What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Official Super Bowl 50 **** Broncos v. Panthers (1 Viewer)

Will the half time show suck?

• Yes

Votes: 230 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 51 18.1%

• Total voters
Guys, humor me for a second:

* Imagine Peyton Manning being completely healthy, rested, and comfortable with the offense.

* Imagine a game in perfect conditions.

* Imagine an offensive line finally starting to play better.

* Imagine facing a defense starting a CB off the street who had been out of the league most of 2015, a safety who may not be able to see, and a linebacker with a broken arm.

Don't you guys think there is a tiny chance that the Bronco offense might be a tad under-sold?

* Imagine Peyton Manning being completely healthy, rested, and comfortable with the offense.

* Imagine facing a defense starting a CB off the street who had been out of the league most of 2015, a safety who may not be able to see, and a linebacker with a broken arm.

Don't you guys think there is a tiny chance that the Bronco offense might be a tad under-sold?
I think if Broncos don't turn the ball over and their D holds they can win. I don't think they can get behind and try to catch up. Just my guess. I don't have a dog in the fight but it would be fun to see Manning go out with a Super Bowl win.

* A "healthy/rested/comfortable" Peyton still didn't look great against either playoff team they faced. And neither of those defenses were as good as the Panthers D.

* Perfect conditions go both ways. Tedd Ginn says hi.

* Broncos haven't shown they have anywhere near the capability to run the ball on a defense like the Panthers.

* Imagine a CB off the street and a bunch of backups completely shutting down a receiving corp of Larry Fitz, Michael Floyd, and John Brown, with Carson Palmer at QB, causing 7 turnovers, even AFTER their starting OLB and safety got knocked out of the game.

* A "healthy/rested/comfortable" Peyton still didn't look great against either playoff team they faced. And neither of those defenses were as good as the Panthers D.

* Broncos haven't shown they have anywhere near the capability to run the ball on a defense like the Panthers.

* Imagine a CB off the street and a bunch of backups completely shutting down a receiving corp of Larry Fitz, Michael Floyd, and John Brown, with Carson Palmer at QB, causing 7 turnovers, even AFTER their starting OLB and safety got knocked out of the game.
Peyton's two best games this season were the last two playoff games.

Yes, and he wasn't "impressive" in either. He's going to have to be really really good to beat the Panthers, not just "not horrible".

Yup. I posted this in the "enjoy retirement" thread but think it should go here too.http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/4/10898064/peyton-manning-breakdown-super-bowl-2016-playing-better-not-done

That means he is picking a guy he is pretty sure will be open based on coverage before the snap, and he isn't messing around looking for a better option on most plays.
Ha... yeah, don't mess around with that whole progression thing. Lock and fire Peyton!

#JoshNormanPick6

CHUG guys> I'm open to taking side bets on 50. First beer at the draft, trading rights, have to wear opposing jersey @ draft, have to keep at least one Bronco on your roster all season, etc.

Current line is Panthers by 4.5.

I don't think the Panthers are underestimating the Bronco offense or Manning. It's the two weeks of media :hophead: that have tried to bury Manning and his offense. It's hard to watch ESPN without hearing some guy say how it should be a blowout. I hope the Panthers aren't listening to all the hype that has built up over this game and just go out and do what they've been doing.

The line has been from 3.5 to 5.5. Vegas doesn't think it will be a blowout. Both teams have been great at times and good for most of the rest of the time this year. I'm a huge Panthers fan so you know who I want to win. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Broncos win. With that said, Go Panthers!

can the 'other' CB not named Josh Norman cover Emmanuel Sanders? that's the real question here..

it's a pretty simple formula for Denver - watch film of the Atlanta game. Falcons ran the ball hard with D. Freeman 22-73. Ryan threw for 302.most telling stat in that game - carolina defense

managed only 2 sacks of Ryan, but forced no turnovers in the game.

Atl defense stifled the Panthers' running game and held Cam to just 142 passing yards. and ATl's defense isn't even that good!

key tie-in Atl to Denver? Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak's protege. I'm sure they've been exchanging information ever since the Broncos' victory against the Pats two weeks ago..

Kubiak and Wade Phillips >>> Rivera and Shula.period.

Carolina has not been tested this entire postseason,they've dealt opponents one blowout after another..but, what will happen to Carolina if Denver gets up on them early, say 10-0, 14-3 early on? it makes Cam one-dimensional,and allows Denver to unleash Von Miller.

and conversely,if Carolina gets out to a huge lead - do they do their patented' easing off the throttle', thing like they did vs Giants and Seattle? if so,do they really want to allow Manning the chance to come roaring back like he's done countless times in his NFL career??

I sense a bit of over-cockiness ( if there is such a word) with Cam Newton in this game..he's been way over-confident in media day chats. Manning seems at ease.Denver rarely has been talked about ,if at all,during this week.

it has been ALL Cam,All the time..

Sanders will probably catch a TON of balls in this game,ala Julio Jones V. Carolina.

Vegas prop bets tell an interesting story: CJ Anderson's o/u rush yards is 62.5, carries 13.5 ( 4.6 per tote), while Hillman was a scant 11/35..that tells me CJ Anderson is going to have a HUGE game here..Jonathan Stewart was only slightly better at 17.5/67.5 and Cam was at 242 pass yards o.u..

also of interest, Manning pass yards prop bet o/u is 235.5.he hasn't thrown for over 220 in his past 4 games!!

Anderson gets over 20 carries, Manning throws for over 300, Sanders catches 13+ balls, and Denver wins this thing easily.

can't see the Superbowl newbie Panthers winning this game.Michael Irvin was talking about his first SB, he couldn't catch his breath the entire first quarter,he so was nervous and emotionally charged up..

does that happen to the Panthers? if Denver starts out fast and furious, Carolina has no chance in this game.

Rivera is over-matched here.

also, for the superstitious in here, teams wearing white have won 10 of the past 11 Superbowls.

Boroncos are wearing white

Last edited by a moderator:
CHUG guys> I'm open to taking side bets on 50. First beer at the draft, trading rights, have to wear opposing jersey @ draft, have to keep at least one Bronco on your roster all season, etc.

In.

Beer and opponents jersey at the draft. Lock it in.

can the 'other' CB not named Josh Norman cover Emmanuel Sanders? that's the real question here..

it's a pretty simple formula for Denver - watch film of the Atlanta game. Falcons ran the ball hard with D. Freeman 22-73. Ryan threw for 302.most telling stat in that game - carolina defense

Atl defense stifled the Panthers' running game and held Cam to just 142 passing yards. and ATl's defense isn't even that good!

key tie-in Atl to Denver? Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak's protege. I'm sure they've been exchanging information ever since the Broncos' victory against the Pats two weeks ago..

Carolina has not been tested this entire postseason,they've dealt opponents one blowout after another..but, what will happen to Carolina if Denver gets up on them early, say 10-0, 14-3 early on? it makes Cam one-dimensional,and allows Denver to unleash Von Miller.

and conversely,if Carolina gets out to a huge lead - do they do their patented' easing off the throttle', thing like they did vs Giants and Seattle? if so,do they really want to allow Manning the chance to come roaring back like he's done countless times in his NFL career??

I sense a bit of over-cockiness ( if there is such a word) with Cam Newton in this game..he's been way over-confident in media day chats. Manning seems at ease.Denver rarely has been talked about ,if at all,during this week.

Sanders will probably catch a TON of balls in this game,ala Julio Jones V. Carolina.

Vegas prop bets tell an interesting story: CJ Anderson's o/u rush yards is 62.5, carries 13.5 ( 4.6 per tote), while Hillman was a scant 11/35..that tells me CJ Anderson is going to have a HUGE game here..Jonathan Stewart was only slightly better at 17.5/67.5 and Cam was at 242 pass yards o.u..

also of interest, Manning pass yards prop bet o/u is 235.5.he hasn't thrown for over 220 in his past 4 games!!

