What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Edgerrin James (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2007 Player Spotlight Series

Over the course of the offseason, we will be evaluating a multitude of players at every fantasy position. One such way we go about that is through the Player Spotlight series. Think of the Spotlights as a permanent record on some of the more intriguing players for the upcoming season. Each Spotlight will be featured in an article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Edgerrin James, RB, Arizona Cardinals

Player Page Link: Edgerrin James Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide sustainable value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsBest of Luck and ENJOY!

Improved a bit in the 2nd half last year. That means IMO that Arizona was trying to get him running lanes. The addition of Whisenhunt and Grimm (2 offensive minded coaches who love to run the ball in the trenches) is nothing but good news for him. That being said this is still a poor offensive line so I expect him to get a ton of carries with a poor ypc. He should get double digit TDs and a lot of carries so I expect him to improve on last years numbers and he will be great value as a RB2.

340 att, 1200 yds, 10 tds, 40 rec, 300 yds, 0 tds

Edge's TDs were flukishly low last season. The Cardinals were effective running the ball in the red zone, but it just so happened that after long drives Edge would wear down at the goal line and Shipp would swoop in for the vulture. If that doesn't happen, Edge might not have been considered a bust last year.

Also, in games where both Leinart and Fitzgerald played, Edge had a 4.4 YPC. While some of that is probably coincidence, I think with another year of experience for Leinart, healthy receivers and an improved offensive line, the dismal YPC should go up. And a new offensive philosophy should ensure Edge gets his share of carries.

Projections

335 carries/1273 yards (3.8 YPC)/9 rush TD

34 catches/221 yards/1 rec TD

He's going to be a real value pick this year, relative to where he'll be drafted. Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt will have the Cards offense looking like Pittsburgh's run-oriented style, in no time.

There was a story about one of the reasons the coaching staff was moving Levi Brown to the RT spot, not only to protect Leinart's blind side, but also because, if I remember correctly, he wasn't as effective running right as as he was running left..either way, there should definitely be an uptick in James' stats this season.

345 carries, 1380 yards, 12 tds...(fixed. I originally put him down for 4.3, but I'll regress to 4.0 per carry.)

there isn't anyone worth noting on that offense who is going to steal carries away from him. Whisenhunt joined the Steelers in 2001, and Grimm started in 2000. Since 2001, the Steelers have averaged running the football 529 times per year.

2001 finished the season 2nd in rush attempts.

2002 1st in rush attempts

2003 17th

2004 1st

2005 1st

2006 15th

thats a great pedigree, any way you slice it....its been said that season ending trends are what to look for, in terms of what players to target the following year in your fantasy drafts..Edge really turned on the jets in the second half of the season, perhaps a sign of good things to come in 2007...?

I like this coaching staff, a lot..Az can be a surprise team in 2007, not unlike N.O. was in 2006..

Last edited by a moderator:
Edge's TDs were flukishly low last season. The Cardinals were effective running the ball in the red zone, but it just so happened that after long drives Edge would wear down at the goal line and Shipp would swoop in for the vulture. If that doesn't happen, Edge might not have been considered a bust last year.

Also, in games where both Leinart and Fitzgerald played, Edge had a 4.4 YPC. While some of that is probably coincidence, I think with another year of experience for Leinart, healthy receivers and an improved offensive line, the dismal YPC should go up. And a new offensive philosophy should ensure Edge gets his share of carries.

Projections

335 carries/1273 yards (3.8 YPC)/9 rush TD

34 catches/221 yards/1 rec TD
:wall: I like this projection and the rationale.

Like many in this thread, I expect the Pittsburg coaching and the slight uptick by the offensive line AND Edge James toward the end of last year signals a nice value play for those that draft Edge for the 2007 season. I think that Arizona will run the ball just as much as last year and possibly a little more. Edge will continue to get the lion's share of the carries AND will continue to be involved in the passing game.

A very nice bounce back year for Edge. As badly as he disappointed last season, he will surprise in 07.

Edge James 330 carries for 1390 yards (4.2 ypc) and 48 receptions for 320 yards and 10 total TDs

A nice bargain at RB 18, really bad news for 12-team leagues if he gets paired with LT and a nice WR for the guy drafting first.

I'm surprised Edge has gotten such little discussion; he should be a player of considerable debate this year. Two seasons ago, the Cardinals finished dead last rushing yards, attempts, yards per rush and rushing touchdowns. It was an display of historic ineptitude. The team went out and acquired Edge; and while no one was expecting miracles, few if any expected Edge would flounder the way he did.

The Cardinals REMAINED the league's worst rushing unit averaging an astoundingly low 3.19 yards per rush. James regressed with just a 3.4 yards per carry average; almost 0.8 yards below his career average. His 6 rushing TDs tripled the team's output from the prior year, but Marcel Shipp of all people vultured 4 scores away from Edge.

On the plus side, Edge is only 29 (seems a lot older, doesn't he?), the Cardinals have improved their offensive line [because really any addition would be an improvement], and have DRAMATICALLY improved their offensive coaching staff, particularly as it relates to establishing an effective rushing attack.

James finished RB20 last year, so if one expects any improvement [which would be logical IMHO], he seems a safe bet as your RB2. The question becomes, does he offer enough value to deliver results more reminiscent of his top-10 days as a Colt?

I'm surprised Edge has gotten such little discussion; he should be a player of considerable debate this year. Two seasons ago, the Cardinals finished dead last rushing yards, attempts, yards per rush and rushing touchdowns. It was an display of historic ineptitude. The team went out and acquired Edge; and while no one was expecting miracles, few if any expected Edge would flounder the way he did.

The Cardinals REMAINED the league's worst rushing unit averaging an astoundingly low 3.19 yards per rush. James regressed with just a 3.4 yards per carry average; almost 0.8 yards below his career average. His 6 rushing TDs tripled the team's output from the prior year, but Marcel Shipp of all people vultured 4 scores away from Edge.

On the plus side, Edge is only 29 (seems a lot older, doesn't he?), the Cardinals have improved their offensive line [because really any addition would be an improvement], and have DRAMATICALLY improved their offensive coaching staff, particularly as it relates to establishing an effective rushing attack.

James finished RB20 last year, so if one expects any improvement [which would be logical IMHO], he seems a safe bet as your RB2. The question becomes, does he offer enough value to deliver results more reminiscent of his top-10 days as a Colt?
I would answer "No" to this question due to the fact that there is not the same amount of explosive dominance that Manning and Co. have. Edge was the benefactor of many huge leads which surely helped his #s. The Cards are improving, and have been over the past 3-4 years, but they will be "in" most of their games so to speak. Edge will perform, which is what he is paid to do, but it would be silly to expect him to regain his Colts like stats.1200 8 300 2

I would answer "No" to this question due to the fact that there is not the same amount of explosive dominance that Manning and Co. have. Edge was the benefactor of many huge leads which surely helped his #s. The Cards are improving, and have been over the past 3-4 years, but they will be "in" most of their games so to speak. Edge will perform, which is what he is paid to do, but it would be silly to expect him to regain his Colts like stats.1200 8 300 2
You don't think that the new coaching staff may realize that Edge is their greatest defensive weapon? If they can control the clock by pounding the ball they can keep the opposing O off the field. It doesn't require a lead late in the game for a RB to get a bunch of carries. It could simply require a coaching mindset of ball control offense. Think about it. Pound Edge till the D cheats up and leaves Fitz and Boldin 1 on 1 and burn the D with the deep ball. Then when they double up the WR's run Edge all day till they pull the Safeties to help with the run, and repeat. :football:

As I see it, the uber elite Edge (top 2 RB along with Faulk) ceased to exist when he suffered his knee injury. The Top 5-10 stud back ceased to exist when he left the Colts.

However, I think this is the year Edge represents decent value for all the reasons Jason spelled out. As I keep saying, give me the back that will touch the ball 350 times over someone in a RBBC (at least at the point Edge will be getting drafted at).

He should see a few more yards with a slightly better ypc and should also net a few more TD with the emphasis more on the run in Arizona. I'd project 1200/300/9. I would think he'll end up in the 10-15 range depending how other backs in the league do and how many TD Edge can muster.

I would be surprised if the Cards finish dead last in rushing this season; bottom ten, probably.

As long as he is healthy, I think you know what you're going to get with EJ; ~20 carries a game, 40 or so receptions and a handful of TDs. Arizona backs have never scored a lot, so barring somekind of miracle, I just don't see 10 or more rushing TDs for James, lucky if he gets ten total.

This is a pass first team, and with the O-line/WRs, it should be. I see a bit better YPC for him this season. In the last eight games of last year, he only averaged under 4.0 YPC twice, one of which he only had 4 carries.

Bottom Line:

310 carries

1300 yards rushing

8 rushing TDs

40 catches

300 yards receiveing

0 Receiving TDs

In terms of fantasy football, he's a spot player. He's a decent RB2 who you'd play on matchups that are neutral and better.

Against teams that have a solid run defense, he's the tye of guy now where he'll be bottled up and struggling to get many points at all because he just doesn't have that big play potential where he could just rip something off after being contained for most of the game.

Overall stats:

1150 yards rushing

280 receiving

8 Td's total

As I see it, the uber elite Edge (top 2 RB along with Faulk) ceased to exist when he suffered his knee injury. The Top 5-10 stud back ceased to exist when he left the Colts.

However, I think this is the year Edge represents decent value for all the reasons Jason spelled out. As I keep saying, give me the back that will touch the ball 350 times over someone in a RBBC (at least at the point Edge will be getting drafted at).

He should see a few more yards with a slightly better ypc and should also net a few more TD with the emphasis more on the run in Arizona. I'd project 1200/300/9. I would think he'll end up in the 10-15 range depending how other backs in the league do and how many TD Edge can muster.
Somewhat agree on 1st part above, very much agree with 2d part. It IMO would be hard for a RB to really be less than at least decent on that Colts team unless he was a truly marginal RB. Not saying he didn't/doesn't have talent of course, but his stats were quite "inflated" by the situation. People also seem to have forgotten he is not good at the goal line.You could do worse for a RB2 for sure, but I hope to do a little better.

I see the automatic improvement for Edge with the coaching staff as stated before.

Not only do they get wisenhunt, but also Grimm, who was one of the original Hogs.

Their offensive line isn't as bad as people think. Oliver Ross(LT) will be reunited with his former coaches, Reggie Wells is big and needs development, Al Johnson is a good technician, Duece Lutui(a second round pick last year), Levi Brown (1st round pick this year). The top backup is Mike Gandy who has experience all over the line. With Grimm, he will be able to develop and make this a cohesive unit.

Edge also ended the year very well last season.

I expect nothing less than 1300 and 12 TD's.

But I recently pick Edge 42 overall in a 14 team league to be my RB2 and thought it was great value.

I see the automatic improvement for Edge with the coaching staff as stated before.Not only do they get wisenhunt, but also Grimm, who was one of the original Hogs.Their offensive line isn't as bad as people think. Oliver Ross(LT) will be reunited with his former coaches, Reggie Wells is big and needs development, Al Johnson is a good technician, Duece Lutui(a second round pick last year), Levi Brown (1st round pick this year). The top backup is Mike Gandy who has experience all over the line. With Grimm, he will be able to develop and make this a cohesive unit.Edge also ended the year very well last season.I expect nothing less than 1300 and 12 TD's.But I recently pick Edge 42 overall in a 14 team league to be my RB2 and thought it was great value.
That's funny. I'm in a 14-teamer as well and have the 14th pick just like you. I'm considering taking him at the 14/15, I can't believe he actually dropped to 42 in your draft

I see the automatic improvement for Edge with the coaching staff as stated before.Not only do they get wisenhunt, but also Grimm, who was one of the original Hogs.Their offensive line isn't as bad as people think. Oliver Ross(LT) will be reunited with his former coaches, Reggie Wells is big and needs development, Al Johnson is a good technician, Duece Lutui(a second round pick last year), Levi Brown (1st round pick this year). The top backup is Mike Gandy who has experience all over the line. With Grimm, he will be able to develop and make this a cohesive unit.Edge also ended the year very well last season.I expect nothing less than 1300 and 12 TD's.But I recently pick Edge 42 overall in a 14 team league to be my RB2 and thought it was great value.
That's funny. I'm in a 14-teamer as well and have the 14th pick just like you. I'm considering taking him at the 14/15, I can't believe he actually dropped to 42 in your draft
I actually had the 11 pick position. But I traded down twice and got Manning at 21, Benson at 24, and then Housh at 39 and then I took James at 42. Our league is a bit different in that no PPR for RB, 1 for WR, and 2 for TE's though.

Edge = Value in 2007

I think that he's going to make many owners happy when they select him in the 2nd round. To me the RB2 tier is weak, and James is going to be a solid RB2. I would be happy to land him in the 2nd round, and actually I'm starting to target him.

I would be surprised if the Cards finish dead last in rushing this season; bottom ten, probably.

As long as he is healthy, I think you know what you're going to get with EJ; ~20 carries a game, 40 or so receptions and a handful of TDs. Arizona backs have never scored a lot, so barring somekind of miracle, I just don't see 10 or more rushing TDs for James, lucky if he gets ten total.

This is a pass first team, and with the O-line/WRs, it should be. I see a bit better YPC for him this season. In the last eight games of last year, he only averaged under 4.0 YPC twice, one of which he only had 4 carries.

Bottom Line:

310 carries

1300 yards rushing

8 rushing TDs

40 catches

300 yards receiveing

0 Receiving TDs
Minnesota RB's never scored a lot under Denny Green, either. just because they haven't scored a lot in the past, does not mean they won't score a lot in the future..Az Rb's never scored much, because they never were that good to begin with. most were overrated players ( JJ Arrington, Pittman, Thomas Jones), or a washed up Emmitt Smith. part of it was due to a pass-first offensive philosophy ( Green), and the rest of it was due to the team trailing in most games, abandoning the run for the pass to play catch-up. its not like a new coaching staff can't change the team's identity..

I am still a little concerned about that line, but they will be improved. Deuce Lutui is going to be a pro bowl guard very soon, and I like the Levi Brown pick. The reaction to the pick reminds me of a time when another Levi was drafted several years ago - Levi Jones. People couldn't believe the Bengals took him so high, they already had Willie Anderson . . . etc, and Jones has turned into a very solid bookend. Grimm will get the best out of Jones, that is for sure. I think if Al Johnson starts at center, that will bring a more physical presence in the running game and Edge should find more holes in the middle.

I am not seeing a 4.5 ypc, but I can see him getting 1200 yard rushing season with 8-10 tds, and 30-40 catches for an additional 200-300 yards and a couple scores. If people look at his abysmal season last year, I think there is a lot of value to be had.

I just don't see the Edge rebound this year like many are predicting in this thread. Arizona's new coaching staff doesn't play tackle and guard. And as much as they would love to run the ball 600 times this season, it's just not happening.

Arizona is not a good running team. They play from behind a lot. Their O-line constantly allows penetration behind the LOS. They have the best 1-2 punch in the league at WR, one of those being the best redzone WR in the NFL.

Edge as an NFL RB is average at best at this point in his career. He doesn't break many tackles, he doesn't have elite speed or quickness, and he doesn't juke especially well. The one redeeming factor I saw from Edge last season was his ability to fall forward for the extra 1 or 2 yards. Bottomline Edge's ypc of 3.4 is Kevan Barlow-esqe.

Shipp. Arrington. Edge. Edge again. Arizona RBs are always overvalued at this time of the year.

290/1100/7, 30/225/0

To be fair, last year marked the second time in the last three years that Edge's conversion percentage on goaline carries was amongst the worst of starting RBs in the NFL so I'm not sure if I would call that fluky. Shipp scored one fewer goaline touchdown than Edge on one third the goaline carries, and this is nothing new from Edge who was putrid from down there not only last year, but also in 2004 with Indy which (as I argued at the time) was likely one of the reasons for Peyton's record breaking TD season (after Edge got an extraordinary amount of goaline carries early in the season and did historically little with them, Indy started throwing inside the 5 and saw their conversion percentage quadruple, and hence continued throwing inside the 5 since it was infinitely more effective than the awful results they were getting out of handing it off to Edge down there).

Edge was seriously overvalued last year as a talented back going into a terrible situation; people looked at his talent and discounted the situation. This year, I think the projections and ADP show a lag in understanding of how his situation has improved; he is currently being taken as RB#16 in the mid-second round, but he has potential to return to the top 10.

There are two reasons I believe his situation will be better in 2007. One is the coaching change; there are a lot of parallels between Pittsburgh in 2004-2005 and Arizona in 2007. Whisenhunt loves to run--Pittsburgh ranked #1 in rushing attempts in those two years. Arizona ranked #29 in attempts in 2006.

Obviously, Edge will need to do better than 3.4 ypc to be a top-10 RB, even if he gets a lot of attempts. I'm optimistic about that because of his 2006 splits; in the second half of 2006, Edge actually averaged 4.2 yards per carry after averaging 2.8 in the first half of the year. The line finally seemed to gel after years of sucking, and Leinart's second-half splits also showed improvement.

I think Edge will get a smaller percentage of the RB touches in 2007, but the overall RB workload will go up, leaving Edge in the same general area in terms of touches. I think the offense in general will be more productive, and Edge will be more productive with his touches.

1312 rushing yards, 8 TDs, 250 receiving yards, 1 TD. Good for approximately RB#10.

I'm going to project mild improvement on ypc to about 4.0 ypc this year. He averaged a little over that the last two months of the season, and I could see the developing personnel on the line managing to stretch what they did over the last two months over an entire season. In the final month Edge rushed for over 100 yards 3 out of 5 times, coming against Seattle, San Fran, and St. Louis, not exactly stout defenses against the run. BTW, those three 100+ yard games were his only ones of 2006.

345 c for 1380 ruyds; 7 TDs, 40 rec for 300 and 3 TDs

nothing spectacular but good for a RB2

sholditch said:
345 c for 1380 ruyds; 7 TDs, 40 rec for 300 and 3 TDsnothing spectacular but good for a RB2
1680 total yards and 10 TDs would probably put Edge into the top 8 RBs, worth a mid first-round selection. (Much better than "good for a RB2").

sholditch said:
345 c for 1380 ruyds; 7 TDs, 40 rec for 300 and 3 TDsnothing spectacular but good for a RB2
1680 total yards and 10 TDs would probably put Edge into the top 8 RBs, worth a mid first-round selection. (Much better than "good for a RB2").
I expect more out of my RB2 than I do from my RB1. It's a motivational tactic I learned from Shanahan.

he could bounce back this year and they can put it all together. im starting to think he might be a great late second rounder . we all know he will get 300++ carries and this year could be 10 tds. what do you guys think ?

Odds are he will be available if you have pick 1-3 in a 12 teamer. He also will be one of the few remaining options for you to get a 2nd RB without RBBC implications. The price one pays for having a high draft pick. As to weather he will be worth it, I say yes, but bear in mind I live in Phoenix. So aside from being a Bears fan, I put the Cards as my #2. The new coaching regime imported from Pittsburgh would reinforce the likelihood of running the ball, so a lot falls onto the defense to allow that to happen. As has been discussed ad nassem, the skill players around him justify that he should have some room to maneveure. For the sake of the Phoenix fair weather fans, I hope so.

I think many forget how good Grimm is with OLines. I am thinking Edge could be a bargain around the 2/3 turn for owners picking early in the odd rounds.

I won't have anything to do with the Arizona running game until that line shows some life.
The last 5 games of 2006 James had 11 carries for 464 yards(4.2 ypc). In 3 of those games he went for over 100 yards. I think that would qualify as showing signs of life.

I almost want to bite my tongue, but I can't. Edge is a friggin steal this year in redraft leagues. He had 375 touches last year (5th highest in the NFL), and has little competition once again. He's the safest RB2 in the league, and he seems to be falling to the late 2nd/early 3rd. I'll be all over him.

I won't have anything to do with the Arizona running game until that line shows some life.
he avg'd nearly 4.2 per carry the last 7 games of 2006..including 3 100+ yard games.thats a sign of things to come. that was also with the `chuck-n-duck Denny Green pass-happy offense`.someone on this site posted an interesting stat rencently:in games in which BOTH Leinart AND Boldin played, Edge avg'd 4.7 per carry.that is SCARY good,considering the team he plays for.if I can expect Edge to run for 4.7 per carry this season, I'll be very happy..he's money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. I'd take him over the following overhyped 'young' guys,anyday:Caddy WilliamsDeAngelo WilliamsDeShaun foster Kevin JonesPortis ( full blown RBBC in Washington )Ronnie Brown ( if Camreon can't get things going with that Miami offense)and some older retreads like Jamal LewisFred Taylorhe will finish the season as a top 10 RB, IMO, he's going to finish just behind LT,LJ,Sjax, Rudi, Gore ( if he stays injury free). Probably RB #6-8..everyone of the young guys I've mentioned above: Caddy,KJ, D'will, D'foster, Portis, Ronnie Brown, ALL have MORE question marks surrounding them, than Edge does..he's a great value pick this season,any way you slice it.

he avg'd nearly 4.2 per carry the last 7 games of 2006..including 3 100+ yard games.thats a sign of things to come. that was also with the `chuck-n-duck Denny Green pass-happy offense`.someone on this site posted an interesting stat rencently:in games in which BOTH Leinart AND Boldin played, Edge avg'd 4.7 per carry.that is SCARY good,considering the team he plays for.if I can expect Edge to run for 4.7 per carry this season, I'll be very happy..he's money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. I'd take him over the following overhyped 'young' guys,anyday:Caddy WilliamsDeAngelo WilliamsDeShaun foster Kevin JonesPortis ( full blown RBBC in Washington )Ronnie Brown ( if Camreon can't get things going with that Miami offense)and some older retreads like Jamal LewisFred Taylorhe will finish the season as a top 10 RB, IMO, he's going to finish just behind LT,LJ,Sjax, Rudi, Gore ( if he stays injury free). Probably RB #6-8..everyone of the young guys I've mentioned above: Caddy,KJ, D'will, D'foster, Portis, Ronnie Brown, ALL have MORE question marks surrounding them, than Edge does..he's a great value pick this season,any way you slice it.
I did not know that, very good info and that does qualify, I'll have to re-rank Edge for this year.

if I can expect Edge to run for 4.7 per carry this season, I'll be very happy..
Edge has never averaged 4.7 per carry in his career, despite playing for a much better team for most of it.But he will almost certainly do better than last year. I have him sitting around RB#10.

:blackdot: I got him ranked as the #12 RB and would LOVE to get him as my RB2. Pretty confident he will be a great pick this year.

You have to think that with Grimm working with the OLine and Whisenhunt's goal of 550 carries for all backs, that James should have a good year. In PPR leagues I rated him 13th for an upcoming magazine.

That said there ARE a few caveats:

1) He is a little older and a tad slower than prime years - I doubt he takes anything over 15 yards to the house (IIRC he hasn't had a TD run of 20+ in over two years)

2) A key will be the Arizona DS because if they don't improve enough to stay in games then in an effort to catch up the Cardinals will have to pass more than they (and Edge owners) would like.

3) I doubt you will see him last into the third round in many "real" drafts. Those committed to starting RB-RB will have him as one of the choices at any point in the second round - BUT I do agree that he makes a nice RB2

Even if the new coaching staff focuses more on the run, how much improvement can we reasonably expect for Edge? I'll give him a slight uptick in YPC, but that is about it, IMO.

1.) The workload was there last year. More than 337 carries on a team that will be playing from behind a lot isn't too likely.

2.) Offensive line, even if improved, is still a huge weakness in AZ.

3.) The strength of this team lies in the young talent at QB and WR, not in the ground game.

4.) As noted earlier, Edge is just not a great goal line RB.

5.) Whisenhunt and Grimm never featured the RBs in the passing game at all in Pittsburgh.

325 carries for 1220 yards, 30 catches for 175 yards, 7 total TDs

Even if the new coaching staff focuses more on the run, how much improvement can we reasonably expect for Edge? I'll give him a slight uptick in YPC, but that is about it, IMO.1.) The workload was there last year. More than 337 carries on a team that will be playing from behind a lot isn't too likely.2.) Offensive line, even if improved, is still a huge weakness in AZ.3.) The strength of this team lies in the young talent at QB and WR, not in the ground game.4.) As noted earlier, Edge is just not a great goal line RB.5.) Whisenhunt and Grimm never featured the RBs in the passing game at all in Pittsburgh.325 carries for 1220 yards, 30 catches for 175 yards, 7 total TDs
The season you projected would have ranked Edge as the #14 RB last year and just 9 fantasy points away from the #10 slot.

I agree with him being a pretty safe/solid RB2. I didn't mean to seem all "doom & gloom" with my comments (which, in hindsight, were all negative) but I was just expressing that I don't see him with 1600+ and 10+ TDs, which some people seem to think likely.

James is in for another sub par season and because he is not a great goaline back and Arizona does not score many rushing TD's he rarely will help you out on those days he gets 58 yards rushing and 10 yards receiving with 0 TD's.

Now, I know there has been some pretty big moves made in Arizona, but until that O-line shows me something I am not biting on all this Edge value talk. He will be a borderline RB 2 again this season.

320 attempts at 3.5 ypc for 1120 rushing yards.

30 receptions at 6.0 ypc for 180 yards

5 TD's

1300 combined yards for 5 TD's.

-A very mediocre RB 2 that won't help you win many weeks.

James is in for another sub par season and because he is not a great goaline back and Arizona does not score many rushing TD's he rarely will help you out on those days he gets 58 yards rushing and 10 yards receiving with 0 TD's.Now, I know there has been some pretty big moves made in Arizona, but until that O-line shows me something I am not biting on all this Edge value talk. He will be a borderline RB 2 again this season.320 attempts at 3.5 ypc for 1120 rushing yards.30 receptions at 6.0 ypc for 180 yards5 TD's1300 combined yards for 5 TD's. -A very mediocre RB 2 that won't help you win many weeks.
What would be enough to have the o-line show you "something"? How would you measure this? YPC for the running back? Total number of rushing yards per game?

James is in for another sub par season and because he is not a great goaline back and Arizona does not score many rushing TD's he rarely will help you out on those days he gets 58 yards rushing and 10 yards receiving with 0 TD's.Now, I know there has been some pretty big moves made in Arizona, but until that O-line shows me something I am not biting on all this Edge value talk. He will be a borderline RB 2 again this season.320 attempts at 3.5 ypc for 1120 rushing yards.30 receptions at 6.0 ypc for 180 yards5 TD's1300 combined yards for 5 TD's. -A very mediocre RB 2 that won't help you win many weeks.
What would be enough to have the o-line show you "something"? How would you measure this? YPC for the running back? Total number of rushing yards per game?
-Arizona was 30th out of 32 for rushing yards last season.-They were 32nd (dead last) in avg at 3.2. -They were 21st in rushing TD's with 12. Only 6 to James which would again is a red flag as he is only getting 50% of a bad number.-They were last in rushes over 20 yards (they were the only team in the leauge without even 1).-I think an important stat that people are overlooking is James had plenty of opportunity to perform last year yet he still was a very mediocre RB 2. -James averaged 21.1 rushing attempts per game last season which was 7th in the leauge. Only LJ, LT, SJ (the big 3), along with W. parker, R. Johnson, and S. Alexander had more rusing attempts per game than James. All of these running backs were top 10 fantasy RB's (excluding Alexander due to injury). So what gives? Is James going to average more rushing attempts per game? I highly doubt it and even if he does average more then 21.1 rushes per game will his numbers improve enough to improve on last season's numbers? I think it will be marginal at best.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
So you are predicting him to have a WORSE year this upcoming year than last year? Wow.Did you watch a Cardinals game in the 2nd half of the season, namely the last 6 weeks? They stuck with an oline(up to that point they had a different line each week) and James performed very well.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
So you are predicting him to have a WORSE year this upcoming year than last year? Wow.Did you watch a Cardinals game in the 2nd half of the season, namely the last 6 weeks? They stuck with an oline(up to that point they had a different line each week) and James performed very well.
It would surprise me to see James surpass 1300 yards. I am not going to upgrade James for having 3 good games in the last 6 weeks and project numbers on wishful thinking and what if's. My projections have James doing about the same as last season, but getting less touches to bump him down even more than last season. You mention the last 6 weeks as being good, when in fact 3 of those games were not good at all.Week 11: he had 25 total yards and no td'sWeek 14: he had 72 total yards and 1 TD.Week 16: he had 66 total yards and 1 TD.-There are 3 of his last 6 weeks. Maybe I shoud ask if you watched any of the Cardinals games in the last half of the season.-I feel people are being over optimistic about a running game that has struggled for forever. So I will restate that until the Cards o-line proves me something, then proceed with caution.At this point I wouldn't be to happy about James as my RB 2, but not totally dissapointed either.

-I feel people are being over optimistic about a running game that has struggled for forever. So I will restate that until the Cards o-line proves me something, then proceed with caution.
I don't totally disagree with what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is that once players do something at a certain degree of success, their prices will go up. So if Edge were to show something this year, next year he might again be a Top 10 pick.I would much rather have a RB that will get 350 touches than a back that is in a split carry situation and may not get more than 200. At least WE KNOW Edge is going to get the ball. A LOT.Even if the Cardinals don't improve much on the ground, he ranked in the Top 20 last year and his ADP is very close to that. Basically, if he did not do ANY better, he would still be close to break even.I may or may not draft Edge this year, as I think there may be better options at other positions available around where he'll be taken. I also think that this year there are other backs that could produce close to what Edge might available a couple rounds later, so I would probably rather wait and take those guys later on.

It would surprise me to see James surpass 1300 yards. I am not going to upgrade James for having 3 good games in the last 6 weeks and project numbers on wishful thinking and what if's. My projections have James doing about the same as last season, but getting less touches to bump him down even more than last season. You mention the last 6 weeks as being good, when in fact 3 of those games were not good at all.Week 11: he had 25 total yards and no td'sWeek 14: he had 72 total yards and 1 TD.Week 16: he had 66 total yards and 1 TD.-There are 3 of his last 6 weeks. Maybe I shoud ask if you watched any of the Cardinals games in the last half of the season.-I feel people are being over optimistic about a running game that has struggled for forever. So I will restate that until the Cards o-line proves me something, then proceed with caution.At this point I wouldn't be to happy about James as my RB 2, but not totally dissapointed either.
Before you become too much of a smartass you should go look at those games, after the bye week in week 9 James had only one game where he had less than a 4.0 ypc average....and that was in week 10.In week 11 the Cards faced the Vikings who had the best rush defense in the NFL, by a WIDE margin, but were dead last in passing defense. Edge ran four times that game. The other two games he had limited carries also....14 and 16 carries respectively and averaged 4.5 and 4.1 ypc in those games.The running game was actually pretty decent after the bye week and Edge ran VERY well.So I will restate, watch the games, understand that game, understand the situations, then proceed.....Edit: In week 10 Edge ran for 4.5 ypc. So he didn't drop below 4 the entire second half of the season.

You mention the last 6 weeks as being good, when in fact 3 of those games were not good at all.Week 11: he had 25 total yards and no td'sWeek 14: he had 72 total yards and 1 TD.Week 16: he had 66 total yards and 1 TD.-There are 3 of his last 6 weeks. Maybe I shoud ask if you watched any of the Cardinals games in the last half of the season.
Only one of those games is not good, and as noted, it was due to Edge getting only 4 carries. An RB who averages 66 yards and a TD will score over 200 fantasy points, top-10 numbers. So in the last six games, James had one bad game and five above-average games. If you annualize his numbers from those six games, they come out to 1352 yards and 8 TDs.

Users who are viewing this thread