What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Guess I'm not as big of a soccer fan as I thought. I'm watching a bit of a "Gold Cup Classic" on FSC. It's US vs. Haiti from 2009. Don't recognize anyone on the team other than Kenny Cooper and Stu Holden.

Guess I'm not as big of a soccer fan as I thought. I'm watching a bit of a "Gold Cup Classic" on FSC. It's US vs. Haiti from 2009. Don't recognize anyone on the team other than Kenny Cooper and Stu Holden.
I obviously don't remember the roster offhand, but the 2009 Gold Cup was somewhat meaningless, and IIRC, the US let a lot of the better players take the time off after the Confederations Cup, which I think was just a few weeks before this.As long as they don't show the final, it's all good. :XStick with the 07 final instead :thumbup:

That was the US "B" and even "C" team, fwiw.They had a fantastic run to the finals, and actually played really well as a team. Kyle Beckerman was a real standout for the team against the lesser countries, helping keep their MF incredibly well organized.I watched the final game vs Mexico live at Giant's stadium. #### Sandwich.

That was the US "B" and even "C" team, fwiw.They had a fantastic run to the finals, and actually played really well as a team. Kyle Beckerman was a real standout for the team against the lesser countries, helping keep their MF incredibly well organized.I watched the final game vs Mexico live at Giant's stadium. #### Sandwich.
I hate Kyle Beckerman. Glad I changed the channel.

Kyle Beckerman was a real standout for the team against the lesser countries, helping keep their MF incredibly well organized.
I remember this...I made a comment like a month before the cup about how he was a nobody...and then I looked like an #######.
He is definitely at the very tip top of all American's just below the full national team level. He is the backbone of a very good RSL side. Who knows the result if he could have played in the CCL final.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Bob wants to stick with a 4-5-1, I don't see any reason why Michael should be off the field....unless he looks like crap, of course.
Bite your tongue on the 4-5-1 formation lest Bob want to revisit that again :) . Start J & J up top. The US looks god awful when Jozy is stranded up top. He does not possess the proper skill set to play alone. I guess though Bob always plays it safe. Shame that he can't correlate that to the US continually having poor starts. Not sure what to expect against Spain. The US will be lucky to have even 30% possession if Spain is on their game.

If Bob wants to stick with a 4-5-1, I don't see any reason why Michael should be off the field....unless he looks like crap, of course.
Bite your tongue on the 4-5-1 formation lest Bob want to revisit that again :) . Start J & J up top. The US looks god awful when Jozy is stranded up top. He does not possess the proper skill set to play alone. I guess though Bob always plays it safe. Shame that he can't correlate that to the US continually having poor starts.

Not sure what to expect against Spain. The US will be lucky to have even 30% possession if Spain is on their game.
Is this televised on Saturday? Just looked and couldn't find it.

Bite your tongue on the 4-5-1 formation lest Bob want to revisit that again :) . Start J & J up top. The US looks god awful when Jozy is stranded up top. He does not possess the proper skill set to play alone. I guess though Bob always plays it safe. Shame that he can't correlate that to the US continually having poor starts. Not sure what to expect against Spain. The US will be lucky to have even 30% possession if Spain is on their game.
Jozy out, Brian Ching in:moneybag:

Bite your tongue on the 4-5-1 formation lest Bob want to revisit that again :) . Start J & J up top. The US looks god awful when Jozy is stranded up top. He does not possess the proper skill set to play alone. I guess though Bob always plays it safe. Shame that he can't correlate that to the US continually having poor starts.

Not sure what to expect against Spain. The US will be lucky to have even 30% possession if Spain is on their game.
Is this televised on Saturday? Just looked and couldn't find it.
Yes, ESPN at 4:30pm eastern.

Some Bayern news

Manuel to Munich! - Neuer becomes Bayern’s new number one

Bayern fans all over the world reacted with joy and excitement to the news that Manuel Neuer, hailed by many experts as the best goalkeeper in the world at the present time, will wear the number 1 shirt in Munich next season. On Wednesday evening, FCB and Neuer’s current club Schalke finalised the details of the 25-year-old’s transfer, freeing him to sign a five-year contract next week and officially report for training at the Säbener Strasse as a Bayern player on 1 July.
Rafinha signs - Brazilian defender inks three-year dealhttp://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/en/news/news/2011/29686.php

http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/en/news/news/2011/29686.php
Following the capture of young Cottbus striker Nils Petersen last week, Bayern have announced the second new face for the 2011/12 season. Brazilian defender Rafinha, who spent last term in Serie A with CFC Genoa, signed a three-year contract at the Säbener Strasse on Wednesday, keeping him with FCB until 30 June 2014. The 25-year-old returns to the Bundesliga for an undisclosed fee.
Thirteen Bayern men in international action
Philipp Lahm, Miroslav Klose, Mario Gomez, Thomas Müller, Holger Badstuber, Toni Kroos

Germany - Uruguay (29 May, in Sinsheim)

Austria - Germany (3 June, Vienna)

Azerbaijan - Germany (7 June, Baku)

Daniel van Buyten, Hamit Altintop

Belgium - Turkey (3 June, Brussels)

David Alaba

Austria - Germany (3 June, Vienna)

Austria - Latvia (7 June, Graz)

Franck Ribéry

Belarus - France (3 June, Minsk)

Ukraine - France (6 June, Donetsk)

Poland - France (9 June, Gdansk)

Anatoliy Tymoshchuk

Ukraine - Uzbekistan (1 June, Kyiv)

Ukraine - France (6 June, Donetsk)

Danijel Pranjic

Croatia - Georgia (3 June, Split)

Arjen Robben

Brazil - Netherlands (4 June, Goiania)

Uruguay - Netherlands (8 June, Montevideo)

In Blatter's first move after the election, he has proposed that the choosing of the WC sites will no longer rest with the executive committee and will go back to being chosen by the FIFA Congress. The proposal was approved by the 208 members. All that needs to be done is a simple rubber stamp.

In the end though this may be meaningless if the next vote is not until 2018 and will be under the rule of a new president.

In other news the German Federation President stated that the 2022 WC award has too many issues associated with it and it should be revisited.

Some Bayern news...
Bayern had a disappointing season, but they scraped into the Champions League qualifying round, which is important I think in part because the final will be in Munich next season. Neuer is a very important addition, but I think they have a number of areas to address, which I completely expect them to do. Meanwhile, the Bundesliga appears to be the most interesting and competitive league in Europe, with a young Borrusia Dortmund team winning the title this year, the 4th different champion in the past 5 seasons. The league passed Italy in the UEFA rankings this season, so will get 4 CL spots beginning next season. I hope we get better coverage of the German league in the coming years. It is very easy to follow the EPL these days, and not too hard to regularly see games from Italy and Spain, but German soccer is still quite elusive, at least for ATT Uverse subscribers like me.

Bayern had a disappointing season
Crazy to think that's the thinking with a 3rd place finish in the league, a semifinal spot in the Pokal and Round of 16 spot in the CL. But, it was.
It is very easy to follow the EPL these days, and not too hard to regularly see games from Italy and Spain, but German soccer is still quite elusive, at least for ATT Uverse subscribers like me.
I've been waiting for Uverse to get to my area so I can see what is available. Doe they not have Gol TV?Gol TV and espn3 usually carry a few games each week of the season.

I'm with you guys on wanting to watch more Bundesliga. Not only have I become a Bayern fan watching the CL, but it also seems to be the most balanced of the top leagues.

Didn't realize ESPN3 had German games until it was too late this year. I know I don't get GolTV on Comcast, although I may call and see if there's any way they can add it.

ETA: Also rumors of Thiago Silva to Barca for 25 million and Maxwell.
Expensive but probably a good move for Barca if they can pull it off, would set them up at CB for a long time. Milan's not really in a selling position so I doubt they let Silva go unless they feel they're getting great value.Silva is a beast on the video game, I know that much.
I think Barca would do this in a heartbeat.Related, Puyol out for 2-3 months after knee surgery.

Im taking my son to this for his sixth birthday. He's amped. I got GREAT seats too. He's been practicing his USA chant all week. He said he hopes Fernando Torres plays SO HE CAN BOO HIM. I lmao when he said that.

Expensive but probably a good move for Barca if they can pull it off, would set them up at CB for a long time. Milan's not really in a selling position so I doubt they let Silva go unless they feel they're getting great value.

Silva is a beast on the video game, I know that much.
xbox or PS3?
I can vouch for him being a beast on the 360.

Expensive but probably a good move for Barca if they can pull it off, would set them up at CB for a long time. Milan's not really in a selling position so I doubt they let Silva go unless they feel they're getting great value.

xbox or PS3?
:lmao: Was wondering if Spartans plays on xbox. Its getting too easy to beat you, and I need some competition. :boxing:

Im taking my son to this for his sixth birthday. He's amped. I got GREAT seats too. He's been practicing his USA chant all week. He said he hopes Fernando Torres plays SO HE CAN BOO HIM. I lmao when he said that.
That's great! I took my nephew when he was a little older than that to a WCQ in Foxboro and we sat with Sam's Army. He still talks about till this day :)

This is fantastic. 4.2 million viewers is a great number. That may be the highest number of viewers ever for a club match.

=====================

2011 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL DELIVERS FOR FOX SPORTS MEDIA GROUP

FC Barcelona-Manchester United Match on FOX Sports & FOX Deportes

Dwarfs 2010 Viewership FOX Sees +64% Spike in Key Young Male Demographic;

FOX Deportes Sets Spanish-Language Ratings Records

New York – The 2011 UEFA Champions League Final is the highest-rated and most watched in U.S. history, according to national ratings figures released by Nielsen Media Research.

FOX Sports Media Group’s coverage of the championship match of the world’s most prestigious soccer club tournament combined on FOX and FOX Deportes to generate a 2.1 household rating and 6 share, drawing an audience of 4.2 million viewers nationally, dwarfing the ratings and audience of a year ago by +75% and +91%, respectively.  The 2010 UEFA Champions League Final between Inter Milan and Bayern Munich, which aired on FOX and Fox Sports en Español (now FOX Deportes), combined for a 1.2 HH rating with an audience of 2.2 million.

The FOX over-the-air broadcast earned a 1.4/4 household rating/share, with an audience of 2.6 million viewers compared to a 1.0 HH rating and 1.6 million viewers a year ago, +40% in rating and +63% in audience.  Simultaneously, FOX Deportes notched a 0.7/2 rating in total US homes for this year’s match, with an audience of 1.6 million, +133% in HH rating (0.3) and +167% in audience (600,000).

Significantly, the English-language broadcast of Saturday’s match beat the 2009 Champions League Final which also featured Manchester United and Barcelona by +56% in rating (1.4 vs. 0.9) and +86% in audience (2.6 million vs. 1.4 million).  Combined, the 2011 match on FOX and FOX Deportes bettered the 2009 match by +62% on rating (2.1 vs. 1.3) and +24% on viewership (4.2 million vs. 2.1 million).

U.S. viewership of the UEFA Champions League Final has exploded in recent years. This is the seventh straight year that English-language viewing of the Champions League Final has increased in the U.S.  Over the last 10 years, viewing has increased almost 10-fold, from 264,000 viewers on ESPN in 2002 to 2.6 million on FOX this year.

Soccer continues to draw an impressively young audience.  Saturday’s match earned a 1.8 among Men 18-34 on FOX, which is +29% higher than the HH rating. It’s exceptionally rare for a sports event to be that much stronger among the younger demo than it is overall.

Locally, Washington DC led all markets with a 3.3, followed by Seattle (2.9), New York & Providence (2.8), Los Angeles & Austin (2.7), San Francisco (2.5), Las Vegas & Phoenix (2.3), San Diego & Tampa (2.1), Boston & Hartford (2.0).  In terms of year-to-year growth, Seattle led the way (+383%, 2.9 vs. 0.6), followed by Providence (+367%, 2.8 vs. 0.6), Hartford (+300%, 2.0 vs. 0.5), Dayton (+300%, 1.6 vs. 0.4), Orlando (+250%, 1.4 vs. 0.4), Indianapolis (+233%, 1.0 vs. 0.3) and Washington, DC (+200%, 3.3 vs. 1.1) & Greenville (1.2 vs. 0.4).

In terms of the Spanish-language audience, FOX Deportes’ telecast of the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final is the highest-rated ever on Spanish-language television and generated the biggest audience for any event in the history of Spanish-language sports networks.  The match attracted 1.5 million Spanish language viewers, a record for any Spanish-language sports cable network in the U.S., up +206% compared to the 2010 Champions League Final, more than tripling the number of Hispanic viewers (490,000) from a year ago.  The match pulled a 13.0 coverage area HH rating, the third-highest in the network’s history and up an incredible +152% versus last year’s 5.15 Final.  For additional details on the Spanish-language audience, please see the companion press release issued by FOX Deportes.

'andy_b said:
This is fantastic. 4.2 million viewers is a great number. That may be the highest number of viewers ever for a club match.=====================
Great news. For some perspective, what do other sports draw on a Saturday afternoon? Hockey, MLB, Nascar....?

'andy_b said:
This is fantastic. 4.2 million viewers is a great number. That may be the highest number of viewers ever for a club match.=====================
Great news. For some perspective, what do other sports draw on a Saturday afternoon? Hockey, MLB, Nascar....?
up until last nights game, the NHL highest playoff number (which was in prime time) was 2.55 million viewers. Last night did a pretty big number from what I heard. Largest game 1 overnight rating in 12 years.NASCAR has been running numbers between ~6-10 million viewers per race this season (note that NASCAR is the #2 most watched sport nationally after the NFL). I think though some NASCAR races are prime time now (I am not a NASCAR fan so I may be wrong).

And for those that did not read the entire ratings article, this is by far the most important item. This trait is also seen in MLS demographics of their telecasts. The 18-34 demo has traditionally being a wonderful leading indicator for a sports growth.

"Soccer continues to draw an impressively young audience. Saturday’s match earned a 1.8 among Men 18-34 on FOX, which is +29% higher than the HH rating. It’s exceptionally rare for a sports event to be that much stronger among the younger demo than it is overall."

'Sebowski said:
'Bonzai said:
'Sebowski said:
'Spartans Rule said:

xbox or PS3?
:lmao: Was wondering if Spartans plays on xbox. Its getting too easy to beat you, and I need some competition. :boxing:
:lol: PS3 unfortunately.

Wilshere: Let's harangue refs like United

Van Persie slams Spain and Chelsea

Ok this is funny. In the first article, Wilshire says the key to Arsenals title hopes is to be a team in impossing their will on the referees, citing United as the best at it. "Jack Wilshere has urged his Arsenal team-mates to copy Manchester United by harassing referees more in order to gain an upper hand in next year's Premier League title race."

It's no use just Robin van Persie going because it looks like it's just him having a go at the ref. If we all get round him..." Wilshere said.

"You just see the other teams do it and you think 'we need to do it as well'. Man United are the best at it. They get round the referee. We have to be more of a team and be more aggressive and show more authority."

Yet in the 2nd article, "Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has launched an incredible tirade against Spain and Chelsea players, telling them to stop '#####ing' at officials and get on with playing football"

Van Persie claims he 'cannot understand' the behaviour of players who constantly put the referee under pressure and was scathing of Barcelona following their actions in the Champions League last-16 clash with the Gunners. However, he has now extended his ire towards the world champions and also London rivals Chelsea.

So one player wants everyone to shut up and play, yet the other insists surrounding the ref as a team and impossing their will is the key to winning the EPL? Oh and amid all of this, Wenger wants to target TALL players to bring in.

and then this from the transfer blog:

El Mundo Deportivo has claimed Arsenal have told Real Madrid to open the bidding for Cesc Fabregas at £50m. Quite why they’d tell them to ‘open the bidding’ at that price isn’t clear, unless they plan to reject the amount they told them to offer.

"How much would you like?"

"Start the bidding at £50m."

"How about £50m?"

"No."

Regardless, unless he wants a decapitated pig’s head thrown at him, we presume Cesc will just wait for Barca to bid, whenever that might be.

not meaning to pile on Arsenal, just a very comical couple days covering them.

In other news: De Gea was seen house hunting in Manchester with his gf.

Marcus Hahnemann is leaving Wolves. The rumor is that he is taking to Seattle which makes some sense with Keller riding off into the sunset after this season. Ironic that in all of Marcus's time in England, that he will play to his largest home crowds if he does play in Seattle.

'Sebowski said:
'Bonzai said:
'Sebowski said:
'Spartans Rule said:

xbox or PS3?
Fightin' words. Game tonight?

Grant Wahl did a very very nice job in this article explaining why the US did not take a position in this quagmire and stand with England and 16 other countries in the call to delay the vote.

Great bits on the huge favor Blatter already did once for the US. I almost wish he did not write this article. Gives me another small glimmer of hope.

Why the US stayed silent

Interesting tweet. I have not heard any rumors. Could this be retirement????

Fox Soccer will have world-exclusive news on Brad Friedel's future LIVE at 10 PM ET tonight on the Fox Soccer Report.

Jesus this MLS season won't quit with the season ending injuries.

1 of only 3 decent Revs players, Marko Perovic will miss the rest of the season after having surgery on his left knee today.

There will be grass at Foxboro Saturday for the Spain game.
jesus, this was an issue in June?No wonder why I refuse to live on the East coast.
? I don't understand. Foxboro has field turf. They are laying grass over the field turf for a few games (same in Seattle)
My bad, I thought it was grass there in the summer.
After a particularly horrible game on grass for Brady (where he almost got killed multiple times due to the poor surface in the rain) back in 2006 the Krafts panicked and had the field ripped up and replaced with Field Turf in the middle of the NFL season. It was upgraded to better field turf in 2010.

Interesting tweet. I have not heard any rumors. Could this be retirement????Fox Soccer will have world-exclusive news on Brad Friedel's future LIVE at 10 PM ET tonight on the Fox Soccer Report.
I heard last week that he was supposed to go to Liverpool to back up Reina.

Interesting tweet. I have not heard any rumors. Could this be retirement????Fox Soccer will have world-exclusive news on Brad Friedel's future LIVE at 10 PM ET tonight on the Fox Soccer Report.
I heard last week that he was supposed to go to Liverpool to back up Reina.
That would make some sense for this time in his career but I would wonder why this would need a special announcement. I also notice that it is Fox doing this and Friedel worked for them during the Champions League final.

Ticket sales are now at 60k for US Spain. With near perfect weather predicted for Saturday this should get close to a full sellout (68kish)

Sunil and Reyna were watching Spain train today. Sunil was inundated with questions from media about FIFA and would not answer a single question. It seems clear that he must feel that keeping his mouth shut is the best hope for reopening the bidding for 2022.

Not to keep being all Barca-y, but I think Messi's goal has been given a little bit of short shrift. Even the American play-by-play announcers said that it wasn't one of his best goals. But I think what's been forgotten is that Vidic, while positioned poorly, was blocking the path to the corner. If he shoots outside of Vidic, it's a goal kick (see :40-:42). If he shoots to the other side whee VDS is leaning, it's gobbled up easily. Rocketing a shot past Vidic's right leg, against the way VDS was leaning was really the only play, and he had a fairly small window to fit it in to.

Users who are viewing this thread