What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

I know it is not the same, but the Ray Rice incident comes to mind.  Initially, the league gave Rice a slap on the wrist.  When the video become public, he was basically banished from the league.  So just maybe, Snyder will be forced to sell after getting a slap on the wrist.

ffmail4me said:
Getting my hopes up but sounds like Dan might FINALLY be forced out. Fingers and toes crossed!!! 
Hoping for y'all fans this is true. Best thing is if he's out of NFL. No teams' fans deserve him. 

It's a great name if the team starts winning Super Bowls.

Phoebe Cates was in a movie with Matthew Modine called Private School. Modine is an acting stiff, he would fit right in with the cast of the Blair Witch Project. It was on Cates to carry that movie all by herself.

The interesting thing is part of the strategy in that film was to put Cates in as much unflattering tacky outfits as possible to draw away from her seductive vixen theme in Fast Times At Ridgemont High role. Private School wanted a more sedate wholesome Cates image.

The problem was that Phoebe Cates was a pure smokeshow dime piece. You could put her in a Hot Dog On A Stick uniform and she'd still look like a SI Swimsuit model. You could dress her up like the crazy killer clown from Stephen King's IT, and her Pennywise routine would still make guys sit upright in those movie chairs.

The point of this ( Beyond Cates being the perfect blend of sexy and cute, which Steve Carrell was talking about in Crazy Stupid Love) is that winning is sexy and if you keep winning, everyone looks "cute" even a puntable team name like the Commanders.

It's part of the "Halo Effect" which means if you are seen as undeniably attractive, that all your other qualities are assumed to be positive and uplifting and virtuous as well. How do you know if Phoebe Cates is a "great charming sweet girl"?  She's hot as hell or was but people just assume that. But that's pretty basic psychology and sociology at work. Cates could have been running a secret drug ring and importing children in shipping containers for all we know.

So this is kind of a "Reverse Halo Effect" where the stink of Dan Snyder makes everyone else look ugly.

Pick anyone in Hollywood where you think their face could stop a clock. Then have them, in slow motion, come out of the pool like Cates did in Fast Times. Do you think it's going to have the same effect? You go from a Perfect 10 to a Middling 2. Now put that Middling 2 in Private School. Then those tacky outfits are completely garish and make you want to puke.

People just hate Dan Snyder.  And Snyder has given people lots of reasons to hate him. But let's be clear about the methodology in which a pretty pedestrian team football now is now a sign of the future apocalypse simply because Dimwit Dan chose it for Washington.

In the 80's, if I had singular Ahab moment, it was trying to find a Phoebe Cates clone with a strong mix of Belinda Carlisle and maybe a dash of young Lauren Bacall. That was my white whale. I would drive my Porsche to the record store sometimes and see what real people looked like to remind myself of such an ill fated pursuit and realize fiction is better than truth sometimes, until it's not.

Keeping with that, some of you have " white whale " where you envision a world and life for the former Redskins without Dan Snyder. I don't see that happening. Sorry my football brothers, I don't see that happening.

The best you guys are going to get is maybe the Jennifer Grey tier post Red Dawn.
This post gets a standing ovation from me for including 3 of my favorite things: 1980's Phoebe Cates, the movie "Crazy, Stupid, Love", and Pennywise the Clown.

Until the day there is a post saying "Snyder has sold the team," all optimism and hope, and by proxy this thread, will be useless. It'll just be MOTS.

Its looking like its false from what im seeing on the reddit sub.  thank goodness. 

Here's your first hint it's garbage...

The .@Commanders have offered the @HoustonTexans  @youngchase907 & 2022 11th pk and 42nd pk.....plus a 3rd round pick in 2023 for QB #DeshaunWatson! #WeAreTexans #TakeCommand

I like Commodores better.  Can we get a thread title change?

Surprised nobody in VA is approaching Army Navy CC in Arlington about their land.  It's not owned by the military or government.  A huge portion of their members are civilians.  Probably 175 acres...not sure exactly.  Right off 395 so easy access.  Minutes from DC.  Not on the metro line but not far from the Pentagon stop.  Probably cost $600M or so for the land.  Plenty of room for stadium and all kinds of development.  Views of DC including Washington Monument.   No idea how the members would approve a sale or divvy up the money.   But I expect it's enough per person to make it interesting to many of them.

ETA:  I personally wish they would return to RFK site.  But if it's gonna be in my home state, at least get it close to DC.  Might as well be the Virginia Commanders if it ends up in Prince William or Loudoun.  Same problem they had at FedEx.  Might as well be the Landover Commanders while they are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Commodores better.  Can we get a thread title change?

Surprised nobody in VA is approaching Army Navy CC in Arlington about their land.  It's not owned by the military or government.  A huge portion of their members are civilians.  Probably 175 acres...not sure exactly.  Right off 395 so easy access.  Minutes from DC.  Not on the metro line but not far from the Pentagon stop.  Probably cost $600M or so for the land.  Plenty of room for stadium and all kinds of development.  Views of DC including Washington Monument.   No idea how the members would approve a sale or divvy up the money.   But I expect it's enough per person to make it interesting to many of them.

ETA:  I personally wish they would return to RFK site.  But if it's gonna be in my home state, at least get it close to DC.  Might as well be the Virginia Commanders if it ends up in Prince William or Loudoun.  Same problem they had at FedEx.  Might as well be the Landover Commanders while they are there.
Yeah, some people assume that I'd like the stadium to be near me but I think it would be stupid to put it so far out. At least FedEx is inside the beltway. The VA sites I hear about are way, way out. Latest news is talking about Sterling, Woodbridge, or Dumfries? Those are awful locations. 

Supposedly Rodgers doesn't have Washington on his list.  :kicksrock:

Well I want Watson more than him anyway! So suck on that ARod!!! ;)  

Yeah, some people assume that I'd like the stadium to be near me but I think it would be stupid to put it so far out. At least FedEx is inside the beltway. The VA sites I hear about are way, way out. Latest news is talking about Sterling, Woodbridge, or Dumfries? Those are awful locations. 

Hoodbridge and Dumb### (area of Dumfries/Manassas for the non-VA people)  would be horrible.  Traffic is worst in country.  Area sucks.  There is nothing good about that place.

Sterling I get cause it's near the practice facility and where players live.  Fedex probably feels like an away game to most players even if there were actually WAS fans in the stadium.  It's like a 90 min drive from where they live.  And Sterling/Ashburn has the Toll Road to get people there.   And let's be honest, it's always about money.  And the people in FFX, Loudoun and Montgomery which isn't too far of a drive have money.  And plenty of businesses like GD, LM, Oracle, Amazon, Google, all those in Tysons, Reston, and many, many others have offices and data centers out there.  They would buy suites.  There is simply more money west of town.  If they don't do RFK, gotta think Sterling/Ashburn is the next best even if the residents don't want the team there.  It would grow on them over time.

Rivera goes to the well again... please don't look for anyone talented to do the job 😑

The Washington Commanders announced today that they have promoted Offensive Quality Control Coach Todd Storm to Assistant Tight Ends Coach, Offensive Quality Control Coach Luke Del Rio to Assistant Quarterbacks Coach/Offensive Quality Control, Defensive Quality Control Coach Vincent Rivera to Assistant Linebackers Coach/Defensive Quality Control, and Coaching Intern Cristian Garcia to Defensive Quality Control Coach.

I know it's customary for coaches to baby their kids/relatives into coaching positions.  But God I'm glad my kids are self sufficient enough to find their own path.

And for what it's worth, Vincent Rivera was a mediocre at best WR in college.  Good thing he's gonna help fix the LBs.

More and more I think Heinicke is going to be the 3rd QB on this team next year.  It's proven no matter how hard he plays he doesn't have the skills to get the team to the playoffs consistently. So what's the point of starting him.

Barring them rolling the dice on Watson, I suspect we are looking at Winston or Trubisky as day 1 starter.  And a drafted guy as the future.   I'm not sure I spend that Round 1 pick on Willis or Corral though.  I saw enough of them in college games to have doubts about what they will be in the NFL.  Pickett maybe but I expect he's gone by then.  Would almost prefer a guy like Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell in Round 2 as the potential future.  At least one of them will fall to their 2nd pick.

This gives a 3-headed QB room that actually has talent.  Winston and Trubisky are still only 28 years old.  And both have talent, they just need to sustain it.  Heinicke can be there to hold a clipboard and as insurance.  And they can develop the draft pick over 1-2 years.  And if that pick works better than expected they can get them in earlier.   Paying 3 guys like Winston, Heinicke and a rookie isn't a big salary hit relative to the league average.  Which leaves lots of space to find some need players at TE, OL, and LB.

This also lets them pick a talent in Round 1.  Like Stingley at CB, Wilson at WR or Hamilton at S.  If any of them last to #11.

I'd pretty happily go into next year with:  QB: Winston, Howell, Heinicke  and them adding Garrett Wilson to the WR corps.

More and more I think Heinicke is going to be the 3rd QB on this team next year.  It's proven no matter how hard he plays he doesn't have the skills to get the team to the playoffs consistently. So what's the point of starting him.

Barring them rolling the dice on Watson, I suspect we are looking at Winston or Trubisky as day 1 starter.  And a drafted guy as the future.   I'm not sure I spend that Round 1 pick on Willis or Corral though.  I saw enough of them in college games to have doubts about what they will be in the NFL.  Pickett maybe but I expect he's gone by then.  Would almost prefer a guy like Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell in Round 2 as the potential future.  At least one of them will fall to their 2nd pick.

This gives a 3-headed QB room that actually has talent.  Winston and Trubisky are still only 28 years old.  And both have talent, they just need to sustain it.  Heinicke can be there to hold a clipboard and as insurance.  And they can develop the draft pick over 1-2 years.  And if that pick works better than expected they can get them in earlier.   Paying 3 guys like Winston, Heinicke and a rookie isn't a big salary hit relative to the league average.  Which leaves lots of space to find some need players at TE, OL, and LB.

This also lets them pick a talent in Round 1.  Like Stingley at CB, Wilson at WR or Hamilton at S.  If any of them last to #11.
sheesh i dont like any of this.  i presume fitzy is done right?  if so lets go with the cheapest vet.  see what QB presents itself but dont overpay. 

Im ok with Heinicke as 2nd or 3rd.  But we need someone who can execute the full playbook.  I really dont want watson tbh.  I just feel hes going to be out for a while.  and of course draws tons of bad publicity to an org that already has plenty of that.

the only QB i would be cool with going all in for is Russ. 

sheesh i dont like any of this.  i presume fitzy is done right?  if so lets go with the cheapest vet.  see what QB presents itself but dont overpay. 

Im ok with Heinicke as 2nd or 3rd.  But we need someone who can execute the full playbook.  I really dont want watson tbh.  I just feel hes going to be out for a while.  and of course draws tons of bad publicity to an org that already has plenty of that.

the only QB i would be cool with going all in for is Russ. 
A bit late for Russ.  That's why I wrote what I did.  I don't love it. Just what I sense coming.  I really would be OK with a vet, Howell, and Heinicke.  If Howell doesn't work out its only a wasted 2nd round pick.  Then you draft a better guy next year.  I just want them to take a shot at a 1/2 round QB every year until they get it right.  And if they need a vet in camp that's fine too.

They've had Heinicke, Haskins, Kyle Allen (on one leg), Fitz (1/2 a game), and Alex Smith (on 1 leg).  I mean it can't get much worse than that.  

ETA:  Now that Rodgers is back with Pack, I wonder what Jordan Love would cost?

A bit late for Russ.  That's why I wrote what I did.  I don't love it. Just what I sense coming.  I really would be OK with a vet, Howell, and Heinicke.  If Howell doesn't work out its only a wasted 2nd round pick.  Then you draft a better guy next year.  I just want them to take a shot at a 1/2 round QB every year until they get it right.  And if they need a vet in camp that's fine too.

They've had Heinicke, Haskins, Kyle Allen (on one leg), Fitz (1/2 a game), and Alex Smith (on 1 leg).  I mean it can't get much worse than that.  
Yea i just saw about Russ.  😢

The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports the Commanders offered the Seahawks multiple picks across the next three years for Russell Wilson.

Commanders GM Martin Mayhew has been trying to get an upgrade at quarterback in Washington for quite some time, but the swings and misses are piling up after failing to land Matthew Stafford last year and Wilson this time around. With Wilson going to Denver and Aaron Rodgers sticking in Green Bay, pickings are looking slim for a team desperate for a new signal-caller. Perhaps the Commanders will look to Jimmy Garoppolo or Carson Wentz, but those are clear and obvious downgrades from Stafford and Wilson.

RELATED: 

Russell Wilson

, Seattle Seahawks

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Mar 8, 2022, 3:01 PM ET

It could be Snyder (man he sucks) but we had nothing to give back in terms of a QB. Lock isn't a world beater, but his arm is live and he has enough mustard that he can make all the throws. Taylor Heinicke has a high school QB type arm strength. I'm sure not getting the QB back was part of the issue. 

ETA:  Now that Rodgers is back with Pack, I wonder what Jordan Love would cost?
I feel like the best options:

1 - You give ARZ the godfather offer for Murray if they don't see him as a franchise QB they want to pay. Keep Heinicke as backup. People will say ARZ won't really trade Murray, but most "plugged in" guys were saying Wilson wasn't going to be moved until a few hours ago.

2 - You trade less for either Carr or Jimmy G to stabilize the position and keep Heinicke as the backup. Neither will lead you to the playoffs but either could play well enough to keep you from missing the playoffs.

3 - You trade less to acquire either Mayfield, Wentz, or Goff. All have played well early in their NFL career and they aren't very old so if they turn around their career they could be your QB for quite awhile. All three could be acquired for less than most people think imo. Both Goff/Wentz are overpaid by a wide margin and Stefanski inherited Mayfield. 

4 - You sign Trubisky(which I posted they should have done last year), trade for Love, or trade for Darnold. Heinicky obviously stays as it's an open competition. Those guys haven't shown much in the NFL but have tools that got them drafted in the 1st.

5 - You just punt the 2022 season away and try to acquire Bridgewater or Lock and draft a guy(probably in the second round as @Brunell4MVPsuggests). Ridder would be my favorite of the group but if he isn't available I wouldn't mind settling for either Howell or Corral in the 2nd. If all three are gone there's always a chance Strong is available after the 2nd round. If you miss them all then you just hope there will be a better QB class in 2023. Bridgewater/Lock start the season with the idea that you at least get a look at the guy you draft in the 2nd round.

6 - You go into a semi-tank mode and acquire someone like Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton, or Jacob Brissett(or keep Fitz and pretend like he'll be healthy for 17 games) which will likely end up with a top-10 pick in the 2023 draft. Heinicke probably beats these guys for the starting job but any of those guys will consider themselves lucky to just compete for a starting job at this point in their career. 

7. Out of sheer desperation you swing wildly this year in the 1st round for a QB that probably wouldn't be drafted in the 1st round any other year. And you don't even trade down to do it. That would be the worst move as I see it. The upside is you are locked into a top-10 pick next year(top-5?) so you can take a QB swing with an early pick.... but you are essentially using 2 first round draft choices just to take a shot at a guy that you don't know if he can play in the NFL or not. At that point why not add another first round pick and just take a run at Murray who is only 24yo and has proven he can play in the NFL which takes us all the way back up to option #1.

With all the sexual allegations already swirling around the team I don't think you can add Watson and his legal problems to THIS particular team. Winston was available for next to nothing and the same people that are in charge now didn't seem interested so I'm not sure what has changed there. I've long thought Mariota should be given another shot but it sounds like the market around him will just be too high based on what he's proven thus far. 

It could be Snyder (man he sucks) but we had nothing to give back in terms of a QB. Lock isn't a world beater, but his arm is live and he has enough mustard that he can make all the throws. Taylor Heinicke has a high school QB type arm strength. I'm sure not getting the QB back was part of the issue. 
Kind of seemed like a bad pairing to me anyway. Trading for a 33yo Wilson kind of screams acquiring a 33yo McNabb. If WAS had a roster that was poised to make the SB maybe take that risk... but that isn't this roster.

If ever there was a year to trade down in the draft I feel like this would be the year. Lots of talent in those mid-rounds, but admittedly I say that almost every year.

Kind of seemed like a bad pairing to me anyway. Trading for a 33yo Wilson kind of screams acquiring a 33yo McNabb. If WAS had a roster that was poised to make the SB maybe take that risk... but that isn't this roster.

If ever there was a year to trade down in the draft I feel like this would be the year. Lots of talent in those mid-rounds, but admittedly I say that almost every year.
I've wanted Watson over Wilson all along because of the age McNabb flash back

Adam Schefter reporting that the commanders new quarterback is Carson Wentz. 2x 3rd round pics, and the commanders are going to eat his entire contract.

this sounds spectacularly terrible.

Hopefully whoever plays for the Colts next can help turn Michael Pittman into the stud I believe he would become when I traded for him.

Users who are viewing this thread