What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

Redskins usually come out flat after a bye. Redskins often struggle against bad teams. Fat Rob is out  again. Trent is hurt. So yeah, I'm worried about today's game.

Once again, we left a team one minute (an eternity now adays) to drive the field, where only a field goal would win it.

I liked our fight in the fourth quarter after the game was tied at 17 to not TOTALLY come unraveled but rather make plays to take back control.

But I think Gruden made a serious error running the ball on that last third down play.  We then punted through the end zone and if it weren't for Garcon's PI penalty, we may have lost that game.  I know the idea was to run more time off the clock, but if you are going to leave them with one minute then I think a better move is to go for that first down on third down. and put the game out of reach.  SF was crowding the line every play and I can't help but think that a play action pass to Thompson or Reed for 5 yards would have been there.

It's all in hindsight now but Gruden's end game time/play management continues to make me nervous...

simey said:
Playing it conservative near the end of the 4th by rushing it three times in a row almost came back to bite them.
Agreed.  I think a third down play action call could have provided a very "non-risky" was to go for the first down and keep the clock running even if it would have been short...

Without looking inside the numbers/taking 3-2 at face value, 'skins are right where most expected they'd be post-Week 6. Now comes the midseason mini-gauntlet of @ Eagles, vs Cowboys, @ Seahawks...I"ve read/heard opinions across the spectrum of outcomes as to how we're going to fare over that stretch. I'm hoping we're 5-4 going into hosting the Vikings, but based on yesterday, I can't have any reasonable measure of confidence. Playing the 49'ers, here,  1PM, and at the end of their 3-game road stretch was not a game I expected to come out of where the prominent phrase going through my mind is "a win is a win". How we went from kicking their ### to holding our breath.

Going into the Bye Week, I'd seen flashes of things that had me thinking "if the week off goes well, they're going to put these things together and more resemble a cohesive product when they next hit the field"...looks like they still need more time. Well, they get almost an extra 2 days this week, at least...and it's only a short ride up I-95, so there's that.

Better have a good week of practice. The Team that beat the 49'ers yesterday isn't likely to beat the Eagles next Monday night...

As an aside, being an old timer 'skins fan, plus a Penn St./Big10 guy, I've kept a casual eye on the kids of most of the Players who comprise the cohort I was passionate about growing up, including Gibbs and Beathard, and, post-game, win in hand, was happy that Iowa product CJ didn't have a complete meltdown and absolutely showed some things in his pro debut. Hope the kid has a nice career in him, as long as it's not at our expense.

As I typed that, I started thinking 'jeez, can you imagine if the 'skins had drafted Bobby Beathard's grandson, he looked good in the preseason, and the 'skins/Cousins were struggling midseason?'...the way the last several years have gone, I almost have to pinch myself to affirm that scenario isn't actually playing itself out. Sheesh!

Without looking inside the numbers/taking 3-2 at face value, 'skins are right where most expected they'd be post-Week 6. Now comes the midseason mini-gauntlet of @ Eagles, vs Cowboys, @ Seahawks...I"ve read/heard opinions across the spectrum of outcomes as to how we're going to fare over that stretch. I'm hoping we're 5-4 going into hosting the Vikings, but based on yesterday, I can't have any reasonable measure of confidence. Playing the 49'ers, here,  1PM, and at the end of their 3-game road stretch was not a game I expected to come out of where the prominent phrase going through my mind is "a win is a win". How we went from kicking their ### to holding our breath.

Going into the Bye Week, I'd seen flashes of things that had me thinking "if the week off goes well, they're going to put these things together and more resemble a cohesive product when they next hit the field"...looks like they still need more time. Well, they get almost an extra 2 days this week, at least...and it's only a short ride up I-95, so there's that.

Better have a good week of practice. The Team that beat the 49'ers yesterday isn't likely to beat the Eagles next Monday night...

As an aside, being an old timer 'skins fan, plus a Penn St./Big10 guy, I've kept a casual eye on the kids of most of the Players who comprise the cohort I was passionate about growing up, including Gibbs and Beathard, and, post-game, win in hand, was happy that Iowa product CJ didn't have a complete meltdown and absolutely showed some things in his pro debut. Hope the kid has a nice career in him, as long as it's not at our expense.

As I typed that, I started thinking 'jeez, can you imagine if the 'skins had drafted Bobby Beathard's grandson, he looked good in the preseason, and the 'skins/Cousins were struggling midseason?'...the way the last several years have gone, I almost have to pinch myself to affirm that scenario isn't actually playing itself out. Sheesh!
Re: Bethard, everyone is so certain that SF is going to break the bank to sign Cousins.  But, why would you spend a king's random on a 30 year old vet when Bethard is in his early 20s, honestly looks just as good, and is in his rookie contract.  Add to that the fact that SF is 0-6 and will be poised to get a top 3 pick this year, in a year where there are several decent QBs to be had.  Cousins has looked ok this year, but not sure there is so much separation between him and other options (like Bethard) as to make his signing a no-brainer. 

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out...but I can see Cousins not staying in D.C. but also not being signed by SF...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bethard, everyone is so certain that SF is going to break the bank to sign Cousins.  But, why would you spend a king's random on a 30 year old vet when Bethard is in his early 20s, honestly looks just as good, and is in his rookie contract.  Add to that the fact that SF is 0-6 and will be poised to get a top 3 pick this year, in a year where there are several decent QBs to be had.  Cousins has looked ok this year, but not sure there is so much separation between him and other options (like Bethard) as to make his signing a no-brainer. 

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out...but I can see Cousins not staying in D.C. but also not being signed by SF...
Another question is why on Earth do The Redskins always have problems with backups coming in midgame?

Another question is why on Earth do The Redskins always have problems with backups coming in midgame?
DJ Swearinger didn't even know who Bethard was, so probably because we don't prepare for them.

Also, loved DJ's quote after the game, "They a real good 0-6 team."  LOL

Blast from the past.  Read this article from 1997 and then reflect on what actually happened...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/cooke/articles/future7.htm

Stable Future for Redskins Is Cooke's Legacy

By Bill Brubaker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 7, 1997; Page C1

As recently as Saturday, Jack Kent Cooke was on the phone, working to secure the future of his most beloved possession, the Washington Redskins.

"I talked to him three times," said Gerard Evans, the lawyer and lobbyist who has been assisting Cooke with his 78,000-seat stadium project in Prince George's County. "There was a final bill in the [Maryland] general assembly [that passed Saturday] to allow a liquor license for seven days a week. He was very happy."

Cooke's death yesterday signals the end of an era in the Washington sports world. But it should have little immediate impact on the Redskins because Cooke's son, John Kent Cooke, has been running the club's day-to-day operations since 1981 and, in recent weeks, Jack Kent Cooke took decisive steps to stabilize the club's future.

On March 4, Jack Kent Cooke gave his coach, Norv Turner, a vote of confidence by extending his contract for three years, through the 2001 season. "I think Mr. Cooke has sent a message that we're going to have continuity," Turner said at the time. Cooke said he had never met "a more talented coach and motivator of men than Norv."

A week later, Cooke extended the contract of Redskins General Manager Charlie Casserly through the 2000 season. "With the tandem of Charles and the finest head football coach in the league, I am convinced that the Redskins are ready to embark on an era of unsurpassed victories and championships," Cooke said.

Though the structure of Pro Football, Inc. — the Redskins' corporate name — should not change significantly, John Cooke will likely take on broader responsibilities, overseeing the franchise as sole owner of Jack Kent Cooke, Inc., which controls Pro Football, Inc. For 16 years, John Cooke has been the Redskins' executive vice president.

As for the new stadium in Landover, scheduled to open this fall, "There is no question that this will get built no matter what," Evans said yesterday. "Once the final approvals were made, I think the thing was on its way. ... It will get built on time and on budget. I think over 70 percent [of the construction] is finished."

John Kent Cooke, 55, has spent most of his adult life working for his father's sports and cable TV companies. In recent months, John Cooke has told associates he intends to keep the team in the family and maintain control of the day-to-day operations.

The seemingly smooth transition from father to son should come as no surprise. In a 1995 interview with the TNT cable network, Jack Kent Cooke said he expected to still be running the Redskins in 10 or 15 years, but that in 20 years, "I imagine my son, John, will be running them and, subsequently, my grandson, John Jr., will be running them." Today, John Jr. is the Redskins' director of stadium operations/club promotions.

Contacted at his father's home, John Cooke Jr. said yesterday he and his father would not be available for an interview.

John Kent Cooke was groomed as a sports team executive in the 1960s, working as ticket sales director of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers and the NHL's Los Angeles Kings, which his father owned.

When Jack Kent Cooke headed to Washington in 1979, John Cooke and his family followed, purchasing an estate at Byrnley Farms, a short drive from his father's spread in Middleburg, in the heart of Virginia's hunt country.

At Redskin Park, John Cooke's job has been to make a multitude of non-football decisions — some big, some minuscule. An avid sailor who now lives in Georgetown, John Cooke keeps track of budgets and contract talks, for example, as well as negotiating radio network rights fees. He also has represented his father at NFL owners' meetings for more than a decade.

"I'm a very lucky fellow. . . . I don't think there is anybody alive who is more knowledgeable of professional sports in the country ... than my father," John Cooke said in a 1984 interview. "To be his son and to be as close to him as I am ... is very much like the painter learning under the master. ... [Someday] I want my father to see that these years that I have spent with him have not been wasted, that I have paid attention and that I've learned my lessons well."

Even as his health deteriorated over the past year (he had trouble walking and even grasping a pen) Jack Kent Cooke had the final word on major Redskins decisions. But in recent years, as Cooke devoted more time to the stadium project and maintaining his own health, John Cooke has assumed wider authority over the club's day-to-day operations. Jack Kent Cooke hasn't been to Redskin Park in several months and didn't attend the team's final two home games at RFK Stadium last season.

With the Redskins poised to move into their new stadium, the franchise should get a flow of revenue it never had in the past. Evans, the lawyer/lobbyist, said John Cooke has been "very much involved" in the stadium project's details. "He was out there [at the construction site] all the time," Evans said.

Still, people close to the Redskins — and throughout the sports industry — agree that no one can replace Jack Kent Cooke.

"His personal imprint was everywhere on the stadium," Evans said. "He picked the kind of trees [to be planted outside the stadium]. He loved evergreen trees" because "he said there should be green around the stadium all the time and he wouldn't have to clean up" fallen leaves.

On Saturday, Evans said, Cooke jokingly warned him of the consequences he would face if the Maryland general assembly did not grant the Redskins that seven-days-a-week liquor license.

"He told me that if we didn't get a license, I'd be hawking peanuts at his new stadium," Evans said, several hours after Cooke's death.

Staff writers Thomas Heath, Richard Justice and Dave Sell contributed to this report.

© Copyright 1997 The Washington Post Company

When Cooke sold The Lakers in 1979 it was the largest business transaction in sports.  When his estate sold The Redskins it was the largest business transaction in sports.  And the judge that presided over his divorce settlement in 1979 (also the largest in history at the time) was Judge Wapner.

When Cooke sold The Lakers in 1979 it was the largest business transaction in sports.  When his estate sold The Redskins it was the largest business transaction in sports.  And the judge that presided over his divorce settlement in 1979 (also the largest in history at the time) was Judge Wapner.
That's gold!  :lmao:

Damn, Allen sprained his Lis Franc. Not a good injury for a big man (or anyone), they're going to have to be very careful with him. 

This is bad. Allen and Ionnidas have been crushing the pocket together

I like the run call on 3rd down. That's 40 seconds right there.  A lot of time. And maybe they actually execute and convert. Last night the Giants did the same thing with their backs basically in their own endzone. Denver knew a run was coming. They sold out completely for it, and Darkwa took it up the middle for 20 yards to seal the game. 

For all the frustration about the Skins almost blowing that layup of a game, worth keeping in mind that the only reason it was that close is that the Skins got hosed on a freak turnover and bad call.  Skins had the ball in good field position after a missed FG towards the end of the third quarter, and had completed a first down pass to Davis close to midfield when he "fumbled." He pretty clearly was down before he fumbled IMO, but because the call on the field always favors a turnover for practical reasons and there was no clear video evidence to overturn, the call stood (not confirmed, just stood). If they get that call right the Skins are in 2nd and 4 at their 43, perfectly set up to make it a two-score game again at the close of the 3rd quarter. Instead it was a tie game. Total fluke play.

For all the frustration about the Skins almost blowing that layup of a game, worth keeping in mind that the only reason it was that close is that the Skins got hosed on a freak turnover and bad call.  Skins had the ball in good field position after a missed FG towards the end of the third quarter, and had completed a first down pass to Davis close to midfield when he "fumbled." He pretty clearly was down before he fumbled IMO, but because the call on the field always favors a turnover for practical reasons and there was no clear video evidence to overturn, the call stood (not confirmed, just stood). If they get that call right the Skins are in 2nd and 4 at their 43, perfectly set up to make it a two-score game again at the close of the 3rd quarter. Instead it was a tie game. Total fluke play.
Yes, that was a pivotal play for sure.  And props to the team for staying poised and scoring twice in a row following this play.  That does show resilience and they should be applauded for it.  The Redskins are not good enough anyway to claim that they "should" beat any team.  Every game is going to be a dog fight and the one that that will  give us a chance is the defense keeping it close.  We should be prepared for 12 more close games...

It's also worth noting that many very good teams were upset this week, so the mantra "any given Sunday" remains alive and well in the NFL.  I'm thinking about cases like Kansas City losing to a Pittsburgh team that many were starting to write off, Atlanta dropping their game to Miami, and Denver getting their doors blown off by the Giants.  So, to your point, you can't take for granted that you will even beat these teams for sure. San Fran, while 0-6, has played 6 games within 3 points, so it's not really fair IMO to put them in the "Cleveland bad" category.  Shanny, Jr. does have them playing hard and I think they may be building a good thing there.

My real worries for the team are not related to the final score but to other things, some of which relate to their play and some of which relate to issues somewhat "beyond their control."

Biggest worry is the mounting injuries.  On defense, it seem like just as we've solidified the secondary, they are wracked with injuries.  Young guys like Nicholson, Fuller, Moreu, Hosby, etc. have done an awesome job stepping up and big time props to the defensive coaches for getting them ready.  Still, I don't like the prospect of going against Wentz with both Normal and Breeland out...that is a fairly steep hill to climb.  Meanwhile, I agree with the comments on Allen.  Gruden does talk highly of Lanier, who will probably get most snaps in Allen's absence...let's hope he can fill in adequately.

On the offensive side of the ball, I know Kelley is not a world beater, but I think our offense really misses him.  Before he went out, we were building a team around tough, hard nosed defense and power running, with Cousins only needing to throw to support that.  And I think that IS the way for the Redskins to thrive.  Cousins is good, not great, and when we can't get production from Perine, and when Thompson is not a 25 carry guy, then that leaves us in a position where we have to throw more than we want.  My observation of Cousins is that is good but not the guy that will carry you.  That may have been good enough vs. San Fran but we have Philly and Dallas coming up and we're going to need more ground production.  Honestly, I think our main need this offseason from an offensive perspective is not QB or WR, it's RB.  Look at what all the great rookie RBs have done this year, like Hunt, Cook, Fournette, etc.  Even in a pass happy league, it makes a big difference.  Just MO.

I do think we have a chance vs. Philly but it would be good to either get Breeland or Norman back and Kelley.  Not sure if that'll happen, but it's still early in the week so I'm hoping for the best...

Sebowski said:
I like the run call on 3rd down. That's 40 seconds right there.  A lot of time. And maybe they actually execute and convert. Last night the Giants did the same thing with their backs basically in their own endzone. Denver knew a run was coming. They sold out completely for it, and Darkwa took it up the middle for 20 yards to seal the game. 
And then on Monday night Derek Henry its off a 72 yard TD on 3rd and 5 when the Titans are just trying to keep the clock running. 

I have a feeling we're going to see Ioannidis become a lot less productive without Allen next to him. I haven't been watching game film or anything, but it seems like Allen has been drawing some double team and Ioannidis has been able to beat some guys one-on-one.

What's up with Rob Kelley? The Redskins practice report has not been updated since last Friday, Rotoworld promised an update on Wednesday (got nothing), and ESPN has been no help at all.

Eh, maybe I should have rephrased my question as "Why do so many fantasy football sites SUCK at providing updated info?"

What's up with Rob Kelley? The Redskins practice report has not been updated since last Friday, Rotoworld promised an update on Wednesday (got nothing), and ESPN has been no help at all.

Eh, maybe I should have rephrased my question as "Why do so many fantasy football sites SUCK at providing updated info?"
Practicing today. Looks like the assumption is he'll be active (and I assume starting) Monday night.

Any word on whether Norman will play on Monday night?
John Keim:  Redskins corners Josh Norman and Bashaud Breeland are participating in individual drills. Breeland sprained his left MCL Sunday; Norman missed last week with a fractured rib.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0712714610171451103-4

I think it's still a long shot, but both Norman and Breeland are making progress.  I'm just hoping to have at least one back for Monday night, along with Rob Kelley...

yea that went exactly how i expected.  Lots of injuries unfortunately.  Philly is a really good team though.

now lets hunker down and beat the cowgirls.  because #### them

I unfortunately missed the game.  Can someone give me reader's digest:  was this a matter of Wash playing poorly / making mistakes or is Philly just legit superior team playing at home?  Or, was it a matter of Wash with just too many injuries to overcome?  Any insights appreciated...

I unfortunately missed the game.  Can someone give me reader's digest:  was this a matter of Wash playing poorly / making mistakes or is Philly just legit superior team playing at home?  Or, was it a matter of Wash with just too many injuries to overcome?  Any insights appreciated...
i missed a bit of the third quarter but washington was owning them early.  getting good pressure and stopping them on offense and moving the ball on the flip side.  But i think philly is a really good team and finally got things going.  we did have a bunch of injuries that didnt help, a bad pick by cousins at one point when we needed to score.  But ultimately philly is a much better team.  probably best in the NFC.  Ohhh and pryor really sucks.  :wall:

Washington looked pretty good at times.  The 1st half of the game was like a heavyweight fight with the two boxers feeling each other out.  They seemed very evenly matched.

Unfortunately, injuries piled up and the Redskins couldn't solve the mystery of Wentz.  They let him escape from the pocket a few too many times.

Thanks for the information guys.  Well, I guess the good news for the Skins is there are a whole bunch of teams bunched up for the Wild Card Slots, with no one really separating themselves.  Teams like Green Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa, Detroit -- all these teams have gathered a number of losses as well and Green Bay is in real trouble without Rogers.  So, at 3-3, Skins probably are not winning the division but wild card is there to be had for any NFC team who can string together 9 or 10 wins. 

It begins with us getting healthy though...that continues to be my main worry...

i missed a bit of the third quarter but washington was owning them early.  getting good pressure and stopping them on offense and moving the ball on the flip side.  But i think philly is a really good team and finally got things going.  we did have a bunch of injuries that didnt help, a bad pick by cousins at one point when we needed to score.  But ultimately philly is a much better team.  probably best in the NFC.  Ohhh and pryor really sucks.  :wall:
Is Pryor officially a bust at this point?

yes.  he is not good.  heard hes not running routes well.  hes dropping lots of passes.  Not sure if he lost confidence or what.  But hey id rather focus on getting doctson involved more anyway.
I agree.  Hell, I'd be ok with elevating Maurice Harris to the active roster and just cutting bait on Pryor. 

It does seem like Doctson is finally showing some potential.  And it was nice to see that Reed finally seemed to have a good game. 

How did Grant look?  I know Gruden loves that dude...

I agree.  Hell, I'd be ok with elevating Maurice Harris to the active roster and just cutting bait on Pryor. 

It does seem like Doctson is finally showing some potential.  And it was nice to see that Reed finally seemed to have a good game. 

How did Grant look?  I know Gruden loves that dude...
Wow, just saw this box:

Receiving

V. Davis 4-67

J. Reed 8-64

J. Doctson 3-39

N. Paul 1-32

J. Crowder 2-28

C. Thompson 5-26

R. Grant 3-19

R. Kelley 2-14

T. Pryor 2-14

It's true that Cousins was 30-40 but it looks like he had 20 catches by backs and TEs and 10 by WRs.  Lots of safety stuff...

M

Injuries are piling up. Gonna need a big game this week to beat Dallas and stay in the running. A loss this week and were in trouble. I don’t see us going into Seattle and winning. 

I am a Doctson/Pryor owner so I have watched the highlights this year.  To me it looks like Cousins is padding his stats by taking the safe underneath dink/dunks.  I think he's doing so for that long term contract.  A great example is if you look at the 4th down throw last night with 20 sec left Cousins would rather throw it away instead of trying for the 1st down so he won't have an Int under his game log.

If Wash has a lead this is a way to move the ball.  If Wash falls behind they don't have the ability to keep pace.  Therefore, the offense is one dimensional.  Down by 2 scores Cousins wasted so much time dinking/dunking.  It makes sense that Thompson and the TEs are the leading receivers.  But this game script and Cousins' selfishness will make your lose the division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Pryor officially a bust at this point?
Yes, he is.  

Amazing that the Skins actually thought they could lose 2 1000-yard receivers and go with Doctson (who still hasn't emerged) and an athletic guy who was still learning to play the position in Pryor.   

Users who are viewing this thread