Anderson gets over 20 carries, Manning throws for over 300, Sanders catches 13+ balls, and Denver wins this thing easily.

can't see the Superbowl newbie Panthers winning this game.Michael Irvin was talking about his first SB, he couldn't catch his breath the entire first quarter,he so was nervous and emotionally charged up..

does that happen to the Panthers? if Denver starts out fast and furious, Carolina has no chance in this game.

also, for the superstitious in here, teams wearing white have won 10 of the past 11 Superbowls.

All we heard in the week up to the NFC championship game was how there's no way the Panthers no-name CB fill-in's could cover Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals receiving corp. Fitz was going to catch a ton of balls and just wreck the Panthers secondary.

Fitz caught 4 for 30.

Sanders is going to catch 13+?!?!? Sorry, just not going to happen. The Panthers interior push and the Panthers linebackers are just too good for that to happen.

I like how you refer to Carolina not being tested in the postseason, when they played the Seahawks and the Cardinals. Just because they throttled them doesn't mean they weren't a 'test' or good teams. Even if the Broncos go up early, the Panthers won't be abandoning anything. They won't be one-dimensional. That's why they're so good. They have the capability to keep grinding with the defense they have and the offensive philosophy.

Rivera is going to win a superbowl on an 18-1 team for the second time in his life.

I don't think the Panthers are underestimating the Bronco offense or Manning. It's the two weeks of media :hophead: that have tried to bury Manning and his offense. It's hard to watch ESPN without hearing some guy say how it should be a blowout. I hope the Panthers aren't listening to all the hype that has built up over this game and just go out and do what they've been doing.

The line has been from 3.5 to 5.5. Vegas doesn't think it will be a blowout. Both teams have been great at times and good for most of the rest of the time this year. I'm a huge Panthers fan so you know who I want to win. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Broncos win. With that said, Go Panthers!
I'm sure the team is dialed in. I've been listening to 610 The Fan a lot this week - man, its nauseating. Mac is just shocked anyone thinking it can be close, or the Broncos scoring 17. I know, homers gotta homer, but its like Panther fans can't even comprehend the #1 defense or Peyton ####### Manning having success.Panther fans have played the underdog card so long that once they finally get respect, they act like they have already won it.

In.Beer and opponents jersey at the draft. Lock it in.
Done.
Didn't notice you didn't mean a straight bet. Let's do it this way.

Panthers win and cover - you owe me beer and wear a Panthers Jersey

Panthers win and don't cover - I owe you beer

Broncos win - I owe you beer and wear a Broncos Jersey

I don't want to wear a Broncos jersey after the Panthers win the freaking super bowl.

I'm sure the team is dialed in. I've been listening to 610 The Fan a lot this week - man, its nauseating. Mac is just shocked anyone thinking it can be close, or the Broncos scoring 17. I know, homers gotta homer, but its like Panther fans can't even comprehend the #1 defense or Peyton ####### Manning having success.Panther fans have played the underdog card so long that once they finally get respect, they act like they have already won it.
I agree that the 20/30 pt blowout predictions are just silly. Don't think the team feels that way, so whatever. Fans can be dumb.

In.Beer and opponents jersey at the draft. Lock it in.
Done.
Didn't notice you didn't mean a straight bet. Let's do it this way.Panthers win and cover - you owe me beer and wear a Panthers Jersey

Panthers win and don't cover - I owe you beer

Broncos win - I owe you beer and wear a Broncos Jersey

I don't want to wear a Broncos jersey after the Panthers win the freaking super bowl.
That's fair.

Not all Panther fans feel that way. Many of us are worried about all the talk of how Manning can't win, etc. Just fuels the Denver locker room, much the same way it has fueled the Panther locker room all year. Even when they were 9-0/10-0 people were still saying "who have they played?" and stuff like that. The PTI (Kornheiser especially) crew wouldn't give them any credit.. just "get back to me when they get a playoff win against SEA or GB or ARI." Now he is saying he doesn't see any way the Broncos can win. SEA and ARI are both quality teams and when the Panthers are clicking, they are very good.

As I said before, I am a big Manning fan and have pulled for Denver against everyone in the AFC and would be pulling for Denver this weekend if they were playing someone else, especially SEA.

Yeah that blowout crap is a media creation. I don't know anyone personally who is saying blowout. Obviously they think we can win but they are not acting like we already have. We've been here before and left with no trophy.

I think most normal fans (not the people that call in to talk shows and get passed the screening) know that this is going to be a tough game. I think the Panthers if they play well are the better team, but I also thought and still think that the 2007 Patriots were the better team. It's one game and a fingertip deflection on one pass or a slip could turn into the 1 play that decides the game, alah Eli's escape/Tyree's helmet catch. This isn't the 49ers/Chargers or Bears/Patriots where everyone knew that the NFC Championship was the Super Bowl.

I'm looking forward to it and I want the Panthers to win, but I know we can lose the game. A couple bad throws by Cam or Peyton will likely decide the game. I'll be honest, the more positive the media is on the Panthers, the more I've gotten worried.

Cam one dimensional? Carolina has not been tested at all this post season? Rivera over-matched by Kubiak? Come on, man. :fishy:

I don’t think that Carolina is going to abandon the run if they are only down 10 or 14 points at the end of the 1st quarter. If they are down 28 sure they abandon the run otherwise they stick to it.

Why does the Vegas prop bet tell you Anderson is going to have a huge game? I’m not saying he won’t but I don’t get anything from the bet.

Didn’t Michael Irvin win his 1st Super Bowl despite being so charged up and nervous and playing against a team with more Super Bowl experience?

Why do you say Rivera is over matched?

I don’t think that Carolina is going to abandon the run if they are only down 10 or 14 points at the end of the 1st quarter. If they are down 28 sure they abandon the run otherwise they stick to it.

Why does the Vegas prop bet tell you Anderson is going to have a huge game? I’m not saying he won’t but I don’t get anything from the bet.

Didn’t Michael Irvin win his 1st Super Bowl despite being so charged up and nervous and playing against a team with more Super Bowl experience?

Why do you say Rivera is over matched?
Rivera is over matched because he has a better winning percentage than both Kubiak and Phillips and because he is only 3-2 in the playoffs and Kubiak/Phillips are 5-7. Saying that he is over matched is silly. All 3 have had success as coordinators and head coaches and people seem to forget that Rivera won a Super Bowl as a player on the 85 Bears.

All we heard in the week up to the NFC championship game was how there's no way the Panthers no-name CB fill-in's could cover Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals receiving corp. Fitz was going to catch a ton of balls and just wreck the Panthers secondary.

Fitz caught 4 for 30.

Sanders is going to catch 13+?!?!? Sorry, just not going to happen. The Panthers interior push and the Panthers linebackers are just too good for that to happen.

I like how you refer to Carolina not being tested in the postseason, when they played the Seahawks and the Cardinals. Just because they throttled them doesn't mean they weren't a 'test' or good teams. Even if the Broncos go up early, the Panthers won't be abandoning anything. They won't be one-dimensional. That's why they're so good. They have the capability to keep grinding with the defense they have and the offensive philosophy.

Rivera is going to win a superbowl on an 18-1 team for the second time in his life.
lol @ Tanner.... no commment

Not all Panther fans feel that way. Many of us are worried about all the talk of how Manning can't win, etc. Just fuels the Denver locker room, much the same way it has fueled the Panther locker room all year. Even when they were 9-0/10-0 people were still saying "who have they played?" and stuff like that. The PTI (Kornheiser especially) crew wouldn't give them any credit.. just "get back to me when they get a playoff win against SEA or GB or ARI." Now he is saying he doesn't see any way the Broncos can win. SEA and ARI are both quality teams and when the Panthers are clicking, they are very good.

As I said before, I am a big Manning fan and have pulled for Denver against everyone in the AFC and would be pulling for Denver this weekend if they were playing someone else, especially SEA.
I don't think Rivera and the Panthers give a damn what any of the media says. They have been wrong and ignorant all year. Rivera and the Panthers do the same thing every week to prepare for teams. Media is just talk

moleculo said:
Jayrok said:
moleculo said:

That's a broad brush you sure are painting of Panthers fans.

Worm said:
dparker713 said:
Worm said:
moleculo said:

Yes, and he wasn't "impressive" in either. He's going to have to be really really good to beat the Panthers, not just "not horrible".
He was good/great during the Steelers game. badly timed drops really hurt his production that game. Against the Pats he was merely good. He certainly made key throws in tight spots in not good weather.

Has anyone heard anything about Roman Harpers eye? It seems to me like dislodging the corneal flap is a big deal, and if it got dislodged from contact once, it's in jeopardy of dislodging a couple of weeks later. I'm no LASIK expert, but it sounds bad to me and there's been really no news about it. I really hope he isn't jeopardizing his vision.

Tanner9919 said:

I don't think you made a single legit point in this entire essay.

Can I get a few grams of whatever it is you are smoking?

I think it all boils down to a low total score. I think for Denver to have a chance, they have to keep it at 17-14/16-14 type score.

I can really envision a 16 for Denver. One TD comes on a Sanders or Owens TD, throw in another Drive that falls short and they settle for a FG. The other two FGs come from a short field via a long kick off return and and short field via a Cam Int.

The key will be containing Cam in the pocket. Ware and Von can't just keep power rushing around the edges because Cam won't be there like Brady was. The middle of line has to close his middle running lane and not allow him to escape. Wolfe needs to be a force in this game. And basically let Cam try and beat you with his arm because the Denver CBs can match up well against their WRs. If they can do this, I think the pressure of the big game gets to Cam and he tries to win the game by himself and makes mistakes.

I have not seen a bunch of Panther games but from what I have observed, they seem to be a first half team. They get points early and then coast to the victory.

I think Denver has the edge on special teams and this will help with a long return and a missed Carolina FG.

No doubt, Denver will need to play almost a perfect, mistake free game to win this game against an amazing opponent.

Has anyone heard anything about Roman Harpers eye? It seems to me like dislodging the corneal flap is a big deal, and if it got dislodged from contact once, it's in jeopardy of dislodging a couple of weeks later. I'm no LASIK expert, but it sounds bad to me and there's been really no news about it. I really hope he isn't jeopardizing his vision.
They did a laser procedure and the eye is 100%.

I think it all boils down to a low total score. I think for Denver to have a chance, they have to keep it at 17-14/16-14 type score.

I can really envision a 16 for Denver. One TD comes on a Sanders or Owens TD, throw in another Drive that falls short and they settle for a FG. The other two FGs come from a short field via a long kick off return and and short field via a Cam Int.

The key will be containing Cam in the pocket. Ware and Von can't just keep power rushing around the edges because Cam won't be there like Brady was. The middle of line has to close his middle running lane and not allow him to escape. Wolfe needs to be a force in this game. And basically let Cam try and beat you with his arm because the Denver CBs can match up well against their WRs. If they can do this, I think the pressure of the big game gets to Cam and he tries to win the game by himself and makes mistakes.

I have not seen a bunch of Panther games but from what I have observed, they seem to be a first half team. They get points early and then coast to the victory.

I think Denver has the edge on special teams and this will help with a long return and a missed Carolina FG.

No doubt, Denver will need to play almost a perfect, mistake free game to win this game against an amazing opponent.
These are two NFL teams. They're much closer in talent than that. Any given Sunday and all

While I've obviously seen the same decline in Peyton that everyone has, I think that it may have gotten to the point where we're underestimating him. He's not a Trent Dilfer level bum. His unparalleled ability to read the defense and get Denver into the right play is still extremely valuable and barring a Carolina defensive or special teams TD, should be enough to keep Denver in the game assuming the All Time level Bronco defense comes to play.

I've always been a Peyton homer, so I'm admittedly biased, but I thought his WRs really let him down in the Steeler and Patriot playoff games. Perhaps some of it was rust as Brock was getting most of the reps for the last part of the season until Peyton went in cold in the San Diego game. Perhaps over the last two weeks some of that timing with Thomas and Sanders has been corrected.

I'm pulling for the Panthers, but in my playoff pool I'm taking the Broncos +4.5 and the under. I think the Panthers are the better team overall, but in a one game scenario, I think it's a coin flip.

49ers @ Panthers two years ago.

Panthers had a better defense than they do this year.
They were better but the problem with that game was the offense. We failed to punch the ball in at the goal line multiple drives. We should have had a decent lead going into half time. The defense was slightly better (15ppg vs 19ppg). The offense is a ton better 9ppg better and the offense is playing better now than the first half of the season. This team is way better than that team especially at this point of the season. Also, that SF was as good as that Panther team.

Carolina has scored 580 points and allowed 347 points (+233)

Denver has scored 398 points and allowed 330 points (+68).

The Broncos allowed 1 point per game less than the Panthers . . . but the Panthers outscored Denver by 10 ppg.

IMO, unless DEN comes up with a lot more offense than usual or an inordinate amount of turnovers, I see CAR by 10.

The Broncos allowed 1 point per game less than the Panthers . . . but the Panthers outscored Denver by 10 ppg.

IMO, unless DEN comes up with a lot more offense than usual or an inordinate amount of turnovers, I see CAR by 10.
True on the stats and maybe on the prediction. But the panthers played 3 playoff teams, Broncos played six.

While I've obviously seen the same decline in Peyton that everyone has, I think that it may have gotten to the point where we're underestimating him. He's not a Trent Dilfer level bum. His unparalleled ability to read the defense and get Denver into the right play is still extremely valuable and barring a Carolina defensive or special teams TD, should be enough to keep Denver in the game assuming the All Time level Bronco defense comes to play.

I've always been a Peyton homer, so I'm admittedly biased, but I thought his WRs really let him down in the Steeler and Patriot playoff games. Perhaps some of it was rust as Brock was getting most of the reps for the last part of the season until Peyton went in cold in the San Diego game. Perhaps over the last two weeks some of that timing with Thomas and Sanders has been corrected.

I'm pulling for the Panthers, but in my playoff pool I'm taking the Broncos +4.5 and the under. I think the Panthers are the better team overall, but in a one game scenario, I think it's a coin flip.
You are exactly right about the WRs--they have been flat out dropping the ball. DT's head is somewhere else and there a lot of chatter his mom coming out of prison has just caused a major distraction. IMO, Sanders has taken quite a few big hits this year and he tends to jump to catch the ball sometimes hoping to lessen the blow of the big hit. Now this doesn't diminish Peyton has throw some ducks that really impacts timing, but there have been some egregious drops.

Maybe it is my 46 years of Bronco homerism clouding my judgment, but I still think this game comes down to special teams. Carolina misses a critical FG and Denver gets a long return on a kickoff that sets up a good drive.

Interesting stat from SI--when Cam is pressured (192 dropbacks) his QB rating drops to 71.1 and he has a 6 TDs to a 6 INT ratio.

That puts him behind Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill and Matt Ryan in efficiency.

Denver needs to contain him in the pocket to win.

I can't wait for the game to begin. I hope my Panthers win. They are both #1 seeds and very good. At this time tomorrow they will be maybe in the 2nd quarter duking it out. :boxing:

And the Panthers points against is skewed. When you're in prevent defense early in the 3rd quarter a lot of games you're going to allow sustained drives and points.

I'm curious what the first half points against are for both teams.

Users who are viewing this thread