What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis in the Suburbs (3 Viewers)

Otis in the Suburbs

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Right-O

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • You betcha

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
Let's get this fired up. I'll be landing in this alien world in under two months. What do I need to know here?

Some topics I'd like to get through in the coming months:

- BBQ -- need a hot-shot grill. What do I get? (Also -- have no idea how to BBQ, but I'll count on my GBs for that)

- I need a patio set. Where/what to get?

- Do we stop by the neighbors to introduce ourselves? Bring a pie? Bottle of wine?

- I need to redo the patio. It looks like crap. So do the concrete front steps. Stone or brick? Can I do myself?

- Lawnmowers. Whatcha got?

- This pachysandra looks like crap. Pull it out and plant grass? (Beer party at Oat's place for helpers)

Etc.

I honestly had no idea Otis was married until the recent ham thread. And a baby too?

I missed a lot.

Get good at cooking because your days of going out to eat are over. Oh sure, you could get a babysitter, but you're usually down at least $50 before you step out the door. The good news is that drinking at 11AM on a Saturday won't seem strange.

I honestly had no idea Otis was married until the recent ham thread. And a baby too?I missed a lot.
It's been over 10 years for some of us...I wonder sometimes if we will be here in another 10 years and the talk will be about our kids going to college, our retirement plans, how great things were in the 80s...it just is comical sometimes.

Get a good lawnmower, self-propelled (assuming you don't need a riding). I have a Honda. Great engine. Don't go cheap.

Doing the patio yourself is possible, but you need to have the proper soil, sand, rock etc. beneath it, pitch it for water, but not too much that it feels slopey, have a good level, lots of patience... hell, with your coin, just pay a pro.

PLEASE invite the neighbors to a party. PLEASE get at least one of them to express their true crazy (alcohol will help). Suburban folks have learned how to play the suburban game, meaning making everything look good and normal. But there are closet racists, tea partiers, commies, whatever you find the most crazy. Find out which one it is, and avoid. Post results here.

How much time have you budgeted to do yard work per week? Double that. You will still be short. Then you will hire a service.

Get a good lawnmower, self-propelled (assuming you don't need a riding). I have a Honda. Great engine. Don't go cheap.Doing the patio yourself is possible, but you need to have the proper soil, sand, rock etc. beneath it, pitch it for water, but not too much that it feels slopey, have a good level, lots of patience... hell, with your coin, just pay a pro.PLEASE invite the neighbors to a party. PLEASE get at least one of them to express their true crazy (alcohol will help). Suburban folks have learned how to play the suburban game, meaning making everything look good and normal. But there are closet racists, tea partiers, commies, whatever you find the most crazy. Find out which one it is, and avoid. Post results here.How much time have you budgeted to do yard work per week? Double that. You will still be short. Then you will hire a service.
WOAH. Slow down. We need to do this piecemeal.

Slopey backyard. What the hell do I do with this giant hill? I can either dig down one half or build up the other. Or get one of those professional landscape architect guys in. THIS IS AN ADVANCED TOPIC, RESERVED FOR SUMMER 2011.

Wow - who would have thought Otis moving out of the city into the burbs. Craziness.

Lawnmower - I have a Deere. Can't go wrong there. Either way get one that has a good engine as someone else mentioned. No idea how big the yard is going to be.

You could certainly do the steps yourself but why. Pay a pro and get it done right.

Grill - I have a Weber and love it. Lots of people here will tell you to go Big Green Egg or something great like that but you don't even know how to grill yet. Get something decent, perfect your method and then invest in something really good.

Grass - I pay a service to do the aerating, seeding etc. I just mow and keep it watered. No good advice for you there. Talk to some lawn guys and find out what is good for your area.

Best of luck man. Times they are a changing. I remember the crazy drunk otis chasing stewardess tail. Good luck with the baby stuff as well. I assume you will be decorating a nursery in the new burbs crib?

Get a good lawnmower, self-propelled (assuming you don't need a riding). I have a Honda. Great engine. Don't go cheap.Doing the patio yourself is possible, but you need to have the proper soil, sand, rock etc. beneath it, pitch it for water, but not too much that it feels slopey, have a good level, lots of patience... hell, with your coin, just pay a pro.PLEASE invite the neighbors to a party. PLEASE get at least one of them to express their true crazy (alcohol will help). Suburban folks have learned how to play the suburban game, meaning making everything look good and normal. But there are closet racists, tea partiers, commies, whatever you find the most crazy. Find out which one it is, and avoid. Post results here.How much time have you budgeted to do yard work per week? Double that. You will still be short. Then you will hire a service.
WOAH. Slow down. We need to do this piecemeal.
You the one that shot the question load in the OP. I didn't even respond to them all.

Slopey backyard. What the hell do I do with this giant hill? I can either dig down one half or build up the other. Or get one of those professional landscape architect guys in. THIS IS AN ADVANCED TOPIC, RESERVED FOR SUMMER 2011.
How big is the slope? Retaining wall would be a good start probably.

If you're as lazy as I am I'd look into hiring a mowing service. I'm sure it's a lot cheaper here in the Houston area, but for them to mow, edge and clean up costs $25 for my "average-sized" lawn. That same job would take me at least an hour and a half and six-pack.

As for the grill, get yourself a gas grill. A lot of people will probably scream bloody murder over this, but it's ready to go in five minutes and there are no ashes to dump out.

We got our patio furniture at a store that specializes in that stuff. Wanted some solid teak and most of the #### at Home Depot and Lowes is lightweight aluminum and plastic.

For the patio itself, don't you know a good handyman? I'm sure he can do the job... just be sure to post pics.

You people are all clowns. Along with Otis. His questions are beyond ridiculous.
I've got this one guys. AE, In warmer climates, plants can grow outside during the year. Most people grow a blade shaped plant on the area around their house called "grass", and use a machine called a "lawnmower" to clip it back. Sometimes they even spend time on their "lawn" or even set aside an outdoor area called a "patio", with furniture that allows people to spend outside. "Summer" is a season, much like yours, except that the sun actually sets at night and then comes back up in the morning.

You people are all clowns. Along with Otis. His questions are beyond ridiculous.
I've got this one guys. AE, In warmer climates, plants can grow outside during the year. Most people grow a blade shaped plant on the area around their house called "grass", and use a machine called a "lawnmower" to clip it back. Sometimes they even spend time on their "lawn" or even set aside an outdoor area called a "patio", with furniture that allows people to spend outside. "Summer" is a season, much like yours, except that the sun actually sets at night and then comes back up in the morning.
You are so ignorant it's pathetic. It's 7:30pm right now and still sunny. Summers in Fairbanks get into the 90s. But you go ahead and stroke Otis some more and recommend a patio chair to the sad city slicker. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the importance of getting the neighbors drunk. We have group get-together the first Friday of every months in the neighborhood. Usually lasts until the wee hours of the morning and you end up learning all the dirt on everyone in the neighborhood. And if there isn't dirt, someone will make up a story.

I've also noticed that people seem to understand drinking in the morning more now that I'm a parent. I think it's because if I have a beer at 10:30 in the morning now, I've already been up and active for four hours. There were times in the past when it was 5 or 6 p.m. before I'd been awake for four hours.

I have a charcoal and gas grill, but the gas one gets used the most often. It's the easiest, and the wife doesn't care for charcoal flavor.

Patio work sucks ###. We did 300 sq ft or so of pavers on the back patio a few years ago and it was backbreaking work and now the whole thing looks like ####. I'd pay somebody.

I don't mind the mowing/weedeating/edging. It's easy with a self-propelled lawnmower and gives you an excuse to get out of the house.

:lmao:

I honestly had no idea Otis was married until the recent ham thread. And a baby too?I missed a lot.
It's been over 10 years for some of us...I wonder sometimes if we will be here in another 10 years and the talk will be about our kids going to college, our retirement plans, how great things were in the 80s...it just is comical sometimes.
was just thinking about the same thing this week, almost 10 years since I hit old yeller. all you pricks were a lot cooler back then. :thumbup:

Property is 0.37 acres or so. The hicks here shouldn't get too carried away with the ride-on stuff. Also the sellers mentioned they have a service, pretty cheap, whereby a bunch of illegals come by and cut the grass cheap each weekend. I may roll that way. I always wanted to have a lawn to mow, like when I was a kid, but I figure I can find other chores.

You are so ignorant it's pathetic. It's 7:30pm right now and still sunny. Summers in Fairbanks get into the 90s. But you go ahead and stroke Otis some more and recommend a patio chair to the sad city slicker. :thumbup:
http://wikipedia.org/summer+in+fairbanks"Yes, Summers in Fairbanks (also known as August 14th) are beautiful, but homeowners beware: they can melt the attic clear off your igloo."

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2410014&navAction=push

Nice starter product. You can experiment with gas and charcoal until you find what you like best. Eventually you may gravitate to something else, but this is a good learning tool and a nice back up.

BTW Sam's Club is worth it. You will save boatloads on diapers. The stuff they have is not top of the line by any means, but the price cannot be beat. Very reaonable for patio sets, gazebos, playsets, and what not.

- BBQ -- need a hot-shot grill. What do I get? (Also -- have no idea how to BBQ, but I'll count on my GBs for that)
I love to grill and if I had my druthers, I'd get a Big Green Egg (kind of pricey though). There may be a thread devoted to this fine product in the FFA. If you want a gas grill, the Weber Genesis Silver line is good a reasonably priced.

This sounds truly awful.Why exactly do folks live in the suburbs?
For me it was having 2 kids and not wanting to deal with the absolute horror story #### show that educating them in the city would be. Plus there are a number of suburbs in the bay area that are quite nice, liveable, not cookie cutter, close to outdoor open spaces, have some modicum of nightlife, etc..

This sounds truly awful.

Why exactly do folks live in the suburbs?
For me it was having 2 kids and not wanting to deal with the absolute horror story #### show that educating them in the city would be. Plus there are a number of suburbs in the bay area that are quite nice, liveable, not cookie cutter, close to outdoor open spaces, have some modicum of nightlife, etc..
Such as? Don't get me wrong, I live in Oakland and not SF, so that's already a "suburb" even though Oakland has more population than the city.

As someone who's lived in a fairly nice suburb for over 15 years and previously in a NY metro area 'burb on Long Island for eight, here are my insights:

Let's get this fired up. I'll be landing in this alien world in under two months. What do I need to know here?

- BBQ -- need a hot-shot grill. What do I get? (Also -- have no idea how to BBQ, but I'll count on my GBs for that) - Big Green Egg. I'm a dyed in the wool Weber fan but these things rock. Guys in the suburbs can spot an inferior Wal-Mart Special grill at 30 paces and your grilling skills will be immediately called into question. BGE = instant cred. If you go gas, go Weber.

- I need a patio set. Where/what to get? Telescope Patio Furniture - built in Granville NY, lasts forever, and the fabrics can be switched out on most models. This will be important in two years when either you or the wife decide that moss green is out and a floral pattern is in. Also, it's the most comfortable patio furniture out there. Nothing sucks worse than having to sit in an uncomfortable cheap-### about-to-collapse chair when you're chilling. Especially one that has that sharp metal burr right there by the support that'll reef your khakis.

- Do we stop by the neighbors to introduce ourselves? Bring a pie? Bottle of wine? Yes, although it's likely the neighbors will greet you first, especially if you have a good BBQ. Go with small loaves of home baked banana bread, ideally tied with a festive ribbon. It's apparently a requirement in my neighborhood. Bring local wine/beer to a dinner party - it will show that you're putting down roots whether you are or not.

- I need to redo the patio. It looks like crap. So do the concrete front steps. Stone or brick? Can I do myself? Depends on the house - slate or pavers are both good depending on what the house style is. Standard suburban McMansions or Mini-Mcmansions? Pavers. 1970s house? Slate. You can do it yourself - the local home center may have a designer and prepping the base is everything - but why bust your hump? I recommend the guy who worked on your apartment. Leave out a gaming system for old time's sake, he'll appreciate it and is likely ready for an upgrade by now anyway. :thumbup:

- Lawnmowers. Whatcha got? - How big is your lawn? Honda movers last forever. Bigger the lawn, bigger the mower. Anything under a half acre, get a self propelled push mower. Nothing says tool more than a guy riding a 22 HP 42" cut lawn tractor around his 30x40 foot lawn.

- This pachysandra looks like crap. Pull it out and plant grass? (Beer party at Oat's place for helpers) - Keep it as you don't have to mow it. If its in the sun. plant some shade. It takes a couple of years to take off.

Etc.
- Get a feel for the neighborhood before firing up the gas powered weed whacker at 8 AM on a Sunday.- If you see a neighbor working on a project, offer to help. They may or may not take (or want) the help, but it's good form to offer.

- Develop one party recipe (wings, guacamole, whatever) and master it so that you can make it without thinking. Necessary for impromptu "We're grilling out, come on over! Oh, thanks, you don't have to, but if you want to bring something, bring _________" weekend parties.

- Note what your neighbors drink. Figure out the locally brewed beer (e.g. Blue Point on Long Island) and keep it on hand.

- Stogies at a deck party must be reserved for after the dinner is finished and the scotch comes out unless otherwise directed by the party thrower. Nothing will get you uninvited to a party faster than sparking up a Garcia y Vega while people are still on their after dinner coffee.

- Get to know the local pork store and buy your sausage there. word gets around if you rely on cheapass Pathmark sausages.

- Ask around about the best pizza place. People will expect the good stuff when pizza is present.

- Find the guy who "has a guy." Every neighborhood has one. Something needs to be done, go talk to that neighbor. If he says "I got a guy..." you're good to go. :thumbup:

- Heinz. Cheap ketchup = cheap homeowner. Even if you don't touch the ####, have Heinz ketchup on hand.

- Clean your damn half bath toilet daily. Someone stops by and needs to use the can, they'll look. Don't be like my bud who built a 4400 square foot hose, moved in two months ago, and has a powder room toilet that looks like Vesuvius just finished erupting in there.

As someone who's lived in a fairly nice suburb for over 15 years and previously in a NY metro area 'burb on Long Island for eight, here are my insights:

- BBQ -- need a hot-shot grill. What do I get? (Also -- have no idea how to BBQ, but I'll count on my GBs for that) - Big Green Egg. I'm a dyed in the wool Weber fan but these things rock. Guys in the suburbs can spot an inferior Wal-Mart Special grill at 30 paces and your grilling skills will be immediately called into question. BGE = instant cred. If you go gas, go Weber.

- I need a patio set. Where/what to get? Telescope Patio Furniture - built in Granville NY, lasts forever, and the fabrics can be switched out on most models. This will be important in two years when either you or the wife decide that moss green is out and a floral pattern is in. Also, it's the most comfortable patio furniture out there. Nothing sucks worse than having to sit in an uncomfortable cheap-### about-to-collapse chair when you're chilling. Especially one that has that sharp metal burr right there by the support that'll reef your khakis.

- Do we stop by the neighbors to introduce ourselves? Bring a pie? Bottle of wine? Yes, although it's likely the neighbors will greet you first, especially if you have a good BBQ. Go with small loaves of home baked banana bread, ideally tied with a festive ribbon. It's apparently a requirement in my neighborhood. Bring local wine/beer to a dinner party - it will show that you're putting down roots whether you are or not.

- I need to redo the patio. It looks like crap. So do the concrete front steps. Stone or brick? Can I do myself? Depends on the house - slate or pavers are both good depending on what the house style is. Standard suburban McMansions or Mini-Mcmansions? Pavers. 1970s house? Slate. You can do it yourself - the local home center may have a designer and prepping the base is everything - but why bust your hump? I recommend the guy who worked on your apartment. Leave out a gaming system for old time's sake, he'll appreciate it and is likely ready for an upgrade by now anyway. :thumbup:

- Lawnmowers. Whatcha got? - How big is your lawn? Honda movers last forever. Bigger the lawn, bigger the mower. Anything under a half acre, get a self propelled push mower. Nothing says tool more than a guy riding a 22 HP 42" cut lawn tractor around his 30x40 foot lawn.

- This pachysandra looks like crap. Pull it out and plant grass? (Beer party at Oat's place for helpers) - Keep it as you don't have to mow it. If its in the sun. plant some shade. It takes a couple of years to take off.

Etc.
- Get a feel for the neighborhood before firing up the gas powered weed whacker at 8 AM on a Sunday.- If you see a neighbor working on a project, offer to help. They may or may not take (or want) the help, but it's good form to offer.

- Develop one party recipe (wings, guacamole, whatever) and master it so that you can make it without thinking. Necessary for impromptu "We're grilling out, come on over! Oh, thanks, you don't have to, but if you want to bring something, bring _________" weekend parties.

- Note what your neighbors drink. Figure out the locally brewed beer (e.g. Blue Point on Long Island) and keep it on hand.

- Stogies at a deck party must be reserved for after the dinner is finished and the scotch comes out unless otherwise directed by the party thrower. Nothing will get you uninvited to a party faster than sparking up a Garcia y Vega while people are still on their after dinner coffee.

- Get to know the local pork store and buy your sausage there. word gets around if you rely on cheapass Pathmark sausages.

- Ask around about the best pizza place. People will expect the good stuff when pizza is present.

- Find the guy who "has a guy." Every neighborhood has one. Something needs to be done, go talk to that neighbor. If he says "I got a guy..." you're good to go. :thumbup:

- Heinz. Cheap ketchup = cheap homeowner. Even if you don't touch the ####, have Heinz ketchup on hand.

- Clean your damn half bath toilet daily. Someone stops by and needs to use the can, they'll look. Don't be like my bud who built a 4400 square foot hose, moved in two months ago, and has a powder room toilet that looks like Vesuvius just finished erupting in there.
Piggybacking onto the semi-serious replies here...Learn to go with the flow. There's almost nothing worse than living near people you cannot stand / having hostilities with neighbors. You may live near each other for years... even decades. So don't sweat the small stuff, and accept that we all do things that likely annoy someone else. In a neighborhood, you will constantly see/hear/smell (yea, smell) the people right around you. One guy doesn't clean up his leaves, and they blow on your lawn. The other guy gets out the blower daily, even in the spring. Another guy only cleans up the dog poop once a week, which can get pretty noticable certain July days. Someone else has a kid with the new speakers in his car who just has to let everyone know. Someone else has the smokiest grill ever. Etc etc.

Go with the flow, and try to get along w/ everyone, at least on a head-nod basis.

This sounds truly awful.

Why exactly do folks live in the suburbs?
Such as? Don't get me wrong, I live in Oakland and not SF, so that's already a "suburb" even though Oakland has more population than the city.
I'm in San Rafael after 11 years in SF, and I love it. I can walk out my door and be here in 10 minutes by foot. A good deal of Marin Co. is very nice and has the attributes I mentioned above. The west side of the 280 corridor is super liveable with great access to open spaces (woodside, portola valley, cupertino, los gatos -- though I think the further south you go, or the closer to san jose, there is a little "cookie cutter" aspect that comes into play). Berkeley and Oakland Hills, while not exactly "suburbs," share some of these attributes. Coastal communities like HMB, El Granada, Montara, etc.. are all pretty chill and right on the water. Granted, restaurants and nightlife are not exactly the same as living in SF or Oakland, but it still exists. And you're close enough to be able to cruise into the city for a nice dinner or to see a show or something.I guess my point is that "suburbs" doesn't have to mean you're living in some Levittown-like scenario, with sprawl, manicured lawns, and "sameness" everywhere you look. Though I think there are bay area suburbs that fit this bill as well (Foster City, I'm looking at you!)

This sounds truly awful.Why exactly do folks live in the suburbs?
:goodposting:
:mellow:
We grew some kids. :shrug:
People in the city have kids too
Public school lottery system and not being able to afford private school forced me out. It's forced many parents out of SF, which has one of the lowest per capita child age populations in the country. If I can't reasonably control where my kids go to school, even by living right next door to a decent one, I'm going to say screw it and get out of dodge. There are plenty of nice "suburbs" to live in around here where this isn't as much of a problem.I'm not a "helicopter" parent by any stretch, but I want a good education for my kids. I have to say I don't miss the human excrement and empty heroin bags on the sidewalk either.

Property is 0.37 acres or so. The hicks here shouldn't get too carried away with the ride-on stuff. Also the sellers mentioned they have a service, pretty cheap, whereby a bunch of illegals come by and cut the grass cheap each weekend. I may roll that way. I always wanted to have a lawn to mow, like when I was a kid, but I figure I can find other chores.
It isn't as much fun as you remember. You're going to have enough problems to deal with - get the service.

Public school lottery system and not being able to afford private school forced me out. It's forced many parents out of SF, which has one of the lowest per capita child age populations in the country. If I can't reasonably control where my kids go to school, even by living right next door to a decent one, I'm going to say screw it and get out of dodge. There are plenty of nice "suburbs" to live in around here where this isn't as much of a problem.I'm not a "helicopter" parent by any stretch, but I want a good education for my kids. I have to say I don't miss the human excrement and empty heroin bags on the sidewalk either.
Pretty much our deal as well. The city school districts around here are downright scary. I love the idea of city life if the city's vibrant or at least holding it's own, but the Capital district, ehh... not so much. So we traded that for a boring suburb with excellent schools. :shrug:

Learn to love the hot local italian joint, Olive Garden. Oh and that new seafood place that just moved in is getting rave reviews, Red Lobster.

Can you please not use inflammatory racist language in here? I have Asian friends.Thanks,-TPics?

Users who are viewing this thread