What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Picking up players if you're out of the playoffs (1 Viewer)

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed
Jerk move or not: picking up players if you are eliminated from the playoffs? We keep one player but the player picked up has no shot of getting kept.

In my particular case, a 4 win team decided to pick up Hightower for no reason other than the fact that I'm playing his brother in the playoffs this week and i could really use him.

Yeah,i know, point to the shirt, Hightower was picked up in your league 3 weeks ago and what kind of league still has Hightower on the WW. It's still annoying.

It's a Richard move and in the one league I commission I don't allow it.

But I've been in others where this happens. In leagues where I'm eliminated I never do this. Have some class.

If you are not officially eliminated it is OK. If you are eliminated, you do not make any moves from that point on.

It's a Richard move and in the one league I commission I don't allow it.

But I've been in others where this happens. In leagues where I'm eliminated I never do this. Have some class.
I didn't want to completely disallow pickups in the playoffs because there could be legit keepers dropped that can help. For example, Rawls was dropped and a team picked him up purely because he could be his keeper if lynch is cut. That's legit,

It's mostly an unwritten rule that toilet bowl teams wait till waivers runs to pick guys up for their matchups. However our total points for the year is 16 weeks. So if a guy has a legit shot at it but is out, I'm not going to stop them.

In dynasty it happens and then people like me who are in semis and lost Bell Charlws Rawls trade a late 2nd round pick for someone to help

i'll grab top waiver wire defenses and kickers after i'm eliminated just to block the playoff teams that didn't prep well. then drop them right after kickoff.

Jerk move or not: picking up players if you are eliminated from the playoffs? We keep one player but the player picked up has no shot of getting kept.

In my particular case, a 4 win team decided to pick up Hightower for no reason other than the fact that I'm playing his brother in the playoffs this week and i could really use him.

Yeah,i know, point to the shirt, Hightower was picked up in your league 3 weeks ago and what kind of league still has Hightower on the WW. It's still annoying.
I don't get the issue here. Just because I've been eliminated doesn't mean the team I'm playing against has. Don't I owe it to the league as a whole to keep my team as competitive as possible all the way to the end? makes no sense to handicap bad teams further by not letting them make moves. That's the one time when I would just stop checking the league once I was out of the playoff race.

We allow it in our re-draft league because we pay out high weekly points all 17 weeks, high points on the year, and single highest week of the year. We do this to keep people engaged all year and to allow more people a chance to win a little something.

I always thought that it's every team's job to keep their respective teams as competitive as possible all the way to the end too. I'm making moves while trying to win my consolation bracket...

We have six teams make the playoffs, the other six are in the running for the turd bowl, the winner of which gets the first pick next year. Once playoffs start only playoff teams can make any ww or fa moves.

We have six teams make the playoffs, the other six are in the running for the turd bowl, the winner of which gets the first pick next year. Once playoffs start only playoff teams can make any ww or fa moves.
I would not appreciate or stay long in a league where competition for the top pick was intentionally hobbled. If there's a consolation bracket, try to win it.

IMO, if you don't want the teams that are out making moves, don't schedule them for games.

I think if there are toilet bowl games or side bets to be played....have at it. It keeps the waiver pool more true to normal weeks and if it makes less ww darlings to help you win your playoff match-up, well so be it. You should have saved your waiver or built better depth.

If you're making moves to help another team, it's collusion and should be stopped. Basically he admitted to collusion. Either accept it as part of the challenge of being in a friends and family league, or set a rule for next year.

SOLUTION IS:

A) if your league doesn't charge for transactions during the regular season, then allow transaction but charge everyone a fee during the playoffs. This deters shenanigans but still allows for serious inquiries.

OR

B) if your League charges, then simply increase the fee.

The league I commish charges $3 per transaction during the reg season. For the playoffs, each team gets only 2 post seasons moves but they cost the owner $6 EACH. Because of this we've never had a problem.

In our keeper league, once you're eliminated from playoff contention before the end of the FF regular season, you move to the end of the line in waiver claims.

Also, a player can't be kept if picked up after the beginning of week 11 (the trade deadline) and we freeze all rosters at the beginning of the playoffs to prevent these kinds of shenanigans from happening.

If you're making moves to help another team, it's collusion and should be stopped. Basically he admitted to collusion. Either accept it as part of the challenge of being in a friends and family league, or set a rule for next year.
Best answer. If you're sure that an eliminated team picked up a player for the sole purpose of keeping you from using said player against his brother, then that is clear collusion and should be addressed by the commissioner.

Going off of the assumption that the guy has no more games to play, it's a jerk move that shouldn't be allowed.

However, if there are weekly prizes, a toilet bowl, or anything else going on where he still submits a lineup that counts in some way, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Someone above said they pick up defesnes just to screw with playoff teams....that's beyond sad and should absolutely result in a dismissal from the league.

CBS allows the commissioner to turn off permissions for individual owners. If you use CBS, turn off transactions for teams that have been eliminated.

Why stop eliminated teams from picking up players? Let everyone play each week to win. The playoff teams are not more entitled to first dibs on waiver picks just because they are in the playoffs. Not a jerk move if a team is playing to win, even if only for pride. It also keeps the waiver wire balanced as it is all year. I personally will play competitive lineups every week until the very last game even in a no-money consolation bracket.

I always thought that it's every team's job to keep their respective teams as competitive as possible all the way to the end too. I'm making moves while trying to win my consolation bracket...

I don't get the issue here. Just because I've been eliminated doesn't mean the team I'm playing against has. Don't I owe it to the league as a whole to keep my team as competitive as possible all the way to the end? makes no sense to handicap bad teams further by not letting them make moves. That's the one time when I would just stop checking the league once I was out of the playoff race.
I don't think you're understanding OP correctly, or maybe I'm not. Yes, if you're still PLAYING games against someone that COUNT, even if you are eliminated the expectation is to keep grabbing waiver guys and be competitive. I think he is saying that this guy is eliminated, there's no consolation playoff worth anything, and he isn't even starting a lineup this week but grabbed Hightower anyways. If this move happened during the regular season then yes, its totally allowed even if he's eliminated. I think this other guy doesn't have an opponent this week though.

Even if my team isn't in the playoffs I don't like to lose. That being said I make all roster moves/FA pickups on Sunday. If a playoff team hasn't made their move by then, than tough $#!?

I'm out in one league but still adding players. It's a keeper league, so why not. If there's nothing in the rules against it, I don't see an issue.

Keeper league is perfectly fine. If not a keeper league as a player why can't you appeal to the commish and call collusion and get it overturned? Next year create a rule regarding it.

This.

Assuming that there truly is nothing to gain for him or his team... this is at best stooping pretty low.

If there is credible "evidence" that the move was made to aid the owner's brother, this is collusion and should be dealt with accordingly.

I'm the commish in my league in a 3 keeper league. I have it set where if you dont make the playoffs, you're done. No transactions. Anyone you had on your roster by the end of week 13 is a potential keeper and that's that. If you make the playoffs, your week 13 roster is who is available to keep. If you drop a guy, he's no longer eligible. If you add a guy, he's not eligible to keep either.

I guess if I had a toilet bowl tourney, things would be different. But it's easy this way and nobody has complained (it's been 4 years)

I don't think you're understanding OP correctly, or maybe I'm not. Yes, if you're still PLAYING games against someone that COUNT, even if you are eliminated the expectation is to keep grabbing waiver guys and be competitive. I think he is saying that this guy is eliminated, there's no consolation playoff worth anything, and he isn't even starting a lineup this week but grabbed Hightower anyways. If this move happened during the regular season then yes, its totally allowed even if he's eliminated. I think this other guy doesn't have an opponent this week though.
You read correctly. The person who picked up Hightower isn't playing for anything.

Keeper league is perfectly fine. If not a keeper league as a player why can't you appeal to the commish and call collusion and get it overturned? Next year create a rule regarding it.
I'm the commish, so I'm kind of treading lightly here. The guy I'm playing is a good friend, his brother.....not so much. I don't believe my friend told his brother to make the move, but I have zero doubt the brother did it just to be a Richard, that's just how he's wired.

I would not appreciate or stay long in a league where competition for the top pick was intentionally hobbled. If there's a consolation bracket, try to win it.

IMO, if you don't want the teams that are out making moves, don't schedule them for games.
fair enough. FWIW, the league voted on it and unanimously went this way.

I think everyone's various league configurations are confusing an otherwise simple question.

If your season is over (by whatever definition of "over" applies to your league), you stop playing.

I'm playing in the toilet bowl in one league and I picked up Denard Robinson on waivers. We are playing for draft position, so it still matters.

Even if my team isn't in the playoffs I don't like to lose. That being said I make all roster moves/FA pickups on Sunday. If a playoff team hasn't made their move by then, than tough $#!?
Yeah, that's my attitude, too. Even then, I'll only make the moves necessary to field a complete line-up. So I'll grab a replacement for Hoyer before my Sunday consolation match, since he's my only QB, but not for Stewart, since I have other RBs on my bench.

In my 14 team league we all have side bets with each other. So every team competes all year long and drops and adds players as need be,

In the league I commish, I reset the waiver order each round of the playoffs. Eliminated teams are moved to the bottom of the wire. The relative position of the teams still competing (Championship and Toilet Bowl brackets) is unchanged. This generally avoids any tampering by the eliminated teams.

This is redraft only.

Our league has a weekly payout for top score, and everyone is eligible. Keeps people interested even when they're out of the playoff hunt.

Also, the winner of the toilet bowl gets an extra $5 in waiver money the following season.

I think it's a good thing unless it's clearly done as part of some collusion - better that teams stay interested and try to be competitive than the more frequent opposite case where teams out of it just give up and don't pay attention.

CBS allows the commissioner to turn off permissions for individual owners. If you use CBS, turn off transactions for teams that have been eliminated.
That's what we do for the first waiver run. Toilet bowl or third place game teams can partake after that.It's fair to all involved.

In dynasty it happens and then people like me who are in semis and lost Bell Charlws Rawls trade a late 2nd round pick for someone to help
Absolutely, dynasty never stops. Not redraft though.
Actually we had this in dynasty in our league. Team out of it picks up Hightower. A few other teams with better waiver spots got the crappy but starting QBs so that the guy who just lost Dalton (and has Luck as his other QB) has no options this week in the semis. I thought it was funny.

This just happened in a league I'm playing my first year with. There was a kerfuffle earlier with a trade attempted after the deadline (which wasn't set on the site) and the commish overturning it.

Anyways, 4 eliminated teams playing for nothing and with no keepers... picked up players.

I won't be back next year. I'd already determined that. I'm kinda pissed because some of my targets were snatched by people no longer competing.

I think everyone's various league configurations are confusing an otherwise simple question.

If your season is over (by whatever definition of "over" applies to your league), you stop playing.
exactly. And DH has explained more clearly now, that this guys season is OVER. He has no consolation, no prize, no total points, literally isn't even matched up next to anyone on the website that he can make a side bet with. He picked him up for NO reason.

I'd say this is collusion and you should ask him why he picked him up. If his answer is to help his brother, you can reverse it or kick him out. If his answer is.... well... I don't even know what his answer could be that would make this not cheating.

If you are playing a game (even for pride) or can keep the player next year then you should still get a shot at the players.

If you have been eliminated or can't keep the player then it is a total low-class move and should be in the rules to prevent.

I got burned by a couple of toilet bowl teams this week. But they are playing for something.

The OP sounds like it is not against the rules and the transaction needs to stand. In the off-season introduce a rule.

Users who are viewing this thread