What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Twitter Thread (1 Viewer)

Regarding the current conflict in Israel/Gaza: there is a very strong chance what we've been able to see would have been curated far differently if the old regime were still in charge at Twitter, and I don't think it would have been kind to the Israelis. In short, the pushback they've received over their retaliation would be far greater than it is right now because few of us would have been able to believe the level of brutality which took place on October 7th.

This is outrageous speculation, which we can note easily with the mere fact that this isn't happening on Facebook, which was lumped in with Twitter as one and the same in terms of perceived bias and, notably, was not purchased by Elon Musk.

Similar to IK's outrageous claim in the other thread about how the world likely would never have known about the Gaza hospital misreporting if it weren't for Elon Musk, even as the breaking coverage of new findings were as readily available on Zuckerberg's ultra left communist Facebook as they were on Musk's bastion of free speech Twitter.

The reality is that the straw man narrative on this has been beaten into people's heads by their curated "news" sources for so long that normally rational people have gone completely off the deep end. Pre-Musk twitter would not have been banning people just for posting pro Israel tweets amongst this conflict, and it's a ridiculous assertion, imo.
Pre-Musk Twitter was clearly involved in viewpoint based discrimination in its moderation policies. Maybe that wasn’t pervasive enough to affect most people’s experience on the platform - I don’t pretend to be an expert on such things. Certainly most users probably enjoyed that policy as they on balance agreed with the viewpoints being favored. But as much as I don’t like a lot of what Musk does or says I’m not exactly pining for the good old days on Twitter either, particularly since my own personal user experience hasn’t been negatively impacted by the transition.

Regarding the current conflict in Israel/Gaza: there is a very strong chance what we've been able to see would have been curated far differently if the old regime were still in charge at Twitter, and I don't think it would have been kind to the Israelis. In short, the pushback they've received over their retaliation would be far greater than it is right now because few of us would have been able to believe the level of brutality which took place on October 7th.

This is outrageous speculation, which we can note easily with the mere fact that this isn't happening on Facebook, which was lumped in with Twitter as one and the same in terms of perceived bias and, notably, was not purchased by Elon Musk.

Similar to IK's outrageous claim in the other thread about how the world likely would never have known about the Gaza hospital misreporting if it weren't for Elon Musk, even as the breaking coverage of new findings were as readily available on Zuckerberg's ultra left communist Facebook as they were on Musk's bastion of free speech Twitter.

The reality is that the straw man narrative on this has been beaten into people's heads by their curated "news" sources for so long that normally rational people have gone completely off the deep end. Pre-Musk twitter would not have been banning people just for posting pro Israel tweets amongst this conflict, and it's a ridiculous assertion, imo.
2 things:

1. I disagree with you because Twitter track record on major events pre-Musk is littered with heavy-handed curation of the news.
2. Henceforth, your posts will forever be read in Jackie Childs' voice in my head. 'OUTRAGEOUS'

People have a difficult time adjusting for their own biases which can lead them to false conclusions. I remember my sister (a conservative) telling me how much better Twitter was now that Musk took over. This was before Musk took over.

Suggesting that people's conclusions about the utility of Twitter are motivated by either Musk hatred or Musk fandom probably wasn't the most productive approach to discussing the issue. I'm not much of a Twitter user, but it's obvious people use Twitter in different ways and it seems completely reasonable that their experience could be improved or worsened depending on how they interface with the platform.

That's been my personal experience in real life, and I was explicitly clear to say that's been my experience.

In my experience, that's usually the primary factor in whether someone finds Twitter useful or not.

I'm sure a great many people have had different experiences there.

it's obvious people use Twitter in different ways and it seems completely reasonable that their experience could be improved or worsened depending on how they interface with the platform.

And fully agree that's obvious and it's entirely reaonable there are always ways to improve and worsen the experience.

I hate that everything has become political - why can’t I love or hate Musk without being political? It’s absurd.
Yup. Regardless of where he stands politically (I'm not even sure sometimes), I have a negative opinion of him.

I’m kind of the opposite (or was) - he seemed to want to work on cool projects and was/is smart. Most people don’t know when to stay in their lane and he seems to be the same - but even then, I don’t care. It’s like people who won’t watch entertainers they don’t agree with - I don’t get it, but maybe it’s just me.

I love good beer - if you make good beer I don’t care what religion you are, what your politics are, what you do in your bedroom or anything else - I care that you make good beer.

Suggesting that people's conclusions about the utility of Twitter are motivated by either Musk hatred or Musk fandom probably wasn't the most productive approach to discussing the issue. I'm not much of a Twitter user, but it's obvious people use Twitter in different ways and it seems completely reasonable that their experience could be improved or worsened depending on how they interface with the platform.

That's been my personal experience in real life, and I was explicitly clear to say that's been my experience.

