What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2015 Thread*** - Congrats Banister! (1 Viewer)

Disco Stu said:
Also, Wash press conference in ten minutes. :popcorn:

Edit: live video here
Wash quit a few weeks ago. There was really no need to have a presser to disclose that he cheated on his wife. Cheating is rampant in professional sports and always has been. Wash was married 42 years and in baseball almost as long..to go that long without getting caught is a pretty good feat in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disco Stu said:

Wash quit a few weeks ago. There was really no need to have a presser to disclose that he cheated on his wife. Cheating is rampant in professional sports and always has been. Wash was married 42 years and in baseball almost as long..to go that long without getting caught is a pretty good feat in itself.
I'm convinced he was banging someone that followed the team. The original rumor was probably close to reality.

It's been said that his wife didn't trust him to travel with the team and that was the trigger.

So he was banging the asian beat reporter and she wanted him to leave his wife and he said no, so she said she'd cry rape. Or else he really did rough her up and she has the goods, but no charges yet.

Disco Stu said:

There's more to the story than a simple affair. I heard within a day or so of the Rangers announcing he stepped down, he hired a major Dallas law firm. I don't know all the rumors, but I have heard that sexual assault was one speculation. I could see it being true, or a spurned mistress trying to make trouble. I've always loved Wash, but I also have a tough time believing he'd walk away from the game based on empty/untrue threats. I'd also think him and his wife could come to some agreement where he could end and makeup for his infidelity without quitting his job.I hope I'm wrong, but the way things have played out and the way both the team and Wash has framed the situation leads me to believe there's a layer to this we don't know.

It was really great seeing Chris Chris fail to make it out of the first. :thumbup:
I'm sure he landed a plane after the game, raced Grand Prix and banged his supermodel wife, but yes, seeing his mug in the dugout was priceless.

:AntsMarching:

culdeus said:
Never heard of this guy. Who is it? What was so wrong with the interim guy?
Pirates bench coach. Read a few things on him and Hurdle the last few days and think this sounds like a good hire.

Re: not hiring Bogar. He was the favorite going into this process and most likely had a leg up on the competition, but Banister was a better fit. After the last 3 seasons I'd be ok with all coaches being gone. Clean house and start fresh. I bet Maddux is back though and that's cool.

culdeus said:
Bogar hit .228 as a major leaguer, Banister hit 1.000. You can't help but lean towards the better results.

culdeus said:
Bogar hit .228 as a major leaguer, Banister hit 1.000. You can't help but lean towards the better results.
Was pulling for a Bogar hire solely for the Bogar(t) shtick potential. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, by all means rush the decision to hire a manager. No chance a solid proven manager opts out of his contract a week after hiring a pirates bench coach.

Michael Young hired as Special Assistant to the GM.

Do you get an office in that role? A cubicle? Or does JD just call you on the golf course and ask your opinion on a player?

Do you get an office in that role? A cubicle? Or does JD just call you on the golf course and ask your opinion on a player?
This was Matheny's role with the Cardinals after he retired as a player, which was in reality grooming him to be the next manager. Could see that being their plan for Young.

This was Matheny's role with the Cardinals after he retired as a player, which was in reality grooming him to be the next manager. Could see that being their plan for Young.
:mellow:

Although I guess I don't know anything about Mikey's managerial skills, I guess he could theoretically good at it. Definitely no worse than the last guy.

Got to like the Gallardo trade. Yu, Holland, Gallardo, Lewis, is a solid 1-4. If all stay healthy they should cover 800+ innings. Teppesch, Martinez and Chi-Chi hold down the 5th spot and hopefully Perez can make it back at some point.

Rangers are 40-1 to win the WS, longer odds than the Braves ( :loco: ), Marlins, Mets, and Padres.

i think the Rangers will win 15 more games than the Braves.

A combination of

• 3 AWFUL contracts
  • An aging rotation with no real proven 4th/5th starter
  • Farm system starting to deplete and or flame out
Is going to sink this thing for the medium to long term. Unwillingness to part with one or both of Elvis or Profar at their peak is going to haunt the team for perhaps more than 5 years.

This town will turn on you in a heartbeat if you can't win. I fully expect the park to be damn near empty this summer. TV ratings were cratering last year. I know personally I didn't watch 9 innings total past fathers day. Too much good TV on to watch a bunch of AAA spares get torched night in and night out.

A combination of

• 3 AWFUL contracts
Is going to sink this thing for the medium to long term. Unwillingness to part with one or both of Elvis or Profar at their peak is going to haunt the team for perhaps more than 5 years.

This town will turn on you in a heartbeat if you can't win. I fully expect the park to be damn near empty this summer. TV ratings were cratering last year. I know personally I didn't watch 9 innings total past fathers day. Too much good TV on to watch a bunch of AAA spares get torched night in and night out.
If anyone ever wondered what a fair-weather fan looked like...

depleted farm system?

Rangers farm system just ranked #11 in MLB by Keith Law.

sure, it was better a few years ago, but talk about seeing the glass half-empty

A combination of

• 3 AWFUL contracts

If anyone ever wondered what a fair-weather fan looked like...
Like I give a ####. Baseball is a major time investment. I'm not going to sit through a ton of garbage games to prove my value as a fan. Life is way too short. I've always kept up with the comings and goings of this thing whether or not I'm catching the next Nick Tepech start that's surely set to propel him into the Cy Young race. Interesting games you can always catch in the mlb rewind in about 8 minutes over coffee.

Yu has 2 more years and he's gone he could be super high value trade bait. Holland is a tbd at this point, I think he's probably going to be solid. Detwiler hasn't thrown more than 100 innings but once in his career. I don't really understand the appeal in Gallardo, he's a 1.3+WHIP guy. That doesn't go well with our defense.

Maybe Perez turns into an Ace and makes Yu expendable as massive trade chip.

I'm just not a huge fan of the way Simpson is running things. He wanted some money thrown at people and it's changed the dynamics here.

Unwillingness to part with one or both of Elvis or Profar at their peak is going to haunt the team for perhaps more than 5 years.
Profar shoulder surgery.

Hindsight 20/20, but holy balls what we could have gotten for him 2 years ago.
Should Rangers Trade Profar For Taveras?

By Charlie Wilmoth [April 21, 2013 at 8:13pm CST]

The Rangers and Cardinals have not discussed the possibility of trading top shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar for top outfield prospect Oscar Taveras, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. A trade of the two teams' No. 1 prospects would make a great deal of sense in terms of those teams' needs, but it would be tough to pull off. "The Cardinals need a shortstop. The Rangers need an outfielder. The answer is there for both for years to come," one American League official tells Goold. "You just can’t do it. You can’t be the guy who is wrong if one works out and becomes a star as expected and the other doesn’t. Then you’re the new Brock-for-Broglio guy."

Buck Bradcanon said:
Unwillingness to part with one or both of Elvis or Profar at their peak is going to haunt the team for perhaps more than 5 years.
Profar shoulder surgery.

Hindsight 20/20, but holy balls what we could have gotten for him 2 years ago.
With that spindly little kid body was there really hope he'd not be an injury risk?

Can we get both Odor brothers to wear the same number and then the better hitter can hit, the better fielder field. If it works in wrestling, why can't it work in baseball?

Two tidbits:

Beltre's option gets exercised by the team before the season so there will be no AB counting. Solid move all the way around.

OSB has been calling several teams, with no one returning his calls. His first Spring Training without a gig since high school.

Two tidbits:

Beltre's option gets exercised by the team before the season so there will be no AB counting. Solid move all the way around.

OSB has been calling several teams, with no one returning his calls. His first Spring Training without a gig since high school.
Did any manager leave in a cloud more with so little scrutiny than he did?

Hey Rangers fans, congratulations on getting a new bill passed that will retrofit the stadium to allow Prince Fielder to walk inside it without destroying it. He's a free agent this year, right?

I think when the final chapter is written here the main issue will be that JD was a better GM when this was a smaller market team.

I think he was given a blank checkbook at the worst possible time in the worst possible situation.

Cruz makes that play and I think you just ride out what you have and develop your farm while selling for a run in 16/17 when your tv deal is full force.

Cruz misses the play and now you have a management that wants to get back there before the key pieces are all gone or old. You also with a WS win sure as hell don't see profar pushed up so quickly or all the #freeolt nonsense. Those were the sign of a GM in panic mode.

I'm not sure if it's the owner forcing the awful trades/contracts or JD just not knowing how to spend big money. Probably a little of both but JD imo is likely gone after this year.

Then you also have the really awkward way he dealt with Ron and to an extent the Hamilton stuff. He may be a better behind the scenes guy than a true GM.

How can you blame Daniels for Ron Washington's escapades or anything but good related to Hamilton?
Because in hindsight Ron needed to go after the coke incident. There was probably more stuff we didn't even see or hear about and we judge it based on that once incident, but clearly Ron had a closet full of skeletons. And he wasn't that great a manager. The beat writers for this team are lazy and leave the page 6 stuff to the NY press.

Hamilton stuff was probably out of JD's control. And there wasn't much that could be done from his department one way or the other there. It just shows they don't have a strong PR staff or way of dealing with off field stuff in a more clear manner. And that changes the lockeroom feel.

I think when the final chapter is written here the main issue will be that JD was a better GM when this was a smaller market team.

I think he was given a blank checkbook at the worst possible time in the worst possible situation.

Cruz makes that play and I think you just ride out what you have and develop your farm while selling for a run in 16/17 when your tv deal is full force.

Cruz misses the play and now you have a management that wants to get back there before the key pieces are all gone or old. You also with a WS win sure as hell don't see profar pushed up so quickly or all the #freeolt nonsense. Those were the sign of a GM in panic mode.

I'm not sure if it's the owner forcing the awful trades/contracts or JD just not knowing how to spend big money. Probably a little of both but JD imo is likely gone after this year.

Then you also have the really awkward way he dealt with Ron and to an extent the Hamilton stuff. He may be a better behind the scenes guy than a true GM.
Makes you pine for the Toby Harrah days when life was simple.

John Daniels has been outside of an incredible trade an average at best GM. Farm system largely overrated, kept a manager that was a mismatch to him too long, and has spent money oddly. he does sound smart on the radio though.

Congrats to Ryan Rua being named the starting LF. And to Smolinski for making the 25.

Remember when this team use to be fun to talk about every day? Yeah, me too. Hope we get there again.

Users who are viewing this thread