What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
Imperious Belichick now. Can't believe how much time he's had to put into this.

Makes a "My Cousin Vinny" joke to lighten things up. Nice.

Pats didn't tamper with balls. That's the headline. BB giving a big old middle finger to the NFL.

So it's on the NFL to show what they've got.

Depressed Pats fans: you will enjoy the second half of Bill Simmons' podcast on this. He talks to Joe Bug, who is in full in full on eff you mode. Did my heart good. I hope the Pats are in full on eff you mode in a week and a day.
Why? Nobody other NE homers is going to recognize a SB win as legitimate.
We realize that and are fine with it.
Nobody but NE haters are going to discount a SB win as illegitimate.I'm not a NE fan. If they win, you know damn well everything will be to spec in that game and they will have deserved to win that game.
If the Pats win the Super Bowl, they are legitimate champions. They are a great team, period. If I was a Pats fan I wouldn't think twice about it and would just enjoy the ride. As a "salty hater", I'd still be upset that their fans got to enjoy the win.....

...even if it turns out that the Pats are guilty here. And If they are, while I honestly will not beleive that under inflating the ball ever really made a big enough difference to really effect things enough to have changed outcomes, I will consider them slimy and would still have to think theyre cheaters. I'll also enjoy the fact that everyone will discount their wins and even their fans will lose some of the enjoyment as a result.

If they are found innocent, I'll move on. It won't upset me at all. In fact I'd love to give them the respect they deserve. There's no denying that Bill is a GREAT coach, and Tom is a GREAT quarterback - they are a division rival and thus I have to "hate" them, but I'd love to be able to hate them in just the sports sense of the word, and not have to hate all they represent if they are once again guilty of cheating.

BB saying the way they prep the balls increases PSI by a pound off the bat. Said they did their own experiment to emulate what happened and found the difference from outside to inside accounted for 1.5 PSI. Said balls were requested to be set at 12.5 PSI when given to refs. Said if they did not check them or adjust to that level that is on refs.

Says they made no attempt to circvent rules and balls were not touched by anyone after refs got them and not altered on field. Did everything to adhere to rules.

Basically message to NFL: bring it on. BB says he is done and concentrating on SB prep.

so the beating up the balls bit - I'm assuming the rubbing process heats up the internal air, such that it adds one psi. The refs then inflate to 12.5 psi (i.e. indicating they deliver balls below required pressure, expecting the refs to correct. Nothing wrong with that, IMO). So, the refs inflate to 12.5, and then the rubbed down balls lose that 1 psi they initially gained, rendering them at an effective pressure of 11.5 before they hit the field.

At that point, the temp drops 20 dF, causing the balls to lose 1 more psi, bringing the pressure to 10.5 psi.

Is that the Patriots operating theory?

Haven't been able to watch or see other than what's out here but sounds like Bill is handling this perfect. Getting it out of way before next week.

As a Pats fan this is a HUGE relief. To hear the team come out this emphatically suggests the are 100% sure the balls were not tampered with.

BB saying the way they prep the balls increases PSI by a pound off the bat. Said they did their own experiment to emulate what happened and found the difference from outside to inside accounted for 1.5 PSI. Said balls were requested to be set at 12.5 PSI when given to refs. Said if they did not check them or adjust to that level that is on refs.

Says they made no attempt to circvent rules and balls were not touched by anyone after refs got them and not altered on field. Did everything to adhere to rules.

Basically message to NFL: bring it on. BB says he is done and concentrating on SB prep.
Thanks

Depressed Pats fans: you will enjoy the second half of Bill Simmons' podcast on this. He talks to Joe Bug, who is in full in full on eff you mode. Did my heart good. I hope the Pats are in full on eff you mode in a week and a day.
Why? Nobody other NE homers is going to recognize a SB win as legitimate.
We realize that and are fine with it.
Nobody but NE haters are going to discount a SB win as illegitimate.I'm not a NE fan. If they win, you know damn well everything will be to spec in that game and they will have deserved to win that game.
If the Pats win the Super Bowl, they are legitimate champions. They are a great team, period. If I was a Pats fan I wouldn't think twice about it and would just enjoy the ride. As a "salty hater", I'd still be upset that their fans got to enjoy the win.....

...even if it turns out that the Pats are guilty here. And If they are, while I honestly will not beleive that under inflating the ball ever really made a big enough difference to really effect things enough to have changed outcomes, I will consider them slimy and would still have to think theyre cheaters. I'll also enjoy the fact that everyone will discount their wins and even their fans will lose some of the enjoyment as a result.

If they are found innocent, I'll move on. It won't upset me at all. In fact I'd love to give them the respect they deserve. There's no denying that Bill is a GREAT coach, and Tom is a GREAT quarterback - they are a division rival and thus I have to "hate" them, but I'd love to be able to hate them in just the sports sense of the word, and not have to hate all they represent if they are once again guilty of cheating.
That's fair. Too bad more don't share this sentiment.

Excellent summary.

Question: Bill can you say definitively that no Patriot manipulated the footballs between the time they were given to the refs and halftime?

^^will anyone ask this? the rest is dumb

so the beating up the balls bit - I'm assuming the rubbing process heats up the internal air, such that it adds one psi. The refs then inflate to 12.5 psi (i.e. indicating they deliver balls below required pressure, expecting the refs to correct. Nothing wrong with that, IMO). So, the refs inflate to 12.5, and then the rubbed down balls lose that 1 psi they initially gained, rendering them at an effective pressure of 11.5 before they hit the field.

At that point, the temp drops 20 dF, causing the balls to lose 1 more psi, bringing the pressure to 10.5 psi.

Not quite sure. Think the plan here is deny deny deny, use "PSI", "inflate", "atmospheric elements" randomly enough times to confuse the issue. Then act indignant and stick up for his team.

Yep. Still can't figure out why the Colts' balls were still at 12.5 or more. If it's up to the refs to inflate the balls to whatever pressure they decide, did they inflate the Colts' balls to a higher PSI, and if so, why?

Either the NFL is going to look horrible for allowing this circus to go on when they has nothing, or they are going to look horrible when they back down and sweep it under the rug.

what did he say about spygate? Any quick summary?
initial statement: we always err on the side of caution, stay away from "the line"

question: did that change bc of spygate?

annoyed answer: that was done in front of 80,000 people. we were disciplined for it. we won't do it again for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. What a big F-U to the League, the media, and the haters. He couldn't have been more emphatic. Wish he would have done this during Spygate.

Now watch all the mediots who blow with the wind change their tune. This thing blows over and is DEAD.

Thanks
If they were confident this is what happened they should have done it in the presence of the NFL or video taped it. Case closed.

Wow. What a big F-U to the League, the media, and the haters. He couldn't have been more emphatic. Wish he would have done this during Spygate.

Now watch all the mediots who blow with the wind change their tune. This thing blows over and is DEAD.
You're like a puppy....ooooh shiny!!!!

What prep could they do

What could possibly be done to prep the balls to increase the PSI other than filling them with heated air?

Tell you what... The next aspect of this sorry is going to be the Pats and their fans looking for a pound of flesh after this bull#### witch hunt that had them convicted before the trial.

I love that he stated multiple times that you can replicate the experiment and encouraged everyone to go do it.

What prep could they do

What could possibly be done to prep the balls to increase the PSI other than filling them with heated air?
He said that they would have to ask Brady, but he said the process involves rubbing down the football. Rubbing the football could obviously increase the temperature of the ball and the air contained within.

Last edited by a moderator:

:goodposting:

You're like a puppy....ooooh shiny!!!!
And you're like a drooling idiot, Bucky, as always.

What prep could they do

Put them in the dryer ffs?

Users who are viewing this thread