What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packer Homers, latest on Grant? (1 Viewer)

TxBuckeye

Footballguy
Hoping Grant will play. Need him in my lineup badly. Any word on Grant's status? I know it's early, but many folks are going to have to have lineups in way early this week so any little tidbits would be greatly appreciated.

I'm more concerned about his matchup w/ the Lions this week. They are going to show up for the nationally televised game, coupled w/ the minor ankle injury and short turnaround he's riding my pine.

Just heard again - Packers insider on the radio says he wont practice today, maybe tomorrow, but he Should play on Thursday without question.

I'm more concerned about his matchup w/ the Lions this week. They are going to show up for the nationally televised game, coupled w/ the minor ankle injury and short turnaround he's riding my pine.
The Lions will show up for the nationally televised game but the Packers won't? Lions have a terrible run D - if he starts for the Pack I'd suggest that he start for you.

Well, my other options (due to Jacobs being injured) are Kevin Jones going the other way in that game (tweaked ankle, two crappy weeks in a row) or T. Jones against the 5th ranked rush defense in the NFL. I'd like to take my chances with Grant if he's even 80% out there.

The Lions will show up for the nationally televised game but the Packers won't? Lions have a terrible run D - if he starts for the Pack I'd suggest that he start for you.
Not sure if its terrible. They give up fewer yards per game than Green Bay. Though, they have also given up 7 TDs...and their pass defense is so bad that teams just don't care to run on them when they can throw the ball.I think Favre is going to light them up though.

I dont remember saying that but I'll be honest w/ you,I've started a lot of rb's on thanksgiving day only to have them put up subpar #'s due to the short turnaround and the home team (in this scenario Detroit) being completely pumped playing at home. He carried the rock 20 times and I seriously doubt he'll get that many carries on Thursday. I would expect to see some Brandon Jackson sprinkled in a little more than usual.

I dont remember saying that but I'll be honest w/ you,I've started a lot of rb's on thanksgiving day only to have them put up subpar #'s due to the short turnaround and the home team (in this scenario Detroit) being completely pumped playing at home. He carried the rock 20 times and I seriously doubt he'll get that many carries on Thursday. I would expect to see some Brandon Jackson sprinkled in a little more than usual.
I thought that too about the Lions thanksgiving game, but then I looked at the stats. The past two years the Lions have given up an average of 221 yards rushing and gave up 27 points in both games. If Grant is healthy, I'd start him with confidence.

As a Grant owner I would prefer to write that Detroit's run D sucks and that even an 80% healthy Grant will run all over them. Problem is that through week 10, they were in the bottom half of the league for fantasy points allowed to RBs (<100 yds/game and <1 TD/game), and what's more they just held the NYG running game to 67 total yards . All that adds up to an average of tough sledding for most RBs.

That being said, I'll still probably play him because I'm betting Favre will get them up big early, and I feel more comfortable with him than Fargas against KC.

I am playing Jennings instead of Grant as my flex. Short week coming off a minor ankle sprain is not worth the risk IMO.

aggie_dave said:
As a Grant owner I would prefer to write that Detroit's run D sucks and that even an 80% healthy Grant will run all over them. Problem is that through week 10, they were in the bottom half of the league for fantasy points allowed to RBs (<100 yds/game and <1 TD/game), and what's more they just held the NYG running game to 67 total yards . All that adds up to an average of tough sledding for most RBs.That being said, I'll still probably play him because I'm betting Favre will get them up big early, and I feel more comfortable with him than Fargas against KC.
GB has had success running against a tough Minn. defense and a decent Carolina defense. In the Giant game, Jacobs ran ok until he got hurt 11-54 and 4-49-1 (rec) through 3 qtrs until he got hurt and then Droughns only ran for 11-13. Favre>>Manning @ exploiting/keeping the defense off balance and the Giants have no downfield threat with Plax limping around the field so they can't stretch the field. This will certainly not be the case with Favre as he'll take shots downfield to stretch the D.Favre reads/exploits defenses as good as any QB in the game. Detroit has played better of late but they aren't a good defense and I think this matchup bodes well for the Packers.

Deciding between Grant and Big Daddy Dayne against Cleveland. Who would have thought someone would have this dilemma in week 12? Not me. Leaning towards Dayne -- am I crazy?

Deciding between Grant and Big Daddy Dayne against Cleveland. Who would have thought someone would have this dilemma in week 12? Not me. Leaning towards Dayne -- am I crazy?
:) sounds like me deciding between Grant and Graham. Never saw this decision coming 3 months ago. :rolleyes:

tribecalledjeff said:
supermark_28 said:
Lions have a history of overachieving on Turkey day. Because they and Dallas do it every year, they know better how to prepare on 3 days reast. With NFL network doing regular Thursday Night games, that edge may come down, but I expect it to hold up this year.I'm starting Favre, but not with great confidence

tribecalledjeff said:
supermark_28 said:
If the Packers win, they pretty much sew up the Division, anyoen saying Green Bay won't be ready to play is crazy.

my exact decision to a T and im leaning towards Dayne. seems like Dayne is "safer" whereas Grant has more upside. so no you arent crazy because i cant decide b/t those 2 either..

tribecalledjeff said:
supermark_28 said:
Lions have a history of overachieving on Turkey day. Because they and Dallas do it every year, they know better how to prepare on 3 days reast. With NFL network doing regular Thursday Night games, that edge may come down, but I expect it to hold up this year.I'm starting Favre, but not with great confidence
When did they overacheive? Was it the 27-10 loss to Miami last year? The 27-7 drubbing by Vick and Atlanta the year before? The 41-9 fiasco vs. Indy the year before that? They've gotten killed 3 years in a row and are 1-5 in their last 6. Even if you are referring to their lone T-day victory in the last 6 years, saying that "they know how to prepare better on 3 days rest" makes zero sense because the # of current players/coaches that were on the team 3 years ago is extremely small.

Average points given up over the last 6 years? 26.3

Both Drinen's and Gray's strength of schedule list Detroit as allowing one of the most points in the league to opposing RBs.

If Grant is healthy, start him with absolute confidence. Favre is a must start.

tribecalledjeff said:
supermark_28 said:
When did they overacheive? Was it the 27-10 loss to Miami last year? The 27-7 drubbing by Vick and Atlanta the year before? The 41-9 fiasco vs. Indy the year before that? They've gotten killed 3 years in a row and are 1-5 in their last 6. Even if you are referring to their lone T-day victory in the last 6 years, saying that "they know how to prepare better on 3 days rest" makes zero sense because the # of current players/coaches that were on the team 3 years ago is extremely small.

Both Drinen's and Gray's strength of schedule list Detroit as allowing one of the most points in the league to opposing RBs.

outstanding post and making me think i want to get Grant in there somehow/some way. Im not as worried about the strength of the opponent so much as Grants workload on a short week with a touchy ankle. One more minor consideration. Lets say it does go the way of these last 3 years for Detroit and GB gets up on them early. Why risk Grant when they play the Cowboys exactly one week later. Ive seen a few posts say that GB has 10 days before their next game but thats not true. They play the Cowboys in a huge matchup the following Thursday night.ugh, i hate WDIS posts but the decisions loom larger as the playoffs get closer.

If you have Dayne against CLEV, this is definitely a no brainer.
its very hard for me to think of the Dayne train as a no-brainer against anyone..regardless of his prior success or the relative weakness of his opponent

its very hard for me to think of the Dayne train as a no-brainer against anyone..regardless of his prior success or the relative weakness of his opponent
Well, 211 rushing yards, 26 receiving yards and a TD the last two weeks. And it is CLEVELAND this week. Yep, I think it's a no brainer if there's any chance Grant is limited. Assuming Ahman is declared out of course.

Well, 211 rushing yards, 26 receiving yards and a TD the last two weeks. And it is CLEVELAND this week. Yep, I think it's a no brainer if there's any chance Grant is limited. Assuming Ahman is declared out of course.
I want to start Grant. I am leaning Dayne. I just like the matchup and I like the fact that the passing game is definitely coming back into the picture with Schaub/AJ -- which makes the D think twice about bringing up safeties to stop the run.

Big Daddy Dayne went to highschool about 3 miles from me. I rode that fat horse to the championship last season, believe it or not I was desperate in the finals last year and big Daddy rolled over the Colts and defeated the Tomlinson owner for me to win the prize.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=1811

The Texans are hoping to avoid putting RB Ahman Green (knee) on the injured reserved list.

Needing depth at running back and with injuries in the secondary, the Texans may need to shelve Green to open up a roster spot. "So we're going to continue to try to have as much patience as we can, and hopefully he makes progress," said Kubiak. Rookie RB Darius Walker may be added to the active roster this week if Green cannot play.

If the texans are contemplating putting Green on the IR I doubt very much he will play this Sunday. With AJ back the Texans may have some leads for Dayne to run the ball too. His schedule is awsome as it is and if Haynesworth stays hurt it is a perfect schedule.

12 Nov 25 HOU @ CLE averages 17.8 points given up to RBs

13 Dec 02 HOU @ TEN Not the same without Fat ALBERT.

14 Dec 09 TB @ HOU averages 19.7 points given up to RBs

15 Dec 13 DEN @ HOU averages 18.9 points given up to RBs

16 Dec 23 HOU @ IND

good stuff paulbertini

my response about dayne hardly being a no brainer was tongue in cheek more than anything. I agree that Green is more than likely done and that Dayne has a very good shot to help many playoff rosters the same way he did last year. But I still cant quite get my arms around that. I laughed when he was taken too early on our FF draft day, later traded for him, and now may very well be relying on his donut filled ash to get me to the promised land.

packersfan said:
The Packers listed Grant as having limited participation at practice today.
This was as expected so I'm not sure it helps much. The Packers said he wouldn't practice in the days leading up to the game. Actually the fact he practiced at all is probably a good sign?

I wouldn't expect more than 5 ff points out of Grant this week. He will play but how much? A healthy Grant means a lot more next week against the Cowboys so a light workload this thursday makes more sense to me. If Favre can light up the Lions D I would expect to see Jackson more than normal this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we drop the Dayne talk and keep it about grant?

Nov 20 Grant (ankle) took part in a walk-through on Tuesday, but then left to get treatment, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Recommendation: Grant will be a game-time decision on Thursday, but it looks like he will at least try to play. Brandon Jackson would get the start if Grant can't play.

I wouldn't expect more than 5 ff points out of Grant this week. He will play but how much? A healthy Grant means a lot more next week against the Cowboys so a light workload this thursday makes more sense to me. If Favre can light up the Lions D I would expect to see Jackson more than normal this week.
Decided not to risk it. Was able to get Mo Morris so I am going to go with the "safer" play. Here's hoping it doesn't bite me int he rear.

roto..

Ryan Grant - RB - Packers Ryan Grant didn't take part in the team portion of Tuesday's practice, but was active in the jog-through segment. It was expected that Grant would miss most of this week's practice and still start against the Lions on Thursday, and that still seems to be the plan. Nov. 21 - 4:19 a.m. ET Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Pretty much everytime they play Green Bay.

Going OT but can anyone locate and maybe post the rushing stats vs Detroit for the last several Turkey Day games?
2006: Miami: 35 rushes, 186 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2006-12-mia-det2005: Atlanta: 45 rushes, 256 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2005-12-atl-det

2004: Indy: 29 rushes, 113 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2004-12-ind-det

2003: GB: 16 rushes, 52 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2003-13-gb-det

2002: NE: 38 rushes, 139 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2002-13-ne-det

2001: GB: 27 rushes, 104 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2001-11-gb-det

2000: NE: 20 rushes, 66 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2000-13-ne-det

Injury report

Running back Ryan Grant did not take part in the team portion of practice because of a sprained ankle, but McCarthy gave no indication that he wouldn't be available for the game.

"He feels pretty good," McCarthy said. "He went through the jog-through segment of today's practice."

McCarthy also held out tackles Chad Clifton (knee) and Mark Tauscher (ankle), but both took part in the jog-through and are expected to be ready. The players took part in an abbreviated practice conducted without pads to keep them fresh.

The Lions had only two players on the injury report who did not practice: end Ikaika Alama-Francis (hamstring) and linebacker Teddy Lehman (foot).
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=688545

Going OT but can anyone locate and maybe post the rushing stats vs Detroit for the last several Turkey Day games?
2006: Miami: 35 rushes, 186 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2006-12-mia-det2005: Atlanta: 45 rushes, 256 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2005-12-atl-det

2004: Indy: 29 rushes, 113 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index....2004-12-ind-det

2003: GB: 16 rushes, 52 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2003-13-gb-det

2002: NE: 38 rushes, 139 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2002-13-ne-det

2001: GB: 27 rushes, 104 yds, 1 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2001-11-gb-det

2000: NE: 20 rushes, 66 yds, 0 TD - http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../2000-13-ne-det
Much obliged!! :X

my exact decision to a T and im leaning towards Dayne. seems like Dayne is "safer" whereas Grant has more upside. so no you arent crazy because i cant decide b/t those 2 either..
I have that exact same options in 2 leagues, and i think I may split them up :blackdot:

November 21, 2007, 14:00Packers :: RBRB Grant "Good To Go"Mike Spofford, Packers.com - [Full Article]RB Ryan Grant looked "fine" Wednesday according to HC Mike McCarthy during the team's walk through drill. Grant, who injured his ankle last week, said he's "good to go" and is ready to play Thursday at Detroit, although he was limited during Tuesday's practice. RB Brandon Jackson will serve as the backup assuming Grant plays.

from Sportsline....News: Packers RB Ryan Grant (ankle) practiced in full Wednesday and is expected to start at Detroit in Week 12 on Thanksgiving Day. He's officially listed as probable.

from Sportsline....News: Packers RB Ryan Grant (ankle) practiced in full Wednesday and is expected to start at Detroit in Week 12 on Thanksgiving Day. He's officially listed as probable.
This is great news. I need him to have a big day.

November 21, 2007, 14:00Packers :: RBRB Grant "Good To Go"Mike Spofford, Packers.com - [Full Article]RB Ryan Grant looked "fine" Wednesday according to HC Mike McCarthy during the team's walk through drill. Grant, who injured his ankle last week, said he's "good to go" and is ready to play Thursday at Detroit, although he was limited during Tuesday's practice. RB Brandon Jackson will serve as the backup assuming Grant plays.
:hifive:

urbanhack said:
Nigel Tufnel said:
November 21, 2007, 14:00

Packers :: RB

RB Grant "Good To Go"

Mike Spofford, Packers.com - [Full Article]

RB Ryan Grant looked "fine" Wednesday according to HC Mike McCarthy during the team's walk through drill. Grant, who injured his ankle last week, said he's "good to go" and is ready to play Thursday at Detroit, although he was limited during Tuesday's practice. RB Brandon Jackson will serve as the backup assuming Grant plays.
:hifive:
At first glance, this caption seems to be good news for Grant owners. However, I'm thinking looking good in a walk-thru with a sprained ankle is much easier than looking good in a full-contact practice with a sprained ankle. I have Grant and am very leary of starting him based on this snippet.

Looks as if you all know already but WJMC just outside Green Bay said Grant is fine and is starting. WEAU13 out of Eau Claire also has him healty and starting.

At first glance, this caption seems to be good news for Grant owners. However, I'm thinking looking good in a walk-thru with a sprained ankle is much easier than looking good in a full-contact practice with a sprained ankle. I have Grant and am very leary of starting him based on this snippet.
Read the actual article then....Grant ready to go

Running back Ryan Grant, who twisted his ankle on a fourth-quarter shovel pass last Sunday against Carolina, said the ankle feels fine and he's ready to play on Thursday.

"I'm good to go. I'm good," said Grant, who has rushed for 366 yards over the last four games. "I got a lot of treatment, a lot of work the last couple of days just getting ready. It feels good."

McCarthy said Grant looked "fine" during Wednesday's walk-through. He added that rookie Brandon Jackson would be the No. 2 running back against Detroit.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/11/21/1/

Users who are viewing this thread