What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Anybody know of a good bar to have some chillys at before the game? I am going Friday night against Philly and get off work in DC at 2:30.
A heads-up: For 99% of games there's really no reason to get there for the ceremonial first pitch. Friday night falls into the 1%.
And Friday might be Oswalt's first game as a Phillie. Hope the Philly fans don't flood the place.
I think they've been organizing on the internet for a Saturday night invasion.

Anybody know of a good bar to have some chillys at before the game? I am going Friday night against Philly and get off work in DC at 2:30.
A heads-up: For 99% of games there's really no reason to get there for the ceremonial first pitch. Friday night falls into the 1%.
And Friday might be Oswalt's first game as a Phillie. Hope the Philly fans don't flood the place.
I think they've been organizing on the internet for a Saturday night invasion.
That makes sense. Saturday is definitely easier to make a drive from Philly. Hopefully it's not as bad as opening day.

Sounds like a lot of people like this trade for the Nats.Can we cut Nieves now? No, of course not:

He [Ramos] will report to Syracuse for now, but the hunch here is that Ramos comes to D.C. as a September call-up. Next season, he splits the job with Pudge, eventually taking over as the starter.
Whatever you do, Rizzo, don't give these young guys a shot!

Don Quixote said:
dgreen said:
...Just purchased tix for my first Strasburg game -- going to the Philly game next Sunday. Might be the last game I go to this year.
:goodposting: Nats definitely are doing the right thing with Strasburg -- and I guess this is why they just say "probable starter"-- but still :lmao:
Still a chance he pitches Sunday.Tonight is Olsen, tomorrow is Stammen, and Saturday is Detwiler.Marquis pitched last night in Syracuse. Started off rough (walk, infield single, hit batter, grand slam), but then did well the rest of the way. So, he could be back soon.
Reading reports that Riggleman told MLB Network Radio that Strasburg is going to be shut down for 10 days and will miss his start on Sunday. Oh well. Hopefully the group of friends that I bought tickets for are still interested in going even if "Miss Iowa" is on the mound.ETA: Strasburg officially on the DL now.
You will have the pleasure of seeing the return of John Lannan.

Sounds like a lot of people like this trade for the Nats.Can we cut Nieves now? No, of course not:

He [Ramos] will report to Syracuse for now, but the hunch here is that Ramos comes to D.C. as a September call-up. Next season, he splits the job with Pudge, eventually taking over as the starter.
From what I've read, I like it. Ramos's average is down this year, but he was pretty highly rated coming into this season. Good upside if he can get back on track.

From what I've read, I like it. Ramos's average is down this year, but he was pretty highly rated coming into this season. Good upside if he can get back on track.
It's an excellent trade for you guys. He hasn't had the best year, but it's his first time at AAA this season so the struggles aren't exactly red flags.

Well, I am off to Justin's in about 25 minutes. I will be the guy that is hammered by 5:00 trying to find my 20 year old son coming in on the metro :rolleyes:

who gets the 7 or 8 remaining saves with capps gone?
Sounds like they are going to go with the hot hand between Storen, Clippard, and Burnett. Storen is the "closer of the future," so if I had to pick just one, it would be Storen. But I think it's going to be spread out, and Storen probably just ends up with a plurality, rather than a majority, of the save opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
who gets the 7 or 8 remaining saves with capps gone?
Sounds like they are going to go with the hot hand between Storen, Clippard, and Burnett. Storen is the "closer of the future," so if I had to pick just one, it would be Storen. But I think it's going to be spread out, and Storen probably just ends up with a plurality, rather than a majority, of the save opportunities.
yeah, i could really care less about next year at this point. just wondering what value clippard might have. probably not enough to get excited about.thanks.

Dunn not traded.

I hope this means they are confident that they can sign him, and not another Soriano situation where he walks with the Nats getting only a compensatory pick (although at least Jordan Zimmermann turned out to be a hit there).

Justin's is highly recommended by this guy, great beer and very nice place to hang out before a game

Olsen and Detwiler in DC and healthy. Lannan is back and wasn't horrible...for now.

Current rotation is Livan, Olsen, Stammen, Detwiler, and Lannan. I assume that will be the rotation for the next couple weeks.

Jordan Zimmermann is off the DL and will likely make 3+ starts in Syracuse, giving him a late-August start. Maybe Strasburg will return around the same time?

Marquis doing well in rehab.

Maya is in Viera and the team thinks he could debut in September.

Wang...well, we never hear anything about him.

After much talk, I think we are actually nearing all these guys being available: Strasburg, Zimmermann, Olsen, Livan, Marquis, Detwiler, Stammen, Lannan, and Maya.

I'm looking forward to 2011.

Olsen and Detwiler in DC and healthy. Lannan is back and wasn't horrible...for now.

Current rotation is Livan, Olsen, Stammen, Detwiler, and Lannan. I assume that will be the rotation for the next couple weeks.

Jordan Zimmermann is off the DL and will likely make 3+ starts in Syracuse, giving him a late-August start. Maybe Strasburg will return around the same time?

After much talk, I think we are actually nearing all these guys being available: Strasburg, Zimmermann, Olsen, Livan, Marquis, Detwiler, Stammen, Lannan, and Maya.

:lmao: This is a team that could make some noise in 2011. I think there's a 75% chance we re-sign Dunn. If we do, we're only one more big free agent and a couple small deals away from being a player. Add a quality RF, a serviceable middle infielder and a semi-decent reliever to the mix and I'll go into the 2011 season with real expectations of playoff contention for the first time since the team arrived. It's been a long time coming.

:thumbup: This is a team that could make some noise in 2011. I think there's a 75% chance we re-sign Dunn. If we do, we're only one more big free agent and a couple small deals away from being a player. Add a quality RF, a serviceable middle infielder and a semi-decent reliever to the mix and I'll go into the 2011 season with real expectations of playoff contention for the first time since the team arrived. It's been a long time coming.
Not sure how much money they have to play with, but I'd guess a wishful thinking lineup would look something like this:Felipe Lopez 2B

Josh Willingham LF

Ryan Zimmerman 3B

Adam Dunn 1B

Jason Werth RF

Jesus Flores C (or Wilson Ramos)

Ian Desmond SS

Nyjer Morgan CF

Thats a good top half of the lineup, though plenty of question marks at the bottom.

Rizzo said Espinosa is half a year to one year away from being major league ready. So, he's a possibility at 2B at some point next season.

Pudge is under contract for one more year, so I think it's him and Ramos. Nieves doesn't belong on a MLB roster and I think the trade for Ramos says a lot about what they think of Flores' future health.

:goodposting: This is a team that could make some noise in 2011. I think there's a 75% chance we re-sign Dunn. If we do, we're only one more big free agent and a couple small deals away from being a player. Add a quality RF, a serviceable middle infielder and a semi-decent reliever to the mix and I'll go into the 2011 season with real expectations of playoff contention for the first time since the team arrived. It's been a long time coming.
Not sure how much money they have to play with, but I'd guess a wishful thinking lineup would look something like this:Felipe Lopez 2B

Josh Willingham LF

Ryan Zimmerman 3B

Adam Dunn 1B

Jason Werth RF

Ian Desmond SS

Nyjer Morgan CF

Thats a good top half of the lineup, though plenty of question marks at the bottom.
If we're thinking wishfully, let's go ahead and put Bernadina in CF. He's a better hitter and defensive player than Morgan right now and he's still improving, whereas Morgan has peaked.

Otherwise, I like this. I seriously doubt the organization wants to see Felipe Lopez again after he basically pooped on the RFK infield and left town, but even if we don't bolster the middle infield, what we've got now plus Werth is a solid team. Plus you've got Strasburg-Zimmerman-Maya to head the rotation, and a choice of Olsen/Marquis/Detwiler/Lannan to round it out or help in the bullpen. All they'll need on top of that is a reliever- most of their best pen guys are young and won't cost them much for years to come but they could use one more quality setup guy or a closer for a year. And with Capps gone and Guzman and virtually every other player making seven million dollars other than the two superstars coming off the books, they've got a ton of money to spend in 2011 and beyond. And that's even before you consider that they've been running a healthy profit for years and that the Lerners are rich even by baseball standards and promising for years to spend when the time is right.

I'm only surprised that ESPN reported something that doesn't involve Brett Favre

Someone will claim, and they'll have one last shot at getting good value for him. If not they'll yank him back and have a little more time to work out a contract, if they can. This does show that as I've started to suspect they're not real close to a contract agreement.

I'm only surprised that ESPN reported something that doesn't involve Brett FavreSomeone will claim, and they'll have one last shot at getting good value for him. If not they'll yank him back and have a little more time to work out a contract, if they can. This does show that as I've started to suspect they're not real close to a contract agreement.
Almost every MLB player gets put on waivers during August.

I'm only surprised that ESPN reported something that doesn't involve Brett FavreSomeone will claim, and they'll have one last shot at getting good value for him. If not they'll yank him back and have a little more time to work out a contract, if they can. This does show that as I've started to suspect they're not real close to a contract agreement.
True enough, but.. I guess they seem a little anxious. Like, we aren't even gonna give it a week to talk contract. Team had some momentum for a few days there, oddly since Strascrash

:thumbup: This is a team that could make some noise in 2011. I think there's a 75% chance we re-sign Dunn. If we do, we're only one more big free agent and a couple small deals away from being a player. Add a quality RF, a serviceable middle infielder and a semi-decent reliever to the mix and I'll go into the 2011 season with real expectations of playoff contention for the first time since the team arrived. It's been a long time coming.

Josh Willingham LF

Ryan Zimmerman 3B

Adam Dunn 1B

Jason Werth RF

Ian Desmond SS

Nyjer Morgan CF

If we're thinking wishfully, let's go ahead and put Bernadina in CF. He's a better hitter and defensive player than Morgan right now and he's still improving, whereas Morgan has peaked.

Otherwise, I like this. I seriously doubt the organization wants to see Felipe Lopez again after he basically pooped on the RFK infield and left town, but even if we don't bolster the middle infield, what we've got now plus Werth is a solid team. Plus you've got Strasburg-Zimmerman-Maya to head the rotation, and a choice of Olsen/Marquis/Detwiler/Lannan to round it out or help in the bullpen. All they'll need on top of that is a reliever- most of their best pen guys are young and won't cost them much for years to come but they could use one more quality setup guy or a closer for a year. And with Capps gone and Guzman and virtually every other player making seven million dollars other than the two superstars coming off the books, they've got a ton of money to spend in 2011 and beyond. And that's even before you consider that they've been running a healthy profit for years and that the Lerners are rich even by baseball standards and promising for years to spend when the time is right.
The spreadsheet shows a liability for Taveras in 2012 but not 2011? That an error? That Marquis signing is brutal, but other than that it seems like a fairly good balance sheet. Not a fan of Pudge at 3 mil, but they do have a very young staff. Would be nice if they locked up Willingham for say 3-4 years at a discount as he's likely due a big increase through arbitration. One potential issue is Lannan - he might be a non-tender candidate. His traditional stats from the first two years would likely garner a large raise, despite this year. One other thing on the finances, did Strasburg not receive his money in a large bonus?

As for Bernadina, I just took a cursory look at his defensive stats and it didnt seem like he had the defense to play center. Thats why I had Morgan there even though he's not playing well defensively this year his career stats indicate he's a capable CF.

True enough, but.. I guess they seem a little anxious. Like, we aren't even gonna give it a week to talk contract. Team had some momentum for a few days there, oddly since Strascrash
Now is the time when everyone gets submitted for waivers. Its not news that they submitted Dunn for waivers. It would have been news had they not done so.

Now is the time when everyone gets submitted for waivers. Its not news that they submitted Dunn for waivers. It would have been news had they not done so.
Thanks for the lesson. This is actually my first year out of the cave.Dunn's gone, they don't want to pay him, and it's a bad idea.

Updates from Spin Williams, Nats' pitching coordinator, on Maya:

"Oh, yeah," Williams said. "He'll be ready by the end of August.
Marquis:
"he's ready" now, Williams said.
and Zimmermann:
If his velocity stays constant from the previous start, he'll be deemed ready. If his velocity dips, the Nationals will restart the Class AAA process -- three innings, four innings, five innings, five innings.

Regardless of how Zimmermann completes the final phase, the Nationals will limit him to five innings per start in the majors for the final month or so of the season.

The spreadsheet shows a liability for Taveras in 2012 but not 2011? That an error? That Marquis signing is brutal, but other than that it seems like a fairly good balance sheet. Not a fan of Pudge at 3 mil, but they do have a very young staff. Would be nice if they locked up Willingham for say 3-4 years at a discount as he's likely due a big increase through arbitration. One potential issue is Lannan - he might be a non-tender candidate. His traditional stats from the first two years would likely garner a large raise, despite this year. One other thing on the finances, did Strasburg not receive his money in a large bonus? As for Bernadina, I just took a cursory look at his defensive stats and it didnt seem like he had the defense to play center. Thats why I had Morgan there even though he's not playing well defensively this year his career stats indicate he's a capable CF.
I have no idea what the listing for Taveras is about. Cot's is usually pretty reliable, but that looks like a mistake to me. Who knows.I don't think most of Strasburg's deal was up front, but I'm not sure.I like Bernadina in center- he's done well there this year, decent overall numbers in the OF in his career. And more importantly, he's young and improving- or at least he was until he decided to stop taking pitches the last month or two- whereas Morgan appears to be in decline. He's also not a complete idiot on the basepaths. He's only made one ridiculously stupid mistake that even a little leaguer would get yelled at for this year when he got picked off second to kill a 9th inning rally. Morgan makes a mistake like that every week. Finally, I feel like the club sometimes forgets that the difference between 0 HRs and 10 HRs is the same as the difference between 20 HRs and 30 HRs. There's not categories and lineup places for guys who are sluggers or non-sluggers, and that's the end of it. If Bernadina can hit the ball out of the park every so often and Morgan cannot, that's value added. One of them is slugging .417 this year and the other is slugging .322. That's a substantial difference.

Nyjer hip injury, Bernadina to leadoff, Morse to RF. Both have monster games, Nats win big.

I know, small sample size and all that. Still, :shrug:

Nyjer hip injury, Bernadina to leadoff, Morse to RF. Both have monster games, Nats win big.I know, small sample size and all that. Still, :lmao:
Yep, last night was probably the best lineup they have. Now, I'd still rather see Desmond playing just because he needs to play, but he certainly hasn't earned that with performance.I'm guessing we'll see Willie Harris tonight.

Rizzo said Espinosa is half a year to one year away from being major league ready. So, he's a possibility at 2B at some point next season.

Pudge is under contract for one more year, so I think it's him and Ramos. Nieves doesn't belong on a MLB roster and I think the trade for Ramos says a lot about what they think of Flores' future health.
Espinosa hit 3 HRs last night. I'm hoping they call him up in September to see how close he is to being ready.

The Nats have 44 players listed on their 40-man roster (4 guys on the 60 day DL). 28 are pitchers (3 on the 60 day DL). They only have 5 infielders. Is this somewhat normal? I would think there would be a spot there for someone like Espinosa. Like, say, instead of Juan Jaime, Atahualpa Severino, and Ryan Mattheus. If I see one of those guys pitch one inning in September, but a position player like Espinosa doesn't get a few games, I'll be pissed.

The Nats have 44 players listed on their 40-man roster (4 guys on the 60 day DL). 28 are pitchers (3 on the 60 day DL). They only have 5 infielders. Is this somewhat normal? I would think there would be a spot there for someone like Espinosa. Like, say, instead of Juan Jaime, Atahualpa Severino, and Ryan Mattheus. If I see one of those guys pitch one inning in September, but a position player like Espinosa doesn't get a few games, I'll be pissed.
Agreed. Goessling's got a post up on Espinosa now; basically saying that they should call him up and give him the same treatment they gave to Desmond last year. If he's ready, no need to pick up Kennedy's option for next year (but there is probably no need to do that anyway).

Strasburg's simulated game yesterday:

The first "inning" is complete, and Strasburg looked perfectly fine out there. Turns out only Maxwell and Harris are facing him, not Kennedy. Strasburg faced each batter twice. He "struck out" Maxwell, who swung and missed twice in his first at-bat. He then "walked" Harris and plunked Maxwell with an inside breaking ball. Harris finished out the frame by lofting a check-swing base hit to shallow right-center. He immediately shouted out, "Yeah!" and raised his left arm in triumph. He and Maxwell then did a little dance. Strasburg went back to the dugout and is taking a short between-innings break at the moment.
:goodposting: Here's a pic of Harris' celebration.Marquis starts Sunday and Strasburg Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goessling with an interesting post up on the Nats OF in 2011: link

States that the Nats have a strong interest in Carl Crawford; and more interested in him than Werth. Would be Crawford in right, with Bernadina in CF. Morgan would be 4th OF.

I like it.

States that the Nats have a strong interest in Carl Crawford; and more interested in him than Werth. Would be Crawford in right, with Bernadina in CF. Morgan would be 4th OF.

I like it.
When I was in college I had a strong interest in Kathy Ireland; was more interested in her than my girlfriend. The Nats' interest is only slightly more likely to come to fruition. But is almost as fun to fantasize about.Great stuff from Goessling. Interesting/good to hear that the Nats have had conversations with Nyjer about becoming a 4th OF.

I like it.
When I was in college I had a strong interest in Kathy Ireland; was more interested in her than my girlfriend. The Nats' interest is only slightly more likely to come to fruition. But is almost as fun to fantasize about.Great stuff from Goessling. Interesting/good to hear that the Nats have had conversations with Nyjer about becoming a 4th OF.
Yeah, there's probably less than a 20% chance that the Nats sign Crawford, but if a Nats fan can't fantasize and hold out some hope, being a Nats fan would be much less fun.And just to read that the Nats are likely to make a credible effort to get him (sort of like Tex a couple of years ago) is enough to get me excited.

Users who are viewing this thread