What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Texas Vs The Nation Thread** (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
We'll be covering Texas Vs The Nation all week over at Draftguys and we'll certainly be profiling some of these players during the second season of Draftguys TV.

Chase Patton(QB-Missouri) - Now that Matt Cassel has proved that a backup college QB can be a good starter in the NFL, everyone wants to know if there are any other backups who might have NFL game even though they were blocked for their entire college career. We think we've found the answer- Chase Patton has ideal NFL size at 6'5" 220, and he was highly touted coming out Rock Bridge HS in Missouri. He was Rivals #4 QB in the country in 2003, and their #69 overall prospect. This week he'll get a chance to show the scouts why he could be the next Cassel.

Curtis Painter(QB-Purdue) - Painter came into the season ready to jump into the draft's top 50 with a good season in Joe Tiller's spread offense that produced NFL starting QBs Drew Brees and Kyle Orton. Instead, Painter's year was marred with a shoulder injury and he threw only 13 touchdowns against 11 interceptions. None of the Senior QB class have made a strong move at the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game, so Painter has a chance to jump well into the top 10 QBs taken in April with a good postseason.

Branden Ore(RB-West Liberty State) - You might remember Ore from his 1,137 yard, 16 touchdown season as a sophomore at Virginia Tech in 2006. Ore barely missed back to back thousand seasons with 992 yards in 2007, but the year was considered a disappointment for a back that seemed to be on the verge of superstardom. Frank Beamer decided it was best for Ore and the Hokies to part ways in March 2008, so he finished his career at West Liberty State with his cousin DB Darren Banks. Just like current Pittsburgh Steeler RB Gary Russell, Ore's road to NFL redemption begins in El Paso.

Devin Moore(RB-Wyoming) - If you're looking for this year's Chris Johnson, Moore might be your man. By all accounts, Moore should run a sub 4.4 40, but maybe not at the combine - Moore hasn't gotten an invitation, but he says he's using that to fuel him. Moore topped 1,300 yards rushing and 2,000 all purpose yards this year.

Nick Moore(WR-Toledo) - Many people hadn't heard of Lance Moore before he broke out for the New Orleans Saints this year, this is your chance to get the dirt on his brother Nick while we watch him this week in El Paso. Big brother Lance may still hold all the records at Toledo, but little brother Nick is actually bigger at about 6'3" 195. Moore will try to revive memories of his 20 catch day (no that's not a typo) at Michigan Stadium when the Rockets upset the Wolverines this year.

Devon Drew(TE-East Carolina) - Drew came to East Carolina as a QB - a QB shaped like fellow Pirate and current Jacksonville Jaguar starter David Garrard. After two years on the bench as a QB, Drew was converted to H-Back/TE and he took to the position well. Drew finished with 38 catches for 575 yards and three touchdowns this year - not including his five catch, 120 yard day against Kentucky in the Liberty Bowl.

Cornelius Lewis(OL-Tennessee State) - Lewis has an NFL frame at 6'5" 314 and he played at Florida State before being dismissed from the team in 2006. He dominated the Ohio Valley Conference the way you'd expect a future pro to, making the first team FCS all-American team as a left tackle.

Rulon Davis(DL-California) - Davis is older than the typical draft prospect at 25 years old, but we'll forgive him since he spent four years in the Marines, including a six month tour of duty in Iraq. Davis also survived a near-fatal motorcycle accident, so obviously toughness and perseverance are not issues. Davis has experience playing end in a 3-4 at Cal, which has to be attractive to a league that continues to add to the list of teams playing that defense as their base set.

Maurice Crum(LB-Notre Dame) - If the name sounds familiar, that's because Crum's dad Maurice Crum Sr. was an all-American linebacker at Miami in 1990. Crum Jr. has made a name for himself by being a rare four year starter at Notre Dame. He was also named captain twice and played all three linebacker positions in the Fighting Irish defense.

Joe Burnett(DB-Central Florida) - Not many players get named to their all-conference team at three positions, but Burnett did this year in Conference USA (Cornerback, Punt Returner, Kick Returner). He started his career at Central Florida by being named to three different freshman All-American teams, and kept up his level of play ever since, earning eight different first team all-conference awards in his four years as part of the Knights.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll be covering Texas Vs The Nation all week over at Draftguys and we'll certainly be profiling some of these players during the second season of Draftguys TV.

Joe Burnett(DB-Central Florida) - Not many players get named to their all-conference team at three positions, but Burnett did this year in Conference USA (Cornerback, Punt Returner, Kick Returner). He started his career at Central Florida by being named to three different freshman All-American teams, and kept up his level of play ever since, earning eight different first team all-conference awards in his four years as part of the Knights.
Burnett's the real deal. I hesitate to even remotely guess where he'll be grading out with scouts, but I've seen him play a bit. The only thing he really lacks is top-of-the-line speed, which I'm sure will hurt him some. Great ball skills and good body control though, and after starting at DB for four years there's not much he probably hasn't seen thrown at him as far as moves, etc. He was just disgusting as a scholastic, athletics-wise, as well. Lettered in just about every sport at Eustis High and was a standout for their basketball team as well as football. Been hearing this kid's name for a while now since he played his HS and college ball local.As a returner, he's fantastic. Not sure if he pulled it off or not, and I'm too busy to check right now, but I recall reading a local report near the end of the Knight's season that said Joe was probably going to wind up just the third guy in the last 10 years or so to finish in the top 100 nationally for total yards without gaining a single one of them on offense. He's been a plus punt returner his entire career with UCF and they put him back returning kicks this season....he promptly led the conference in return average and housed two of them. Not too shabby.

Branden Ore(RB-West Liberty State) - You might remember Ore from his 1,137 yard, 16 touchdown season as a sophomore at Virginia Tech in 2006. Ore barely missed back to back thousand seasons with 992 yards in 2007, but the year was considered a disappointment for a back that seemed to be on the verge of superstardom. Frank Beamer decided it was best for Ore and the Hokies to part ways in March 2008, so he finished his career at West Liberty State with his cousin DB Darren Banks. Just like current Pittsburgh Steeler RB Gary Russell, Ore's road to NFL redemption begins in El Paso.
Ore was let go by Beamer because of character concerns. He seems to have gotten back on track, as this article points out. When he was at his best at Tech you knew he could be something special at the next level. He definitely has skills, so if he's got his head and heart in the right place now, all he needs is to be given a shot in the NFL.

Bloom: I was really looking forward to kind of a 'wrap--up of your thoughts after the Senior Bowl game similar to what you and Cecil did after the Shrine game. It is one thing to watch the game itself, but the game can lead to errant conclusions, simply because the ball is spread out amongst so many RBs, and in this instance, because the passing was generally so bad.

Purdue's RB looked great - but I'm discounting that because one breakaway run really doesn't really tell the whole story.

I read with interest all the reports on the practices. But perhaps you could still do a Senior Bowl game wrap-up up that gives your perspective of the week as a whole including the game itself. Thanks for the good work as always - just my 2 cents.

Bloom: I was really looking forward to kind of a 'wrap--up of your thoughts after the Senior Bowl game similar to what you and Cecil did after the Shrine game. It is one thing to watch the game itself, but the game can lead to errant conclusions, simply because the ball is spread out amongst so many RBs, and in this instance, because the passing was generally so bad.Purdue's RB looked great - but I'm discounting that because one breakaway run really doesn't really tell the whole story.I read with interest all the reports on the practices. But perhaps you could still do a Senior Bowl game wrap-up up that gives your perspective of the week as a whole including the game itself. Thanks for the good work as always - just my 2 cents.
+1

Bloom: I was really looking forward to kind of a 'wrap--up of your thoughts after the Senior Bowl game similar to what you and Cecil did after the Shrine game. It is one thing to watch the game itself, but the game can lead to errant conclusions, simply because the ball is spread out amongst so many RBs, and in this instance, because the passing was generally so bad.Purdue's RB looked great - but I'm discounting that because one breakaway run really doesn't really tell the whole story.I read with interest all the reports on the practices. But perhaps you could still do a Senior Bowl game wrap-up up that gives your perspective of the week as a whole including the game itself. Thanks for the good work as always - just my 2 cents.
+1
Thanks for the feedback, I'll put something together in the next 24 hours.

He's got the quicks thats for sure. What i find disheartening about him is how few receptions he's had. This year where he got 234 carries for Wyoming, he had only 14 receptions. And the most he ever got in a season was 24. Whether that is due to play calling or if its a limitation of his i'm not too sure, and look forward to hearing info about this from Cecil and Sigmund :thumbup: If he can put on 10 pounds i could see him getting a Leon Washington type role.

I found it interesting that Chery looked impressive. I had him on my fantasy roster this past year, but I could never really play him because his productivity was so inconsistent in that offense. But he did have five touchdowns in one game earlier this year, and was very productive when he was targeted and had the ball.

I will be curious to see how his stock goes in the next couple of months.

Bloom: I was really looking forward to kind of a 'wrap--up of your thoughts after the Senior Bowl game similar to what you and Cecil did after the Shrine game. It is one thing to watch the game itself, but the game can lead to errant conclusions, simply because the ball is spread out amongst so many RBs, and in this instance, because the passing was generally so bad.

Purdue's RB looked great - but I'm discounting that because one breakaway run really doesn't really tell the whole story.

I read with interest all the reports on the practices. But perhaps you could still do a Senior Bowl game wrap-up up that gives your perspective of the week as a whole including the game itself. Thanks for the good work as always - just my 2 cents.
+1
Senior Bowl Confirmations and SurprisesThese are a few of the guys who stood out in the game, feel free to ask about anyone else that interests you...

Thanks, Sig - exactly what I was looking for. This put the whole Senior Bowl week more into perspective. Great Job as usual.

I was just a little suprised to see Brian Robiskie was not mentioned under "Confirmations"; despite the fact that a number of balls thrown his way were not catchable, I though his crisp route running during the game was quite apparent, and with the separation he created, he had the potential to have had a bigger game if more throws to him had been on the money. Just my recollection.

Thanks again - the madd futher mucker

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Johnny Knox a guy to watch for ala Marques Colston when he came out of Hofstra? Your writeup on him seemed surprising...

Knox’s hands and adjustments to the wind-blown balls were uncanny, almost like the ball was controlling him - like he was at some hypnotic level of concentration. He had the best hands of the Texas WRs by far.

Is Johnny Knox a guy to watch for ala Marques Colston when he came out of Hofstra? Your writeup on him seemed surprising...

Knox’s hands and adjustments to the wind-blown balls were uncanny, almost like the ball was controlling him - like he was at some hypnotic level of concentration. He had the best hands of the Texas WRs by far.
I would favorably compare him to a Lance Moore type, smaller with good hands and great body control.

Hey, Bloom...

How legit are some of these guys from the FCS looking? Are they good enough to be taken around the 4th-5th round or will they still be seen as 6th-7th round selections at best? I'm a big fan of the FCS (Hoping QB Liam Coen out of UMass gets a shot somewhere) and am curious how you think scouts see them.

Day 1Mike Teel(Rutgers) - Teel has the velocity to fit the ball into tight spots, but he still needs to put more touch on his short passes. Teel had one pass intercepted by Brit Miller, who leapt to make a one handed snag on a ball targeted for a downfield receiver.Day 2Mike Teel(Rutgers) - Teel was one of the more patient QBs here, going through his reads deliberately. His arm strength is average at best, but he does put good touch on the short stuff. He seems to be a very limited upside QB.
Perhaps these were written by two different observers, but it would be hard to write more opposite assessments.

Based on your evaluations thusfar, it seems like Boltus has a tremendous upside? His weaknesses seem to be things that are easily corrected with proper coaching. Do you see him rising in the draft charts? I believe he and Painter are the only QB's there with Combine invites?

Sean Glennon (QB-Virginia Tech) - Glennon is the biggest QB here at 6’4 5/8”. He had well-defined arms and he looked to be in good shape at 223. His 10 1/8 hands are among the biggest at the game.
Glennon does have prototypical size, and as the practice reports state, he certainly has some ability.Glennon's problems, though, are his intangibles. He tried to, but never could become a team leader, which is as big a reason as any as to why he lost the starting QB job at Tech. It was pretty widely known (or at least rumored), amongst VT fans, that many of his team mates couldn't stand him. I was often reminded of Ryan Leaf when I heard about and/or saw some of Glennon's actions and attitudes. That's probably an overly harsh comparison from a biased opinion (VT fan), but even if you take that with a large grain of salt, it doesn't bode well for him.

Personally, I don't think he has a chance to be anything in the NFL. I'd be surprised if he makes a practice squad.

Users who are viewing this thread