What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offseason - Free Agency/Trade Rumor Thread (1 Viewer)

I've updated the first post in this thread with all the latest. I will continue to add links to the original sources.
Sammy, I just want to say how much I appreciate your work. To have all that is going on consolidated the way you have it is very helpful. Thanks!

Franchise $ announced:

Franchise Tag for Rudi: $6.323 Million --Fri Feb 4, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com#The Cincinnati Enquirer reports if RB Rudi Johnson were to accept a one-year franchise tag salary, he would make $6.323 million in 2005. The NFL Players Association released the franchise and transition tag numbers Thursday at its annual Super Bowl news conference. Peter Schaffer, Johnson's agent, had no comment when contacted about the figure. "There's nothing to report," Schaffer said. Two weeks ago, Schaffer said Johnson had told him - and he had relayed Johnson's position to Bengals management - that Johnson intended to sit out the season if the club used its franchise tag on him. The franchise tag is a designation available to a team for use on an unrestricted free agent, and it can severely limit the player's mobility. It is a one-year tender that requires the team to pay the player the average of the top five salaries at that position. In the case of running backs, the average of the top five salaries is $6.323 million. If another team were to sign Johnson as the Bengals' franchise player, it would owe the Bengals two first-round picks as compensation.
I'll assume the same $ holds for Alexander.

Don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure Garrard is a FA. Not sure if he's RFA or UFA.

On 2/8, The Baltimore Sun reports Ozzie Newsome saying "I have not talked to the Minnesota Vikings about Randy Moss,"

The cynic will point out the following:

1) He doesn't say he won't talk to them in the near future.

2) Someone else in the organization could have talked to them.

3) He could be talking to Glen Taylor, who is not part of the Vikings...yet.

4) He could be lying.

Link to Story

However, an interesting comment in the article is this:

"According to a source close to the Ravens, Newsome is unlikely to part with any first-round pick."

Last edited by a moderator:
Houmanzadeh news from family matters thread:-- Steelers Eyeing Houshmandzadeh --Sun Feb 13, 2005 --from FFMastermind.comThe New York Post reports the Pittsburgh Steelers already have a replacement in mind for free-agent WR Plaxico Burress, whom they do not plan to re-sign — WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals). Pittsburgh believes the H-Man can be just as good a downfield threat as Burress, and will certainly come cheaper. His dependable hands and selfless attitude make him a perfect fit for the Steelers' offense.And Kevin Johnson from FM:-- Kevin Johnson to Opt Out & Become Free Agent --Sun Feb 13, 2005 --from FFMastermind.comThe Trenton Times reports the Baltimore Ravens will need a wide receiver to replace WR Kevin Johnson. He plans to opt out of his contract and give up a $1 million bonus he's due. Johnson wants a chance to test the market and play for a winning team with an experienced quarterback. "I've never had my choice," Johnson, who was drafted by Cleveland, claimed on waivers by Jacksonville and traded to Baltimore, said. "Let me go on the record and say I would love to play for the Eagles. I think I'd be perfect with Donovan, T.O. and (Brian) Westbrook. But I just want to play on a good team." That rules out the Giants, who supposedly have interest in him. Tampa Bay is a possibility, but don't be surprised if he goes to Houston and reunites with OC Chris Palmer, who drafted him out of Syracuse in 1999.This thread is too good to let die.

Any A-Train rumors? Seems like he'd be a nice fit for a power-running team in need of a HB...
As has been discussed in other threads, I'm also surprised that A-Train's name isn't being brought up more. It's probably a by-product of it being a bad year to be a free agent RB, and perhaps him being more one-dimensional than other other more-discussed names. But, to be fair, he certainly has proven himself a lot more than Jordan has.

Some team is going to get themselves a bargain with A.Train
I agree. I've said it before, but I think he'd be a superb fit in Carolina's power running philosophy. Either as the guy who carries the load, or serves as the thunder to Foster's lightning.

Excellent job of coordinating this thread Sammy :thumbup:

Here is a little more speculation on the Harrington situation...

Mike O'Hara article, Detroit News

Lions are on hunt for QBs

Harrington is only player at that position who will be under contract after March 2.

Mariucci has a small pot of quarterback stew bubbling in the hot stove league from his comments Friday about his quarterbacks, and how the Lions plan to approach the position in free agency and the draft.

Joey Harrington, the starter, is the only quarterback under contract. Mike McMahon and Rick Mirer will become free agents on March 2.

"We haven't made any sort of decision yet on what's going to comprise our pitching staff," Mariucci said. "That's what I'm going to call it, our pitching staff.

"Did I open a can of worms?"

It's a small can of worms. Mariucci suggested that if the right free-agent quarterback is available -- and the price is right -- he would not be averse to bringing in someone to compete with Harrington.

"If we have somebody that we can sign that's good enough to compete, terrific," Mariucci said. "And if we end up with two good quarterbacks, and two kind of high-priced guys, that third guy's probably going to be a rookie."

That means an open competition for Harrington in training camp?

"Sure, depending on who you would get -- who's out there that's going to compete with him," Mariucci said. "If there's a guy that's good enough to compete with Joey or beat out Joey or be his backup, that will sort out."

An interesting twist at the end of the article....

One player to watch: Bengals backup Jon Kitna. He's happy in Cincinnati, has a great relationship with starter Carson Palmer and has a year left on his contract. The word during Super Bowl week in Jacksonville, Fla., was that Kitna is not likely to depart Cincinnati unless he has a rock-solid promise that he can compete for the starting job. If the Lions work a deal with the Bengals, then the fight is on between Harrington and Kitna for the starting job.

RW

Any idea why this thread was unpinned? I thought it was useful enough to warrant it.I've been updating it every couple of days.

I agree. I've said it before, but I think he'd be a superb fit in Carolina's power running philosophy. Either as the guy who carries the load, or serves as the thunder to Foster's lightning.
I can see the A Train in Pittsburgh if Bettis retires. That would be a good fit. Pitt also needs to draft a rb.

Any idea why this thread was unpinned? I thought it was useful enough to warrant it.I've been updating it every couple of days.
Perhaps because it's gotten over 4000 views?Seriously, I don't know why it is unpinned -- it's the most useful thing on the web right now. Great job Sammy!

Perhaps because it's gotten over 4000 views?Seriously, I don't know why it is unpinned -- it's the most useful thing on the web right now. Great job Sammy!
ditto :thumbup:

A little more to add to the Brees situation. Sounds like SD is about to tag him? LINK

I found this interesting as well....

Teammate LaDainian Tomlinson, making his second Pro Bowl appearance, also wants Brees to stay, but the star running back said he has no control over the situation. Tomlinson and Brees are close friends, and they planned to spend much of their free time in Hawaii together with their families.

“He’s a leader. That sums it up in one word,” Tomlinson said. “He’s a good friend and a good teammate.”

RW

Thanks Sammy for starting this and thanks to all for contributing. Classic Shark Pool thread here. Great job.I'll pin to keep it at the top.J

Does anybody else think that if the Colts don't sign edge or trade him, that Derrick Blaylock would be a good fit in Indy. It seems he would fit well running the stretch play and he would become more of a factor in the passing game like Edge was before his injury.

KFFL Breaking News Bills To Release BledsoeJay Glazer reports on FOXSports.com that the Buffalo Bills have indeed decided to release QB Drew Bledsoe. They are expected to announce the decision, possibly through a press conference, Wednesday, Feb. 16. Due to league rules, the Bills cannot officially release Bledsoe until Feb. 22, but he has already been informed of the decision. The Bills plan to go with second-year QB J.P. Losman as their No. 1 quarterback in 2005.

Garcia to Tampa?

Last year, Garcia's interest in Tampa Bay prompted the three-time Pro Bowler to pay his own way to Tampa for a meeting with Coach Jon Gruden. Though enamored and intrigued by Gruden's offense, Garcia opted to sign a 4-year, $25 million deal with the Browns in March.

Link

Big news that everyone has heard:

Rudi franchised

Saints to franchise DE Darren Howard

LINK

The Saints expected to file paperwork with the NFL and the players' union by Wednesday to designate defensive end Darren Howard as a franchise free agent, General Manager Mickey Loomis said. The move would require the Saints to pay Howard a $7.8 million base salary in 2005 -- a 20 percent increase from the $6.5 million salary he received as a franchise free agent in 2004. The club has until Feb. 22 to make an official designation.

KFFL Breaking News Bills To Release BledsoeJay Glazer reports on FOXSports.com that the Buffalo Bills have indeed decided to release QB Drew Bledsoe. They are expected to announce the decision, possibly through a press conference, Wednesday, Feb. 16. Due to league rules, the Bills cannot officially release Bledsoe until Feb. 22, but he has already been informed of the decision. The Bills plan to go with second-year QB J.P. Losman as their No. 1 quarterback in 2005.
Bledsoe to Cleveland?1 or 2 year fill-in while the 3rd pick of the draft (Rodgers/Smith) gets up to speed.

Saints to franchise DE Darren HowardLINKThe Saints expected to file paperwork with the NFL and the players' union by Wednesday to designate defensive end Darren Howard as a franchise free agent, General Manager Mickey Loomis said. The move would require the Saints to pay Howard a $7.8 million base salary in 2005 -- a 20 percent increase from the $6.5 million salary he received as a franchise free agent in 2004. The club has until Feb. 22 to make an official designation.
With Grant and Will Smith, is this a tag and trade?Or do they need 3 DEs?
Bledsoe to Cleveland?1 or 2 year fill-in while the 3rd pick of the draft (Rodgers/Smith) gets up to speed.
There's a lot of teams that can use him, including his old coach Parcells. I don't know where he'll go, but I'm pretty sure he starts the first few games for someone.

OT Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL. LINK

It looks like Hasselbeck is staying put, as they can use the tag on him if necessary. He will likely work out a deal, which would allow the Seahawks to tag SA. All without a president of football operations. :thumbup:

OT Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL. LINK

It looks like Hasselbeck is staying put, as they can use the tag on him if necessary. He will likely work out a deal, which would allow the Seahawks to tag SA. All without a president of football operations. :thumbup:
This has big-time ramifications for the Seahawks!Good for them!

I know this has been posted, I didn't see it included in this thread?

Jets slap franchise tag on Abraham

The New York Jets have apparently slapped the franchise tag on defensive end John Abraham. The Newark Star Ledger reported on Tuesday that the team officially notified the representatives for the Pro Bowl defensive end of the move in a letter on Monday. The Jets, though, have yet to make a formal announcement. "It wasn't a surprise," agent Rich Rosa, who represents Abraham along with Tony Agnone, told the paper. "John knew it was coming. At this point, we're going to move in the direction John wants us to and that's working toward a long-term agreement."

In other news from the Jets...

LB Sam Cowart has reportedly asked the team to trade or release him.

Cowart, who lost his starting job to rookie Jonathan Vilma after suffering a sprained left knee in Week 2, finished his seventh NFL season last year and told the Jets that he wants to go to a team that will give him an opportunity to start. A former Pro Bowl player with the Buffalo Bills, Cowart has three years left on his salary and is due a $500,000 roster bonus next month. He is due to make $1.5 million next season and would count $2.9 million against the cap.

LINK

Does anybody else think that if the Colts don't sign edge or trade him, that Derrick Blaylock would be a good fit in Indy. It seems he would fit well running the stretch play and he would become more of a factor in the passing game like Edge was before his injury.
No. I'd take my chances w/Rhodes over him easily.And while I never would've thought it last year, it sounds increasingly like they might somehow sign him after all, although they must focus on re-signing their OL FAs.

I'd never thought of this - but I agree! That would be an AWESOME fit!

Dolphins' DE Jay Williams on way out

The agent for Williams said he has requested the team release Williams on Tuesday after declining a request by the team to restructure Williams' contract.

''We'll see what happens,'' agent Ron Del Duca said. ``[Williams] would stay if we could get creative, but I feel he is not part of [new coach Nick Saban's] plans.''

Williams was due a roster bonus of $400,000 in March and a base salary of $900,000 for the 2005 season. The Dolphins will save $1.3 million if they release him.

LINK

Ohhh, I hope he can find his way to carolina. I have A-Train on my dynasty squad :)

Rumor of Henry headed to Cardinals:

Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton met with Bills coaches and officials Thursday in Buffalo, a visit that could lead to a trade for running back Travis Henry.

Shelton's trip included a physical, but trade talks are preliminary and other teams are interested in Shelton.

Henry for Shelton

Titans reported Cap cutting to include Mason, Nedney, Holcolmbe. Eddie Berlin not tendered a contract so he's a free agent too.

Titans to Create Cap Space

Hasselbeck first in line for franchise tag

Shaun Alexander owns the superior statistics, but Matt Hasselbeck will own the Seattle Seahawks’ franchise-player label if both players remain unsigned Tuesday.

The Seahawks have informed Hasselbeck of their decision to limit his free agent options if the sides fail to reach a long-term agreement by the looming franchise-player deadline.

Saints to franchise DE Darren HowardLINKThe Saints expected to file paperwork with the NFL and the players' union by Wednesday to designate defensive end Darren Howard as a franchise free agent, General Manager Mickey Loomis said. The move would require the Saints to pay Howard a $7.8 million base salary in 2005 -- a 20 percent increase from the $6.5 million salary he received as a franchise free agent in 2004. The club has until Feb. 22 to make an official designation.
With Grant and Will Smith, is this a tag and trade?Or do they need 3 DEs?.
I think this might be a win-win for the Saints actually. A rare smart move from the front office and Haslet. Howard obviously is a model citizen, productive DE and entering his prime. He would be an asset to any team that really felt they needed to get a very effective DE. So, he's not being locked up and is not prohibitively expensive either at $7+ million for a lot of teams.The Saints, if he doesn't get moved, still have Howard. They made the trio of Smith, Grant and Howard work just fine. 28 sacks last year between the 3 of them. They were one fo the few bright spots on the defensive side for the Saints...

Not too important, but....Franks Tagged as Transition PlayerThe Green Bay Packers have announced they will designate TE Bubba Franks as the team's "transition" player, allowing the team to maintain a right of first refusal to match any offer sheet Franks receives from another team. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent March 2. The Packers plan to negotiate a long-term deal with Franks.

Jerome Bettis - 1/24: Bettis says he "probably" couldn't say either way(whether he would be back with the Steelers in 05). He hinted that salary and playing time considerations could play into his decision. 2/2: In a Pittsburgh Tribune Review Article Bettis "said he still hasn't decided if he will return for his 13th season, but he said that, if he does come back, he would be content to remain a backup to Duce Staley. Bettis, who will turn 33 on Feb. 16, said he wants to be sure that he is physically ready to return before he commits to another season." 2/13: Jaymes Song, of the Associated Press, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jerome Bettis put his chances of returning to the Steelers at "50-50" following the Pro Bowl Sunday, Feb. 13. Bettis said the Pro Bowl was a special game for him, as he probably won't be back there again. He plans to spend a few weeks at home relaxing and spending time with his family before making a decision on whether or not he wants to return for his 13th season in the NFL. 2/22: Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jerome Bettis may be leaning towards playing another season instead of retiring; that is, of course, provided he can work out a new deal with the Steelers. Pittsburgh has exchanged contract proposals with Bettis' agent, Lamont Smith. If the two sides can work out a new deal, Bettis is expected to play again in 2005.
Bettis re-structures today, and signs a one year, $1.5M contract. is my copology is correct, this frees up just under $2M in Steelers cap room.

One other possible for the list is Joe Horn. Signed a 3 year contract extension in 2003 but he's due a big bonus this year from N.O. and I'm not sure they're going to be able to handle that. He could stay but most of the things I read about him thought that 2004 was his final season with N.O.

heard on the might 690am today that Lamont Jordan has signed with the raiders. they made 2 huge upgrades to their offense. Im wondering how well collins and moss will click together.

I'll add Jamie Sharper in to the mix as a player who may be moved this off-season. No real rumor, but the Texans have granted him permission to seek a trade. I talked a little bit about his contract situation here.

According to a televised report on KRIV-TV, both Sharper and Foreman were notified that they would each be allowed to seek a trade and a new contract with another team if they could not reach modified deals with the Texans.Sharper, 30, is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.75 million and has a $6.125 million charge on the 2005 cap. If traded, the Texans would still reflect the remaining signing bonus amount of $1.375 million on the cap this year.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com

One other possible for the list is Joe Horn. Signed a 3 year contract extension in 2003 but he's due a big bonus this year from N.O. and I'm not sure they're going to be able to handle that. He could stay but most of the things I read about him thought that 2004 was his final season with N.O.
i would be surprised if they let him go. fact is the WR corps lacks any proven guys outside of joe. he's become a sort of de facto leader and face for the team. he had great year, despite being injured, and has few "good" years left. although, if you ask joe, he'd tell you he's got 10 years left in the league. until someone else - stallworth, henderson or whoever - steps up and shows consistency and has a break out year, he's indispensible to this offense.

A couple of Vikings rumors:Personally heard: Vikings and Jermaine Wiggins are close to a contract agreement.Secondary rumor: Vikings have reached an agreement with Fred Smoot. 5 years for up to $35 million in incentives.

A couple of Vikings rumors:

Personally heard: Vikings and Jermaine Wiggins are close to a contract agreement.

Secondary rumor: Vikings have reached an agreement with Fred Smoot. 5 years for up to $35 million in incentives.
Good calls! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread