What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2009 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I've been fairly down on this thing all year, but with the offense in as bad a shape as it is with the rotation potentially burning up a bit with no padilla the next 20 could easily be 7-13 or so.

Sell high.

Well if David McDavid does buy the rangers I can at least say I've stayed in his house in Snowmass. Guy has this massive mansion on the mountain that sleeps maybe 14 or so. I think we piled at least a dozen in there and paid like 400 a person for a week. Nobody had any idea it was his place when we rented it, but when we got there it was obvious he has some "look at me" issues. Either that or people are trading him lots of crap with his logo on it for cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
culdeus said:
I've been fairly down on this thing all year, but with the offense in as bad a shape as it is with the rotation potentially burning up a bit with no padilla the next 20 could easily be 7-13 or so. Sell high.
Padilla is due to come off the DL next week

Millwood: The Quest for 180

Kevin Millwood's valient effort to accumulate 180 total innings and win the prize of a $12m contract next year.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 11

Number of Total Innings: 78.0

Average Innings per Start: 7.1

4-4, 3.23 ERA, 1.231 WHIP, 43 K

Number of Innings Left: 102

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 23

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 4.434

*Based on 34 starts per Year - his average as a Ranger

Better game than his last couple over the weekend. Guy deserves a better record than he has.

It is also interesting how Tex finally has gotten things together up there. He usually finds a way to get his numbers. We'll see if it matters at all later.

It is also interesting how Tex finally has gotten things together up there. He usually finds a way to get his numbers. We'll see if it matters at all later.
Yeah, I pulled out my 12 pounder in the Yankees thread giving some Big Tex opinions. I am having to eat crow right now, but just waiting until the pressure really hits up there. I think he pulls an A-Rod.

Yeah, I pulled out my 12 pounder in the Yankees thread giving some Big Tex opinions. I am having to eat crow right now, but just waiting until the pressure really hits up there. I think he pulls an A-Rod.
Discretion is the better part of something or other.Fact.This team is 10 games above .500 in the AL West and exactly .500 versus everyone else. And that includes the Houston sweep. This with a +30 run differential more or less. I just want to get that out there before people fire up the "they are up to their old tricks" posts. The Rangers did in one season make the playoffs by just stomping the AL West and middling along versus everyone else. We saw how that ended up.

Unfortunately Hamilton was put on the DL today because of his groin injury.

Hopefully just a short stay, but if it is determined to be a sports hernia he could be out months instead of two weeks.

Rangers have requested outright waivers for V Padilla. :thumbup:
Wait, what?Seriosuly?eta: Yup. Looks legit. Holy crap. He'll be back once he clears and they'll opt him to AAA I guess. Unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
For ####s sake. This pitching staff doesn't allow a ball to get out of the infield in the air till the 9th and it was caught and nothing here?

######### EST. Game started an hour ago.

Was Wang the guy we were supposed to see? Didn't think we were gonna get him?

For ####s sake. This pitching staff doesn't allow a ball to get out of the infield in the air till the 9th and it was caught and nothing here?
14 groundouts, 5 K and 4 infield outs for Feldman. Stunning. Been actually working today, so haven't been able to swing the 12 pounder around today.I ####### love this team right now.

######### EST. Game started an hour ago. Was Wang the guy we were supposed to see? Didn't think we were gonna get him?
The backend of that Yankee pitching staff is all messed up. Too bad they can't spend some money on some pitching.

I keep seeing what it would take for a team to get Peavy (I know he said no to Texas) and McLouth and wonder if JD is on the phone with similar deals.

The crap Pittsburgh got for McLouth would have been easily beaten by guys not even in our top 10 in the farm system.

I keep seeing what it would take for a team to get Peavy (I know he said no to Texas) and McLouth and wonder if JD is on the phone with similar deals.The crap Pittsburgh got for McLouth would have been easily beaten by guys not even in our top 10 in the farm system.
Not sure what you mean here......similar deals for WHO?They have no need to trade for an outfielder - even if you think McLouth is great, where would he play if Hamilton was healthy?Winning the division is not likely dependent on another OF or hitter (although at some point they may have to make a change at 1B)They need to improve the rotation, but have made strides this year and have several good arms (not ready this year for MLB) in the system. They are not going to trade future stars for older players though. The other thing that is very tough with trading for proven major league pitchers is determining whether they can pitch in Arlington. Some like Peavy who are looking for the contract beyond their current one would never agree to pitch in a ballpark that would inflate their personal stats even if it meant winning the AL West.

I keep seeing what it would take for a team to get Peavy (I know he said no to Texas) and McLouth and wonder if JD is on the phone with similar deals.The crap Pittsburgh got for McLouth would have been easily beaten by guys not even in our top 10 in the farm system.
Not sure what you mean here......similar deals for WHO?They have no need to trade for an outfielder - even if you think McLouth is great, where would he play if Hamilton was healthy?Winning the division is not likely dependent on another OF or hitter (although at some point they may have to make a change at 1B)They need to improve the rotation, but have made strides this year and have several good arms (not ready this year for MLB) in the system. They are not going to trade future stars for older players though. The other thing that is very tough with trading for proven major league pitchers is determining whether they can pitch in Arlington. Some like Peavy who are looking for the contract beyond their current one would never agree to pitch in a ballpark that would inflate their personal stats even if it meant winning the AL West.
Yeah, I was not real clear there. No, I don't see a spot for McLouth here (and not a big fan), but if that is what the going rate for that type of player is, I wonder if Texas can make a bigger/better deal later on with what they have.I have been very vocal stating that I want to stay with our kids and play this hand out. Even go as far as being sellers for more prospects if we slide out of the race. Jones, Everyday Eddie, Blalock, Omar could all be had for kids IMO. I just worry that Hicks won't have the patience if Texas is close late in the season. Guy needs something to go his way soon.

Michael Brown said:
######### EST. Game started an hour ago.

Was Wang the guy we were supposed to see? Didn't think we were gonna get him?
The backend of that Yankee pitching staff is all messed up. Too bad they can't spend some money on some pitching.
Have you watched Hughes/Pettitte/Joba lately, or are you just spouting nonsense for the sake of it?
:D Sorry, I forgot to put out the :( sign. GB Yankee fans.

Kevin Millwood's valient effort to accumulate 180 total innings and win the prize of a $12m contract next year.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 12

Number of Total Innings: 85.0

Average Innings per Start: 7.1

5-4, 2.96 ERA, 1.259 WHIP, 48 K

Number of Innings Left: 95

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 22

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 4.318

We are looking at being past the halfway mark after his next start. If you would have told me that at the beginning of the season, I would have claimed crack smoking somewhere.

There is talks beginning to start that the starting rotation might burn out based on work load and start to have more injuries. I think Nolan is smarter than that and has a plan for the whole season. When Harrison comes back off the DL you will go back to having 6 legit starters, a very fresh bullpen and a AAA staff that is more than likely bored waiting for that bus to Arlington to show up.

This is such unchartered territory for this team, someone has to come up with some reason for it to all fall apart.

2 out of 3 in Fenway!!! Perfect way to come home for the 10-game homestand. Still up by 4.5 over LAAAAA and it is interesting that SEA and OAK aren't going away just yet. This is fun stuff.

Hamilton to have surgery tomorrow. Out 4-6 weeks.

Francisco feeling better. Day to day.

Matt Harrison may start Thursday.

Jon Daniels sounds even smarter when sitting next to Washington and Nolan.

I smell panic trade coming.
I really hope not. I don't think they need to trade for a bat. The bat is waiting on the DL (Hamilton), AA (Smoak, Moreland) or AAA (if MaxRam can get it together, Borbon). Please Daniels, for all that is holy, DO NOT trade for a bullpen arm. That rarely works out, and never works out for Texas. I would consider a starting pitcher, but it would have to be special, like Peavy. I still think Ben Sheets is a Ranger before the season is done. And he costs you zero prospects.

I really hope not. I don't think they need to trade for a bat. The bat is waiting on the DL (Hamilton), AA (Smoak, Moreland) or AAA (if MaxRam can get it together, Borbon). Please Daniels, for all that is holy, DO NOT trade for a bullpen arm. That rarely works out, and never works out for Texas. I would consider a starting pitcher, but it would have to be special, like Peavy. I still think Ben Sheets is a Ranger before the season is done. And he costs you zero prospects.
Will Sheets still cost picks?

Will Sheets still cost picks?
Not after June X (not sure of exact date, but it is early June) and Sheets is not ready to start pitching yet anyway, so no hurry. Assuming no setbacks for him and doctors agreeing I would expect him to sign with the Rangers in June, start rehabbing and then pitching in minor league games to be available (if all goes well) in late August or September.....................but pretty sure if he does sign it will be for this year AND next year at a minimum (and that is all it should be IMO).

Ya, I've been fearing this. I think for the most part if they can keep beating up the AL West and going .500 versus everyone else they'll make the playoffs and get bounced.

There's no offense at all to be had anymore. That's the scary part. They have no one to bring up to get Davis back to AAA, and that's just the start of things. These guys just aren't hitting inside the park and moving runners around except 4 bases at at time. That was going to be unsustainable.

That squeeze the other night again had me swearing at the OSB. Just stupid. The guy needs to BTFU on some stuff.

It is not about this year.... right??

Still up by 3.5 games. 2nd best record in the AL.

It is not about this year...

Day One draft "winner", looks to add 2 more stud arms to the number one farm system in baseball.

Enjoy the ride. Daniels/Ryan are in a groove. The kids are coming, the ones already here are getting huge experience. This team is still due to be completely healthy at some point in the season and the bats start clicking. Your pitching staff is fighting the injury bug, but you are still more solid 1-5 than you have been in years.

The Rangers just signed 39 to 43 year-old El Duque Orlando Hernandez to a minor league contract.

The kids are coming??

You didn't like the Aki trade a couple years back? :excited:

tommyGunZ said:
You didn't like the Aki trade a couple years back? :moneybag:
Is that Padres fans have to hang on to? Winning a trade while their team payroll is close to A-Rod's and you want to trade your star pitcher. Please.

The Rangers may have significantly added to their collection of minor league talents - especially where more than most teams they need it most - pitching.

Overall they drafted 51 players - 30 pitchers and 21 position players - we will have to see how many of them - especially the really good ones they can sign to contracts.

Their first two picks, #14 in the first round, and #43 in the first supplemental round were both ranked in the Top 10 players in the draft by Baseball America.

#14 was Matthew Purke, a LHP out of Klein HS in Texas

They were very fortunate at their supplemental pick to find RHP Tanner Scheppers still available - Scheppers, out of Fresno State, was drafted by Pittsburgh last year in the second round but never signed to a coantract. He pitched this year in the Independent League.

In the second round they drafted 3B Thomas Mendonca who played at Fresno State, is a left handed power hitter who is also an excellent defensive third baseman.

Six of the 51 picks have already signed, the highest draftee of those being Ruben Sierra Jr, drafted in the sixth round out of San Juan Educational (High) School and son of the former Ranger and Blue Jay.

I don't know many of the players drafted in the latter rounds, but two scouts have told me there were some very good arms among the picks.

I'm a fan of the draft so far.

OSB had me throwing things again last night with the Wilson left-lefty bull####. He never looks at head to head stuff, at all.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 13

Number of Total Innings: 92.6

Average Innings per Start: 7.12

6-4, 2.72 ERA, 1.209 WHIP, 49 K

Number of Innings Left: 87.3

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 21

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 4.158

More than halfway after only 13 starts. As the weather gets hotter, I can see a couple of starts where he does not go long, but at this point, only a trip to the DL will keep this from happening. He could be within 60 innings before the All-Star break. With Padilla gone next season, it will be Millwood and the Kids in the rotation next year.

The Rangers may have significantly added to their collection of minor league talents - especially where more than most teams they need it most - pitching.Overall they drafted 51 players - 30 pitchers and 21 position players - we will have to see how many of them - especially the really good ones they can sign to contracts.Their first two picks, #14 in the first round, and #43 in the first supplemental round were both ranked in the Top 10 players in the draft by Baseball America.#14 was Matthew Purke, a LHP out of Klein HS in TexasThey were very fortunate at their supplemental pick to find RHP Tanner Scheppers still available - Scheppers, out of Fresno State, was drafted by Pittsburgh last year in the second round but never signed to a coantract. He pitched this year in the Independent League.In the second round they drafted 3B Thomas Mendonca who played at Fresno State, is a left handed power hitter who is also an excellent defensive third baseman.Six of the 51 picks have already signed, the highest draftee of those being Ruben Sierra Jr, drafted in the sixth round out of San Juan Educational (High) School and son of the former Ranger and Blue Jay.I don't know many of the players drafted in the latter rounds, but two scouts have told me there were some very good arms among the picks.
Love what Texas did with the draft. Their mentality of BPA and not worrying as much about signability makes them extremely strong overall. The best system getting better. Having a good system allows Texas to take a chance and draft a guy that may not sign. If he does not sign, it does not destroy your system, and if he does sign, you just get that much better.I have said this before, but I picture Jon Daniels sitting at a poker table with all of the other GMs in baseball, and he has the biggest stack of chips in front of him. Now it comes down to how he plays with those chips. A few wrong plays and your system gets real average again.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 14

Number of Total Innings: 99.6

Average Innings per Start: 7.119

7-4, 2.62 ERA, 1.194 WHIP, 55 K

Number of Innings Left: 80.3

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 20

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 4.016

If only we got to play Houston more. Get one more win easily tonight to go to 6-0 most likely and damn if LA isn't making up ground. I haven't even looked to see who their "rival" they will have to play in lieu of the dodgers this year. Colorado?

If only we got to play Houston more. Get one more win easily tonight to go to 6-0 most likely and damn if LA isn't making up ground. I haven't even looked to see who their "rival" they will have to play in lieu of the dodgers this year. Colorado?
Next week for Angels = home for 3 versus Colorado and then @ Arizona for three

Progress:

Number of Starts: 15

Number of Total Innings: 106.6

Average Innings per Start: 7.111

7-5, 2.62 ERA, 1.219 WHIP, 65 K

Number of Innings Left: 73.3

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 19

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 3.859

On pace for the season: 241.6 (personal best: 228.0)

Millwood is just making this boring now. Added his on pace number to see if he passes his personal best of 228.0 innings in a season. Average needed now dipped below 4 innings per start.

Next week for Angels = home for 3 versus Colorado and then @ Arizona for three
So how did they handle the Dodger thing? I don't really care at this point it is what it is. I really am bored of interleague play. I could give two ##### about the stupid NL. That used to be one of the things I really liked about beisbol in that you could concentrate on getting to know the guys on half the teams. Whatever, it's almost over anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread