What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pierre Garcon anyone ? (1 Viewer)

Looks polished, Outside Wayne, Clark Garcon might be next in line to benefit from da Manning

Pierre is 6" tall just like Marvin seems to be running just like him. They look alike too

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3514

http://www.myfantasyleague.com/player_photos/9250_thumb.jpg

874.jpg

2nd td in a row both, both long yardage. I got em you should too, thanks to threads earlier in the year
It is looking like Garcon is doing well. This week and last week he scored and he is earning Manning's trust. Collie is also getting some looks and he should not be forgotten.

any chance he holds on to that spot when gonzalez comes back?
I doubt it, but a good showing now will definitely stand him in good stead going forward. Indy's perfectly capable of supporting 3 fantasy-viable receivers. It looks like all three spots are locked up for the next few years by Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark... but this is the NFL. Things change fast.

He made one really good play but I am not convinced he is the next Harrison and he has to do more to prove that he has long term potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks better than Gonzo.
Don't know about that. Gonzo had a 72% catch rate last season, and was an incredibly reliable target in tight situations. There wasn't anything all that flashy about what he did, but it was extremely effective, and you can bet that Peyton Manning took notice.

Don't know about that. Gonzo had a 72% catch rate last season, and was an incredibly reliable target in tight situations. There wasn't anything all that flashy about what he did, but it was extremely effective, and you can bet that Peyton Manning took notice.
since you mention it we could track Pierre's catch rate as well. I still cant believe there are two Pierres in the league worth monitoring

let me add that in 2WR sets, gonzo starts . . . and in 3WR sets (where Clark is an inline TE), Gonzo moves to the slot . . .

Tempted to get him off our WW, but there is still to may hands in the Colts WR/TE to feed.

Could drop Royal for him though...

When agonz comes back I think he goes to the slot and Pierre stays outside
Agree 100%.I think this has been in the works for a while (pending Garcon's performance of course).A Gonzo has always looked like a prototypical slot guy to me.There's a reason Polian picked a Division 3 guy when all of his other offensive skill position guys come from big schools (Tennessee, Ohio State, Iowa, Miami, Syracuse etc). The kid has real talent; strong and very fast.

Wouldn't be surprised, Gonzales is better in the slot, as opposed to being outside. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see Garcon's numbers drop when Gonzales returns, as Manning will target Gonzales more than he's using their third WR currently.

switz said:
Wouldn't be surprised, Gonzales is better in the slot, as opposed to being outside. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see Garcon's numbers drop when Gonzales returns, as Manning will target Gonzales more than he's using their third WR currently.
This situation is like the Saints. That offense has so many weapons. I think they could have put up 50 yesterday. I think no matter what, you will see 2 bombs to Garcon a game. Chances are good he catches at least 1 of them.

switz said:
In the pre-season they gave Garcon the chance to win the starting job and move Gonzo to the slot but Garcon had a bad pre-season due to drops while Collie looked pretty good. So to start the season Gonzo was the starting wideout, Collie was the slot, and Garcon was really due to receive very little playing time except in 4 WR formations which the Colts don't run a lot due to Dallas Clark.If Garcon keeps it up, and I think he will, I do think they will revisit the plan and move Gonzo to the slot. Garcon is a great weapon because he might be the best run after the catch WR Peyton has had to work with. Also keep in mind it's highly possible Gonzo is not able to be 100% this season. His injury is similar, but more severe, than the one Sidney Rice suffered last season and Rice was never able to get well.

If the Colts are lining up Wayne, Clark, Gonzo and Garcon it's going to be a fantasy festival for Peyton but I think we'd see a slight dip in Wayne and Clark's numbers and Gonzo and Garcon's numbers would be erratic. Last year when Gonzo worked out of the slot he saw less than 5 targets a game while the clearly inferior Marvin Harrison saw just over 7 targets a game at the wideout spot.

Either way I'd gobble up Garcon if you can because I don't think Gonzo's return is looking like 4 more weeks minimum but possibly as much as 6 more weeks and even than his health is not guaranteed and the Colts schedule is fantastic.

Garcon seems like the most physical WR the Colts have had in the Manning era. He's a beast on those screens. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few of those a game now, which would really boost him up even more in PPR leagues.

But is Hank baskett going to start getting time and take away some red zone looks at least?

The colts are 3-0 but haven't looked good doing it IMO.

But is Hank baskett going to start getting time and take away some red zone looks at least? The colts are 3-0 but haven't looked good doing it IMO.
has Baskett even been active? he even admitted that his head is explodiing from all the info he is trying to remember . . .you know Manning likes to be on the same page with receivers . . .I doubt if this guy is a factor (barrinj another injury) . . .

Garcon had 5 targets last night. If he can get that number up to 7-8, I think he becomes a more viable #3 or flex play. His role should continue to increase as he gets more familiar with the offense.

Announcers called him a bigger faster Reggie Wayne.

Dynasty owners should have added him a long time ago.

Reggie Wayne - 30

Pierre Garcon - 23

Announcers called him a bigger faster Reggie Wayne.Dynasty owners should have added him a long time ago.Reggie Wayne - 30Pierre Garcon - 23
The problem with Garcon is that Wayne has 4+ years left as a high-quality starter and Gonzo's only 25. Heck, even Dallas Clark has at least two years left in him based on positional trends. There are a lot of mouths to feed in Indy, and it'll be a long time before that starts thinning out. He's still a great add (as you can see, I've already got him rostered), but unless he makes a big enough impression in the next 4 weeks to make serious inroads, he could easily languish for 4 years before getting a shot to make some fantasy noise. If you think he's a Reggie Wayne level talent, then that's not a real issue. If you think he's just a pretty good WR, that's a big problem.

He made one really good play but I am not convinced he is the next Harrison and he has to do more to prove that he has long term potential.
I agree he had 1 big play in both games .he looks ok but sure not gonna rush out and trade the farm on him. He is what chris henry was to palmer a few years back. when Gonzo comes back in a few weeks Carcon will be forgotton. Dont trade your team away for a couple week player...

Also read a fluff piece about Manning and Gonzalez spending time on reads and doing reps in the offseason. I don't think Peyton forgets about him.

Can anyone remember a single play by at the NFL level by Gonzalez that made you sit up and say "wow!"

Garcon has three or four in a dozen touches this year.

ETA: I'm not dumping on A Gonz - he's a nice complementary player. But he's not the sort of guy that could keep a talented player on the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quotes from Colts President Bill Polian on Garcon yesterday on his weekly radio show:

"When I saw him in the first workouts of the offseason program (this past offseason) and I saw how much he had grown up in terms of physical growth, I was astounded," Polian said Monday on his weekly radio show on Hank FM 97.1 in Indianapolis.

"It has turned out to be translatable to the game field. He's a man now, not a boy coming out of college, and he's able to make plays out there with both his strength and his speed. The graph is all up for him."

Garcon, after playing sparingly last season as a rookie, has emerged as one of the rising stars of the Colts' offense, starting the past two games and catching a crucial touchdown in each game. His 48-yard catch-and-run with a quick screen pass from QB Peyton Manning provided the game-winning points in a 27-23 victory over Miami on September 21.

Then, this past Sunday, Garcon again showed his deep speed, catching a 53-yard touchdown pass from Manning that broke open a 31-10 victory over Arizona.

"You would think most people would recognize that the speed that he ran at his workout is the correct speed," Polian said. "Somehow or another, those things tend to get lost in translation, I think. He is so big that he can fool you to a certain extent in that most people don't expect him to be that fast. He does run fast and most importantly he has a burst at the end of his route, which is rare among receivers and certainly rare among big receivers. "

"That burst, which is what (former Colts wide receiver) Marvin (Harrison) had, allows you to get big plays. Because as the ball is out there and the defensive back and you are step for step if you can just get that one and a half steps at the end of the route and have good enough hands to control the ball – which he does – then you're going to get a lot of big plays."
LINK

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. I said it before the season started, I'll say it again now. Garcon is a better WR on the outside than Gonzo. Ultimately, we'll see that Collie is better than Gonzo on the inside.

Like WDCROB said above, Gonzo doesn't wow you. He is steady but I don't think he can consistently beat the #2 DB.

For those worried about touches, I could see a scenario like in 2004 where the Colts use Gonzo and Clark as part of the "rushing" attack with short passes. In that season, the Colts had 3 1000/10 TD receivers.

The Colts continue to struggle with run blocking. As the season moves along, I think we'll see even more of D. Brown in there breaking off long runs due to the passing threat. That is the Colts best plan of attack.

Any timeline on Gonzo's recovery? When is he expected back? The longer he is out, the more time Pierre has to prove himself in the offense.

wdcrob said:
Can anyone remember a single play by at the NFL level by Gonzalez that made you sit up and say "wow!"Garcon has three or four in a dozen touches this year. ETA: I'm not dumping on A Gonz - he's a nice complementary player. But he's not the sort of guy that could keep a talented player on the bench.
Like I said, there's nothing flashy about Anthony Gonzalez... but he's incredibly effective. I can't remember a single play by Wes Welker that has wowed me, and I'd say the same thing about Brandon Stokley if not for the immaculate deflection. Getting hung up on "wow factor" plays is the reason why fantasy footballers become convinced that Chris Chambers and Brandon Lloyd are absolute studs. As a WR, it's far more important to routinely make the routine plays than it is to occasionally make the impossible plays.

wdcrob said:
Can anyone remember a single play by at the NFL level by Gonzalez that made you sit up and say "wow!"Garcon has three or four in a dozen touches this year. ETA: I'm not dumping on A Gonz - he's a nice complementary player. But he's not the sort of guy that could keep a talented player on the bench.
Like I said, there's nothing flashy about Anthony Gonzalez... but he's incredibly effective. I can't remember a single play by Wes Welker that has wowed me, and I'd say the same thing about Brandon Stokley if not for the immaculate deflection. Getting hung up on "wow factor" plays is the reason why fantasy footballers become convinced that Chris Chambers and Brandon Lloyd are absolute studs. As a WR, it's far more important to routinely make the routine plays than it is to occasionally make the impossible plays.
If I am a QB, I want the guy will take the guy who makes 5-8 grabs a game to move the chains....over a guy who makes 0-1 plays a game that make you go wow......Wes Welker is great comparable.....

wdcrob said:
If I am a QB, I want the guy will take the guy who makes 5-8 grabs a game to move the chains....over a guy who makes 0-1 plays a game that make you go wow......Wes Welker is great comparable.....
Except that Welker is more reliable - faster, shiftier, better hands - than Gonzalez.

But is Hank baskett going to start getting time and take away some red zone looks at least? The colts are 3-0 but haven't looked good doing it IMO.
has Baskett even been active? he even admitted that his head is explodiing from all the info he is trying to remember . . .you know Manning likes to be on the same page with receivers . . .I doubt if this guy is a factor (barrinj another injury) . . .
I think he was active this week. Nobody expected him to play a real role just yet. Garcon might keep him on the bench, but he still is a decent WR threat IMO.

wdcrob said:
Except that Welker is more reliable - faster, shiftier, better hands - than Gonzalez.
Not saying Gonzo is better than Welker...just the same type of receiver and you need both....the reliable guy to move the chains and the home run threat...

wdcrob said:
I go the other way on this. I actually think he's shown decent burst and big play ability but what I think he's not done is consistently make the routine plays. IMO he drops to many passes to be considered reliable. His target catch percentage is quite high but I think that's more of function of the coverage he saw. The drops on the other hand saw him tied for 14th in the NFL last year which is extremely high considering he only got 79 targets. The 11 WR's who had more drops than him saw more targets with all but one of them, Colston, getting over 100 targets.

wdcrob said:
I go the other way on this. I actually think he's shown decent burst and big play ability but what I think he's not done is consistently make the routine plays. IMO he drops to many passes to be considered reliable. His target catch percentage is quite high but I think that's more of function of the coverage he saw. The drops on the other hand saw him tied for 14th in the NFL last year which is extremely high considering he only got 79 targets. The 11 WR's who had more drops than him saw more targets with all but one of them, Colston, getting over 100 targets.
This has been my impression as well. Never felt that hes been overly impressive in the reliability department. Nice statistic - thanks.

wdcrob said:
Can anyone remember a single play by at the NFL level by Gonzalez that made you sit up and say "wow!"

Garcon has three or four in a dozen touches this year.

ETA: I'm not dumping on A Gonz - he's a nice complementary player. But he's not the sort of guy that could keep a talented player on the bench.
I was at the Vikings / Colts game last year in Minnesota and AG went 9/137 and had about a 60 catch with a long run after the catch, then lateraled the ball to Wayne who took it to the 1. That was certainly a wow play. AG has enough speed, runs great routes, and has sure hands. Having said that, I believe if Garcon keeps doing what he's doing Gonzalez will most likely go back to the slot when he's healthy. I didn't say this after the awful preseason Garcon had with drops, but my opinion of him has changed.

wdcrob said:
Haha... said like a true Pats fan LOL.

I watch Welker and think wow on every route. The guy is impossible to cover.

The problem for Gonzalez is that he does everything ok, but nothing really well. He's not much of a deep threat, he doesn't have size or great speed, and he's not insanely quick in short space like Welker.

Like I said... good guy to have on your team, nice piece to be able to plug in - but hardly the kind of talent that keeps a potential star riding the pine.

Haha... said like a true Pats fan LOL.
Sorry SWitz, but I'm a true Colts fan and I agree 100% with the assessment. Welker is better than Gonzo.

Users who are viewing this thread