In my experience, that's usually the primary factor in whether someone finds Twitter useful or not.

Right. And sharing your personal experience that people questioning Twitter’s utility post-takeover are motivated by Musk hate in response to someone who has questioned Twitter’s utility post-takeover was not a productive way to discuss the issue. I didn’t say the characterization of your personal experience was false. I said it wasn’t a productive way to discuss the issue. Just like if I responded to your post that you find the user experience improved by saying that in my experience most people who say their user experience is improved are motivated to say that because they are Musk fanboys. It’s just not a productive way to have the discussion about what changes people are seeing. There have been comments to that effect in this thread which, as I stated, are also not productive. In my opinion of course.

Last edited:
As for Musk, I think he is peculiar and has some pretty distasteful character traits. But he’s also a genius and may very well be someone who has impacted mankind for the better more than anyone else on earth. I’m definitely rooting for him, even if I think his foray into social media platforms is not his highest, best use. Then again, I think it very well could be one step in a much longer game plan that could bring positive change. In short, I may not be a fan of certain aspects of his character, but I’m a huge fan of his incredible vision and big dreams. I’m rooting for his success big time and that includes Twitter. Because if he loses billions on Twitter, that may negatively impact his other pursuits.

Last edited:

Right. And sharing your personal experience that people questioning Twitter’s utility post-takeover are motivated by Musk hate in response to someone who has questioned Twitter’s utility post-takeover was not a productive way to discuss the issue. I didn’t say the characterization of your personal experience was false. I said it wasn’t a productive way to discuss the issue. Just like if I responded to your post that you find the user experience improved by saying that in my experience most people who say their user experience is improved are motivated to say that because they are Musk fanboys. It’s just not a productive way to have the discussion about what changes people are seeing. There have been comments to that effect in this thread which, as I stated, are also not productive. In my opinion of course.

No worries. We can disagree there. I think people sharing their personal experiences is an important and productive part of the discussion in my opinion.

If Twitter would stop the mobile app from zipping back over to “For You” instead of the list I last left off from, Musk can post whatever he wants and I wouldn’t care. But until then, down with Musk.
Aye aye. The other thing that I’d like to see is being able to remember my saved logins. If I could click on a link without being required to continuously provide my subscription credentials to FBGs, WaPo, The Athletic, etc. every time I click on a link, that would be great.

If Twitter would stop the mobile app from zipping back over to “For You” instead of the list I last left off from, Musk can post whatever he wants and I wouldn’t care. But until then, down with Musk.
I don't use Twitter much, just to follow my kids team and school. I had this issue for awhile then all of a sudden it stayed on the following tab..... I was frustrated it kept going back to the for you.....not sure what "fixed it"

Aye aye. The other thing that I’d like to see is being able to remember my saved logins. If I could click on a link without being required to continuously provide my subscription credentials to FBGs, WaPo, The Athletic, etc. every time I click on a link, that would be great.
Not sure on other sites but on my iphone, my FBG logins are always remembered.

Does not work on my iPhone for some reason. Just tried clicking on a link from the FBGs Twitter account, and, again, had to enter my login info.

By far the biggest driver of me using the app less.

My app (iphone) opens on "following".

But if it's not there, one click puts me on whatever section I want a top of the screen. It shows my most used lists there which is great UX.

But even if it didn't, if one click is enough to not make you use app, I'm assuming it's not much value to you.

Does not work on my iPhone for some reason. Just tried clicking on a link from the FBGs Twitter account, and, again, had to enter my login info.

Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. Maybe something in settings but I'm no expert there.

X suing Media Matters.

From the article:

Media Matters released a report by Hananoki on Thursday, which included screenshots of mainstream advertisements appearing beside pro-Nazi content on X. A wave of businesses, including IBM, Apple and Disney, subsequently suspended advertising.

The lawsuit by X — which claims interference with contract, business disparagement and interference with prospective economic advantage — said some of X’s largest advertisers were among the companies pulling their ads.

The lawsuit said that Media Matters manipulated the X algorithm by following 30 accounts made up only of controversial users and large companies, then undertaking “excessive” scrolling and refreshing.

“The overall effect on advertisers and users was to create the false, misleading perception that these types of pairings were common, widespread, and alarming,” the filing said.

Pre-Musk Twitter was clearly involved in viewpoint based discrimination in its moderation policies. Maybe that wasn’t pervasive enough to affect most people’s experience on the platform - I don’t pretend to be an expert on such things. Certainly most users probably enjoyed that policy as they on balance agreed with the viewpoints being favored. But as much as I don’t like a lot of what Musk does or says I’m not exactly pining for the good old days on Twitter either, particularly since my own personal user experience hasn’t been negatively impacted by the transition.
This captures my view on pre/post Musk difference in experience. Particularly for COVID, there were many dissenting views suppressed and other views boosted.

In terms of platform experience, its frigging posts on a message board, I don't understand all the UX changes people are referencing that are materially impacting them. But then again, I remember this site changing forum colors and that causing planetary misalignment.

I said it earlier, but I really like the community notes feature. I think @The Commish said that he doesn't trust X for the truth...I don't either, but I by far trust the totality of what I get on twitter more than any other source...particularly with community notes included. Amazing how often MSM gets community noted.

As far as Musk goes, I don't like everything he says, but I like more than I dis-like. More importantly I love that he speaks his mind and that he's allowed others to do so on X.

This captures my view on pre/post Musk difference in experience. Particularly for COVID, there were many dissenting views suppressed and other views boosted.

In terms of platform experience, its frigging posts on a message board, I don't understand all the UX changes people are referencing that are materially impacting them. But then again, I remember this site changing forum colors and that causing planetary misalignment.

I said it earlier, but I really like the community notes feature. I think @The Commish said that he doesn't trust X for the truth...I don't either, but I by far trust the totality of what I get on twitter more than any other source...particularly with community notes included. Amazing how often MSM gets community noted.

As far as Musk goes, I don't like everything he says, but I like more than I dis-like. More importantly I love that he speaks his mind and that he's allowed others to do so on X.
I don't use twitter anymore....about 6 years since I've even been on the platform. My comment above was about trusting Israeli or Hamas based sources to give us a good account of what is actually happening there (regardless of platform). As far as twitter goes, if I understand the platform changes correctly, now, anyone can be anyone on the site. For me, that would mean having to go through and verify the legitimacy of all the different people/businesses/sources myself. I feel like I'd just be better off going directly to the source where I actually KNOW it's the source.

:lmao: I do think some of my empathy for Twitter is because of stuff like this. I used to be shocked at how strongly people would argue things like that but no more. And it makes sense, debating a message board on a message board makes sense.

I don't use twitter anymore....about 6 years since I've even been on the platform. My comment above was about trusting Israeli or Hamas based sources to give us a good account of what is actually happening there (regardless of platform). As far as twitter goes, if I understand the platform changes correctly, now, anyone can be anyone on the site. For me, that would mean having to go through and verify the legitimacy of all the different people/businesses/sources myself. I feel like I'd just be better off going directly to the source where I actually KNOW it's the source.
Yah, don't like what they did with "verified" status. But in practice, I don't have any issues identifying accurate accounts (its not like I have 12 Elon Musk tweets in my feed from imposters that I have to figure out). If someone is legit, they have the followers to prove it.

What are "Community Notes" that everyone is saying is the main improvement? I don't see anything?
These are fantastic and should be picked up by other sites. It basically uses crowd sourcing to fact check posts. I've seen a few that were at least sort of debatable, but mostly they're spot on.

:lmao: I do think some of my empathy for Twitter is because of stuff like this. I used to be shocked at how strongly people would argue things like that but no more. And it makes sense, debating a message board on a message board makes sense.

Too funny!

Not the first time he's been community noted...love to see it.
My joke aside, the notes are great. Adding context to a post where people frame things a certain way, usually intentionally. They have been weaponized from time to time, but whatever. That's gonna happen.

As a real time news source, really good. The best we have. Bad actors doing dumb stuff? It happens. It happened before, it'll continue to happen. That's not Musk's fault, and he's not going to fix it. I don't believe he really cares to. He's a s***poster himself, he's not getting rid of other s***posters.

The idea that he's creating this open discussion forum, with exchange of ideas, like it's a worldwide Ted Talk or something, :lol: .

That must be happening elsewhere, I haven't seen all the Twitter

My joke aside, the notes are great. Adding context to a post where people frame things a certain way, usually intentionally. They have been weaponized from time to time, but whatever. That's gonna happen.

As a real time news source, really good. The best we have. Bad actors doing dumb stuff? It happens. It happened before, it'll continue to happen. That's not Musk's fault, and he's not going to fix it. I don't believe he really cares to. He's a s***poster himself, he's not getting rid of other s***posters.

The idea that he's creating this open discussion forum, with exchange of ideas, like it's a worldwide Ted Talk or something, :lol: .

I would like to see posts that are community noted de-monetized, think that would help not make s***posting as valuable. I'd say go even further but then I think to your point it then gets weaponized.

Do the notes get passed on with retweets?
Yes. Although if you were retweeted something by someone you follow and it was noted after that time then the damage is done.

One thing I appreciate is that for posts I've liked, if it has been noted I get a notification that it has been noted. Thats happened to me twice.

I would like to see posts that are community noted de-monetized, think that would help not make s***posting as valuable. I'd say go even further but then I think to your point it then gets weaponized.
The way they're monetizing posts encourages sh-- posting and trolling. They really need to link this up with community notes in the way you describe. I imagine this is likely to happen at some point, but who knows.

i have seen the community notes and always appreciate when they're posted however these notes are pretty infrequent in my experience, not sure exactly how these could be made more prevalent or even the process of how they get implemented, but would be a big improvement if that could somehow happen

Yes. Although if you were retweeted something by someone you follow and it was noted after that time then the damage is done.

One thing I appreciate is that for posts I've liked, if it has been noted I get a notification that it has been noted. Thats happened to me twice.
So it just takes the "notes" at the point and time it's retweeted? Better than nothing I suppose.

i have seen the community notes and always appreciate when they're posted however these notes are pretty infrequent in my experience, not sure exactly how these could be made more prevalent or even the process of how they get implemented, but would be a big improvement if that could somehow happen
Pay people to "fact check"?

So it just takes the "notes" at the point and time it's retweeted? Better than nothing I suppose.
Technically if you were to go back to that retweet you received a week later I believe the community note would be there. But practically speaking thats not how people use the service, you don't go back to old tweets you got last week to see if they were modified.

I think the only way around that would be to proactively notify users of every single tweet that has appeared in their timeline that was community noted, not sure if thats feasible.

Technically if you were to go back to that retweet you received a week later I believe the community note would be there. But practically speaking thats not how people use the service, you don't go back to old tweets you got last week to see if they were modified.

I think the only way around that would be to proactively notify users of every single tweet that has appeared in their timeline that was community noted, not sure if thats feasible.
They'd have to cascade the change on the original tweet to all the retweets. I had heard mention of being able to "edit" tweets as well and they'd have to do something similar for that to make sense.

They'd have to cascade the change on the original tweet to all the retweets. I had heard mention of being able to "edit" tweets as well and they'd have to do something similar for that to make sense.
Right, what I’m saying is that I believe that actually occurs, but to make it mean anything they would have to force retweet those retweets so people see the change…otherwise it’s a tree falling in the woods that nobody hears.

Right, what I’m saying is that I believe that actually occurs, but to make it mean anything they would have to force retweet those retweets so people see the change…otherwise it’s a tree falling in the woods that nobody hears.
gotcha...thanks!

But if it's not there, one click puts me on whatever section I want a top of the screen. It shows my most used lists there which is great UX.

But even if it didn't, if one click is enough to not make you use app, I'm assuming it's not much value to you.
The For You page is pretty much filled with garbage. I don't like apps that constantly try to nudge you into consuming content you don't want. :shrug:

Imagine the feedback you would get if your rankings pages defaulted to some super silly league settings like point-per-touch or kicker premiums.

The For You page is pretty much filled with garbage. I don't like apps that constantly try to nudge you into consuming content you don't want. :shrug:

Imagine the feedback you would get if your rankings pages defaulted to some super silly league settings like point-per-touch or kicker premiums.
So weird, do you actually use twitter...the algo actually has to observe your behavior to be valuable. At this point I don't even follow some people who's content I like because they now constantly show up in my "for you". There is stuff in my "for you" that I don't find useful as well, but I mute the person and I assume that feedback better helps curate what I receive.

So weird, do you actually use twitter...the algo actually has to observe your behavior to be valuable. At this point I don't even follow some people who's content I like because they now constantly show up in my "for you". There is stuff in my "for you" that I don't find useful as well, but I mute the person and I assume that feedback better helps curate what I receive.
The "for you" tab is definitely a work in progress, some people have definitely figured out how to get their stuff on there. I follow this one guy, who I never click on his posts, and if I go to the For You tab, he's always among the top posts, no matter if his posts are 1 or 7 hours old. He's a men's style/clothing writer, but same with Car Dealership Guy, and other people who are aggressively trying to raise their Twitter profile. Otherwise, it's hot takes that get a lot of replies, which is usually something I don't need to read.

That's something I don't really care if it gets fixed, the For You tab (aside from it being the default landing). The For You tab is basically, hey, let's explore Twitter and see what people are talking about!!---Clearly a bad idea. Like going on Facebook and reading political posts from OTHER people's aunties. :lmao: For You is CLEARLY designed to keep you on the app, and no one wants to be manipulated by an algorithm.

By the way, it feels to me like when I am on Twitter often, the page lands on Following. If I am off it for a few days, it is back to For You.

I follow this one guy, who I never click on his posts, and if I go to the For You tab, he's always among the top posts, no matter if his posts are 1 or 7 hours old. He's a men's style/clothing writer,

Do you mean Derek Guy? https://x.com/dieworkwear?s=20
Yep.

Just went to the For You tab, and he and Car Dealership guy were among top 5 posts.

Among some fantasy guys I don't follow getting into arguments with someone. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread