What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

plummer update (1 Viewer)

sorry for the new thread I just didn't think it'd get notice as the other 3 I saw were confusing(as the news was)

As a Bronco fan and a fan of Jake Plummer...happy trails amigo. Much rather see him go out in his own style than see him limp along with some second-rate team for the next few years. For every time he broke our hearts, he won it twice.

Tankslap said:
As a Bronco fan and a fan of Jake Plummer...happy trails amigo. Much rather see him go out in his own style than see him limp along with some second-rate team for the next few years. For every time he broke our hearts, he won it twice.
I wouldnt consider the Bucs a "second rate team". The recently won the super bowl and will finish with a better record then the Broncos this year anyway...

Tankslap said:
I wouldnt consider the Bucs a "second rate team". The recently won the super bowl and will finish with a better record then the Broncos this year anyway...
The Raiders made that same super bowl, and look where they are. Things change VERY quickly in this league.

Tankslap said:
The Raiders made that same super bowl, and look where they are. Things change VERY quickly in this league.
Doesn't make them a 'second-rate team' -- the Bucs just won their division and 11 games one small year earlier.Amazing how short the memories here.

I imagine there is some behind the scenes talks still going on here. That's a big contract to leave on the table, IIRC>

Tankslap said:
Sorry, I meant this in a very general sense, not as a slam against TB in particular. That said, I wouldn't call the Bucs a "first rate team" either.

Tankslap said:
Doesn't make them a 'second-rate team' -- the Bucs just won their division and 11 games one small year earlier.Amazing how short the memories here.
They have been a 2nd rate team. But that doesn't mean they will be... Like Lattimer says, things change quickly. There's no way you can put them in the same tier as the Chargers, Patriots, Bears, Colts, etc.

Tankslap said:
Saints were a 2nd rate team 2 years ago too right? :confused:

Is Plummer officially retired - with paperwork and all in... or is it just his notice to the public that he's retired?

Saints were a 2nd rate team 2 years ago too right? ;)
That's correct. And they were 22 years ago too and every year in between. What's your point? :loco:

What a raw deal he got. I'll say it again, despite his poor play last season weren't the Broncos 7-2 when he got benched? How'd that work out for you, Bronco fan?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a raw deal he got. I'll say it again, despite his poor play last season weren't the Broncos 7-2 when he got benched? How'd that work out for you, Bronco fan?
They were 7-4, and got most of the wins because of how the defense played during the first 6 or so games. Jake and the rest of the offense were playing terribly. The Bronco's points-per-game went up quite a bit when Cutler stepped in. I can't say it was a bad move by Shanny but you are right, he got a raw deal.

A career spare. 50/50 split on TD/INT sub 80 career QBR and I'm assuming a <.500 winning %.

Good riddance except for the fact that for some reason he was overvalued for so long in FFL drafts.

I remember posting in 2005 that the Broncos should look to replace Plummer since he was getting older (31) and wouldn't play much longer and being told that he would be with the Broncos another 5 years.

I remember posting in 2005 that the Broncos should look to replace Plummer since he was getting older (31) and wouldn't play much longer and being told that he would be with the Broncos another 5 years.
link?just kidding

I remember being told that Mike Bell was going to be the Broncos main running back, and that Shanny never lies.

I remember being told that Mike Bell was going to be the Broncos main running back, and that Shanny never lies.
:goodposting:

Plummer hasn't retired as far as I know. He has to officially turn in his papers which as far as I know he has not done.

Jake Plummer-QB- Buccaneers Mar. 7 - 12:17 pm et

Profootballtalk.com reports that Jake Plummer is "bluffing" about his plans to retire.

It's believed Plummer wants to play for Houston, and that he very well may get dealt there in the end. Plummer posted a message on his website saying thanks to his fans, but hasn't formally filed retirement paperwork with the NFL.

Source: Profootbaltalk.com

Jake Plummer-QB- Buccaneers Mar. 7 - 12:17 pm et Profootballtalk.com reports that Jake Plummer is "bluffing" about his plans to retire.It's believed Plummer wants to play for Houston, and that he very well may get dealt there in the end. Plummer posted a message on his website saying thanks to his fans, but hasn't formally filed retirement paperwork with the NFL.Source: Profootbaltalk.com
Denver newspaper link above, CNNSI, ESPN, and radio have all said he filed the papers. Kinda hard to believe PFT here

Profootballtalk.com reports that Jake Plummer is "bluffing" about his plans to retire.

It's believed Plummer wants to play for Houston, and that he very well may get dealt there in the end. Plummer posted a message on his website saying thanks to his fans, but hasn't formally filed retirement paperwork with the NFL.

Denver newspaper link above, CNNSI, ESPN, and radio have all said he filed the papers. Kinda hard to believe PFT here
They all appear to have egg on their faces thus far. Plummer has not officially filed papers according to the NFL.Rocky Mountain News

Last edited by a moderator:
On the D. Patrick Show, R. Riley said that Plummer was retiring to go into the Peace Corps.

If true, good for him.

But I suspect that he wants to play in Houston because he likes Kubiak, knows the system and doesn't want to learn a new one, and would be the starter.

The problem is that TB would want at least what they gave up for him, if not more. Seems like Houston does not want to match that price.

They all appear to have egg on their faces thus far. Plummer has not officially filed papers according to the NFL.Rocky Mountain News
If he hasn't officially retired then Tampa Bay has his rights. Correct?

The Denver Post has gone back on what they stated in the earlier link I posted above (which is still a visible article, by the way, saying he has filed the papers). This is the current Denver Post article.

An NFL spokesman said the league has not received the retirement papers of Jake Plummer.

Plummer is now under contract with Tampa Bay. THey gave up a conditional 2008 pick. My guess is that they will try to trade him to Houston (or another team) or simply squat on his rights. Since the pick was conditional, it is likely that if he does retire and never plays for TB, then TB keeps the pick.

where is SSOG?
:bye:
where is SSOG?
With Henry signed and no RB controversy, the poor guy will have nothing to write about. :nerd: I miss his War and Peace-sized posts.
Come on, if you think the lack of instability in the backfield is going to prevent me from posting novels worth of information, then you don't know me very well :) .Besides, there is a little bit of controversy, still. I don't like Henry, I think he's pretty mediocre and overrated, I don't think he's a high-character guy to make up for it, and I'm pretty bummed out that Denver overpaid so much for him. I view him as a Reuben Droughns, only at 5 times the cost.He'll play well and get his numbers, and he definitely "fits the system", I just don't think he was worth the money. Denver was trying to get Betts from Washington, but I was sad to see that fall through, because I feel exactly the OPPOSITE about Betts- I think he's underrated and underpriced.My one consolation is that, at least with Henry around I can be sure we won't make a play for Adrian Peterson. He might make a great pro (his mediocre last couple of seasons still stick in my mind, though), but no way does he produce enough to justify what he would have cost.
Even if he does retire, Tampa Bay still holds his rights. There's a "reserve/retired" list they can put him on so they retain his rights without paying for his (lack of) services. It's the same thing with Barry Sanders, how everyone was speculating for a couple of years that he might resurface with another team, but he couldn't have even if he wanted to because Detroit still held his rights. I mean, if all a player had to do to get away from a team was retire and then unretire, then we wouldn't have disgruntled players anymore. Junior Seau only managed to pull it off because he retired after he got cut by Miami (so they no longer held his rights).Heck, Adam Meadows retired from the Carolina Panthers years ago, but when he unretired this year he still had to first get them to relinquish his rights (which they did because they always liked Meadows, and because he repaid his entire signing bonus even though he didn't have to when he retired).For what it's worth, I believe that we've seen the last of Jake Plummer. He was never very comfortable in the spotlight, and the quarterback controversy this season seemed to take a lot out of him. I suppose this all could be a ploy to try to wind up in Houston, but I think it's more likely that that he pulls a Gary Zimmerman, buys a house in the middle of the wilderness miles away from civilization, and disappears never to be heard from again.

Come on, if you think the lack of instability in the backfield is going to prevent me from posting novels worth of information, then you don't know me very well ;) .
Good, because although I don't always agree, I do like reading your stuff. You often offer food for thought others don't come up with. :excited:

Users who are viewing this thread