcelona

Personally, I think defense should be more of a priority. They have Bojan, Pedro, and Affelay up front, all of whom are young and extremely skilled, to go along with Villa and Messi, of course. With Puyol's knee condition, I'd rather see them get a good CB that they can rely on so Mascherano doesn't have to play back there as much.

I do think it's time to lock up Fabregas, however. Xavi's a legend, but getting his heir now and taking some pressure off in terms of his workload would be huge. And after this year, it seems like an ideal "buy low" situation.
Fabregas is never going to be a buy low candidate. Everybody knows who he is and what they are getting.

Fabregas is never going to be a buy low candidate. Everybody knows who he is and what they are getting.
:goodposting: I doubt it's going to be CRonaldo big, but it's going to be big.

As if that's any concern for Barca anyway...

As if that's any concern for Barca anyway...
I didn't say anything about it concerning Barca.

link

Robinho believes Brazilian sensation Neymar needs to think hard about his future to make sure that he joins ''the right team'' when he leaves Santos.

GettyImages

Neymar has sent out mixed messages over his future

Robinho's words will mean a lot to a player who has followed a similar career path, as the former British record transfer did not enjoy spells at Real Madrid and Manchester City before settling at AC Milan.

Neymar, 19, has been likened to Robinho in playing style and is attracting the interest of Barcelona and Chelsea, as he looks set to leave Brazil this summer. However, Robinho has imparted some advice that suggests the young starlet - and fellow Santos midfielder Paulo Henrique Ganso - avoid the Premier League altogether.

"I think both players are ready to leave Brazil because they are at a different level," Robinho told the Daily Mail. "They have impressive quality. It's about joining the right team, one which respects the qualities of the player.

"With Neymar and Ganso's characteristics, I think they would do well in Spain and Italy. Imagine Neymar playing for Barcelona, with Lionel Messi and David Villa. My God!

"To keep improving, they will have to choose well, because they might have to change the way they play."
Looks like Barca wants a forward, not sure if they want to move on from Boyan and or Pedro. Mess, Villa, and Affelay are locks to stay.Which one would be the better buy Neymar or Rossi?

ETA: Also rumors of Thiago Silva to Barca for 25 million and Maxwell.

The price that's been kicked around for him is 40-45. If he has two great years, what's his price in 2013? How much would Iniesta hypothetically fetch on the open market?

The price that's been kicked around for him is 40-45. If he has two great years, what's his price in 2013? How much would Iniesta hypothetically fetch on the open market?
I'd actually be very surprised if Barca went over 35 for Cesc. He's not a direct comparison to Xavi (who is?), and Barca has the next big thing coming out of La Masia in Thiago. Besides, I don't see Cesc getting better. I don't see him as much of a leader (he's whined about not starting for Spain and thrown some Arsenal teammates under the bus). Cesc strikes me as a more plausible Iniesta replacement, but I don't think he's worth nearly that much to Barca (who spends, but not on a Chelsea, City, or Madrid level).

I'd actually be very surprised if Barca went over 35 for Cesc. He's not a direct comparison to Xavi (who is?), and Barca has the next big thing coming out of La Masia in Thiago. Besides, I don't see Cesc getting better. I don't see him as much of a leader (he's whined about not starting for Spain and thrown some Arsenal teammates under the bus). Cesc strikes me as a more plausible Iniesta replacement, but I don't think he's worth nearly that much to Barca (who spends, but not on a Chelsea, City, or Madrid level).
Agreed - I have no desire to see Barcelona spend big on Cesc, and certainly not before bolstering the defense. I'd like to see more of Thiago before seeing Barcelona plunk down 35+ for Cesc. As far as the D goes, Fontas has a promising future, but Barcelona needs to bring in someone more established to give the back 4 more depth.

Are these legitimate eBay bids? The penalty spot thing is legit (at least I assume so, it's on ESPN Soccernet), but 999,000+ pounds for that?
The note at the bottom of the auction ( see below) states the seller seems to know it is bogus and may have to cancel the auction

"WoW... almost £1m, Please be aware that this is a genuine auction, all bids that are deemed false have, and are being reported to, and actioned by Ebay. It is unfortunate that this auction has had people bidding with the intention of disrupting the auction. It could well be the case that this auction is cancelled and restarted in a different format, if you are a genuine bidder, good luck, if you are not, please retract your bid."

ETA: Also rumors of Thiago Silva to Barca for 25 million and Maxwell.
Expensive but probably a good move for Barca if they can pull it off, would set them up at CB for a long time. Milan's not really in a selling position so I doubt they let Silva go unless they feel they're getting great value.Silva is a beast on the video game, I know that much.

I agree completely. As much as I love the guy (he is my avatar, after all), and he's a good fit at Arsenal....frankly, he's not THAT good. He's not "Barcelona good". I'm not saying he sucks, but he's already 24 (which in soccer years is really hitting your prime) and there's a reason he doesn't really feature for the Spanish national team. I know Xavi isn't getting any younger, but he's still got a few top-level years left, at least....and by then Fabregas will be past his prime.I'm not saying he'd be a waste of money for Barca, but I honestly don't see him making the first team with any real consistency....not with the midfield Barca has now, at least.

I agree completely. As much as I love the guy (he is my avatar, after all), and he's a good fit at Arsenal....frankly, he's not THAT good. He's not "Barcelona good". I'm not saying he sucks, but he's already 24 (which in soccer years is really hitting your prime) and there's a reason he doesn't really feature for the Spanish national team. I know Xavi isn't getting any younger, but he's still got a few top-level years left, at least....and by then Fabregas will be past his prime.I'm not saying he'd be a waste of money for Barca, but I honestly don't see him making the first team with any real consistency....not with the midfield Barca has now, at least.
FWIW, Wenger is saying that Barca hasn't made an approach this year. I really think Cesc will stay. Also appears that a new deal for Nasri is being held up because he wants the same wage package as Cesc. Most underrated Arsenal news is that they apparently have at least tried to put in an offer for Christopher Samba, with Wenger going so far as to admit that he's looking for an experienced center back with knowledge of the English game (Gary Cahill would also work, IMO). He also admitted interest in Benzema and Gervinho as strikers. Still think they need another true flank player, although I get that those are at a premium.

Yahoo! had an article about the possibility of a 2022 World Cup revote. Any real chance this happens?
I cant find it now but there was an article a few days ago basically saying there is no chance this happens. In other news...Michael Owen resigns for another year on United's bench. And Berbatov vows to stay and fight for his spot at United. I still think Berb gets sold, he would get them the most $$ which will be needed if they really are going after De Gea, Luka Modric, Wesly Sneijder, etc etc....

Yahoo! had an article about the possibility of a 2022 World Cup revote. Any real chance this happens?
Unless evidence is presented FIFA has already announced that there are no charges against Qatar. The only hope we had was that the whistle blower would come forward with good evidence but he decided last week that he would not testify.

As long as he keeps playing for the USMNT like he has been for years, I have no problems with it. He was superb in the World Cup...I think I had him as MOTM a few times. To be honest, I haven't actually seen much of Wimbledon Jones that suggests he should be on the field. I can see an argument for Holden and Edu, but IMO, Holden's much better in an attacking role whereas Bradley is better in the holding role.If Bob wants to stick with a 4-5-1, I don't see any reason why Michael should be off the field....unless he looks like crap, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread