What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plumbing help, well water pressure issue (1 Viewer)

JetMaxx

Footballguy
We have well supplied water to the house and we've had a couple serious leaks over the past few months and I believe it's caused by too high water pressure. While draining, the pump came on at 40, shut off at 60 but pressure continued to build to almost 90psi. I adjusted the pressure control switch(tall adjustment only), now it comes on at 35 and shuts off at 55 but pressure still builds to almost 90psi. What would cause the pressure to continue to rise after the pump shuts off?

Also, and perhaps related, our shower in the bathroom farthest from the supply runs for about a minute or 2 then shuts off completely for 30 secs, then resumes again without any shutoff after that.

Any ideas?

Are you sure pump is turning off? Is it a jet pump in your house or a deep well pump?

The pump may have a minimum run timer amd be unable to turn on/off quickly or the switch could be faulty.

Has it always built to 90 or is that a new problem?

For the shower run it sounds like the pump is delayed kicking on.

Are you sure pump is turning off? Is it a jet pump in your house or a deep well pump?

The pump may have a minimum run timer amd be unable to turn on/off quickly or the switch could be faulty.

Has it always built to 90 or is that a new problem?

For the shower run it sounds like the pump is delayed kicking on.
Deep well pump. I think it's shutting off by the sound of it. I gave thought to running the water until the pump kicked on then off at 55psi then killing the power to see if that stops the pressure build.

I gave thought to replacing the switch. A lot of sediment in the water here.

Don't know.

Pump is definitely kicking on consistently when pressure drops to 35 psi

First, it appears there could be 2 adjustments to the pressure switch. One is for cut-in and adjusts both cut-in and cut-out together. That sounds like the one you tinkered with. The other adjustments affects cut-out. That could be where you are. Turning off the pump like you're thinking at about 55-60psi could be a good test. http://inspectapedia.com/water/Pressure_Switch_Nut_Adjust.php

This forum seems to be pretty active and might be a worthwhile resource. http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/pumps-and-tanks-well-forum-blog.4/

If it's not the switch or adjustment I wonder if it's something with the pressure tank. Either damaged bladder or wrong air pressure. Assuming it's a bladder type tank, apparently the way to check it is to turn off the pump, run water from the lowest faucet until it stops, then put an air pressure gauge on the valve on top of the tank to measure air pressure. Should be 2lbs less than the cut on pressure.

So I took it all apart today which revealed that the supply line to the pressure control switch was practically closed shut from rusty sediment. I replaced the line, switch, and pressure gauge and everything is working as it should. $50 repair.

Users who are viewing this thread