What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Disagree with both of those points.

Not about realism, per se, but consistency to a world the creators developed. Inconsistency and sloppiness takes away from that. Let alone the goofy cartoon villains they use to drive drama instead of focusing on bigger picture ideas of how society and individuals move forward.

And everybody having it.. doesn't really change anything, or seen illogical... If it's a consistent part of this world. When you die, you turn. So people have to take steps for that eventuality.

I mean if the goal is altruistic then surviving this thing is killing all the walkers and repopulating. The fact that the virus is sticky then it takes motivation to be a white hat beyond what is logical as the species is already extinct. This plot element was really only used in the early seasons, and they got married to it when the team went to the CDC so there's that. It wasn't a huge matter in the late seasons.
Wut?

Why play good guy if everyone is going to be a zombie when they die? The world is at that point over.

Maybe it's a nitpick. It's also frustrating if someone chokes on some spam and turns.

Not about realism, per se, but consistency to a world the creators developed. Inconsistency and sloppiness takes away from that. Let alone the goofy cartoon villains they use to drive drama instead of focusing on bigger picture ideas of how society and individuals move forward.

And everybody having it.. doesn't really change anything, or seen illogical... If it's a consistent part of this world. When you die, you turn. So people have to take steps for that eventuality.

I mean if the goal is altruistic then surviving this thing is killing all the walkers and repopulating. The fact that the virus is sticky then it takes motivation to be a white hat beyond what is logical as the species is already extinct. This plot element was really only used in the early seasons, and they got married to it when the team went to the CDC so there's that. It wasn't a huge matter in the late seasons.
Wut?

Why play good guy if everyone is going to be a zombie when they die? The world is at that point over.
This makes less than zero sense.
It seems like the fact that people turn when they die is nothing more than a mild inconvenience. It would appear that almost the entirety of that threat would be curbed with an incredibly small amount of provisions.

Wut?

It seems like the fact that people turn when they die is nothing more than a mild inconvenience. It would appear that almost the entirety of that threat would be curbed with an incredibly small amount of provisions.

I mean let's think this thru. If your goal was to white hat this thing, the main objective would be breeding as many women as possible. You probably need 3 live births to survive the dead fetus eating the woman from the inside as part of a mis-carriage, plus death in childbirth. This, also to account for just lower lifespan from poor hygiene, nutrition, etc. Would women go for this knowing at any time they could be eaten alive from the inside? They only briefly touched on this risk in the early seasons, then let it go.

You also have inbreeding problems that will develop so you need a diverse and well selected gene pool, and a system in place to feed, raise, and keep healthy your breeding stock as the demographic shifts much younger.

Existing as a nomadic lifestyle worked fine for the BC to 1500s in the US for everyone, but not now. Fixing to a single location marries you to weather patterns, and crop failure. Livestock seems gone.

Going black hat seems the only reasonable way forward.

Wut?

I mean let's think this thru. If your goal was to white hat this thing, the main objective would be breeding as many women as possible. You probably need 3 live births to survive the dead fetus eating the woman from the inside as part of a mis-carriage, plus death in childbirth. This, also to account for just lower lifespan from poor hygiene, nutrition, etc. Would women go for this knowing at any time they could be eaten alive from the inside? They only briefly touched on this risk in the early seasons, then let it go.

You also have inbreeding problems that will develop so you need a diverse and well selected gene pool, and a system in place to feed, raise, and keep healthy your breeding stock as the demographic shifts much younger.

Existing as a nomadic lifestyle worked fine for the BC to 1500s in the US for everyone, but not now. Fixing to a single location marries you to weather patterns, and crop failure. Livestock seems gone.

I kind of get the premise of how despair-filled it would be based on the idea everyone turns. Even if you eradicate all existing walkers and rebuild society there will always be the threat of a new Walker outbreak with every death. You’d have to develop a very draconian system for dealing with death, disease, injury, etc. and you’d always still have risk associated with accidental deaths, murders or things like stroke or heart attack. Given that framework, seems a large percentage of society would just say f’ it.

Wut?

I kind of get the premise of how despair-filled it would be based on the idea everyone turns. Even if you eradicate all existing walkers and rebuild society there will always be the threat of a new Walker outbreak with every death. You’d have to develop a very draconian system for dealing with death, disease, injury, etc. and you’d always still have risk associated with accidental deaths, murders or things like stroke or heart attack. Given that framework, seems a large percentage of society would just say f’ it.
Walker outbreaks would be almost impossible to happen now that people are already living it and would actually be prepared

Yeah, I don't think it's hard to believe that a rebuilt society could have strict procedures around people dying in hospitals and nursing homes and handle the occasional turn upon unexpected death. You still might run across an occasional random zombie following accidental deaths or where a hermit dies in his house alone and starts wandering the countryside, but a massive outbreak seems like an impossibility.

I mean there are bears running wild around the United States, and I'd be a dead man if I ran across an angry one, but society manages to hang on.

Wut?

Walker outbreaks would be almost impossible to happen now that people are already living it and would actually be prepared
Can’t say I agree with “almost impossible,” even the show itself addressed this on multiple occasions. For one example, all it took was one person dropping dead in the night from swine flu to wipe out half the prison in season 4.

Bad writing and dumb characters aside, you’re talking about a society that would have to be eternally vigilant as well as continually armed to the teeth. After seeing how society handled the most recent real life pandemic, put me down on the side that wouldn’t expect humans to last very long or rebuild out of a zombie apocalypse.

Wut?

Can’t say I agree with “almost impossible,” even the show itself addressed this on multiple occasions. For one example, all it took was one person dropping dead in the night from swine flu to wipe out half the prison in season 4.

Bad writing and dumb characters aside, you’re talking about a society that would have to be eternally vigilant as well as continually armed to the teeth. After seeing how society handled the most recent real life pandemic, put me down on the side that wouldn’t expect humans to last very long or rebuild out of a zombie apocalypse.
Is it that hard to simply have people sleep with a lock on their door? I mean how vigilant do you really need to be? C'mon now.
It would be the equivalent of people taking their medication.
Now, if we are talking about real society, yeah we would be screwed, maybe forever, in terms of organized society, but it wouldn't end the human population. No way.
On a side note, I have always thought that if Covid was more deadly, say it killed 5% of people who got it, we would NOT have had the huge political divide on handling things. A lot more people would have died, but we also would have had almost everyone working together and not politicizing masks, quarantines, and shut downs.
Now if it was a zombie apocalypse? Theoretically we should be able to handle that with NO problem given the slow rate of death after a bite and also a lag between death and reanimation. I don't think any major outbreaks would even have happened at the start.
However, we also don't know how hysterical society would get in general. If everyone working at the water/electric/gas companies all gave up we would be screwed, but the problem itself would not in actuality be tough to contain.

Wut?

Is it that hard to simply have people sleep with a lock on their door? I mean how vigilant do you really need to be? C'mon now.
It would be the equivalent of people taking their medication.
Now, if we are talking about real society, yeah we would be screwed, maybe forever, in terms of organized society, but it wouldn't end the human population. No way.
On a side note, I have always thought that if Covid was more deadly, say it killed 5% of people who got it, we would NOT have had the huge political divide on handling things. A lot more people would have died, but we also would have had almost everyone working together and not politicizing masks, quarantines, and shut downs.
Now if it was a zombie apocalypse? Theoretically we should be able to handle that with NO problem given the slow rate of death after a bite and also a lag between death and reanimation. I don't think any major outbreaks would even have happened at the start.
However, we also don't know how hysterical society would get in general. If everyone working at the water/electric/gas companies all gave up we would be screwed, but the problem itself would not in actuality be tough to contain.

How are you gonna talk women into getting pregnant? That's the extinction event. Even if society reverts back to maybe something like the 16th century with a few neat tools from the 21st they won't be able to approach anything like the fertility rate of the 16th under the rules they laid out.

Would women go for this knowing at any time they could be eaten alive from the inside?
It's extremely rare for a fetus to have teeth, babies typically start cutting teeth around 6 months old. Cesareans have been performed successfully long before modern medicine, before people understood the need for sterilizing instruments and keeping a wound clean.

Well, I can officially say I finished it. The last season wasn’t as bad as some of the stuff before but the montage at the end really makes you realize how much better it was. As much as we disliked Lori, the actors were just better. Oh well, just glad I finished it even if I did do a bunch of fast forwarding like I see the couple seasons before.

We started and stopped this series several times over the years, but finally said We ARE DOING IT!! We are in season 9 and I don't know if we are still using spoilers tags, but I figure not since this show has been over for so long. I will be vague, but we are right at the point of the fast forward in time and Judith is older. I don't know if I care for it so far. I get we are introducing new characters, but it has this Office feel where it should have wrapped up when Michael left the show, but they kept going with the different guest managers. I never read the graphic novels, so I am sure there are plenty of surprises coming up over the next 2 1/2 seasons, but I am hoping it doesn't jump the shark too much. Our goal is to have it done by the end of October, but not sure we will reach that as my wife isn't a binge watcher. I am happy when I can get two episodes out of her in a sitting of any show.

We started and stopped this series several times over the years, but finally said We ARE DOING IT!! We are in season 9 and I don't know if we are still using spoilers tags, but I figure not since this show has been over for so long. I will be vague, but we are right at the point of the fast forward in time and Judith is older. I don't know if I care for it so far. I get we are introducing new characters, but it has this Office feel where it should have wrapped up when Michael left the show, but they kept going with the different guest managers. I never read the graphic novels, so I am sure there are plenty of surprises coming up over the next 2 1/2 seasons, but I am hoping it doesn't jump the shark too much. Our goal is to have it done by the end of October, but not sure we will reach that as my wife isn't a binge watcher. I am happy when I can get two episodes out of her in a sitting of any show.
Enjoy! I powered through it several months ago after a couple year hiatus. Glad that's behind me. Enjoyed most of it.

And will put this in spoilers (for you) bc I can't remember exactly where it was in the timeline, but....

The episode where Connie (deaf girl) was in the house with the cannibals living in the walls. HOLY ****. I had to fast forward it. It creeped me the hell out. :lol: The visuals combined with the complete silence in the scenes was INTENSE! I don't get creeped out easily at all, but that one got me.

Didn't care for the Maggie and Negan visit New York spinoff as it was the same old, same old.

Episode one of Daryl visits France was better than any of New York. Hoping it continues. :mellow:

Didn't care for the Maggie and Negan visit New York spinoff as it was the same old, same old.

Episode one of Daryl visits France was better than any of New York. Hoping it continues. :mellow:
wait... this is real? :lol:
Hulu Live doesn’t have AMC so I feel like these aren’t real and are fan videos. For someone who used to watch this show with my oldest son when it was not goofy, the premise of these shows is almost funny.

So I watched all the Daryl Dixon spinoff 6 episodes.
I don't care about spoilers so if you haven't watched (haha, likely none of you have), don't read on.

Anyway, I don't understand the roided out walkers. Like, what was the point? The lady running it didn't ever make any sense. I have no idea what she was ever trying to do.

Also, a boat ride across the ocean is so implausible. Sooooooo implausible.

The one guy tracking down Daryl the whole show just lets him go. Wow.

Apparently they will be a season 2 of Daryl Dixon with Carol.
I like the characters so will stick around with it

The walking dead couldve have been amazing but the writing ruined it

Fear the walking dead finally ended over the weekend.
I watched Fear for about one season, then stopped when they basically fast forwarded to the timeline of TWD. I was hoping to get a few seasons that covered maybe the first few weeks of the outbreak, which is kinda how it was advertised. Nope.
Haven't watched World Beyond either. Looked terrible. Who knows, maybe I'm missing out.

The bastards killed Glenn. I was out the minute that happened. And I'm not talking about Neegan, I'm talking about the writers. What a waste of a great character.

We finished today!!! Almost two months later than we planned, but wow was 3/4 of this final season a slog. All the political BS was so hard to sit through. The last couple episodes were good and showed what they "could" have done with this show.

It was a good show that had the potential to be great, but sometimes couldn't get out of its own way.

We plan to watch the Daryl spin-off though.

The bastards killed Glenn. I was out the minute that happened. And I'm not talking about Neegan, I'm talking about the writers. What a waste of a great character.
Absolutely. They easily could have just killed someone else, or just left it at Abraham
Glenn had to die for Maggie's story arc and Maggie vs Negan. It follows the comics. Unless you expected them to completely go off script because some people liked the actor.

Absolutely. They easily could have just killed someone else, or just left it at Abraham
Glenn had to die for Maggie's story arc and Maggie vs Negan. It follows the comics. Unless you expected them to completely go off script because some people liked the actor.
First of all, it was well documented in this thread that they went off script in key ways in the first several seasons.

Secondly, while I do like the actor, the character itself is what I'm talking about. He was a great character that they could have done so much more with. That has nothing to do with the comics, I have no idea whether comics Glenn is awesome or not.

Of course id expect that if it's better for the show

and Rick Grimes is back

time to start talking about how the grass gets mowed again
Wait... What?
They are knee deep into the spinoffs.
Negan and Maggy went to NYC. Then Darryl went to Europe. Now it's Rick's and Michonne's turn.
Are they going to Aruba?
No. Looks like it will be the most probably explanation for Rick's disappearance. Was captured and has been working for the CRM.
Did they explain how people travelled to Europe?
Captured by bad people and put on a ship full of walkers being taken to the bad dude (woman) trying to take over France. Ship explodes, he escapes and washes a shore in a life raft. The whole series was him doing things (and taking down the bad guys) in exchange of getting to people who control the ships to take him home. But he kind of has a new girlfriend now and kid he's been protecting. Will he stay or will he go?!?!?!??!?

and Rick Grimes is back

time to start talking about how the grass gets mowed again
Wait... What?
They are knee deep into the spinoffs.
Negan and Maggy went to NYC. Then Darryl went to Europe. Now it's Rick's and Michonne's turn.
Daryl story was very good, looking forward to season two. Negan and Maggy continuing their love/hate relationship gets old.
Recorded Rick and Michonne reunite so will watch tonight to see where it fits in the spinoff realm :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread