What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2012 Thread*** (3 Viewers)

6 years/$60 million guaranteed.Yu Darvish is a Texas Ranger.
Curious move, IMO. They a let quality known quantity in CJ walk for 5/75, then sign a huge question mark for 6/111.
John Daniels has stated they felt Darvish was the best available pitcher on the open market this off-season. 18.5 mil for Darvish vs. 15 mil for CJ seems about right considering Darvish is 6 year younger. Based on JD's recent track record, I'll give him the benfit of the doubt.

Curious move, IMO. They a let quality known quantity in CJ walk for 5/75, then sign a huge question mark for 6/111.
Yeah that does seem a little curious, doesn't it. Though Darvis is six years younger.
I think it will be rationalized as part of the balloon payment by Fox Sports that came up this year. Basically they just endorsed that check over to Japan and went on as before.

John Daniels has stated they felt Darvish was the best available pitcher on the open market this off-season. 18.5 mil for Darvish vs. 15 mil for CJ seems about right considering Darvish is 6 year younger. Based on JD's recent track record, I'll give him the benfit of the doubt.
There were consensus opinions on Matsuzaka, Irabu, etc. as being the "next big thing" at the time of their arrivals as well. I know Darvish is his own man, but you have to wonder about handing out this kind of cash for a man that has never step foot on a major league rubber.The move could pay off, but it does carry significant risk. Risk that I would argue the Rangers don't necessarily need. They're already very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YU

Now I can hardly (sarcasm for those of you who can't read it) until the throng of Japanese reporters and photographers arrive at the Surprise Recreation Complex......in fact I just called the Community Recreation Director to have a laugh about it....the security will have to be ramped up exponentially.

should be fun though :popcorn:

I will be at Darvish's first home start. You can't put a price on that spectacle.

JD pretty much avoided questions about if the Rangers were done this off-season. You could tell that he wanted to give the Darvish signing the moment, and said that it would be a few days before they look at anything else. The fact that the contract itself was not insane (I think ownership just considers the posting fee as an operational expense and not part of payroll) and spread out over 6 years, I would not be surprised if they pull the trigger on Fielder.

Sounds like they are basically planning to load Fielder up in the years after Hamilton and Young are off the books with some crazy out option thrown in for good measure.

Amazing nobody took a stab at the guy. Think the Angels want a do-over knowing they could have had Fielder at half price of Poohols?

Sounds like they are basically planning to load Fielder up in the years after Hamilton and Young are off the books with some crazy out option thrown in for good measure.

Amazing nobody took a stab at the guy. Think the Angels want a do-over knowing they could have had Fielder at half price of Poohols?
Thisabove is wrong - Fielder is asking almost as much as Pujols

'Captain Hook said:
'culdeus said:

Thisabove is wrong - Fielder is asking almost as much as Pujols
asking <> getting

Pitchers going into Spring Training thinking they are starters:

Lewis

Holland

Darvish

Feliz

Harrison

Ogando

Feldman

Two of these guys are going to be disappointed. I hope the decision is made on merit and that no one is hurt. Still a good problem to have.

Two of these guys will join Nathan, Adams, Lowe, Uehara, Tateyama in the bullpen. I think it's going to end up being Feldman and Ogando. If I were the OSB, I would pull a Minor League move and pair Feliz and Ogando together. Feliz pitches 5 innings each start and then Ogando is the automatic first guy out of the Pen to relieve him, pitching 2 innings or so, to get to the 8th and 9th inning guys. Feldman is your long guy for all the other starters, and maybe get a spot start if you need to give Darvish an extra day off as he adapts to the MLB schedule.

Pitchers going into Spring Training thinking they are starters:LewisHollandDarvishFelizHarrisonOgandoFeldmanTwo of these guys are going to be disappointed. I hope the decision is made on merit and that no one is hurt. Still a good problem to have.Two of these guys will join Nathan, Adams, Lowe, Uehara, Tateyama in the bullpen. I think it's going to end up being Feldman and Ogando. If I were the OSB, I would pull a Minor League move and pair Feliz and Ogando together. Feliz pitches 5 innings each start and then Ogando is the automatic first guy out of the Pen to relieve him, pitching 2 innings or so, to get to the 8th and 9th inning guys. Feldman is your long guy for all the other starters, and maybe get a spot start if you need to give Darvish an extra day off as he adapts to the MLB schedule.
Not true - Ogando has already said he is fine going back to the bullpen (at least they told someone this time) and Feldman didn't have a rotation spot anyway - he will continue to be the long/swingman for the staff (and maybe he deserves a spot but not going to happen and he was very good in relief)

Looks like Moreland gets the chance to prove he is better when healthy.

The infield seems set with Moreland, Kinsler, Elvis and Beltre. Young backs up every position and starts at DH. Napoli/Yorvit catches. Napoli will also play some 1B.

The only question really going into Spring Training is who is going to join Hamilton and Cruz in the OF. Will it be Murphy with Josh starting in CF or will it be Martin or Gentry with Josh in the corner.

Feels like the team might be missing a utility guy, unless they are just going to roll with 5 OF, 5 Inf and 3 catchers ( :bye: Luis Martinez). That leaves room for 12 pitchers on the opening day 25.

And not to mess too much with the other threads, but from a Texas perspective, as much as I wanted Fielder to join this thing. 9 years and $214 is just insane. I will gladly stay away from that kind of contract.

And not to mess too much with the other threads, but from a Texas perspective, as much as I wanted Fielder to join this thing. 9 years and $214 is just insane. I will gladly stay away from that kind of contract.
Who is a bigger risk of significantly underperforming their deal: Fielder @ 9/214 or Darvish @ 6/108? Obviously the years and money is greater for Prince but he has much more of a proven track record. The posting fee is a difference from a cash flow perspective but needs to be figured in somewhere.

Who is a bigger risk of significantly underperforming their deal: Fielder @ 9/214 or Darvish @ 6/108? Obviously the years and money is greater for Prince but he has much more of a proven track record. The posting fee is a difference from a cash flow perspective but needs to be figured in somewhere.
I think I've read that they both need to average a WAR of 4 over the life of their deals to be "worth it". I'll take the shorter deal on that bet. 9 years for someone built like Prince is a big risk. Boras did a hell of a job. Yu has no track record in the MLB, but it's not like he's a total unknown either.

I agree, both are huge risks. Trying to put bias aside, I like the Darvish risk better.For one, I think he sees all six years of his contract. You would feel safe betting on a physically fit 25 year old Darvish over the 27 year old portly Fielder. I know that Fielder has played in all the games, never misses, etc but you have to think that body breaks down well before the 9 years are up.18 million a year is easier to swallow that 24 million a year. Not my money, but I think Detroit will be the first to utter "we can't get player X due to financial constrants" before Texas does, no matter how rich the owners are. This is still a business.Both instantly become the face of their franchise, in much different ways. The financial benefit to both clubs should be about the same. Potential vs. results. Fielder has done it, will he continue to do it? Darvish has never done it, but has the chance to be something special. JD and Nolan have earned my trust, I have to go with what they see in Darvish.

:goodposting: The Tigers are INSANE for the contract given to Prince but giving $108 Million to a guy who has never faced big league hitters is perfectly normal.Hello :homer:
I agree, both are huge risks. Trying to put bias aside, I like the Darvish risk better.For one, I think he sees all six years of his contract. You would feel safe betting on a physically fit 25 year old Darvish over the 27 year old portly Fielder. I know that Fielder has played in all the games, never misses, etc but you have to think that body breaks down well before the 9 years are up.18 million a year is easier to swallow that 24 million a year. Not my money, but I think Detroit will be the first to utter "we can't get player X due to financial constrants" before Texas does, no matter how rich the owners are. This is still a business.Both instantly become the face of their franchise, in much different ways. The financial benefit to both clubs should be about the same. Potential vs. results. Fielder has done it, will he continue to do it? Darvish has never done it, but has the chance to be something special. JD and Nolan have earned my trust, I have to go with what they see in Darvish.
Whole lotta fluff here.

'Bogart said:
'RnR said:
Bogart homering it up in the Rangers thread? ALERT THE MEDIA!
Yep, welcome to Fluff Central. No opinions, no researched thoughts, just fluff.
:lmao: Changed the topic description and everything. Get the fluff outta here!
Yeah, here in the Rangers thread, we want everyone to feel welcome.Even, arrogant blowhards who spout only solid non-fluff, intelligent, sports opinions.

'Bogart said:
'RnR said:
Yeah, here in the Rangers thread, we want everyone to feel welcome.Even, arrogant blowhards who spout only solid non-fluff, intelligent, sports opinions.
Good grief, be more sensitive please.How am I an arrogant blowhard just because I called you out on your post about how the Fielder contract was "INSANE"?.....yet the Darvish contract is perfectly fine. Be honest, it's a homer's view.

'Bogart said:
'RnR said:
Good grief, be more sensitive please.How am I an arrogant blowhard just because I called you out on your post about how the Fielder contract was "INSANE"?.....yet the Darvish contract is perfectly fine. Be honest, it's a homer's view.
Hey, don't worry about us fluff talkers. Shouldn't you be working on Longoria's next contract?

'Bogart said:
'RnR said:
Hey, don't worry about us fluff talkers. Shouldn't you be working on Longoria's next contract?
Are all Ranger fans as sensitive as you? :cry: I should be working Evan's contract but apparently he'd rather just take whatever the Rays feel like giving him.

'Bogart said:
'RnR said:
Are all Ranger fans as sensitive as you? :cry: I should be working Evan's contract but apparently he'd rather just take whatever the Rays feel like giving him.
No, I'm the only sensitive one. :bye:

Happy Birthday Nolan!!

324 Wins

5714 Strikeouts

7 No-Hitters

2795 Walks

292 Losses

1 beatdown of Robin Ventura

I bet he still could hit 85 on the gun today.

Well. Maybe Josh will cool his ego a bit now and sign an extension with some options that he can earn out. Curious to hear the rest of the story.

Hearing he and Kinsler were out at Sherlock's. WTF was kinsler thinking?!

'ctdub said:
Well. Maybe Josh will cool his ego a bit now and sign an extension with some options that he can earn out. Curious to hear the rest of the story.
Well that's a cynical take on a tough personal issue

'ctdub said:
Yeah seriously. I mean what ego? The guy wants a long-term extension. I don't live in Texas, but I don't hear him barking about it every day or anything is he? Obviously there are reasons why a team wouldn't want to invest several years and millions of dollars in him cause of stuff like this, but it's not like his performance hasn't warranted it to this point. The contract stuff is going to be interesting, but I just hope the guy can get back on track. Such a fun player to watch, and easily my favorite non-Yankee playing today.

I was worried this would happen after the whole throwing the ball into the stands thing. Wish him the best

'ctdub said:
Yeah seriously. I mean what ego? The guy wants a long-term extension. I don't live in Texas, but I don't hear him barking about it every day or anything is he? Obviously there are reasons why a team wouldn't want to invest several years and millions of dollars in him cause of stuff like this, but it's not like his performance hasn't warranted it to this point. The contract stuff is going to be interesting, but I just hope the guy can get back on track. Such a fun player to watch, and easily my favorite non-Yankee playing today.
Not cynical at all. Ego may not have been the best word. I've personally felt like he has had a chip on his shoulder since his words about Dave Anderson after his injury this season and then some of the contract rumors coming out that he wants a Jason Werth -Carl Crawford type deal. I just feel he is being a little unreasonable for a guy as unstable with his addiction and injury history. Maybe ego isn't the right word. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I like him a lot and I hope he's a ranger for life and can overcome his demons. He most likely did just cost himself some leverage in contract negotiations and that's what I was saying.

I hate to see this for Josh. I really do.

As much as I want to talk about what this does for his contract talks, etc, I just really want him and his family to be able to get past this. The guy has demons that most people have no clue about, and he has to fight his in front of the fans, the media and the Internet.

Josh spoke with the media.

From what he said, and other info is coming out, he is not living in his house, and was staying just a few blocks from this bar. Could be marital issues at home, and he felt the need to have a couple of beers. He told Kinsler that he was only going to have 3 or 4, but of course he didn't stop there.

'ctdub said:
Hearing he and Kinsler were out at Sherlock's. WTF was kinsler thinking?!
Kinsler was there trying to get Josh to leave.
Josh cleared this up as well:He had already had a few drinks when he called Kinsler up to join him. He did NOT drink any while Kinsler was there, and then went back out after he and Kisler left Sherlocks.

Conor Jackson and Joe Beimel signed to minor league deals today, with invites to Spring Training.

I was a Jackson fan from way back when he was suppose to be in a package deal for Teixeria back in the day. I don't see a spot for him on the 25 man, but you never know what might happen.

The Rangers and Elvis Andrus avoid arbitration this year and the next two with a three year deal worth $14.5 million.

Taking care of your own...

This is going to be really odd if he wasn't drinking and instead went to a random bar to hookup with some chick in a bathroom.

Nelson Cruz with a 2 year deal for $16 million. Sounds about right. He is basically getting what he wanted in arbitration this year and a million dollar raise the year after. That gives him 2 years to see if he can stay healthy for a full season and at the end he will be 33, good for one big contract.

Really curious to see how Napoli's situation plays out. I won't even pretend to know what kind of deal would be fair for him.

Users who are viewing this thread