What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peter Jackson to make The Hobbit (1 Viewer)

Why is Azog shown in this trailer? Makes zero sense to include him in the storyline now. No orcs should show up east of the Misty Mountains until The Battle of Five Armies!

Why is Azog shown in this trailer? Makes zero sense to include him in the storyline now. No orcs should show up east of the Misty Mountains until The Battle of Five Armies!
Well none of us know what the story line entails for the 2nd movie, we can only guess. Jackson moved scenes around in LOTR that did not align with where they appeared in the books so he could be doing something similar here. If Azog (and his rumored son Bolg) are important for the 3rd movie, it makes some sense to not let the audience forget about them for the entire second movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im about an hour in. This is boring as hell. Does it get better?
The story picks up once they leave the Shire but if you hate it now it may not make any difference.
yeah i stopped it for now. Couldnt take it anymore. Just not my thing, loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy
The tone is significantly different from LOTR. Read through the thread and you will see that is a common theme. To be fair the Hobbit book was also significantly different in tone to LOTR.

The LOTR movies were my favorite movies of all time. The first Hobbit was no where near as good obviously but I still enjoyed it and can't wait for the second.

The story picks up once they leave the Shire but if you hate it now it may not make any difference.
yeah i stopped it for now. Couldnt take it anymore. Just not my thing, loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy
The tone is significantly different from LOTR. Read through the thread and you will see that is a common theme. To be fair the Hobbit book was also significantly different in tone to LOTR.

The LOTR movies were my favorite movies of all time. The first Hobbit was no where near as good obviously but I still enjoyed it and can't wait for the second.
The Hobbit was clearly a children's book- not really fair IMO to say it's not "as good". LOTR was clearly aimed for nerdy teenagers- so it had much higher aspirations in scope and prose. ( ;) ... I loved both)

I found the Hobbit movie to be too focused on improbable and exaggerated CGI stunts, i.e. people being hurled hundreds of feet and then jumping up and still fighting - which makes it difficult to suspend disbelief, even in a world of dragons, dwarves, etc. It also seemed to plod along so as to justify a trilogy.

I love the Hobbit novel - I just read it to my 5-year old son who enjoyed it as well. This just feels too much like a commercial venture.

The Hobbit was clearly a children's book- not really fair IMO to say it's not "as good". LOTR was clearly aimed for nerdy teenagers- so it had much higher aspirations in scope and prose. ( ;) ... I loved both)
I was comparing the movies to each other, not the novels to each other. The Hobbit novel stands strongly on its own when compared to the LOTR novels. The Hobbit movie (at least number 1) not so much imo when compared to the LOTR movies.

I love them all as well but unlike children, I can love them to different degrees :)

I think a lot of it has to do with when you were first introduced to The Hobbit. It's easier to forgive the cheesy/kiddie stuff when you were first introduced to it at an age where you liked that stuff.

I loved the LOTR movies but found The Hobbit movie to be just OK. Too much cheesy stuff for my liking as a non-book reader. I then read the book afterwards and I think that will help me enjoy the next two movies more, but even the book I found to be just OK. I think if I'd already had fond memories of reading it as a child and was re-reading it now I would have liked it a lot more.

BigSteelThrill said:
Great trailer. I liked it much better than the first trailer. I still think this movie will be light hearted like the first movie but this trailer gives me some small hope that it will shift in tone, ever so slightly, to a darker note.

I do wish they did not mix Benedicts voice for Smaug though.

Can't wait to see this.

My daughter and I just completed a run of the 3 extended editions of LOTR followed by the extended edition of The Hobbit to get ready for opening night in a couple of weeks.

We enjoyed the Hobbit again. Neither of us felt the additional 13 minutes in the extended edition added too much to the movie except for the extended scene of Gandalf, Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond, which included an interesting discussion of the 7 Dwarven rings of power.

For those that hated the music/songs in the movie, I would recommend avoiding the EE as it added 3 songs to the movie.

I am very excited for the next movie. I can't say that Cumberbatch's performance in DOS will be as important as Serkis's was in TTT but I have a feeling it could still hold a prominent role in the ultimate level of success of DOS.

It's probably just me, but I will never be able to bring myself to call this movie "The Desolation of Smaug". It'll just be "the second Hobbit movie" or "Hobbit II". :shrug:

Looks like Cumberbatch nailed Smoug as I was hoping he would. This is the first detailed review I read. Warning there are minor spoilers in the long full article so I will just quote the highlights.

==============================

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/07/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-review

First things first: The Desolation of Smaug is much better and more entertaining than its predecessor, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This film clips along at a fast rate, upping the action and the suspense in a way the walking-and-talking first film often failed to. Everything just works better this time out: the battles, the character interplay, the visual effects, the tone, and the energy. If you were wary of returning to Middle-earth after An Unexpected Journey, fear not; The Desolation of Smaug is a superior Hobbit movie in every way.

For a movie nearly three hours long, The Desolation of Smaug hauls ### from beginning to end, from its Western-style flashback opening to its serial-like ending. The film's brisk movement largely works, although there are a few hiccups and odd, choppy editorial choices around the time we meet Beorn that mar that nearly perfect pace. When the end credits finally roll, you truly are left wanting more.

However, it's really Cumberbatch who gets the biggest bragging rights amongst the supporting cast and new players. His rich baritone gives Smaug a gravitas and regal bearing befitting the legendary beast. (Cumberbatch's other role as the Necromancer is really more of a visual effect here so perhaps it will pay off more in the next film.) Unsurprisingly, the teasers have revealed only a fraction of what Smaug is like. There really haven't been a lot of great movie dragons, but Jackson and WETA have created a doozy here in Smaug.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a rollicking piece of epic entertainment, superior to its predecessor technically and dramatically. It atones for the rather lackluster first film, and generates excitement for next year's concluding chapter of the trilogy, The Hobbit: There And Back Again.

THE VERDICT

If you were disappointed with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey then The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the film you've been waiting for. It's a breathlessly told, action-packed crowd-pleaser that restores the luster of the saga for those underwhelmed by its predecessor and leaves you excited for the final chapter in the trilogy.

I liked the first Hobbit movie. :shrug:
me too. But I can understand why some didn't.

Still really jacked for the second in any case. Going to be going with daughter and 4 nephews on opening night.
It went slowly, but the epic story begins slowly so the pieces all need to be set up. That was to be expected.

I didn't like how exaggerated the the combat scenes were, too much so. Even accounting for it being a fantasy, I found it to be ridiculous that characters like the dwaves are getting violently hurled dozens of feet through the air against a jagged rock and then just shake it off. At least try for some verisimilitude.

Two more solid reviews, similar in view to the IGN one I posted earlier. I am just including the verdict below. If you want more detail/light spoilers, click on links. The second one I skipped most of as the reviewer appears to give too much away.

http://www.thewrap.com/hobbit-desolation-smaug-review-peter-jackson-second-verse

it’s triumphantly engaging in a way that rivals Jackson’s magnificent “Two Towers” — and best of all, it makes you eager to see the next film in a way that “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” didn’t. Powerful and provocative, “The Desolation of Smaug” not only surpasses its predecessor but also stands on its own; where “Journey” took material audiences thought they knew and made it feel foreign, this one creates a uniquely original experience that also feels securely familiar.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-desolation-smaug/review/663372

Nearly everything about "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved creation.

Picked up tickets for Friday ( non HFR). There appears to be more HFR showings this time around so be careful if you are looking at certain time periods.

Anyone else going this weekend?

Picked up tickets for Friday ( non HFR). There appears to be more HFR showings this time around so be careful if you are looking at certain time periods.

Anyone else going this weekend?
I'm going with the family Saturday for the HFR version. Nobody got sick the last time so we should be good!

Went to go see a sneak preview thru a local radio giveaway down here but there was so much smaug in the theater we couldn't breathe and we had to leave.

Going to the midnight premiere tonight. I really enjoyed the first Hobbit and I have a feeling I'll like Desolation even more.

DVR'ed Unexpected Journey when I had a free weekend of something and watched some if it last night. I got to where they meet the elves and get the map read..... So probably not that far in.

Initially I was kinda bored in that it was slow moving........... but thinking on it I have to say that I think it was well done - to this point. I'm sure it's just as good or better moving forward. I have to accept that I just don't need 2 hours of nonstop awesome action to be entertained. I like the passion and emotion and making sure there is reference to everything in the world to build this picture in your head. All good to me.

Gotta finish it at some point. But solid. I might actually take the kids to see the new one if its a little more action oriented just because it probably keeps attention better.

Gotta finish it at some point. But solid. I might actually take the kids to see the new one if its a little more action oriented just because it probably keeps attention better.
Assuming this means your kids have not seen part 1, I am physically incapable of this :) .

I have a huge issue with making sure my daughter watches things both in order and completely, whether it be tv or movie series.

I just can't wrap my head around watching a second part of a trilogy with out seeing the first. In my screwed up mind its like reading a book but skipping the first 15 chapters.

Assuming this means your kids have not seen part 1, I am physically incapable of this :) .

I have a huge issue with making sure my daughter watches things both in order and completely, whether it be tv or movie series.

I just can't wrap my head around watching a second part of a trilogy with out seeing the first. In my screwed up mind its like reading a book but skipping the first 15 chapters.
Yeah it would be out of order for my oldest but I've been trying to get him to expand his reading to more fiction stuff and have basically told him to pick the hobbit stuff or harry potter and he is balking on both.. If he likes the movie he might jump in - that's what happened with Percy Jackson. He saw that first movie, loved the whole mythology thing and then in the span of a month read every book in the series and talks about it all the time. So..... we'll see.

Verdict on The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug: A-. Critics of the first Hobbit will find Hobbit 2 better. Had a very Two Towers feel to it. For a more detailed and SPOILER review, click on comments below.

The Hobbit 2 picks up right where the first one left off, with the dwarves on the run from The Defiler's band of merry orcs. Oh, and there's a bear too. Beorn, aka the skin changer, is a pretty surly fellow who makes the dwarves look like Smurfs. Mirkwood Forest made Fangorn Forest look like Kokiri Forest from Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I can already hear you screaming STOP WITH THE NERD REFERENCES THAT ONLY TWO OF YOUR FRIENDS WILL GET). The scenes with Bilbo in the forest are plenty suspenseful and frightening enough, partially because spiders give me a case of the ickys. Like the Lord of the Rings, I found the whole "heroes in the company/captivity of the elves" part to drag a bit, but they made up for it with the barrels and my favorite dwarf Kili's interactions with Evangeline Lilly's wood elf character (more on her in a bit). Kili is so damn likable and is my favorite dwarf behind Balin. Loved him in the book, too, so it's good to see Peter Jackson giving him his due, and the actor playing him is killing it. Barrel scene with the orcs giving chase was VERY well done, with Bombur having his moment of glory in a very fun way. Found Bard and Laketown to be a bit meh. They did get over that the town is downtrodden, but they seemed to rush through Bard's introduction to when The Master accepted Thorin and his company. Admittedly, I was kind of wanting the dwarves to get to Erebor at this point, so it's forgiven.

At this point, I feel mostly entertained. The balance between action and silliness seemed a lot better in this movie than the first, but I also enjoyed the first more than most it would seem. I'm one of those that found much more enjoyment out of The Hobbit book over the Lord of the Rings series and it's carrying over here. Two complaints: 1. the movie was kind of dark in a visual sense. I don't know if it was the 3D glasses or what, but I found it a bit of a challenge to make out everyone at times. 2. Legolas did nothing for me. I know he was a bit of an uptight ##### before the LotR, but he was just very wooden to me. Now, as for Lilly's character, I was pleasantly surprised how likable she was. I was expecting an Arwen clone (didn't really care for Liv Tyler's performance), but I thought Lilly did a good job and actually connected with me far better than she ever did in Lost.

Ok, the reason I paused there to give my thoughts was because I wanted to give the final part of the movie its just due. Man, oh freaking man, Smaug was just too awesome for words. The battle of wits with him and Bilbo was, to me, more engaging than Bilbo's battle of wits with Gollum. I don't know if it was because I knew what to expect with Gollum or what, but Smaug easily goes on the Mt. Rushmore of movie dragons. Voiced superbly and visually stunning. It only got better when the dwarves were added to the mix and Smaug got his gold bath. Movie ends with Smaug emerging from the front gate and ready to barbecue Laketown. Good stopping point and about what I expected.

Overall, damn solid movie and probably better without 3D due to the lighting. Smaug is an all-timer, Bilbo's character growth continues to shine...oh, I almost forgot. Sauron/Necromancer was SCARY AS HELL. When all that goes down in the next movie, as Doc Brown once said in Back to the Future "you're going to see some serious ####". Highly recommend, and if you thought Hobbit 1 was slow, you'll be redeemed in this one. If you still think it's too slow, then go watch Transformers, you dolt.
Apologies, but I get a little loopy when I'm sleep-deprived. Good night all.

Verdict on The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug: A-. Critics of the first Hobbit will find Hobbit 2 better. Had a very Two Towers feel to it. For a more detailed and SPOILER review, click on comments below.

The Hobbit 2 picks up right where the first one left off, with the dwarves on the run from The Defiler's band of merry orcs. Oh, and there's a bear too. Beorn, aka the skin changer, is a pretty surly fellow who makes the dwarves look like Smurfs. Mirkwood Forest made Fangorn Forest look like Kokiri Forest from Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I can already hear you screaming STOP WITH THE NERD REFERENCES THAT ONLY TWO OF YOUR FRIENDS WILL GET). The scenes with Bilbo in the forest are plenty suspenseful and frightening enough, partially because spiders give me a case of the ickys. Like the Lord of the Rings, I found the whole "heroes in the company/captivity of the elves" part to drag a bit, but they made up for it with the barrels and my favorite dwarf Kili's interactions with Evangeline Lilly's wood elf character (more on her in a bit). Kili is so damn likable and is my favorite dwarf behind Balin. Loved him in the book, too, so it's good to see Peter Jackson giving him his due, and the actor playing him is killing it. Barrel scene with the orcs giving chase was VERY well done, with Bombur having his moment of glory in a very fun way. Found Bard and Laketown to be a bit meh. They did get over that the town is downtrodden, but they seemed to rush through Bard's introduction to when The Master accepted Thorin and his company. Admittedly, I was kind of wanting the dwarves to get to Erebor at this point, so it's forgiven.

At this point, I feel mostly entertained. The balance between action and silliness seemed a lot better in this movie than the first, but I also enjoyed the first more than most it would seem. I'm one of those that found much more enjoyment out of The Hobbit book over the Lord of the Rings series and it's carrying over here. Two complaints: 1. the movie was kind of dark in a visual sense. I don't know if it was the 3D glasses or what, but I found it a bit of a challenge to make out everyone at times. 2. Legolas did nothing for me. I know he was a bit of an uptight ##### before the LotR, but he was just very wooden to me. Now, as for Lilly's character, I was pleasantly surprised how likable she was. I was expecting an Arwen clone (didn't really care for Liv Tyler's performance), but I thought Lilly did a good job and actually connected with me far better than she ever did in Lost.

Ok, the reason I paused there to give my thoughts was because I wanted to give the final part of the movie its just due. Man, oh freaking man, Smaug was just too awesome for words. The battle of wits with him and Bilbo was, to me, more engaging than Bilbo's battle of wits with Gollum. I don't know if it was because I knew what to expect with Gollum or what, but Smaug easily goes on the Mt. Rushmore of movie dragons. Voiced superbly and visually stunning. It only got better when the dwarves were added to the mix and Smaug got his gold bath. Movie ends with Smaug emerging from the front gate and ready to barbecue Laketown. Good stopping point and about what I expected.

Overall, damn solid movie and probably better without 3D due to the lighting. Smaug is an all-timer, Bilbo's character growth continues to shine...oh, I almost forgot. Sauron/Necromancer was SCARY AS HELL. When all that goes down in the next movie, as Doc Brown once said in Back to the Future "you're going to see some serious ####". Highly recommend, and if you thought Hobbit 1 was slow, you'll be redeemed in this one. If you still think it's too slow, then go watch Transformers, you dolt.
Apologies, but I get a little loopy when I'm sleep-deprived. Good night all.

Awesome. I won't read the spoiler review until I see it tonight. Thanks for posting the general judgement.

Just got back from the theaters. All 6 of us loved it and every person who went rated it higher than the first movie. Here are my thoughts in spoiler form

*Earliest director cameo ever :)

*No songs

*Cumberbatch was great as Smaug, and the dragon design itself was gorgeous

*Loved the visions Gandalf had when meeting the necromancer of him being envisioned as the eye and in body form simultaneously

*I was worried the barrel scene was going to be too comedic from the trailers but it came off quite well. Bombur got the biggest reaction from our audience :)

*Bilbo had much less screen time but his acting with Smaug was a highlight of the film.

Just got back from the theaters. All 6 of us loved it and every person who went rated it higher than the first movie. Here are my thoughts in spoiler form

*Earliest director cameo ever :)

*No songs

*Cumberbatch was great as Smaug, and the dragon design itself was gorgeous

*Loved the visions Gandalf had when meeting the necromancer of him being envisioned as the eye and in body form simultaneously

*I was worried the barrel scene was going to be too comedic from the trailers but it came off quite well. Bombur got the biggest reaction from our audience :)

*Bilbo had much less screen time but his acting with Smaug was a highlight of the film.
Agreed on all counts, especially...

Bombur. Theater went nuts for his barrel antics. In fact, he and Kili's antics with the elves got the biggest reactions.

I enjoyed this. The dragon was well done - the look, the voice. Only thing that hit me half way through was I needed to forget I ever read the book, since the movie went way off. Even more so than the first and any of the LOTR movies.

I enjoyed this. The dragon was well done - the look, the voice. Only thing that hit me half way through was I needed to forget I ever read the book, since the movie went way off. Even more so than the first and any of the LOTR movies.
yeah I think this was to be expected. It is almost impossible to have a near 9 hours movie on a 300 page book with out making additions. I knew this going in so I did my best to simply separate the book from the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread