What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Passport Renewal Absurdity (1 Viewer)

i went through the process in 2019, like two months before the world shut down over covid. i never got anything back so I assumed it was because of the shutdown. six months or so later I got a package containing everything I had sent including the expired passport because I left out the most important document, a signed check. had to send it again and it took a year to get a new passport. i would have complained it took so long except i couldn't go anywhere even if i wanted to in 2019 & 2020.

Stoped in Staples the other day to get my Passport photo for my renewal,($18 2 photos) was very surprised to see the lady next to me going through the process of getting her TSA PreCheck done at the counter next to me. $78 for 5 years, fingerprinted, photo, the whole shebang. Who knew.

We experienced an absolute nightmare passport renewal this spring. Submitted our renewal online something like 5 months before our trip to Europe was scheduled. As our trip got closer and closer and still no passports, I finally called the Passport help line only to be told there was nothing they could do, including scheduling an in person appointment as a passport office, before 10 days out from our trip. So exactly 10 days out, first thing in the morning I call the 800# and try to schedule an in-person appointment just in case - only to be told there are NO appointments available at ANY passport office anywhere even remotely close to us. My wife and I ended up have to book same day round trip flights from Indianapolis to NYC because that's the only place we could get an in-person appointment. There are stories like this all over the place, including many that have had to miss/cancel trips or pay a ton of extra money out of pocket like us to get passports renewed. What a ****show. If you have international travel scheduled/planned and you need to renew passports, send them in ASAP.
Sent ours in last month. Trip at the end of May. I assume 6 months is enough, but you make me nervous.

Stoped in Staples the other day to get my Passport photo for my renewal,($18 2 photos) was very surprised to see the lady next to me going through the process of getting her TSA PreCheck done at the counter next to me. $78 for 5 years, fingerprinted, photo, the whole shebang. Who knew.
Did this at Staples a month ago - was also extremely efficient and seamless. Flying to NYC for Thanksgiving with the family and I'm excited to use the TSA Precheck lines for the first time. (y)

Taking my daughter‘s boyfriend on a trip this year. The rube doesn’t have precheck. Gonna have to do something about that

Anyone renewed a US Passport recently? I just had to renew mine and I can't believe this process exists in 2023. It seems so archaic. It seems like everything I've renewed in recent years is online just about 100%. Global Entry, CHL's, DL, etc. Passport? Nope.

1) Fill out renewal form online.
2) Print and sign form.
3) Take new picture
4) Print & crop picture
5) Write paper check. ($130 for passport, 11 week turnaround, and $60 for "expedited" time of 5 weeks).
6) Mail whole shebang along with old (not expired, still valid) passport.
7) Wait

Why can't this be done electronically? Printed forms and paper checks in 2023 are just absurd. And why do I have to mail a perfectly good passport that I won't have returned for at least a month? What if I need it? I know that they return it with a hole punched in it with my new passport but why bother with that step at all? Does the hole really make a difference? Isn't the fact that it expires good enough?

And $190 for this pleasure? Good grief, Department of State, get your act together and modernize this process. Please.

there are room for improvements no doubt, and having three i can certainly relate. but they require you to submit the one being replaced to address theft/etc.
That makes no sense since they send it back, just with a hole punched in it. Why can't expired passports simply be invalid???

They do more than that. I don't know all the details, but your passport isn't just a paper book. I know the old ones have chip on the back cover while the new ones have a lot more features.

They send it back because people want the stamps/etc as mementos.

They beat their estimated turnaround time for expedited of 5 weeks. I got it back today in just under 4 weeks. Interestingly, they did not return my old passport like they have with previous renewals and the new passport clearly has added technology. The first page with the picture and information is now more of a hard plastic card with what appear to be multiple RFID and hologram type security features.

They beat their estimated turnaround time for expedited of 5 weeks. I got it back today in just under 4 weeks. Interestingly, they did not return my old passport like they have with previous renewals and the new passport clearly has added technology. The first page with the picture and information is now more of a hard plastic card with what appear to be multiple RFID and hologram type security features.
The old passport comes after.

Just did my daughter‘s passport renewal and my drivers license renewal in the same week. i was absolutely floored at how smooth and easy both transactions were. In CA we have a new DL called real ID. It requires more paperwork than a passport. Two bills with your home address on it? Plus your old DL, a passport, annd insurance. Extremely dumb. Must be done in person. But you must upload all the documentation first. The DMV is a special hell hole.

anyway, called and made a same day appointment at the DMV. When I got there, they told me that wasn’t possible and I wasn’t in their system. Showed them my email confirmation. Voila! Woman who processed me through was smart, nice and efficient. It was shocking.

with the passport, my daughter and I stopped by the post office the day before our appointment, to make sure we had all our ducks in a row. And I’m glad we did, because I had no idea that I needed a check 😂. Came back the next day, the guy could not have been nicer. In and out quickly. He said it would be 7-10 weeks
Passport arrived last week. 4 weeks?

Just did my daughter‘s passport renewal and my drivers license renewal in the same week. i was absolutely floored at how smooth and easy both transactions were. In CA we have a new DL called real ID. It requires more paperwork than a passport. Two bills with your home address on it? Plus your old DL, a passport, annd insurance. Extremely dumb. Must be done in person. But you must upload all the documentation first. The DMV is a special hell hole.

anyway, called and made a same day appointment at the DMV. When I got there, they told me that wasn’t possible and I wasn’t in their system. Showed them my email confirmation. Voila! Woman who processed me through was smart, nice and efficient. It was shocking.

with the passport, my daughter and I stopped by the post office the day before our appointment, to make sure we had all our ducks in a row. And I’m glad we did, because I had no idea that I needed a check 😂. Came back the next day, the guy could not have been nicer. In and out quickly. He said it would be 7-10 weeks
Non-expedited. My wife and I got ours back in ~5 weeks.

Non-expedited. My wife and I got ours back in ~5 weeks.
Also non expedited here

i love that the gov and dmv require a check. it’s like having someone get off the couch to change a TV channel with a knob.
I had a bank issue a few years ago and had to fax them something. I know it’s more secure but what a stupid archaic process

Oh and I need to see when mine expires. Original was 2006 and I renewed once so think I’m good for a few more years

Users who are viewing this thread