What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning vs. Rex Grossman (1 Viewer)

UrlacherIsGod!

Footballguy
Grossman may not be the next Jim McMahon by any means. However, let's look at the playoff stats up to this point:

Passing Yards:

Manning 787 on 115 attempts (6.84 yds/att)

Grossman 426 on 64 attempts (6.66 yds/att)

Passing TDs:

Manning: 2

Grossman: 2

Passing INTs:

Manning: 6

Grossman: 1

Longest Pass:

Manning: 52 yards

Grossman: 68 yards

Passer Rating:

Manning: 66.8

Grossman: 75.4

No, Grossman is nothing to brag about. However, he has gotten the job done for Chicago. Only 1 INT in the past 2 games. Manning (on the other hand) has stunk it up in the playoffs, as usual. I don't see how "Playoff" Manning is any better than Grossman. Look at the numbers folks (it's not everyday I can brag about stats like this).

With twice as many attempts for Manning as Grossman has had, it's also no mystery as to which team trusts its QB more. Have fun with your stats.

Difference is, Grossman was going against a Seattle D that featured Arena guys in the secondary and a Saints D featuring Fred f'n Thomas. Manning faced teams like the Ravens with Chris McCallister and the Pats with Asante Samuel. Big big difference.

Yes, Peyton and Rex are equally important to their respective offenses, and yes, they both run their offenses exactly the same way. BOTH of them have to carry their offense, neither one of them is turning around and handing the ball off 40 times a game. BOTH played the same levels of opposing defense. Ergo, whoever has the best stats, obviously is the better QB.

Excellent :tinfoilhat:

:goodposting: :o :hot: :hot:

I'm anxious to see all the Rex bashing in this thread. Even with the stats right in front of you, you still can't admit it. Some of you guys are just embarrassing yourselves over and over again. Oh well. Just more people to add to my ignore list. :D

I'm pretty sure no one cares what the stats are becaue everyone already knows that Peyton Manning is a much better QB than Grossman. Just because Manning isn't having a great post-season overall doesn't mean that Grossman's post-season has been good just because his stats are higher than Manning's.

Also, Peyton really raised his stock after the AFC title game, which, all things considered (playoffs, huge game, against rivals, sore thumb at one point, down by 18 points at one point) will possibly be remembered as one of his best performances of his career.

Wow, I never knew that Rex and Peyton versed one another on the field at the same time.

How about Urlacher vs. Manning?

or Freeney vs. John Tait?

The Bears are a TEAM. TEAMs win championships, not players.

Point in case the NFC Championship Game. WHO was the MVP? Nobody... the TEAM was.

Rex could have 27 TD's vs no INT's, 1000 yards passing, be 80 for 84 and have 200 yards rushing in the playoffs, and I'd still have to take the Colts.

The only way the Colts lose this game is if the Bears D plays their best game of the season. It's possible. They have the linebackers to cover the TE's, and the Dline to neutralize the run game, and get pressure on manning w/ a four man front. It comes down to, "does manning make a mistake or two, and can they capitalize?"

Grossman on the other hand was simply spectacular in the early going of the season. Then horrible. Then okay. If he returns to what he did early, we could have a shellacking by the NFC. The Bears were unbeatable. We've never seen Lovie in this situation. He did a heck of a job last week cooking up a game plan to shut down the Saints. Can he do it again? He's still, IMHO, a rather unknown entity, at least to me.

If the game comes to QB play, it's Colts all the way.

With twice as many attempts for Manning as Grossman has had, it's also no mystery as to which team trusts its QB more. Have fun with your stats.
Not that I think Grossman is better or anything, but that can also be twisted to say that the Bears trust their run game that much more than the Colts do.

:thumbup: :unsure: :shrug: :lmao: I'm anxious to see all the Rex bashing in this thread. Even with the stats right in front of you, you still can't admit it. Some of you guys are just embarrassing yourselves over and over again. Oh well. Just more people to add to my ignore list. :D
What a great idea! I'll just shift everyone to the ignore list who posts even the slightest difference in opinion. Pretty soon I'll have this place all to myself!

TannerBoyle said:
Another meaningless yet interesting stat (I think I got it right..if somebody cares enough they can double check)Grossman has started a total of 23 regular season games going back to 2003. Grossman in last 23 regular season starts: 17-6Manning in last 23 regular season starts: 17-6ETA:Grossman in the postseason: .666 winning percentageManning in the postseason: .450 winning percentage.Clearly Grossman is the superior QB here.
Are Grossman and Manning playing at the Australian Open or something? This is a team sport. If Bears fans truly believe that Grossman is even close to Manning in ability, God help you.

Yes, Peyton and Rex are equally important to their respective offenses, and yes, they both run their offenses exactly the same way. BOTH of them have to carry their offense, neither one of them is turning around and handing the ball off 40 times a game. BOTH played the same levels of opposing defense. Ergo, whoever has the best stats, obviously is the better QB. Excellent :shrug:
Also, they BOTH play for black coaches, and BOTH have TEs named D. Clark. :D

I wonder how much boot I will have to offer in a addition to Manning to get Rex Grossman in MOX 1? This thread has shown me the light :shrug:

3C said:
Difference is, Grossman was going against a Seattle D that featured Arena guys in the secondary and a Saints D featuring Fred f'n Thomas. Manning faced teams like the Ravens with Chris McCallister and the Pats with Asante Samuel. Big big difference.
:shrug:

TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:
Another meaningless yet interesting stat (I think I got it right..if somebody cares enough they can double check)

Grossman has started a total of 23 regular season games going back to 2003.

Grossman in last 23 regular season starts: 17-6

Manning in last 23 regular season starts: 17-6

ETA:

Grossman in the postseason: .666 winning percentage

Manning in the postseason: .450 winning percentage.

Clearly Grossman is the superior QB here.
Are Grossman and Manning playing at the Australian Open or something? This is a team sport. If Bears fans truly believe that Grossman is even close to Manning in ability, God help you.
I'm joking about the bolded. But thanks for bringing up the whole "team sport" thing...the Bears are obviously the better team. Forget about stats, ratings, rankings etc. I'll go ahead and throw Rex under the bus for a moment here. Chicago is 15-3 with sucky Grossman at the helm...last year they won 10 games with Orton at QB. Where would Indy be if Manning tripped over his dog and fell down the stairs?
:own3d: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.

TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:
Another meaningless yet interesting stat (I think I got it right..if somebody cares enough they can double check)

ETA:

I'm joking about the bolded. But thanks for bringing up the whole "team sport" thing...the Bears are obviously the better team. Forget about stats, ratings, rankings etc. I'll go ahead and throw Rex under the bus for a moment here. Chicago is 15-3 with sucky Grossman at the helm...last year they won 10 games with Orton at QB. Where would Indy be if Manning tripped over his dog and fell down the stairs?
:lmao: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.
Ah yes, the WRs are "far superior" than Harrison and WayneThe TE is "far superior" than Dallas Clark

The RBs are "far superior" than Addai/Rhodes

The kicker is "far superior" to Vinatieri

Kick return game and defense I will give you.

The rest is just you looking through rose colored glasses.

TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:

ETA:

:confused: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.
Ah yes, the WRs are "far superior" than Harrison and WayneThe TE is "far superior" than Dallas Clark

WR they have a big advantage.TE is a push. Desmond is a solid TE, and Dallas Clark isn't anything special.

Jones/Benson are far superior to Addai/Rhodes, no question about it. If you put the Bears RB's on the Colts team and vice versa, the difference would be astonishing.

Kicker is a slight edge to Indy, but with how Gould have performed this season it's mininal.

Again, I repeat, the Bears team outside of the QB position is far superior. Superiority at the WR position isn't enough to compensate for all of the areas the Bears kick their ###.

flapgreen said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I'm anxious to see all the Rex bashing in this thread. Even with the stats right in front of you, you still can't admit it. Some of you guys are just embarrassing yourselves over and over again. Oh well. Just more people to add to my ignore list. :D
Rex Grossman is by far the weakest element of either team, at the worst possible position in which to have a weak element. The stats don't even begin to illustrate this as much as they should - from what I've seen of him (and it's been too much already), I'd be surprised if he's starting in the NFL in two years. But one of my favorites is, the Bears had by far the lowest strength of schedule this year at .430, the next closest team - the Seattle Seahawks at .453. The colts faced a .500 schedule strength. Rex has put up his "stats" against the weakest compitition of any QB in the NFL. He still finished about 21st in passer rating among full time NFL starters. Manning was of course #1 at 101.0. Playoff strength of opponents so far: Chicago .590, Indy .710The good news for Rexy is the Colts defense wasn't so hot during the regular season. The bad news is it'll probably be the toughest he'll face in the playoffs and is one which has already had success in shutting down the other teams' running games and forcing the QB to beat them. So far Trent Green, Steve McNair and Tom Brady have all failed at that.I think Rex is going to suck it, and suck it hard. And I think it'll cost the Bears the Championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:

ETA:

:lmao: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.

WR they have a big advantage.TE is a push. Desmond is a solid TE, and Dallas Clark isn't anything special.

Jones/Benson are far superior to Addai/Rhodes, no question about it. If you put the Bears RB's on the Colts team and vice versa, the difference would be astonishing.

Kicker is a slight edge to Indy, but with how Gould have performed this season it's mininal.

Again, I repeat, the Bears team outside of the QB position is far superior. Superiority at the WR position isn't enough to compensate for all of the areas the Bears kick their ###.
Really, I mean for a team that tied Indy for #2 scoring in the league, here are the stats I found on NFL.comAddai/Rhodes rushing 1722/12

Jones/Benson rushing 1857/12

Addai/Rhodes rec. 576/1

Jones/Benson rec. 208/0

Looks like advantage Addai/Rhodes to me?!

Desmond Clark 16 games 626/6

Dallas Clark 12 games 367/4

Seems a push.

And outside of Colts and Bears fans, my guess is 90% would take Vinatieri.

So, outside of a big advantage to Hester, and a fair advantage to the Bears defense, I'd say you were way off base to say the Bears kick the Colts ###es in all other areas.

I'm sorry for basing my opinion on facts.

TannerBoyle said:
TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:

ETA:

:goodposting: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.

You're right. No way can Berrian cover Harrison. I also don't think Desmond Clark is going to be able to keep up with Dallas Clark. And Vinatieri will probably be able to kick the ball through the uprights before Gould can. But I do wonder if Addai is going to be able to tackle Ced Benson.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

TannerBoyle said:
TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:

ETA:

:goodposting: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.

You're right. No way can Berrian cover Harrison. I also don't think Desmond Clark is going to be able to keep up with Dallas Clark. And Vinatieri will probably be able to kick the ball through the uprights before Gould can. But I do wonder if Addai is going to be able to tackle Ced Benson.
Was that really that funny to you?

I know this thread is a joke but I thought this was interesting. Footballoutsiders.com does some interesting stuff and they have an interesting stat called DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average QB in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance.

It turns out that Manning is #1 (58.0%) by a HUGE margin while Grossman is ranked 33rd (-11.2%). Simplistically he does 11% worse than the average QB in the same game situations adjusted for defensive strength. Not good.

The only thing dumber than the suggestion that Rex is as good a QB as Manning, is arguing about whether Rex is as good a QB as Manning.

TannerBoyle said:
TannerBoyle said:
pizzatyme said:
TannerBoyle said:

ETA:

:thumbup: Outside of the QB position, the Bears team is far superior to the Colts team.

Was that really that funny to you?
I didn't think it was very funny nor do I think it's relevant to this topic :D

Users who are viewing this thread