What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (1 Viewer)

El Floppo said:
ScottNorwood said:
I'd be interested in knowing the origin of the zombies, instead of just watching the group wander aimlessly from place to place
totally.

seems like they're heading that way given what Mulletron said in the box-car.
I wonder if Mulletron even knows that every living person is already infected?

mlball77 said:
packersfan said:
So based on the Season 5 trailer we know the following is coming up:

Gareth joins the group and the plan appears to be to head to DC.

Rick may not be on board with that plan. There appears to be a confrontation of sorts between him and Abraham.

Others from Terminus may be with him. At one point Gareth says "You don't trust us" plural.

3 people from the group are taken, missing, something. Both Sasha and Rick reference the group not being together.

So what will be interesting to see is how the group brings in Gareth. What could possibly occur that would lead them to accept him into the group even on a short-term basis?
Interesting points you make. I also like Dhockster's theory that gum chewer is the one leaving the markers for the trail Rick's group is taking (don't like the killing Tyrese part, though). ;)

I really wonder what Gareth could use for leverage in order to team up with Rick's group? Does he know where Beth is being kept? Does Gareth (et al.) save Rick's group from a bad situation/person? It will be interesting to see how this element of the story unfolds.

How do you know three people are missing or have been taken from the group? I'm sure I'm spacing it, but all I can come up with is Beth.

Definitely seems like Rick and Abraham will have some differences along the line, as Andrew Lincoln said in an interview that they are both alphas. Could make for an interesting dynamic.
what about beth? they showed her in the trailer

ScottNorwood said:
I'd be interested in knowing the origin of the zombies, instead of just watching the group wander aimlessly from place to place
This is not the show you are looking for.

El Floppo said:
5: fans of the show who find the silly things silly- and are able to talk about them without diminishing their own ability in liking the show.

you guys (WD apologists) don't have to defend every single thing- there's a lot of bizarre and poorly written stuff in this show... learn to embrace and enjoy it. there is a middle ground here.
It's weird how defensive and personal the apologists seem to get over this show.

It's like someone is saying their baby is ugly or something.

To all of the people asking why the Termites waste all that ammo to herd seasoned walker killing road people into the RR car, have you taken a good look at Gareth and the other Termites? Gareth looks like a pasty accountant and the others combined couldn't twist off the top of a pickle jar.

If you're gonna watch a show about zombies, you might enjoy yourself just a little more if you learn how to suspend your disbelief just a little bit.

El Floppo said:
5: fans of the show who find the silly things silly- and are able to talk about them without diminishing their own ability in liking the show.

you guys (WD apologists) don't have to defend every single thing- there's a lot of bizarre and poorly written stuff in this show... learn to embrace and enjoy it. there is a middle ground here.
It's weird how defensive and personal the apologists seem to get over this show.

I think it's odd how someone is called an apologist for simply wondering why some (emphasis on "some" not all) people keep watching a show they sure do ##### about a lot. I just think it's a strange way to spend an hour of your life each week. But if that's how people want to spend their Sunday nights so be it. I'll do my best to avoid pointing out how peculiar I find that to be going forward. :)

mlball77 said:
packersfan said:
So based on the Season 5 trailer we know the following is coming up:

Gareth joins the group and the plan appears to be to head to DC.

Rick may not be on board with that plan. There appears to be a confrontation of sorts between him and Abraham.

Others from Terminus may be with him. At one point Gareth says "You don't trust us" plural.

3 people from the group are taken, missing, something. Both Sasha and Rick reference the group not being together.

So what will be interesting to see is how the group brings in Gareth. What could possibly occur that would lead them to accept him into the group even on a short-term basis?
Interesting points you make. I also like Dhockster's theory that gum chewer is the one leaving the markers for the trail Rick's group is taking (don't like the killing Tyrese part, though). ;)

I really wonder what Gareth could use for leverage in order to team up with Rick's group? Does he know where Beth is being kept? Does Gareth (et al.) save Rick's group from a bad situation/person? It will be interesting to see how this element of the story unfolds.

How do you know three people are missing or have been taken from the group? I'm sure I'm spacing it, but all I can come up with is Beth.

Definitely seems like Rick and Abraham will have some differences along the line, as Andrew Lincoln said in an interview that they are both alphas. Could make for an interesting dynamic.
what about beth? they showed her in the trailer

Rick will find her. There's is a love that knows no bounds or limits. He also knows how badly Judith wants her mom back. Plus she looks a helluva lot better in the cop hat than Carl does.

Good gravy. The bottle rocket is the real problem. When was the last time those things ever went in the direction you wanted them except for up?
I was just happy they acknowledged a shot from a rifle wouldn't make the thing explode. Beyond that... I can let Carol have her MacGyver moment. :cutler:
Agreed. I would have rather had her point it and use the hole in a wiffle ball bat to bring back childhood memories, but alas, it was going to happen regardless.
wat
No wonder why you have a problem with the bottle rocket. Didn't you ever have bottle rocket fights or hang out with friends and set off fireworks? We played lots of baseball growing up, so shooting bottle rockets off with wiffle ball bats was something we did. Hence the nostalgia. FYI, there is a small hole at the top of the bat that fits the stick well. It was fairly accurate.
You must have had better bottle rockets out where you live. For us, they went all over the place. The prison rocket was a bit more that a bottle rocket though.
:goodposting: Bottle rockets always had a mind of thier own.. due to the weight.. But the larger rockets, at least from the one's I've shot off, tend to stay online..

I do agree with what one person posted above that the only part of it I thought was a stretch was having her shoot it in an arc.. to make it more "realistic" it should have been aimied more on a straight line so as to not expect the arc to bring it back down.

In the end through.. . Who really cares .. we got to see a very large explosion and Burning walking dead.. :thumbup:
We must have had the straight ones growing up. The bats did seem to make them go straighter than holding them in your hand. Not sure if the science actually works like barrel, but it was fun.

Rick is getting a little more angry psycho this year. Killing people and making sure they turn is right out of the Govenor's book.

El Floppo said:

Nothing is personal, this is a freaking message board, it just gets old in the thread to have so many complaints cluttering it up. Especially when half of them are complaints that aren't even valid (like the propane tank ones and worrying about them deciding to make sure they escape and not risk fighting zombies for more guns). I don't care if you like the show or not, I'd (me personally) rather discuss what happened and potential for what happens next. As bigbottom said above, it was a great episode with a lot that happened and IMHO, it gets annoying to keep reading complaints, especially ones that aren't really correct. That said, we can reply to your complaints and point out all the holes just like you can complain about whatever you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:

It's weird how defensive and personal the apologists seem to get over this show.It's like someone is saying their baby is ugly or something.
You guys are nuts.

El Floppo said:

Nothing is personal, this is a freaking message board, it just gets old in the thread to have so many complaints cluttering it up. Especially when half of them are complaints that aren't even valid (like the propane tank ones and worrying about them deciding to make sure they escape and not risk fighting zombies for more guns). I don't care if you like the show or not, I'd (me personally) rather discuss what happened and potential for what happens next. As bigbottom said above, it was a great episode with a lot that happened and IMHO, it gets annoying to keep reading complaints, especially ones that aren't really correct. That said, we can reply to your complaints and point out all the holes just like you can complain about whatever you want.
Nothing valid about your defense of leaving those weapons on the ground.

And I didn't bring up the propane tank, bottle rocket shot...not really my argument.

No one has told me why Tyrese didn't blast that fool with the baby...or why they're so concerned about counting every round expended but waste countless rounds trying to rat maze them to the freight cars. It was ridiculous drama for the sake of drama...no one would've done that...they'd have disarmed them and simply walked them into the freight car.

And simple discussion "fixed" that blood trough scene for the better by simply swapping Bob for Glenn. No one in their right mind thought Glenn was ever in ANY danger.

This show is freekin awesome. I watch it cause I like it. SHows I dont like, I dont watch.

We're talking about implausible scenarios when the show is based on one of the most implausible scenarious imaginable. Yeah baby!!!!! :o

Just an fyi, a few years into a zombie apocalypse, I would tend to thing logic and reason would have waived bye bye to people a long time ago

Does anyone else despise Carol?
Used to. Still has the kind of face you want to biotch slap, but she's definitely turned the corner for me in her attitude. Its like they've made her into a replacement of Shane. No nonsense, survival is everything. With the exception that she is more team oriented and Shane was more "what's in it for me".
I just don't buy her as a baddass killing machine. It's laughable. Should've killed her and kept Andrea alive.
Carol as a badass killing machine works for me. It's because they have developed her character so well. She's not badass because that's in her "nature". So just looking at her maybe it doesn't work. But when you consider all the things she's been through... her abusive husband... losing her daughter... all the things she's had to deal with during this whole survival situation... it really fits the way she's transformed. She's not a huge physical specimen who just has that natural killer instinct and raw badassness... she's someone who has been changed by the coldness and harshness of the apocalypse. She's still got emotion, but in a lot of ways she's dead and numb. THAT is why she was the one to go to Terminus, and big boy stayed with the baby.

El Floppo said:

And I didn't bring up the propane tank, bottle rocket shot...not really my argument.

No one has told me why Tyrese didn't blast that fool with the baby...or why they're so concerned about counting every round expended but waste countless rounds trying to rat maze them to the freight cars. It was ridiculous drama for the sake of drama...no one would've done that...they'd have disarmed them and simply walked them into the freight car.

And simple discussion "fixed" that blood trough scene for the better by simply swapping Bob for Glenn. No one in their right mind thought Glenn was ever in ANY danger.
Perhaps their memory of their mom and others being repeatedly raped and brutalized has led them to create the procedures where they stand no chance of having their pencilnecks being overpowered by the random road warriors who come to visit. Just having entry conversations with Rick and his group led to the death of Gareth's brother, so I can't picture them trying to act all tough and deal with up close human wrangling.

This show is freekin awesome. I watch it cause I like it. SHows I dont like, I dont watch.

We're talking about implausible scenarios when the show is based on one of the most implausible scenarious imaginable. Yeah baby!!!!! :o

Just an fyi, a few years into a zombie apocalypse, I would tend to thing logic and reason would have waived bye bye to people a long time ago
I disagree.

IMO, this (and any) show works at it's best because despite the accepted conceit of the zombie-apocolypse, the characters (and rules of physics) behave in ways that make sense in this new horrible world. When people do stupid things that make no sense- regardless of apologists being able to frame a ridiculous rationale for the behavior- the show fails. The nonsensical things happens a lot and are worthy of continued derision, even in the context of a great episode.

that said- there are the trolls who only point out the negative things and so appear to be watching, or at least posting, only to be a troll. I'll never get the appeal of living in that type of negativity, but I don't have to.

Used to. Still has the kind of face you want to biotch slap, but she's definitely turned the corner for me in her attitude. Its like they've made her into a replacement of Shane. No nonsense, survival is everything. With the exception that she is more team oriented and Shane was more "what's in it for me".
I just don't buy her as a baddass killing machine. It's laughable. Should've killed her and kept Andrea alive.
Carol as a badass killing machine works for me. It's because they have developed her character so well. She's not badass because that's in her "nature". So just looking at her maybe it doesn't work. But when you consider all the things she's been through... her abusive husband... losing her daughter... all the things she's had to deal with during this whole survival situation... it really fits the way she's transformed. She's not a huge physical specimen who just has that natural killer instinct and raw badassness... she's someone who has been changed by the coldness and harshness of the apocalypse. She's still got emotion, but in a lot of ways she's dead and numb. THAT is why she was the one to go to Terminus, and big boy stayed with the baby.
I liked how with the first zombie on the tracks that she walks up to and nonchalantly kills with a knife to the head- the weight of the zombie knocked her over. could have been just as easy for the writers to have her michonne it without consequence, but they made the point of having her get knocked over and I appreciate that element of realism.

I liked how with the first zombie on the tracks that she walks up to and nonchalantly kills with a knife to the head- the weight of the zombie knocked her over. could have been just as easy for the writers to have her michonne it without consequence, but they made the point of having her get knocked over and I appreciate that element of realism.
I looked at it completely differently as I was thinking about the nature of that kill quite a bit. She's someone who has killed countless zombies. She's impersonal and I saw it as her going after the zombie in a matter of fact way. It was a very slow walker. Thought she could have just knifed it without falling over.

If she was upset with him not going at it and was a bit pissed, it would explain why she rushed the job and ended up falling over.

That's why I thought it over so much. Was wondering her frame of mind on the kill. Only saw it once though.

I looked at it completely differently as I was thinking about the nature of that kill quite a bit. She's someone who has killed countless zombies. She's impersonal and I saw it as her going after the zombie in a matter of fact way. It was a very slow walker. Thought she could have just knifed it without falling over.

If she was upset with him not going at it and was a bit pissed, it would explain why she rushed the job and ended up falling over.

That's why I thought it over so much. Was wondering her frame of mind on the kill. Only saw it once though.
What you wrote in the bolded means we agree, not disagree.

When people do stupid things that make no sense- regardless of apologists being able to frame a ridiculous rationale for the behavior- the show fails.
Lots of stupid people doing stupid stuff in this world. Just look around.
ok- not stupid.. .irrational, nonsensical, and counter to what the person's previous behavior or current situation would dictate. I don't see a lot of that in the world- even if I see lots of stupidity.

write the character as an idiot, and I'm ok with them acting like an idiot (early Pinkman in Breaking Bad).

El Floppo said:

Man, whatever I say, you will disagree with regardless, but here I go again.

1. It was very valid. First of all, you said they left weapons at their feet. That is wrong. They were a good 20-30 yards away. Second, you stated that they were wasting countless rounds, which tells me that there were a lot of zombies coming that way. Third, you act like this is a video game where you just need to walk near weapons and have them magically picked up. They were all being eaten, so there were already zombies all over them. My point is that they made the choice to go for the escape and not risk picking up weapons that may not have been easy with all of the zombies around. Plus, you said they were wasting a lot of rounds, so maybe, there wasn't much ammo left anyway. Also, as I stated in my response (which you never countered) before, Rick was able to shoot Garreth due to surprise on the way to saving his comrades. If they stopped, fought walkers with pipes/knives, Garreth and his men up top could have easily been ready and thus a firefight or people in the group dead or no escape would have been much more likely than what occurred (surprising Garreth, saving the rest of the group and a narrow escape). So, in summary, I disagree that picking up those weapons, for which they may not have had more ammo, was not the right move and they made the right move to escape and get back to their existing cache of weapons for which they had more ammo.

2. Pretty obvious that Tyrese is a very emotional guy. He was caring for two girls that both died and he wasn't ready to get back to being like Carol and being an emotionless killer. That reason may not be good enough for you, but that sure seemed to be what they implied and whether you like it or not, that is his character. He was hoping he wouldn't have to kill that guy and he screwed up.

3. I think you are assuming that Garreth running a tight ship means that they can't fire weapons. He killed his friend because he wasn't doinng a good job bringing Rick in, he's been altered a bit by the trauma they went through and I think the ammo counting has more to do with his making sure he has full 100% control of his folks than saving ammo. It is also weird that you think they wouldn't use the ammo when they are being attacked by a herd of zombies, which clearly they had never encountered. Did you see the people running scared at the fence when Carol was shooting the tank? Seemed to me that they weren't ready for the zombies, just other humans.

4. Who cares about switching Bob. Of course we knew Glenn lived, I saw it in the previews. We all new the guy would stop swinging, so why does it matter that they didn't make us worried about Bob? Maybe Bob was in the previews as well, I don't recall. I knew it would stop at Glenn. It is kind of like the bottle rocket. We knew she was going to blow up the tank, it was happening no matter what. Maybe I would have liked her to point it giving it more realism, but it was going to happen, no need to worry about it. I probably would have been more worried about Bob as well, but it doesn't bother me.

There are my thoughts, have at them.

When people do stupid things that make no sense- regardless of apologists being able to frame a ridiculous rationale for the behavior- the show fails.
Lots of stupid people doing stupid stuff in this world. Just look around.
ok- not stupid.. .irrational, nonsensical, and counter to what the person's previous behavior or current situation would dictate. I don't see a lot of that in the world- even if I see lots of stupidity.

write the character as an idiot, and I'm ok with them acting like an idiot (early Pinkman in Breaking Bad).
I sort of understand your point, but look at the people we have, farmers, criminals, local sheriffs who don't assess scenes and thus get shot twice in episode 1, mullet heads who are scientists, teenagers, etc. I agree with bb that people tend to assume people are smarter than they really are and that they would logically assess every situation. I think it has been mentioned before that if this group logically and rationally thought through every situation and reacted the way we wanted them to, it would be a boring show and we'd still be at the farm working on shoring up every defense and season 2 of how to grow corn with zombie fertilizer.

I think it's far more interesting to see characters mess up than always do the right thing. Creates more drama and opens up the potential for much stronger character development. One of the things I like about Rick, for example, is he hasn't always done the right thing. His decisions haven't always worked out. The great part about that in my opinion is the show has shown him pay a price for his mistakes and his character has grown as a result. I'd rather watch these characters stumble and fall and figure things out as they go. That strikes me as extremely realistic in this environment.

That said, when a character does something inexplicably stupid time after time after time after time (i.e. Season 3 Andrea) that's when the show will suffer and the storytelling will lag as a result.

Just my two cents.

I think it's far more interesting to see characters mess up than always do the right thing. Creates more drama and opens up the potential for much stronger character development. One of the things I like about Rick, for example, is he hasn't always done the right thing. His decisions haven't always worked out. The great part about that in my opinion is the show has shown him pay a price for his mistakes and his character has grown as a result. I'd rather watch these characters stumble and fall and figure things out as they go. That strikes me as extremely realistic in this environment.

That said, when a character does something inexplicably stupid time after time after time after time (i.e. Season 3 Andrea) that's when the show will suffer and the storytelling will lag as a result.

Just my two cents.
True, but unfortunately Andrea may have been a writing issue. I think in the comics she plays a bigger part according to previous comments on here, so maybe they wanted her to stay around longer.

Personally, I think they could have saved her character and some stupid stuff with the Governor (I only liked his loner episodes/meeting the family, didn't like takeover of the group and assault part deux) if they let her kill him in that factory. They set it up so damn well, only to have his miraculous escape and capture of her before Rick spotted her.

See tdoss, we do criticize the show. It isn't all roses and puppies. I just don't care to nitpick and respond to places where I don't think there were issues/plot holes.

ScottNorwood said:
I also think Rick should get a boat. An island would be the safest place you could be.
I've been saying that a docked cruise ship would make the perfect place to live on now.

Its got kitchens, bathroom, beds, food storage, and casinos!!! Water on all sides high enough decks to act as shooting platforms, too tall to climb up, pull up the gangplank and all that is connecting you to Zombieville is a few ropes that the dead couldnt hold on to.

you never need to leave the dock or worry about gas.

Just my two cents.
True, but unfortunately Andrea may have been a writing issue.
Absolutely. I wondered previously if her storyline which so many fans strongly disliked had anything to do with Mazzara getting booted. There were rumors of re-writes of his Season 3 finale and there was a very tacked-on ending with Andrea trying to explain why she had spent the entire season being a total dips**t before she died.

ScottNorwood said:
I also think Rick should get a boat. An island would be the safest place you could be.
I've been saying that a docked cruise ship would make the perfect place to live on now.

Its got kitchens, bathroom, beds, food storage, and casinos!!! Water on all sides high enough decks to act as shooting platforms, too tall to climb up, pull up the gangplank and all that is connecting you to Zombieville is a few ropes that the dead couldnt hold on to.

you never need to leave the dock or worry about gas.
You'd only have to worry about food. Eventually, people are going to need a renewable food source. That is one of the things I liked about the prison setup - although you'd need more acreage. Also, there'd be the question of gathering food from stores and such. You've got to figure that the dock will be pretty well stocked with walkers. That would leave you with rowboats/lifeboats to gather food. They don't move all that quickly and you'd likely be followed by walkers along the coast. It would therefore require you to go out to seat a bit in order to get out of view of the walkers (or nighttime travel in absolute dark). Would be an interesting setup.

Just my two cents.
totally agree. like with Pinkman in Breaking Bad, I'm all for characters doing things that drive the plot forward because it's not always the right thing. if they're doing things that make no real sense based on their personality or situation just to drive the plot... no thanks.

I agree with someone that said that maybe Morgan is showing up at terminus sometime in the future.

No one in Rick's group appeared to leave marks on the trees. Therefore it would have to be someone else following Rick's group that left the marks. It would make sense that a Terminus person followed Rick's group and left marks for other Termites to follow. Maybe, as someone else speculated the gum chewer was not killed by Tyresse and he ends up following Rick's Group. He leaves the marks and Morgan (and perhaps others) ends up following them to catch up to Rick and his group.

The gum chewer catches up to Rick's group and kills Tyresse proving his point that Tyresse is too good to live in the current world.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Wait, I didn't think there was anything to interpret there...he's pretty much dead is he not?

Just my two cents.
True, but unfortunately Andrea may have been a writing issue. I think in the comics she plays a bigger part according to previous comments on here, so maybe they wanted her to stay around longer.

Personally, I think they could have saved her character and some stupid stuff with the Governor (I only liked his loner episodes/meeting the family, didn't like takeover of the group and assault part deux) if they let her kill him in that factory. They set it up so damn well, only to have his miraculous escape and capture of her before Rick spotted her.

See tdoss, we do criticize the show. It isn't all roses and puppies. I just don't care to nitpick and respond to places where I don't think there were issues/plot holes.
I thought the Governor was worse than Andrea. That said- I agree about seeing more of an actual person during those loner episodes- otherwise he's just an annoying, cartoonish plot-driving device.

I agree with someone that said that maybe Morgan is showing up at terminus sometime in the future.

No one in Rick's group appeared to leave marks on the trees. Therefore it would have to be someone else following Rick's group that left the marks. It would make sense that a Terminus person followed Rick's group and left marks for other Termites to follow. Maybe, as someone else speculated the gum chewer was not killed by Tyresse and he ends up following Rick's Group. He leaves the marks and Morgan (and perhaps others) ends up following them to catch up to Rick and his group.

The gum chewer catches up to Rick's group and kills Tyresse proving his point that Tyresse is too good to live in the current world.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Wait, I didn't think there was anything to interpret there...he's pretty much dead is he not?
I don't remember them showing the dead body- just Tyrese beating him, and telling the group outside that he was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread