What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots Host a Pair of Veteran RBs (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
probably nothing to see here but:

The Patriots hosted free agents Ryan Grant and Tim Hightower Friday, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.Perhaps the Patriots aren't ready to ride with Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead as their primary backs after all. Grant is 29, isn't a receiver out of the backfield and has no speed left, but the Patriots have taken low-risk gambles like this before. Hightower was acting as the Redskins lead back last season before tearing his ACL in Week 7.

It'd be interesting for Grant (on a personal level) if he ends up in NE... and he'll have played alongside Favre, Rodgers and Brady.

They will be adding another RB...numbers dictate that (or at least they do on paper)...they currently have Ridley, Vereen and Woddhead and nothing else...with Ridley and Vereen being second year players and still unproven it probably makes sense to bring in a veteran that has some type of track recod...if healthy Hightower is intriguing as he can run and catch which is a plus in the Pats offense...

Grant would seem to fit well as a replacement in the role similar to what BJGE was. Another solid option at RB and another RB who rarely fumbles the football.

and another:

Free agent Joseph Addai visited the Patriots, a source tells beat writer Shalise Manza Young.Throw Addai into the over-the-hill gang of running backs the Patriots hosted Friday. At this point, it's thought that they're just looking at Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower and Addai for emergency kind of insurance. Addai has attracted no interest on the open market since getting dumped by the Colts.
seems like they will be adding a veteran to the mix.

and another:

Free agent Joseph Addai visited the Patriots, a source tells beat writer Shalise Manza Young.Throw Addai into the over-the-hill gang of running backs the Patriots hosted Friday. At this point, it's thought that they're just looking at Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower and Addai for emergency kind of insurance. Addai has attracted no interest on the open market since getting dumped by the Colts.
seems like they will be adding a veteran to the mix.
Addai is another RB that makes sense...he's versatile, has played in a ton of big games and will probably come pretty cheap...

Hightower reminds me a lot of former patriot sammy morris. does everything but nothing great.

he'd be the guy id acquire ...more versatile and left in the tank than the others

Hightower reminds me a lot of former patriot sammy morris. does everything but nothing great.he'd be the guy id acquire ...more versatile and left in the tank than the others
The fact he can play FB as well probably won't hurt him with BB...

I don't want addai. I don't mind rooting for him, but I hate veteran players whove played 90% of their career on a big rival team, seems like their heart isn't totally in it. And addai isn't good enough to justify that. Go to the jets, and play angry against the pats.

The rumor around these parts has been that if the Rams draft Trent Richardson, they will trade Steven Jackson to the Pats for NE's own second round pick. Since the Pats usually do things in the dark and out of left field, I would guess that means it won't happen.

The rumor around these parts has been that if the Rams draft Trent Richardson, they will trade Steven Jackson to the Pats for NE's own second round pick. Since the Pats usually do things in the dark and out of left field, I would guess that means it won't happen.
Consider me skeptical that New England would give a 2nd round pick for the "right" to pay Steven Jackson $7 million this year. There is a reason the trade market for Asante Samuel has been slow to develop (and it isn't because of a lack of ability).

Consider me skeptical that New England would give a 2nd round pick for the "right" to pay Steven Jackson $7 million this year. There is a reason the trade market for Asante Samuel has been slow to develop (and it isn't because of a lack of ability).
One would think that it would be similar to the Randy Moss trade with Oakland. Jackson would need to rework his deal for that to happen.

One would think that it would be similar to the Randy Moss trade with Oakland. Jackson would need to rework his deal for that to happen.
Exactly how they got Dillon...traded a #2 and had him re-work his contract....would love to see him in New Egland...that would really make this offense sily...

Steven Jackson isnt worth a #2
That offense is built to win now and the window with Brady is closing. SJax is a beast -- admittedly, one that is banged up -- who has carried the Rams' offense on his back for years. He might be too banged up to carry an offense on his back, but I think he could do a lot of damage with NE's OLine and Brady, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez opening up running room with their offensive attack. By the time the #2 develops, NE's window might have closed. In contrast, adding SJax to their already potent offense could be what increases their chances of adding another ring or two...

That offense is built to win now and the window with Brady is closing. SJax is a beast -- admittedly, one that is banged up -- who has carried the Rams' offense on his back for years. He might be too banged up to carry an offense on his back, but I think he could do a lot of damage with NE's OLine and Brady, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez opening up running room with their offensive attack. By the time the #2 develops, NE's window might have closed. In contrast, adding SJax to their already potent offense could be what increases their chances of adding another ring or two...
People said that Dillon was on his last legs too . . . and he came in and had a career high in carries (345) and won a title in his first year.The way the Pats churn through draft picks, burning a late second on Jackson would not be the worst thing in the world. Many of their early picks from the last few drafts are gone, so getting at least SOMETHING out of a second rounder would be ok.

People said that Dillon was on his last legs too . . . and he came in and had a career high in carries (345) and won a title in his first year.The way the Pats churn through draft picks, burning a late second on Jackson would not be the worst thing in the world. Many of their early picks from the last few drafts are gone, so getting at least SOMETHING out of a second rounder would be ok.
The real question here is "can they afford his contract" ?

'Ron_Mexico said:
'Anarchy99 said:
'bucsbaby said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
The real question here is "can they afford his contract" ?
The assumption, I think, is that he would restructure his contract.

'Boston said:
'Inspiration said:
'Boston said:
'Craig_MiamiFL said:
Hightower reminds me a lot of former patriot sammy morris. does everything but nothing great.he'd be the guy id acquire ...more versatile and left in the tank than the others
He can?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he played a little FB with the Cards...
No, he never played fullback in AZ.

'Boston said:
'Inspiration said:
'Boston said:
'Craig_MiamiFL said:
He can?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he played a little FB with the Cards...
No, he never played fullback in AZ.
You are correct...maybe it was the 2.8 YPC his rookie year that threw me off but I thought he played there a little as a rookie but he did not...also, I can't believe he won't be 26 until May...

'Anarchy99 said:
'bucsbaby said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
So you think BB goes into this draft thining we can't find another Gronkowski in the second round, we suck at this draft thing, so lets trade for S Jax? Not likely.What's not to like aboutS Jax the player? However, after expending his draft capital on Ridley and Vereen last season Jackson doesn't make sense. Picking up Jackson might make sense if Brady was hurt and they were wanting to change the focus of the team from pass to run. I don't see them paying big money to bring in Jackson to be part of a RBBC.

So you think BB goes into this draft thining we can't find another Gronkowski in the second round, we suck at this draft thing, so lets trade for S Jax? Not likely.

What's not to like aboutS Jax the player? However, after expending his draft capital on Ridley and Vereen last season Jackson doesn't make sense. Picking up Jackson might make sense if Brady was hurt and they were wanting to change the focus of the team from pass to run. I don't see them paying big money to bring in Jackson to be part of a RBBC.
The only way to make it work would be to re-structure Jackson's existing deal, otherwise, go Hightower.

Users who are viewing this thread